Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
Huh, the Google maps interface is so bad I can't believe it.
Almost nothing is understandable without reading the clunky help.
For example, I can save a search as favorite, but how do I find it later? I can't even rename it or just show favorites.
Navigon still rules

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
No route saving, epic fail

This has to be the most disappointing update of any software I have ever used, From a company with the staff it has, to deliver this tripe, is just mind blowing.

There is simply no words that can express what a waste of data this was, I have asked for my previous version to be reset, to not have this update, no going to happen.

My ipad has 5GB free space, yet the google genius thinks a file larger than 1.44MB is too huge a file, combined with NO ROUTE OFFLINE saving, this is an update to something better???

Am I missing something here??? How on earth is this update better, I have read the reviews, and this has led me to think that the reviews are either fake, most likely, or the reviews are paid huge sums, either way, it is not worth it, do not update, you will not be sorry!!

cracksoup

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2014
Now if apple would be so kind and let me use Google maps as the default maps app.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
oops google... i am gone already to the other side. :D
oh yea. and the browser based google map in desktop is bad now. i liked the last version more. and again, moved to macs maps now :)

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Why would anyone want to use google maps? Maybe before this latest edition from the nuthouse that is Google. A 3 year old could see the flaws in the iOS version, does anyone at google actually have an ipad mini???

From what I have experienced since the update, it is clear that google staff does not have any access to ipad mini, maybe they have an ipad2!!!

When you plan a route, it is just the thing you need, press a button, save the route to offline, but no in this latest update you are locked into saving 2 city blocks worth of data, without any routing ability...now how is that better???

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I hate the cheesy graphics. I hope the updated them. Feels like map quest from 2000

As do I. I didn't actually say I like Google Maps, and I alluded to the fact I've been using something else recently in my post (I've been using Apple Maps just because it's so much cleaner and easier to use). I just said there's no reason to hate Google for updating their app.

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
I just gave it a try on my 1 year old iPhone 5, latest iOS, and I lost about 1 % of battery for every minute I had it on. After 15 minutes of use, my battery went down from 36 % to 19 % so I had to lock the screen. It then stayed on 19 % with the directions in the background. I don't remember it having such a great impact on the battery before.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
All they're doing is adopting Waze features, but they're not quite there yet.

Still, it's a good step forward.

Waze still has:

- auto day/night mode
- road hazards/police/accidents shown in route
- a smoother UI (in my opinion)

It's only a matter of time until Waze and Google Maps completely merge. It only makes sense, especially as Google Maps gains more and more features from Waze. I imagine there will be some sort of optional "Waze" mode that adds the social layer to Google Maps.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Why would anyone want to use google maps?

Because Apple Maps's POI database, while better than it was at launch, is still nowhere as good as Google's. It's riddled with incomplete or completely inaccurate location data.

The few times I've given Apple Maps another try, it still has the wrong POI location information about 25% of the time for me. That number is high enough that when I do use Apple Maps, I find myself double-checking in Google Maps just to make sure Apple Maps has the POI located in the correct place.

Why go through all those extra steps in order to be able to confidently use Apple Maps when I can just use Google Maps in the first place?

Also, Google updates their maps a lot more often than Apple updates theirs. Here in Metro Atlanta, we had a new ramp open just over a month ago connecting two major freeways in the city. Google Maps showed the new ramp the same day it opened to the public. Apple Maps still does not have it. Apple has a slick UI/UX with Maps, but Google still beats them in the mapping data department hands down.

With navigation, an app that has a polished UI with bad data is far worse than an app with a standard UI with reliable data. I personally don't have a problem with the Google Maps UI but there are clearly others on this thread who are extremely averse to it.

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
I do deliveries on the weekends and use Google maps. Neither are 100% accurate but Google gets me where I need to the vast majority of the time. Apple maps is less accurate to pinpoint a location and has taken me on a couple odd loops before.

As also mentioned Apple is way slower to update their information. From reading a ton of threads over time it appears Apple just doesn't put the resources into Apple maps they need to come close to a parity. People report problems and they never get fixed. I'm sure they work fine most of the time but I trust Google Maps. I don't trust Apple maps.

kuwxman

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2009
oops google... i am gone already to the other side. :D
oh yea. and the browser based google map in desktop is bad now. i liked the last version more. and again, moved to macs maps now :)
No, it isn't, lol. I'll admit the new version of the desktop Maps was subpar when the new update was first released. However, they've finally added in nearly all of the old features again so it is once again the absolute best mapping website available.

Same goes for the mobile Google Maps. Shoot, the Android Google Maps app was one of the reasons why I switched back to Android.

----------

All they're doing is adopting Waze features, but they're not quite there yet.

Still, it's a good step forward.

Waze still has:

- auto day/night mode

- a smoother UI (in my opinion)

It's only a matter of time until Waze and Google Maps completely merge. It only makes sense, especially as Google Maps gains more and more features from Waze. I imagine there will be some sort of optional "Waze" mode that adds the social layer to Google Maps.
I can't speak for the iOS Maps app, but the Android version has both of those options.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
No, it isn't, lol. I'll admit the new version of the desktop Maps was subpar when the new update was first released. However, they've finally added in nearly all of the old features again so it is once again the absolute best mapping website available.

Same goes for the mobile Google Maps. Shoot, the Android Google Maps app was one of the reasons why I switched back to Android.

----------

I can't speak for the iOS Maps app, but the Android version has both of those options.

The Android version of Google Maps shows police and speed traps?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sadly you were correct. Google Maps still has no night mode in iOS. One wonders if they are leaving it out on purpose... Of course they are. Oh well that's our world.
"of course they are" what/why?

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Because Apple Maps's POI database, while better than it was at launch, is still nowhere as good as Google's. It's riddled with incomplete or completely inaccurate location data.

Not picking on you and I think that both company's POIs suck, but I gotta call BS on this, unless Google has added time travel to their app...

Launch Google Maps, search for "Jantzen Beach Center" in Portland. It'll give you directions to the mall that was torn down 2 years ago. I notified Google, it's still there, er, not there, um, but Google says it's there! There's at least 15 POI entries in GMaps on Hayden Island where I work that aren't in that mall that aren't even close to being correctly located. Apple Maps isn't that great either in my area...

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I mean, seriously, do they need to plaster green on every road to show that there's no traffic?

Yes, they do. It shows that there is no traffic issues on that road. Not all roads have traffic info, so if you see green, you can be pretty sure there is no current traffic issues. Without that, you don't know if there is no traffic or just that the road never shows traffic.

----------

Waze still has:

- auto day/night mode

Google Maps shows Waze incidents reports now.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
Can someone explain to me how alternate routes were enhanced to be easier to find one while driving?

I see that you can swipe back and forth at the bottom to switch between routes when you are first previewing your route options. Don't know if that was new or if it was always there and I just didn't know.

Once in navigation, I figured, OK, hit the icon with the two arrows on the right, one darker, one lighter. That just drops me back to the route overview and swiping back and forth at the bottom just brings up more details on the route steps.

If I quit navigation I can swipe back and forth again. That's pretty cool but not something I am likely to safely succeed at while driving.

Did I miss something?
This is a great question, I googled looking for an answer and could not come up with one.

I had to make a quick trip today and tried it... What I did notice were little pop ups saying one minute faster and from what I can tell it was next to a street name. So maybe it was telling me if I turned there the trip would be one minute faster.

Ill be taking a longer trip on Friday and will try agai.

crankypants

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2014
I had to make a quick trip today and tried it... What I did notice were little pop ups saying one minute faster and from what I can tell it was next to a street name. So maybe it was telling me if I turned there the trip would be one minute faster.

I bet you're right, moving is the key. I was sitting at a desk when I played with it earlier. I will try it on the way to work tomorrow and see what it does.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany

----------

I'm using both mac maps. and yep, outside US! and they are good enough for my use.
google maps. not interested anymore. the browser based google map for my desktop is still bad (to me). but hey, apple map is easy to access and does the job well enough for me.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Is that a knock against Toronto? How about CN Tower's EdgeWalk being a great attraction?

Yes, it was a complete knock against Toronto. I've been there a number of times and if I never go back, I will have absolutely no regrets about it.

----------

That's exactly where I go for vacation.

Royal Ontario Museum, Casa Loma, CN Tower, the huge mall (Eaton) the science center, zoo, etc.

Plus, it's a 90 minute drive from there to visit ice wineries and Niagara Falls.

I'm well aware as I am a 90 minute drive from Toronto by the ice wineries and Niagara Falls. I stand by my comment. Niagara Falls is not Toronto.

----------

Even people who live in Toronto want to vacation in Toronto.

Good. Please do that then, because all it seems like Torontonians do is spend their weekends and holidays at the malls in Buffalo.

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
Used the new Google Maps app last night on 10+ deliveries. The new lane guidance worked really well. This area tends to have odd ways of making travel lanes into turn lanes with little to no warning and the lane guidance is a really cool 'heads up' well ahead of time to avoid getting in a turn lane when I need to go straight. The guidance is vocal as well as shown on the screen.

I wish there was a setting to change the order of how route options are displayed. The app mostly shows the shortest route by distance first not the shortest route by time. Sometimes the two are the same and sometimes not. I prefer the shortest route by time. The app also doesn't learn my preferred routing to get back to 'base'. I always get a suggest route that is actually much slower by going through a residential area vs the service road that is much faster. Doesn't matter how many times I've had to scroll down past the first option to get to the one that makes more sense.

All in all Google Maps is light years ahead of Apple Maps in ease of use and accuracy. I gave Apple Maps plenty of opportunity and I just don't trust the routing or accuracy of where they're saying the location actually is. If Google would learn my preferred routes, add a setting to display shortest route by time, and add in some more active Waze generated route alerts I'd be in Heaven.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.