Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
jsw said:
You can see how it worked for yourself.

Try here.

Yeah, it's funny how the site is popping up other places. Who cares that google took it down? We can save it and use it anyway!

I think I may save a copy on my .mac account to use as a personal start page I can add to and change.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
Yeah it is pretty neat exepct for the fact that it uses I bet at least twice as much bandwidth as the orginal page (non holiday of course). Anyway I saved it... and I use it hehe.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Is is an on-focus mouse-over effect coupled with an animated gif, as to how they achieve the magnification effect within the browser? Or is it Dynamic HTML or some new-fangled technology only created within Google?

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Lacero said:
Is is an on-focus mouse-over effect coupled with an animated gif, as to how they achieve the magnification effect within the browser? Or is it Dynamic HTML or some new-fangled technology only created within Google?

The blog entry said the guy just did it to learn Javascript and DHTML, so I'm guessing that's the 'secret'.

Tinhead

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2004
wordmunger said:
Yeah, maybe. But I don't use Google as often as the Dock. And even the dock kinda sucks for looking for lesser-used applications. I'm *still* not 100 percent sure that the dock is better than the good ol' apple menu. Sometimes a word says a lot more than an itty-bitty picture.

Indeed. I have a real love-hate relationship with the Dock. It has so many usability problems that I really can't say I think it's a great implementation. Missing labels, large size, limited contents, you name it. The Dock does sell OS X, though, as new users are always loving it.

The magnification feature does serve a real purpose, however. If the dock is small the icons are easier to hit if they enlarge. Also, some users (especially elderly ones who don't have the best fine motoric skills anymore) have a tendency to miss the correct icon, so enlarging helps them quite a bit — also with drag-and-drop.

The Dock is a nice idea and very clean. Even though it has problems it's still a lot better than the Start-menu. What is missing is an launcher app, one that would access all the apps on your HD, not just a bunch of favorites. I suppose Spotlight will remedy the problem, even though I still think new and expert users would benefit from a dedicated app launcher.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
wordmunger said:
Yeah, maybe. But I don't use Google as often as the Dock. And even the dock kinda sucks for looking for lesser-used applications. I'm *still* not 100 percent sure that the dock is better than the good ol' apple menu. Sometimes a word says a lot more than an itty-bitty picture.

*starts twitching* must... not... remember... 50-foot long... apple menu... must... not... give..in..to..fear

Seriously though, I hated how when you opened a menu in OS 9 it stopped everything dead in it's tracks till you let go - it's not a good thing when you've got a huge Apple menu to hunt through. and it seems no matter how long I use the Classic Mac OS I can never get used to all the control panels' positions in the control panels menu - I always end up hunting for what I need.

Personally I prefer the dock to the Apple menu... I have a ton of icons in my dock and I recognize every one of them, so I don't need to see a label. The Dock is lacking in a way or two, but I complete it with Quicksilver or Spotlight.

But back on topic -

Yep that's pretty cool! I love the little "poem" on the bottom of the page :p

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
ldburroughs said:
If you were implying I didn't read this, you must not have read my post. You even quoted it??? Oh well, no hard feelings. Have a good one:)

:confused: :confused:

I was just trying to point out that you were a bit late to the party with your post, as you would have known if you had read through the thread before posting.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Lacero said:

It's Dynamic HTML. It's definitely not Google-specific technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.