Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2GMario

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2004
brought a smile to my face

now its my homepage

i've been using os x for almost 2 years now and i leave the magnifing on

i just think its easier to know what ur clicking on before u click on it. not so much for switching between programs, expose cannot be beat for that.

-Mario

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Looks nifty, but there's one HUGE problem (at least that I see)..

The cursor focus isn't automatically in the search field!! "Web Search" isn't the default choice.

I have to go to the page and then manually click in the search field (or web search) before I can start typing things in. I've become very accustomed to going to http://www.google.com and simply start typing and the extra step is a bit annoying.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Bendit said:
I turned off magnification in the dock after a couple of days, and I assume everyone else would to.

Sure it's nice to look at but it's completely useless and always gets in the way.

eh I have a bit of magnification on my dock simply because I think it's damn cool! I've got it small enough that it doesn't get in the way but I just like running my mouse over the dock....yeah I'm a recent switcher...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Savage Henry said:
That's another cool thing to know. Cheers.

Seems like today will be one of them learning ones with things what be good.

now that is useful, especially to someone who doesnt have the greatest spelling such as myself

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
fabsgwu said:
If you use it regularly, I bet the icons will start to make sense. Sort of like how I don't even need the labels for my dock now, I just know what to click on.

Yeah, maybe. But I don't use Google as often as the Dock. And even the dock kinda sucks for looking for lesser-used applications. I'm *still* not 100 percent sure that the dock is better than the good ol' apple menu. Sometimes a word says a lot more than an itty-bitty picture.

applebum

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2003
SC
Bendit said:
I turned off magnification in the dock after a couple of days, and I assume everyone else would to.

Sure it's nice to look at but it's completely useless and always gets in the way.

Why would you assume that?? Do you really believe that everyone computes the same way you do?

I love magnification. I always have it on. In fact, I think the dock is incredbly boring without it. However, I don't ASSUME that everyone else does what I do.

This kind of assumption seems to happen in these forums frequently.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
AlmostThere said:
Infuriating, isn't it?

A little bit, yes.. I guess it's just one of those things.. if I wanted to start using this page for my default (which I do't, now), I'll have to learn to click first, then type..

denm316

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia
Bendit said:

It was cool when I first switched for like a day or so, then I turned it off, my girlfriend loves it.

Monk Edsel

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
I love magnification. I have it set to %100! The Dock seems so dead without it. But I can see how some people don't like it.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Monk Edsel said:
I love magnification. I have it set to %100! The Dock seems so dead without it. But I can see how some people don't like it.

how small is your dock? 100% is way too much, i have it turned up, and i have the bouncing icons turned off as well, makes things go a bit smother for myself

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Guess the crack Apple Legal Team have taken it down.

Yes, the dock type interface is copyright by Apple. I don't have the link on me, but it is copyright.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
PlaceofDis said:
nothing for me either, oh well, fun while it lasted i suppose

Odd, I just clicked on it and it's working fine.

Here's a screenshot:

Attachments

• google.jpg
    google.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 294
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.