Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mj1108

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
California
Man, I've been trying to stick with Apple Maps, but Google keeps widening the distance between the two. If Google Maps would add Night Mode, I'd leave Apple's product altogether.

Not sure about the iOS version, but in the Android version when the sun sets it automatically switches to night mode.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
For me it's the traffic display. iOS maps only show bits or small portions of traffic flow. Googles maps show the traffic pattern for every single freeway (in the Bay Area) and that's critical for me. From work I can take 3 different ways home,so depending on the traffic my route will vary. Since iOS maps don't display all the traffic info I need,I'll never use them again. That and in my personal experience iOS maps hasn't been very accurate.

As far as navigation apps (I bought navigon) I'm done with those too. What I don't like with those is you need to know the address to where you want to go.
Now if I'm just looking for the closest Starbucks I can type in Starbucks in google and iOS maps and it will show everyone around me by proximity. That's something you can't do with navigation apps that I've seen. Or you may be able to search for a restaurant,but by the time you've done all that,googles maps will have done it in half the time.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Who would vacation in Toronto?

Is that a knock against Toronto? How about CN Tower's EdgeWalk being a great attraction?

http://www.cntower.ca/en-ca/plan-your-visit/attractions/edgewalk/edgewalk-overview.html

From that page:
It is the world’s highest full circle hands-free walk on a 5 ft (1.5 m) wide ledge encircling the top of the Tower’s main pod, 356m/1168ft (116 storeys) above the ground.

----------

PS: Please lose the "Uber." It sounds childish.

Edit: It seems Uber does exist...

So you had commented in a knee-jerk reaction to the name, then? Lesson be learned. :)

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Who would vacation in Toronto?

That's exactly where I go for vacation.

Royal Ontario Museum, Casa Loma, CN Tower, the huge mall (Eaton) the science center, zoo, etc.

Plus, it's a 90 minute drive from there to visit ice wineries and Niagara Falls.

Goldfinger

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
Belgium
Too bad you can't actually map a route with offline maps.. You can only look at the maps and navigate the old fashioned way. Which is fine but some walking or cycling directions while using offline maps would be very handy.
Oh and they only remain availble for 30 days. You need to load them again every 30 days.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Man, I've been trying to stick with Apple Maps, but Google keeps widening the distance between the two. If Google Maps would add Night Mode, I'd leave Apple's product altogether.

Still no night mode? How do you know, it's not dark yet?

maknik

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
Is there still no method for customizing routes by dragging those little circles, as in the desktop version? That would be really helpful for me, since I often have some sense of which portions of routes are really bad ideas, so I want to be able to nudge Google's routes a bit using my own knowledge.

yoavcs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Israel
What a sad sad day when a Google app seems better designed with a slicker UI than anything Apple has put out in years.

This is what iOS 7 should've looked like.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
I prefer Apple Maps' uncluttered UI and colour scheme, but am on occasion forced to switch to Google Maps:
1. When Apple Maps inexplicably is missing major (newish) roads and freeways, which happens more often in the Vancouver Area than you'd think
2. Whenever I'm searching for businesses. Apple just simply isn't good enough
3. And now, apparently, when I'm in unfamiliar spots, and need lane guidance. Hopefully iOS 8 catches up in all of these areas, or I'm gonna have to jump ship entirely

Huracan

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
Thanks Google for this map update. It's also good to finally have contacts integration. I personally use Google maps daily for checking traffic conditions. I think Apple Maps have improved lately, but I think Google Maps are still the gold standard.

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
Road colours are still wrong for the UK. Bit of a fundamental problem. Can we get the basics right first please Google?

DrTwoFish

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
Is there still no method for customizing routes by dragging those little circles, as in the desktop version? That would be really helpful for me, since I often have some sense of which portions of routes are really bad ideas, so I want to be able to nudge Google's routes a bit using my own knowledge.

I'd like to know this too. I was really excited for this capability when Apple Maps came to OSX - I've wanted for years to be able to design road trips on the desktop and sync to my phone (or, before that, my Garmin). Alas, custom routes aren't even available in the desktop app! Not even sure what the point of the app is, then. I still don't understand why GMaps doesn't support this integration, unless I've been missing it all this time.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I prefer Apple Maps' uncluttered UI and colour scheme, but am on occasion forced to switch to Google Maps:
1. When Apple Maps inexplicably is missing major (newish) roads and freeways, which happens more often in the Vancouver Area than you'd think
2. Whenever I'm searching for businesses. Apple just simply isn't good enough
3. And now, apparently, when I'm in unfamiliar spots, and need lane guidance. Hopefully iOS 8 catches up in all of these areas, or I'm gonna have to jump ship entirely

drive out to burnaby with apple maps and when you drive through the new changes on the highway around the willingdon area, your sanity will go out the window

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
Need to see the updated version. So far Apple maps has been completely accurate.

Will check out new features.

Not disagreeing with you, but I live in a 2 year old subdivision of a Nashville suburb and apple maps guided a friend of mine 5 miles away. Not only that, but it told him to park and to walk the rest of the way to the wrong destination. It also just this month updated to show a 15 mile section of a new interstate that has been open since October. I just cannot trust it.

snprintf

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2014
"Google Maps will now show drivers which lane to use through its new lane guidance feature and it's also easier to access alternate routes while navigating."

Sounds good. I was thinking about this recently. I just wish the Google Maps app wasn't so laggy and unintuitive to use; those are the only reasons I use the less feature-rich default one.

----------

What a sad sad day when a Google app seems better designed with a slicker UI than anything Apple has put out in years.

This is what iOS 7 should've looked like.

You can't really compare a mobile OS to a navigation app, but regardless, iOS 7 still has horrible design in almost every way and in most of its stock apps. Actually though... of all things, I still like how the Maps app looks :eek:

Huracan

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
drive out to burnaby with apple maps and when you drive through the new changes on the highway around the willingdon area, your sanity will go out the window

Does that mean they finally finished all that construction on highway 1? I can't believe it ;)

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Lane guidance is something I've been wanting for a while. I'll give Google another shot next time I need a map.

I see no reason to hate Google for maps. They're competing with Apple and so in the end the people who win are you and I, the consumers that end up having better apps to use regardless of which app we happen to prefer.
I hate the cheesy graphics. I hope the updated them. Feels like map quest from 2000

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
The only thing keeping me from google maps is the lack of Siri integration. If I'm not mistaken, there's a way to get directions out of Apple maps and into google maps though. Don't know how to do I lt though.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
As far as navigation apps (I bought navigon) I'm done with those too.
The only thing I hold on to Navigon for is lane assist, but the screen shots kinda show it. Does this update have lane assist (since I haven't tried it out yet)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.