Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
Could be a desperate PR stunt because of bad sales.

Old hardware won't run new software well if there have been many UI changes and new hardware video decoders are required for new video standards. 7 years of updates means nothing if the OS and phone run like **** after 5 years.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
Sure, until you throw a modern video codec or game at it.

Ideally vintage devices and computers should run their optimal system and apps and that's not always the newest system and apps versions.
Never had problems watching videos. All were/are butterly smooth with the X. Don't play games and I would prefer a console if I wanted do. The newest upcoming games don't even run on last year's flagship phone so I think that's not the main task of smart phones. 7 years of OS updates would also reduce e-waste.

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
Never had problems watching videos. All were/are butterly smooth with the X. Don't play games and I would prefer a console if I wanted do. The newest upcoming games don't even run on last year's flagship phone so I think that's not the main task of smart phones.

Sounds like you're making stuff up for a bit of attention.

A phone that old cannot handle the latest video codecs and standards. Photography and filmography on phones progresses rapidly.

7 years of OS updates would also reduce e-waste.

Greenwashing. All smart phones end up being e-waste or discarded regardless of 7 year or 8 years or 9 years of updates, especially if it runs like badly as time goes by.

If you want to reduce e-waste use reputable recycling or keep your device as a vintage item using the fastest system that was available for it, not the software that eventually slowed it down.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
Good move from Google. I hope that everyone follows this. But, how many years can you run with the battery? You will need to change at least 2 times within 7 years. Governments should push companies to make it easier and cheaper to change batteries. To change battery in my iPhone 12PM, it cost around 130 USD at Apple Store which is 400km away. If so called Apple repair centres charge around 140 USD. If it was easier to change batteries, it wouldn't have been so expensive.

I do have a Sony Xperia 1V as a second phone. They give only 2 years Android update, which is a shame.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I would like to introduce you to killedbygoogle. We will see what happens year after year until the final year 7 (if this program even makes it that far) as Google even came out with a service to upgrade the pixel every two years and killed that about 2 months before those who entered that program were due for an upgrade.

We know that Apple follows through with current support, and I truly believe that it is already a good amount of time to support a product vs the cost of it at launch.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
Sounds like you're making stuff up for a bit of attention.

A phone that old cannot handle the latest video codecs and standards. Photography and filmography on phones progresses rapidly.

Greenwashing. All smart phones end up being e-waste or discarded regardless of 7 year or 8 years or 9 years of updates, especially if it runs like badly as time goes by.

If you want to reduce e-waste use reputable recycling or keep your device as a vintage item using the fastest system that was available for it, not the software that eventually slowed it down.
You can still buy every year a new phone. What kind of videos is the X unable to play? Or are you speaking of video creators?

Reactions: antiprotest

Torty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
Good move from Google. I hope that everyone follows this. But, how many years can you run with the battery? You will need to change at least 2 times within 7 years. Governments should push companies to make it easier and cheaper to change batteries. To change battery in my iPhone 12PM, it cost around 130 USD at Apple Store which is 400km away. If so called Apple repair centres charge around 140 USD. If it was easier to change batteries, it wouldn't have been so expensive.

I do have a Sony Xperia 1V as a second phone. They give only 2 years Android update, which is a shame.
Agree but if you are lucky you could do it with only one battery replacement. The possibility to let it only charge to 80% is a first step to make the battery last longer.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Who keeps a phone for 7 years? 7 years is a long time from now. Lets see in 2030 how this one goes. They pushing for sales...that's all.

This.

A very small percentage will keep a phone that long, and those that do probably only do the basics anyway! That’s if the hardware even lasts that long…

Reactions: AlexMac89

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
Google is now giving OS updates for 7 years with its Pixel according media. Will Apple follow? The X only got 5 major updates.

I'm actually pissed that Apple stopped updating the 8 Plus this year. It's not right. That phone still works great, yet I had to upgrade because my work requires the latest iOS.

Sucks.

Where are the EU regulators when you need them (clearly the Americans will let manufacturers golden shower all over the customers).

And Apple trots out this nonsense about sustainability this year. Ridiculous! How much waste are they generating by refusing to provide iOS updates to the 8 Plus series?

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
This.

A very small percentage will keep a phone that long, and those that do probably only do the basics anyway! That’s if the hardware even lasts that long…

Completely not true. My 8 Plus is still going strong. It's a great phone, and I do much more than "the basics," whatever those are!

Reactions: antiprotest

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
This.

Also I can't even imagine how much better or what will be new in smartphones in 2030. No way someone will see that and still be rocking a 2023 old device.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
I'm actually pissed that Apple stopped updating the 8 Plus this year. It's not right. That phone still works great, yet I had to upgrade because my work requires the latest iOS.
If your work requires the newest version of iOS, hopefully it pays well enough to justify upgrading your iPhone every 6 years.

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus (along with iPhone X) came out 6 years ago in 2017, and the phones will continue to receive iOS security updates for 2 to 3 years.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Who keeps a phone for 7 years? 7 years is a long time from now. Lets see in 2030 how this one goes. They pushing for sales...that's all.
Well I went from an almost 6yr old X to a 15 ProMax and the difference in performance is impressive in every respect. I usually upgrade every 2yrs but for some reason I wanted to see how long the X would work for my needs. I doubt I'll wait as long with this phone..

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Well I went from an almost 6yr old X to a 15 ProMax and the difference in performance is impressive in every respect. I usually upgrade every 2yrs but for some reason I wanted to see how long the X would work for my needs. I doubt I'll wait as long with this phone..
Exactly. Anything can happen. Phones gets lost or stolen. Phone no longer in production. This is all BS.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
Also I can't even imagine how much better or what will be new in smartphones in 2030. No way someone will see that and still be rocking a 2023 old device.
The updates getting smaller and smaller. The X and 8 are from 2017. I bet there are still a lot of people using these devices next year. So I bet you can use this year's phones easily in 2030.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
Never trust Google...this can be an 5 years support and after that just some very minor OS upgrades because of the hardware weakness

Don't know if google can be trusted or not but they wrote:

"We’re committing to providing seven years of software support for the Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro, including the latest Android operating system, security updates and ongoing Feature Drops."

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Don't know if google can be trusted or not but they wrote:

"We’re committing to providing seven years of software support for the Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro, including the latest Android operating system, security updates and ongoing Feature Drops."

Yes, but even Apple on older devices, not all features from the latest iOS are available...so expect that to happen
I think 5 years are for sure starting with the Pixel 8 series

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Who keeps a phone for 7 years? 7 years is a long time from now.
That's a joke right?

2023-10-05 07.17.45.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.