Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Long term support is nice but downgrades should also be allowed when one cannot afford to purchase a new one so they will have to go back to a version optimized for the device, it does not matter whether it's Apple, Google, Samsung, etc

Force apple to re-sign at least the last update of the version [iOS 11.4.1, iOS 13.7, etc] and force android manufacturers to stop their downgrade lock... Samsung prevents downgrade once your device is on a certain build/security patch...

Allow users to downgrade to the version designed for their device [or the most optimized], iOS 6.1.4 for iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.3 for iPhone 4s, etc

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Long term support is nice but downgrades should also be allowed when one cannot afford to purchase a new one so they will have to go back to a version optimized for the device, it does not matter whether it's Apple, Google, Samsung, etc

Force apple to re-sign at least the last update of the version [iOS 11.4.1, iOS 13.7, etc] and force android manufacturers to stop their downgrade lock... Samsung prevents downgrade once your device is on a certain build/security patch...

Allow users to downgrade to the version designed for their device [or the most optimized], iOS 6.1.4 for iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.3 for iPhone 4s, etc

I don't think you will ever see that happen. Mostly due to legal teams at the various entities. Undoing security patches (even outdated ones) would expose them to litigation if it was ever proved that an old hack compromised a phone in a way that hurt someone.

As an Apple collector (Mac and iOS devices) I find it frustrating that I have to hack my way into my old devices to downgrade.

I see this as more of a marketing push, than real usability.

Long before 7 yrs, the battery would've degraded ( possibly more than once ), newer devices would have more enticing features, new enhancements and functionality (software) may be with held from the aging devices ( see Apple's mantra ), upgraded hardware ( screen, camera, wifi, modem, build etc ) lucrative offers to upgrade, etc. Plus, its Google.. not really a confidence inspiring track record of keeping their promises ( eg: feature enhancement promises getting delayed )

I doubt many folks will hang on to a device for more than ~ 4-5 years, if that.
I disagree.

Part of what Google is doing with the Pixel 8 is making it more repairable with parts availability with partners such as iFixit. This makes battery replacement more trivial than older devices (well except those with battery doors). My mom (for instance) is perfectly fine running an older XS Max and likely will continue to do so as long as Apple supports it.

She has no interest or intention to upgrade that phone, and I am fine letting her keep it as long as she likes provided it has security patches. Her calls, messages, web browsing, podcast listening, and occasional video viewing is all well supported.

I also know people (much younger than I) that only tap into the basics with their phones, and lean to other devices such as iPads, or other tech to do anything more serious. I don't think (many) of these people who hold phones for a long time are looking into 3D modeling, video editing, advanced games or anything of that nature.

For my work phone, I would still be rocking the Pixel 3 if it was supported.

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Who keeps a phone for 7 years? 7 years is a long time from now. Lets see in 2030 how this one goes. They pushing for sales...that's all.
I’m on 5 rn with no desire to upgrade before it reaches 6. 7 seems reasonable but tbh I don’t see myself upgrading before 8-10 years.

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Well I went from an almost 6yr old X to a 15 ProMax and the difference in performance is impressive in every respect. I usually upgrade every 2yrs but for some reason I wanted to see how long the X would work for my needs. I doubt I'll wait as long with this phone..
Interesting you say this as there was a post the other day about someone going from an XR to the 15 and being underwhelmed which is the way I see the 15.

I’m glad you’re happy though!

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
Google is now giving OS updates for 7 years with its Pixel according media. Will Apple follow? The X only got 5 major updates.

Custom ROMS usually degoogled offer support for older phones that Google or any OEM no longer support. That's probably one of the reasons Google is extending their updates to 7 years.

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Great if it’s true but as others have mentioned, Google has serious commitment issues to any of their products and services outside of GMail and YouTube. They’ve cancelled so many different services over the years, some just after a year, that it’s hard to keep track of them all. Hell, look what they did recent to the Pixel Pass…didn’t even make it to one cycle of the program. Google Stadia? Any of their messaging services?

And again, as other’s have mentioned, 7 years is likely overkill for the overwelming majority of people but if it actually holds true, certainly doesn’t hurt.

Would I like to see Apple offer 7 years of major OS support? Sure but only if it’s meaningful. Promising updates to a device that can’t reasonably take advantage of new features is next to useless. As long as they offer ongoing security support, I’m happy.
Exactly. Groundbreaking new features like limiting charge to 80% and showing the cycle count of the battery requires tube latest A17 Pro processor and 8GB of RAM BECAUSE it is so demanding. No way an older device could be realistically expected to do that.

Reactions: Digitalguy

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
That is actually probably why they do not mind putting up an offer like that! Unfortunate, but with Google diving head first into AI capabilities for most of the new features and unfortunately that requires computing power. I am sure somewhere in their official statement for the 7 years of updates is a disclaimer of having compatible hardware *somewhat. One of the "features" is a weird one and if I remember correctly it was something along the lines of having to upload photos to the cloud to be edited more in-depth (basically better) then you phone downloads them back, but for some reason this requires the pro version.
Google does most stuff in the cloud anyway.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I doubt many folks will hang on to a device for more than ~ 4-5 years, if that.
Part of Android's problem (as an OS) is fragmentation. It's not like iOS where most everyone is on the latest version and few are on previous versions. Lots of device users running old versions of Android.

And that is primarily because, unlike a lot of Apple users and us enthusiasts here on MacRumors (and other places), a lot of Android users don't upgrade their phones very much. And they don't upgrade Android itself very much. Either because they bought the device dirt cheap just to have a phone and don't understand it or just don't care about tech. They can make a phone call or send a text - the device is working for them.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Been an iPhone user since the 2G (just gave up the AT&T unlimited data plan that came with it earlier this year when I switched to t-mobile) and I think I will give the Pixels a hard look on my next upgrade cycle. 7 years commitment to security updates is huge I think, especially for non-enthusiasts who don't do hardware upgrade every year/other year.
I went with a Google Pixel 3a XL for nine months (May 2020 to February 2021). I think you're smart to think about the Pixel. That straight Android, no BS and no alterations. My time was a good experience, but ultimately I came back to IOS.

My biggest complaint with Android is with the interface. Android always strikes me as an OS an engineer would create, rather than an artist. Standardization of icons is lacking, although it's gotten better. But there are a lot of older Android apps in the Play Store that don't adhere. Your homescreen(s) can look like a weird mess sometimes.

I might give Samsung a try at some point, but IDK.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
I have a 2014 Dell PC purchased in early 2015.
Upgraded to Windows 10 and that's all there is.
I have 2 more years of security updates from Microsoft and will use the machine as long as I feel comfortable with it. Can't get Windows 11.
People get new phones because the cellular companies tease them to do so.
"Get the iPhone 15 on us!" Duh! That makes sense to many consumers?
Granted, other products are not handled that way.
I don't like the idea of something fully outdated, but that's me.

N0ughtsAndCr0sses

macrumors regular
May 30, 2017
UK
Google is now giving OS updates for 7 years with its Pixel according media. Will Apple follow? The X only got 5 major updates.

Yeah, now Apple hast lost all its leverage 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: mectojic

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
This is a good step from Google, but it is completely meaningless until we've seen them actually do it in 7 years, and establish a track record. Until then it's just marketing.

Reactions: tbayrgs

LouisPiper

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2021
That's fine if you want to hold on to old phones.

People collect vintage stuff and even hold them as collectibles until they die.

But don't expect them to run well and then post silly stuff online such as 'please support my product with many years of updates that eventually my device is too slow to run'.

We don't expect modern desktop apps to run well on a 7 year old computer and likewise nobody should expect the same from a smartphone.

These discussions aren't new.

I remember when PowerPC G3 owners wanted OS X support for longer.

But it was a silly request because the G3 wasn't even good enough to run the first two versions of OS X very well.
Aren’t you the lad in another thread who was telling people not to update to the latest versions of iOS because of bugs and battery life?

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Well, to be clear, this is more a you and your employer issue than it is Apple’s. That iPhone 8 Plus will still keep working on iOS 16. Your employer requiring the latest version of the OS is the issue.

The employer is perfectly justified to assume that when an Apple device isn't running the latest OS version, it is not actually properly supported and could be missing fixes for some known vulnerabilities. This is stated by Apple themselves at https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/deployment/depc4c80847a/web:

Note: Because of dependency on architecture and system changes to any current version of Apple operating systems (for example, macOS 13, iOS 16 and so on), not all known security issues are addressed in previous versions (for example, macOS 12, iOS 15 and so on).

We saw this in action back in 2015 when the Rootpipe vulnerability was fixed only in the latest OS X version at the time. So while Apple does provide fixes for some vulnerabilities typically in the two OS versions prior to the latest, they are stating that all vulnerabilities might not get fixed if it turns out to be too difficult to backport a fix and they've also demonstrated this in action. As a result, we can deduce that the only fully supported Apple OS releases are the latest ones. Once your device can't get them, it's not properly supported as Apple's not guaranteeing a fix for known vulnerabilities.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
So says the pro Apple person. Look they would be in serious trouble with all kinds of class action lawsuits after promising they would provide X number of years and then reneging on that promise.

And maybe by the time that happens, there will be so few people left using the pixel 8 that it would be cheaper to just settle with this small group of users than to continue maintaining the OS.

Everything is a calculated business decision, including whether to renege on a deal or not.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
And maybe by the time that happens, there will be so few people left using the pixel 8 that it would be cheaper to just settle with this small group of users than to continue maintaining the OS.

Everything is a calculated business decision, including whether to renege on a deal or not.
Okay coming from the diehard Apple fan club your comment is no surprise. The fact of the matter is Google is now backing their phones with 7 years of OS upgrades along with 7 years of hardware support. Lets give credit where credit is due, instead of throwing Apple shade on Google. They did right by their customers.

With the way the global economy is going, people may hold onto their devices longer than you think, especially with consumer prices climbing ever higher. I was just greeted with a 55% car insurance premium hike. I was told, price adjusted for inflation. I suspect people will be cutting back on many purchases if this continues.

Reactions: Hrududu

xDeadTechx

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2020

With Google and software update/support, the common phrase should be " I'll believe it when I see it "

If the Pixel 8/Pro get's Android 16/17 then that's fantastic but as someone already has mentioned the Killed by Google website they have tried so many things and killed it off, hopefully this promise won't be one of them.

Reactions: kc9hzn

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Seven years of OS support doesn’t hurt, but I don't see this being a game changer for a large number of people. It doesn't suddenly make the Pixel any more attractive to me and I'm an Android user.

I prefer Android over iOS, but it doesn't mean I want a Pixel or other phone by Google. Cameras are good but the rest of the Pixel isn't enough to sway me. It didn't sway me when Pixels were cheap, and it certainly doesn't sway me now that they command flagship prices.

Longer OS support is a non-news yawn for me, similar to when Apple highlights new emojis as a feature. Google doesn't have to put in any immediate effort to market 7 years of OS support. They don't have to follow-through on that for a long while. It's easy lip service today for marketing purposes.

Last edited:
Reactions: kc9hzn

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The employer is perfectly justified to assume that when an Apple device isn't running the latest OS version, it is not actually properly supported and could be missing fixes for some known vulnerabilities. This is stated by Apple themselves at https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/deployment/depc4c80847a/web:

We saw this in action back in 2015 when the Rootpipe vulnerability was fixed only in the latest OS X version at the time. So while Apple does provide fixes for some vulnerabilities typically in the two OS versions prior to the latest, they are stating that all vulnerabilities might not get fixed if it turns out to be too difficult to backport a fix and they've also demonstrated this in action. As a result, we can deduce that the only fully supported Apple OS releases are the latest ones. Once your device can't get them, it's not properly supported as Apple's not guaranteeing a fix for known vulnerabilities.
Fine but it still doesn’t change the fact that her issue is with her employer’s phone requirement. If she’s not happy about it, she needs to take out up with them.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Okay coming from the diehard Apple fan club your comment is no surprise. The fact of the matter is Google is now backing their phones with 7 years of OS upgrades along with 7 years of hardware support. Lets give credit where credit is due, instead of throwing Apple shade on Google. They did right by their customers.

With the way the global economy is going, people may hold onto their devices longer than you think, especially with consumer prices climbing ever higher. I was just greeted with a 55% car insurance premium hike. I was told, price adjusted for inflation. I suspect people will be cutting back on many purchases if this continues.
As others have stated, at this point it’s just a promise and considering their track record, deserves to be taken with a heaping helping of salt. Google has made so many unfulfilled promises in the past, they’ll deserve praise when the Pixel 8 receives Android 21 and not a second before that.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Google has done nothing of the sort. At best, they have announced that they intend to support their latest handsets for that period of time. For all we know, they could just as easily decide to drop support 3 years from today and by then, none of us will probably remember that we ever had this conversation.

Apple at least has had the track record of their devices receiving at least 5 years of software updates since the 4s. Maybe that’s less than the 7 years promised by Google, but that’s 5-6 years of software updates I know I am almost assuredly getting.

That’s the difference between Apple and Google. Apple customers buy trust, not specs.

Maybe Google will live up to their end of the bargain, but I don’t even dare allow myself the slightest bitter taste of that terrible illusion - hope.

Reactions: tbayrgs

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Added the link.
Thank you for that.

I have mixed feelings. Yes, I think it’s a shot across Apple’s bow… but they're also re-defining “support.” Saying they’ll support a new phone for 7 years, isn’t all that different from Apple’s VIN policy of 5 years after discontinuation of a model. iPhone 13s are still sold for another year, which means they’ll be “current” for EIGHT years.

Google is committing to “Android software releases,” while Apple doesn’t commit to that. But, they (tend) not to push updates onto a platform not suited for it. The winner there is… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.