Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
There are lots of people running around with 5-7 year old phones. Longer software support will bump up resale values of the phone when they are 2-3 years old compared with most Android models.

The younger sibling demographic will benefit from the parent-older sibling-younger sibling hand-me-down chain.

My old Samsung Note 10 Plus only had two years of OS support, which was absurd given that less powerful lower-end Android phones released 3 years later had access to newer versions of Android.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
7 years is cool but. ....who keeps their phone that long? My Wife kept hers 5 til I ordered a new one today lol

My wife used kept her iPhone 8 Plus until 2 months ago and switched to Pixel 7a.

My mom and dad still using iPhone X while my parent in law still using iPhone 7 Plus (with third battery replacement).

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
There are lots of people running around with 5-7 year old phones. Longer software support will bump up resale values of the phone when they are 2-3 years old compared with most Android models.

The younger sibling demographic will benefit from the parent-older sibling-younger sibling hand-me-down chain.

My old Samsung Note 10 Plus only had two years of OS support, which was absurd given that less powerful lower-end Android phones released 3 years later had access to newer versions of Android.

Most Android phone uses Qualcomm chip, that includes Google’s pixel line until Pixel 5a. It is Qualcomm that does not support their own chips for more than 3 years.

Apple and Google now has its own chips and they have more control now, hence longer software support

Reactions: jamezr

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
Most Android phone uses Qualcomm chip, that includes Google’s pixel line until Pixel 5a. It is Qualcomm that does not support their own chips for more than 3 years.

Apple and Google now has its own chips and they have more control now, hence longer software support
My Samsung phone had a Samsung custom Exynos chip.

Reactions: AlixSPQR

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
This will be great for reading my favorite sites in Reader, listening in on the Google Podcasts app and streaming my gaming library on Stadia. 7 years gives me a lot of confidence I'll be able to keep using my fave Google services and apps for a long time. Reminds me, I've got a few Google Domains to renew and I need to upgrade my Pixel 6 Pro to the 8 Pro using my Pixel Pass subscription entitlement.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Great move by Google, but lets point out the obvious here...the tensor is a bit underpowered as is, but its still plenty good for everyday tasks. But fast forward 5 years from now with Android evolving and apps getting bigger and more resource hungry. No shot the Pixel 7 will run well 5 years from now. So this is great news on the surface, but in reality at 7 years any phone is going to run like crap.

Reactions: Sensamic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.