Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
it seems odd to why Google offering 7 years of software support offends so many Apple fans.....
No, it’s more like “once bitten, twice shy” when it comes to Google and any form of long term support. Likewise, I really doubt they’ll actually support Chromebooks with OS updates for 10 years, even though the effort of maintaining ChromeOS is probably negligible. Sure, the Pixel phones are more strategic for Google than most projects, but even that’s no guarantee. (See, the mess Google made [and continues to make] of Android messaging and how it tries to push a new messaging “solution” every 18 to 36 months. Speaking of which, we’re probably about due for the next one.)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
No, it’s more like “once bitten, twice shy” when it comes to Google and any form of long term support. Likewise, I really doubt they’ll actually support Chromebooks with OS updates for 10 years, even though the effort of maintaining ChromeOS is probably negligible. Sure, the Pixel phones are more strategic for Google than most projects, but even that’s no guarantee. (See, the mess Google made [and continues to make] of Android messaging and how it tries to push a new messaging “solution” every 18 to 36 months. Speaking of which, we’re probably about due for the next one.)
so what does that have to do with Pixel software updates exactly? In my experience Google has been rather stellar on software updates for years. I get your point about them making not so perfect choices in some products. But again those were products. Not software updates. I can see some pointing out how Google have stopped products lines seemingly overnight for no reason. But then again.....that is not software updates. Google has been pretty near perfect with releasing timely software updates for the Pixel line.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Google is now giving OS updates for 7 years with its Pixel according media. Will Apple follow? The X only got 5 major updates.

No, Google is promising that, and Google kills off a lot, all the time, they are notorious for doing so, so I wouldn't trust them. But, it's great if this happens.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
No, Google is promising that, and Google kills off a lot, all the time, they are notorious for doing so, so I wouldn't trust them. But, it's great if this happens.
you do realize this is about the Pixel 8? Not some other product line. They are not going to kill off the Pixel line.

Reactions: 840quadra

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
you do realize this is about the Pixel 8? Not some other product line. They are not going to kill off the Pixel line.
Even if they did kill the line, it is doubtful the software support for Android, or Android is going away anytime soon.

Anything could change but I am doubting the either the line or the software is going away anytime soon.

Reactions: jamezr

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Seems like Google hit a nerve..

All the Apple users on here saying they don't trust Google, blah, blah, blah.

Well now that Google has taken the long term support argument away it leaves less for Apple fanatics to argue the superiority of their devices.

Face it, it is a smart move by Google and if they stick to it, will pay dividends for years to come for Google and end users.

Literally the only bad thing about this is that now Apple doesn't offer longer OS support.

The morons arguing that the Tensor G3 won't be serviceable in 7 years is laughable. The point of the service window is not a guarantee of usability or fitness for any particular purpose. The point is that the hardware is supported as long as it should still be useful. Whether or not you have lag/slowdowns is another story. It will still work as a phone and be secure for it's entire useful life.

Now we have a situation where some companies support a device for a year or two at most which means that the device is perfectly capable and usable when it is no longer supported by updates which puts the user in a dangerous situation. Use an insecure device that works perfectly well or get rid of it for a new one. Most people will use an insecure device until the experience is bad enough to get them to move on. Google is now setting a standard that should help turn this situation around as this will force more OEM'S to lengthen their support window.

Reactions: teohyc and jamezr

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
it seems odd to why Google offering 7 years of software support offends so many Apple fans.....

I just have one final question for everyone here before I hold my peace.

So you are telling me that you all here have absolute faith in Google’s promises and are 100% confident that they will come through on their promise to support their pixel phone for the next 7 years to come?

If so, I have nothing more to say, and sincerely wish you all the best.

Reactions: kc9hzn and tbayrgs

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021

So you are telling me that you all here have absolute faith in Google’s promises and are 100% confident that they will come through on their promise to support their pixel phone for the next 7 years to come?

I guess I would just flip your question around and ask why they wouldn't?

Google has done a lot of stupid stuff but even the slate you mentioned before they didn't just drop support for the device. They just stopped making more and cancelled the product line but the Chromebook tablet was updated just like any other Chromebook.

So let's just say Google decides to cancel the Pixel line of phones in 5 years. It doesn't mean that they would stop updates to those devices?

What good reason would Google have to suddenly change course? Too costly to maintain updates? It is only a few devices and they literally write the code for Android. Cost to maintain updates for Pixel devices is probably not much. There literally isn't another compelling reason for Google since they are raising prices and going more and more into the higher end space where there is more profit margin.

There are a lot of reasons for Google to keep the policy in place. It will boost the resale value and will eventually make trade ins a better proposal which should boost sales, it directly competes with Apple support which should boost sales, canceling the policy too soon would cause user upset, decline in sales, hurt brand reputation.

Since Google is concerned with making a profit on it's hardware which tact would you take?

Reactions: Abazigal

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Not offended at all, just super highly skeptical. I genuinely hope it’s true as it’ll force other phone OEMs to follow suit but, Google’s track record speaks for itself. Why are Google fans so quick to forget all of their past transgressions? There isn’t a company that comes to mind that has abandoned more of their products and services than Google on what appears to be nothing more than a whim. Just this past month alone they killed Pixel Pass and Google Podcasts. And I use a ton of Google products and services, have for a real long time.

so what does that have to do with Pixel software updates exactly? In my experience Google has been rather stellar on software updates for years. I get your point about them making not so perfect choices in some products. But again those were products. Not software updates. I can see some pointing out how Google have stopped products lines seemingly overnight for no reason. But then again.....that is not software updates. Google has been pretty near perfect with releasing timely software updates for the Pixel line.

Big difference between 3 years of promised updates and 7 years. And most of the things they’ve killed aren’t products but rather software and services.

I’m sorry but everyone is singing their praises for what right now are just words. They need to back up these words with actions and it’s going to take a long time for them to do that. I sincerely hope they keep their promise but I’ll believe it when I see it…in 7 years.

Reactions: kc9hzn

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Seems MKBHD has some questions about Google’s promises as well. Like myself and others, he agrees that the premise is great but he’s highly skeptical as well.

Reactions: Pandyone

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Not offended at all, just super highly skeptical. I genuinely hope it’s true as it’ll force other phone OEMs to follow suit but, Google’s track record speaks for itself. Why are Google fans so quick to forget all of their past transgressions? There isn’t a company that comes to mind that has abandoned more of their products and services than Google on what appears to be nothing more than a whim. Just this past month alone they killed Pixel Pass and Google Podcasts. And I use a ton of Google products and services, have for a real long time.

Big difference between 3 years of promised updates and 7 years. And most of the things they’ve killed aren’t products but rather software and services.

I’m sorry but everyone is singing their praises for what right now are just words. They need to back up these words with actions and it’s going to take a long time for them to do that. I sincerely hope they keep their promise but I’ll believe it when I see it…in 7 years.
Funny how I didn't mention any names...so I am glad you are no offended.

I just don't understand all the shade being thrown at Google for extending security updates. I mean now that they are doing most of their own silicon they can make software updates more seamless.

It is just funny to watch how defensive and offended some are.

I mean yes.... 7 years is longer than 3 years....... :)

Then people keep bringing up products that have been killed off of discontinued. That has NOTHING to do with 7 years of software/security updates starting with the Pixel 8. If anything they should be commended for this type of action.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

No...I don't have 100% faith in ANY company. I mean I bought the iPhone 4 with antenna design failures to be told by SJ...I was holding it wrong and they issued out free bumpers to compensate for design failure.

Do you have 100% confidence and faith that Apple didn't know about that issue before hand?
What about issues with the 15 and over heating? How can that not have turned up in normal testing?
Are you 100% sure Apple didn't see the issues but shipped the phones anyway?

I am luck with my 15PM and have not had any issues what so ever.

Right back at you....

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I just don't understand all the shade being thrown at Google for extending security updates. I mean now that they are doing most of their own silicon they can make software updates more seamless.

It is just funny to watch how defensive and offended some are.

I mean yes.... 7 years is longer than 3 years....... :)

Then people keep bringing up products that have been killed off of discontinued. That has NOTHING to do with 7 years of software/security updates starting with the Pixel 8. If anything they should be commended for this type of action.
I don’t think the shade is at the promise, which is objectively great, but rather at the precedent. And I have to disagree about making the comparison between all of the cancelled products and services. It shows failure of commitment by Google. Promising to provide 7 years of software support requires a commitment on Google’s part, something that they have all too often shown a lack of in so many other products and services. Doesn’t matter if this commitment is software…they’ve bailed on tons of other software and services (Wave, Reader, Inbox, Hangouts, Google+, Allo, Stadia, Podcasts, Spaces, Domains, just to name a few). Two years ago they literally promised customers a program to provide discounted services with a hardware upgrade for a new Pixel after two years (the aforementioned Pixel Pass), and proceeded to cancel it a month before any of those customers were going to be able to use that upgrade. No customer was ever able to fulfill that promise…not a single one.

Again, I genuinely hope they keep this promise. I’m just not going to overly praise them for saying some words. As the cliché saying goes, ‘Actions speak louder than…’

Last edited:
Reactions: kc9hzn

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Yes, I realise that, since it was stated in the OP, which I quoted. I don't know about the Pixel's long time future as a brand, but even if it continues, there's no guarantee that they will be updated for seven years. Google kills too much to be trusted.

BadBuoy

Suspended
Oct 3, 2023
This is all fine and dandy except that Android gets notoriously slow after several years of updates. If they can keep the phones as snappy as iPhones are after 5-6 years then this would indeed be a game changer for Android phones.

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
Literally the only bad thing about this is that now Apple doesn't offer longer OS support.

Apple actually released security updates to 10 year old devices in January on devices running iOS 12. The iPhone 5s..
A lot of other iPhones get updates up to 6-7 years too.

This might give Apple opportunities to extend their support even longer. And maybe promote them as a feature in the next event ;)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don’t think the shade is at the promise, which is objectively great, but rather at the precedent. And I have to disagree about making the comparison between all of the cancelled products and services. It shows failure of commitment by Google. Promising to provide 7 years of software support requires a commitment on Google’s part, something that they have all too often shown a lack of in so many other products and services. Doesn’t matter if this commitment is software…they’ve bailed on tons of other software and services (Wave, Reader, Inbox, Hangouts, Google+, Allo, Stadia, Podcasts, Spaces, Domains, just to name a few). Two years ago they literally promised customers a program to provide discounted services with a hardware upgrade for a new Pixel after two years (the aforementioned Pixel Pass), and proceeded to cancel it a month before any of those customers were going to be able to use that upgrade. No customer was ever able to fulfill that promise…not a single one.

Again, I genuinely hope they keep this promise. I’m just not going to overly praise them for saying some words. As the cliché saying goes, ‘Actions speak louder than…’
Like i said it it funny how many Apple fans/apologist are throwing shade at Google for committing to 7 years of software updates for the Pixel. The Pixel/Nexus line is not going anywhere. It will not be discontinued. It could be rebranded or renamed but it is here to stay.
Are insinuating that Google will discontinue the Pixel line? Maybe stop making phones?

Google bought Android in 2005 and has been making phones since 2016. I don't see them discontinuing either of those things.

It just seems like one pointing to the splinter in someone else eye while ignoring the plank in their own eye.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yes, I realise that, since it was stated in the OP, which I quoted. I don't know about the Pixel's long time future as a brand, but even if it continues, there's no guarantee that they will be updated for seven years. Google kills too much to be trusted.
I think you said it...you don't know? The Pixel line is not going anywhere. They are getting into designing and producing their own chips. Along with that the ability to control and process more timely software updates. Committing to 7 years of software updates for a premier product line like the Pixel is not surprising at all.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
I think you said it...you don't know? The Pixel line is not going anywhere. They are getting into designing and producing their own chips. Along with that the ability to control and process more timely software updates. Committing to 7 years of software updates for a premier product line like the Pixel is not surprising at all.
You seem very, very sure. Good luck to you!

Pixel Pass was meant to give the subscriber a new Pixel every 24 month. It was killed after 22 months. That's just one example.

I don't trust Google's promises. That's where I'm at.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
You seem very, very sure. Good luck to you!

Pixel Pass was meant to give the subscriber a new Pixel every 24 month. It was killed after 22 months. That's just one example.

I don't trust Google's promises. That's where I'm at.
Yeah I can see that position. its like Apple killing off the iPhone 13 mini despite calls for them to keep it going.
I don't put blind brand trust in any company. But for this one I believe Google has every intention of producing 7 years of software updates for the Pixel 8.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Like i said it it funny how many Apple fans/apologist are throwing shade at Google for committing to 7 years of software updates for the Pixel. The Pixel/Nexus line is not going anywhere. It will not be discontinued. It could be rebranded or renamed but it is here to stay.
Are insinuating that Google will discontinue the Pixel line? Maybe stop making phones?

Google bought Android in 2005 and has been making phones since 2016. I don't see them discontinuing either of those things.

It just seems like one pointing to the splinter in someone else eye while ignoring the plank in their own eye.
I don’t think they’re going to stop making Pixels any time soon. But continuing to sell Pixels doesn’t mean they won’t change their mind about offering software support for that long.

We’re just going to have to put a pin in this one and check back in 7 years. I’ll gladly offer my praise if they follow all the way through, without reservation.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don’t think they’re going to stop making Pixels any time soon. But continuing to sell Pixels doesn’t mean they won’t change their mind about offering software support for that long.

We’re just going to have to put a pin in this one and check back in 7 years. I’ll gladly offer my praise if they follow all the way through, without reservation.
Let set a calendar reminder to circle back on this one :)

• Love
Reactions: tbayrgs

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Let set a calendar reminder to circle back on this one :)
I will get a piece of the action.

I am 100% confident Google will continue to offer 7 year update support for the Pixel phones that Google says they will support for 7 years.

If was anything else I would have a lot less confidence.

Let's be clear. The biggest reason Google didn't offer long term support for Android had to do with Qualcomm and their support window not because they didn't want to.

Now, in the third chip revision they have done away with the previous limitations in support.

People endlessly complain about Tensor but making your own silicon is more than just a fast processor. This additional support is only possible because Google is designing their own custom chip and can put any limits or not that they want.

In a few generations Tensor will be more refined and mature and the AI and other features will start to outperform other competitors instead of playing catch up.

Google is playing the long game with Pixel and I doubt they would shoot themselves in the foot by cutting short promised support for their main product line besides the search engine. With AI beginning to replace search engines like Google search, Google needs to have a diversified product line if the revenue from the search business declines. This is why they have been so serious about the Pixel line lately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.