Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I'll agree with you, and the majority of Android phones that I've purchased have been 'Google' models. Nearly every single Nexus either suffered from some performance compromises or chronic quality issues. You got what you paid for.

Sadly the same for me... Most of mine has been radio related issues

Galaxy nexus on Verizon radio no matter what I did
Nexus 4 crippled lte (was mostly hspa 3g) barely used
Nexus 5 probably one of the better of the nexii I used but flimsy and I broke 2 of them. 3rd retired in a drawer some place.
Nexus 7 first gen I can't remember
Second gen Nexus 7 lte major battery issues like probably a short someplace would not hold a charge
Nexus 6 actually going strong but never really used it

6p screen issues where the bottom of the screen started false touching and wigging out. Also radio issues on Sprint where I could not even send a text. Other major issues where I could not boot out of recovery mode. It's retired. Probably one of the worst nexii I've used...

Pixel XL 2 a went back to Google due to burn in and extra long battery charging wherin it was on fast charge mode but had an estimate of 4 hours in some cases

Pixel XL 2 b I'm using now but also show signs of wifi and signal issues on fi

Why do I keep buying these devices? Oh because I want a clean experience and non redundant apps like samsung uses... Oh wait... There are 3 ways to use Google assistant on the pixel XL 2...

Not to mention it sometimes seems as if Google is spamming with some of the services and notifications.

And the primary reason I was opting for this line of devices is for ad blocking but even that is getting difficult seeing how these devices are nothing more then mobile ad pushing and tracking platforms we all wilfully spend hard earned cash on...

:confused:

Reactions: tbayrgs

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Sadly the same for me... Most of mine has been radio related issues

Galaxy nexus on Verizon radio no matter what I did
Nexus 4 crippled lte (was mostly hspa 3g) barely used
Nexus 5 probably one of the better of the nexii I used but flimsy and I broke 2 of them. 3rd retired in a drawer some place.
Nexus 7 first gen I can't remember
Second gen Nexus 7 lte major battery issues like probably a short someplace would not hold a charge
Nexus 6 actually going strong but never really used it

6p screen issues where the bottom of the screen started false touching and wigging out. Also radio issues on Sprint where I could not even send a text. Other major issues where I could not boot out of recovery mode. It's retired. Probably one of the worst nexii I've used...

Pixel XL 2 a went back to Google due to burn in and extra long battery charging wherin it was on fast charge mode but had an estimate of 4 hours in some cases

Pixel XL 2 b I'm using now but also show signs of wifi and signal issues on fi

Why do I keep buying these devices? Oh because I want a clean experience and non redundant apps like samsung uses... Oh wait... There are 3 ways to use Google assistant on the pixel XL 2...

Not to mention it sometimes seems as if Google is spamming with some of the services and notifications.

And the primary reason I was opting for this line of devices is for ad blocking but even that is getting difficult seeing how these devices are nothing more then mobile ad pushing and tracking platforms we all wilfully spend hard earned cash on...

:confused:

FWIW, as much as I’ve professed my preference for the stock “Google” Android experience (mainly for stripped down Android and timely updates), the Android phone that I’ve enjoyed the most out of the smaller stable of handsets that I’ve owned (compared to most here ;)) is the HTC One M7. I loved the design, feel in hand, dual speakers, Blinkfeed (yup, I was one of those few :p) and while the camera wasn’t great, appreciated HTC’s attempt to get better low light performance and innovation with Zoes (motion photos). And IIRC, next to Google, HTC was quickest to update the M7 with KitKat when it was released end of October 2013–believe I had KK on my M7 before the end of the year.

Sorry for the tangent...was just feeling a little nostaglic. :D

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
They were but don’t let the purists hear me say that.

That’s not good. Like I’ve been ranting about, I had to send out the warranty replacement and the original in the same day because of QA issues. I can only imagine they must have literally caught fire.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Trusted face is confusing to me. It doesn't always seem available when I unlock my phone. What gives?

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Google CS is a joke. Still waiting to be refunded on my 2nd defective Pixel 2 XL that I sent back. I could've just returned it but instead requested another replacement, then canceled the replacement. All was done well within the return period. Google says I was only eligible for replacement, which isn't true. I should've called Google to cancel the replacement and request a refund rather than just cancel the replacement online and hope that a refund would get processed.

So Google has $800 of mine for absolutely no reason at all. I would've filed a dispute long ago with my credit card, but can't afford to get my Google account banned (have heard horror stories) because I have a business and it could get messy re: that. Ridiculous.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Trusted face is confusing to me. It doesn't always seem available when I unlock my phone. What gives?

This is a repeated problem I've found with some Google features. Smart lock, in example, works intermittently and I need to regularly re-register the areas I'm using (this has been true across a spectrum of Android devices). "Hey Google" with the screen off works initially but then....just nuttin.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Plugged the ol XL 2 into the wall charger and a few minutes later I get the "charging rapidly" then 7 hours (HOURS! Seven!) Until full.

Not this game again. I put it on at about 25% to top things up a bit before heading out the door for a while.

I swear putting this thing on to charge at times does nothing more then drain the battery. Using my power bank charger and different cable to see if that does any good. It's not looking like it...

The disappointment is setting back in.

Edit:

The portable power bank charger seems to be doing a bit better job of charging. About 40ish minutes till fully charged and not the 7 hours.

After recent updates and how this problem was out of the box I want to think it's hardware?

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Oh hey, YouTube on Android still doesn't have Dark Mode. Shocker. Just like the YTM doesn't have audio quality yet. iOS versions of these apps have those things.

I also clearly shocked and totally not sarcastic.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
The google max is now available in the uk.

Held off from any smart speakers as I think one with a screen will be more useful to me.

Reckon Google may put out a Home with a screen next month, that will be quite interesting. The Lenovo one is getting really good reviews.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Held off from any smart speakers as I think one with a screen will be more useful to me.

Reckon Google may put out a Home with a screen next month, that will be quite interesting. The Lenovo one is getting really good reviews.
I have 2 HomePods, 2 echos and a google home mini :) but I’ll definitely get one of the screens when they come out over here. The echo show seems quite limited compared to the Lenovo one.

Reactions: JaySoul

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I have 2 HomePods, 2 echos and a google home mini :) but I’ll definitely get one of the screens when they come out over here. The echo show seems quite limited compared to the Lenovo one.

I'm fine with my old hifi being connected to Chromecast Audio. Also as a personal thing, not sure how I feel about this smart speaker category with my young children - I'm very anti-screen time/Google at their age. Not judging others, it's my personal preference.

But the Lenovo one looks great as a kitchen device, reckon my family would actually use it properly for recipes, music, Duo...

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I'm fine with my old hifi being connected to Chromecast Audio. Also as a personal thing, not sure how I feel about this smart speaker category with my young children - I'm very anti-screen time/Google at their age. Not judging others, it's my personal preference.

But the Lenovo one looks great as a kitchen device, reckon my family would actually use it properly for recipes, music, Duo...
My oldest is only 2 so not old enough to really interact with the speakers yet.

He doesn’t really like watching TV as he’s quite active, always wanting to be doing things so we haven’t had to put s limit on screen time yet.

I had an old hifi system but wasn’t really using it as much so I gave it away to my husband’s cousin.

At the moment I’ve got the HomePods in a stereo pair in the living room along with the google Home. Keep the home mini in there because it can control my chromecast.

I’ve one echo in the dining room and one in the kitchen. I’ve been using the echos for listening to audiobooks because with a 2 year old and 3 month old I don’t really get time to read books anymore.

The Lenovo does look like it would be good in the kitchen.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
My oldest is only 2 so not old enough to really interact with the speakers yet.

He doesn’t really like watching TV as he’s quite active, always wanting to be doing things so we haven’t had to put s limit on screen time yet.

I had an old hifi system but wasn’t really using it as much so I gave it away to my husband’s cousin.

At the moment I’ve got the HomePods in a stereo pair in the living room along with the google Home. Keep the home mini in there because it can control my chromecast.

I’ve one echo in the dining room and one in the kitchen. I’ve been using the echos for listening to audiobooks because with a 2 year old and 3 month old I don’t really get time to read books anymore.

The Lenovo does look like it would be good in the kitchen.

That's great! Unfortunately where we live, I can't really wack up the music very loud at all (frustrating).

My first kid is OK, but the second one is obsessed with gadgets of any description. I'm already dreaming up scenarios for both of them where they invent something that saves the world :D

Audiobooks are the best. I have Airpods and since my kids were born, totally agree, audiobooks make it so much easier. I actually trialled this service called Bookchoice which curates 8 per month for you, plus 8 ebooks. Sounds weird but really useful. Took advantage of a half price offer today, so it's £24 for a whole year! The app is a bit janky but at that price, I'm OK.

This is totally off-topic.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
That's great! Unfortunately where we live, I can't really wack up the music very loud at all (frustrating).

My first kid is OK, but the second one is obsessed with gadgets of any description. I'm already dreaming up scenarios for both of them where they invent something that saves the world :D

Audiobooks are the best. I have Airpods and since my kids were born, totally agree, audiobooks make it so much easier. I actually trialled this service called Bookchoice which curates 8 per month for you, plus 8 ebooks. Sounds weird but really useful. Took advantage of a half price offer today, so it's £24 for a whole year! The app is a bit janky but at that price, I'm OK.

This is totally off-topic.
Thanks I’m gonna have a look at that app it sounds like something I would use.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I love my Pixel 2 but I’m not asking a whole lot out of it because my S9+ became my primary Android device. Looking around at what’s been going on, I think this is going to be a dead end path for me. I’ve got the 2 year warranty so I’m happy about that. I’ll consider myself coming out ahead of the game. I am not putting Pie on Snowball. Oh boy does that sound weird.

Because it is a clean Android experience Snowball works well on WiFi without a sim in it. My iPhones and Samsungs pester me a bit to remind me they’re without a sim. I don’t get as annoyed on a simless Snowball.

I do think I got everything I could have hoped for out of this purchase, but it’s not going to mark the beginning of a new upgrade path for me. I’m just not feeling that confidence with Google yet.

Reactions: jamezr

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Would a 2xl be a decent phone for someone who uses an iPhone primarily? Is the 3xl supposed to be an incremental update or a huge one?

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Would a 2xl be a decent phone for someone who uses an iPhone primarily? Is the 3xl supposed to be an incremental update or a huge one?

The 2 XL is about to drop in price a lot, so maybe it's a safe way to check it out without spending too much.

The 3 XL doesn't look like it's going to be a huge update - still a single camera, but the two chips inside will obviously be updated. The screen should be better and there is now a rather ugly notch.

If you're in no rush, maybe wait and see as we should know on October 9th if it is worth an upgrade. The other problem with the 2 XL (not the smaller one) is it has been a bit of a lottery with quality control, so hopefully Google will have sorted that out for the 3 XL.

In general, Pixel is a great choice and the camera is still, in my books, the best around despite being a year old.

Reactions: tonybarnaby

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

I'd wait to see what the 3XL brings. I'm not talking about in terms of specs. The 2XL has screen issues and other QA problems. I had to get a warranty replacement on the warranty replacement.

Maybe the 3XL won't have thos issues.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Do you use two personal phones or is one for work? If the former, how do you balance use between them?
Two personal, and I actually have four phones I consider on “active duty” meaning I keep them updated and ready to roll with one of my two sims.

I maintain one line for an Android phone and one for an iPhone.

It’s really proven convenient and sometimes even necessary since we disconnected phones from our land line due to what essentially became unbearable harassment from telemarketing calls as well as Verizon’s incompetence in dealing with a technical problem we have had for years.

I’ve at times needed two phones when medical emergencies have arisen. Along with other family members, I am “on call” to take care of my elderly parents and my in-laws. 3 of them are seriously disabled. Just a couple of weeks ago I had family on one phone and emergency services on the other and was communicating simultaneously with them both.

On the more fun side of it, I prefer to read ebooks on my IPhone 8 Plus’s LCD display and my Kindle App. But because Apple charges for in-app purchases it’s impossible to buy my Kindle books on the iOS App. So I buy my books and movies on my Android and can actually view them on either phone.

I play games on either. Some games I prefer on iOS. Others on Android.

I’ve grown an unhealthy dependence on Apple Maps. They’ve done such an excellent job in my area. The vans were out mapping the most god awful backwoods roads that are barely paved. And when I wear my Apple Watch it taps my wrist to let me know with sufficient time that I need to make a lane change. And most of my friends are on iMessage and my family only uses FaceTime for video calling and seem reluctant when asked to consider using non Apple options, so I can’t give up my iPhone.

I love my Samsung S9+ for the excellent camera and the wonderful stereo audio recordings it makes for my family videos. The camera has a very good manual mode that I’m getting very good at using to get the pictures I want. Oh and I love the headphone jack still being there. I use wired headphones and earbuds a lot. I also love how nice Bluetooth audio sounds from either my Pixel 2 or my Samsung.

My Pixel 2 does not have a sim in it but I sometimes carry it around on my property and use it via WiFi because it’s so small compared to my other phones. It has tremendous range in WiFi so I’m still getting texts from school on it via the multi platform app they use. My Apple Watch or Fitbit let me know if my family is calling me.

I like low light photography with my Samsung better than on my Pixel2, but for daylight snapshots it’s hard to beat the Pixel 2. And we have not grown tired of the AR stickers that the Pixel 2 does so well. I do use my iPhone camera because sometimes that is the phone that happens to be with me but I can’t say I think much of it anymore. Apple let themselves get outdone.

I have a Product RED iPhone I alternate with my silver one when I want to change colors. That’s got the 2 year Apple Care on it. Because I had such a hard time with the OLED display on the iPhone X hurting my eyes and didn’t end up liking Face ID much, either, I went and got the two 8 Pluses to keep me in iOS as long as possible.

I have all these phones and yet I know I’m not even scratching the surface of what can be done with them. I still lead a very “manual” life. I still control lights and thermostats by their switches. I use the radio that came with my truck for music. I use conventional buttons for my garage doors. I still survive on Post-It notes. I stick post it notes on the bezels of my IPhone 8 Plus instead of using Notes. I know how to do things on my phones. I just sometimes find it soothes my soul to go old school.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
September security update is out. Not a major one (that is surely to come in 1 or 2 months).

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Two personal, and I actually have four phones I consider on “active duty” meaning I keep them updated and ready to roll with one of my two sims.

I maintain one line for an Android phone and one for an iPhone.

It’s really proven convenient and sometimes even necessary since we disconnected phones from our land line due to what essentially became unbearable harassment from telemarketing calls as well as Verizon’s incompetence in dealing with a technical problem we have had for years.

I’ve at times needed two phones when medical emergencies have arisen. Along with other family members, I am “on call” to take care of my elderly parents and my in-laws. 3 of them are seriously disabled. Just a couple of weeks ago I had family on one phone and emergency services on the other and was communicating simultaneously with them both.

On the more fun side of it, I prefer to read ebooks on my IPhone 8 Plus’s LCD display and my Kindle App. But because Apple charges for in-app purchases it’s impossible to buy my Kindle books on the iOS App. So I buy my books and movies on my Android and can actually view them on either phone.

I play games on either. Some games I prefer on iOS. Others on Android.

I’ve grown an unhealthy dependence on Apple Maps. They’ve done such an excellent job in my area. The vans were out mapping the most god awful backwoods roads that are barely paved. And when I wear my Apple Watch it taps my wrist to let me know with sufficient time that I need to make a lane change. And most of my friends are on iMessage and my family only uses FaceTime for video calling and seem reluctant when asked to consider using non Apple options, so I can’t give up my iPhone.

I love my Samsung S9+ for the excellent camera and the wonderful stereo audio recordings it makes for my family videos. The camera has a very good manual mode that I’m getting very good at using to get the pictures I want. Oh and I love the headphone jack still being there. I use wired headphones and earbuds a lot. I also love how nice Bluetooth audio sounds from either my Pixel 2 or my Samsung.

My Pixel 2 does not have a sim in it but I sometimes carry it around on my property and use it via WiFi because it’s so small compared to my other phones. It has tremendous range in WiFi so I’m still getting texts from school on it via the multi platform app they use. My Apple Watch or Fitbit let me know if my family is calling me.

I like low light photography with my Samsung better than on my Pixel2, but for daylight snapshots it’s hard to beat the Pixel 2. And we have not grown tired of the AR stickers that the Pixel 2 does so well. I do use my iPhone camera because sometimes that is the phone that happens to be with me but I can’t say I think much of it anymore. Apple let themselves get outdone.

I have a Product RED iPhone I alternate with my silver one when I want to change colors. That’s got the 2 year Apple Care on it. Because I had such a hard time with the OLED display on the iPhone X hurting my eyes and didn’t end up liking Face ID much, either, I went and got the two 8 Pluses to keep me in iOS as long as possible.

I have all these phones and yet I know I’m not even scratching the surface of what can be done with them. I still lead a very “manual” life. I still control lights and thermostats by their switches. I use the radio that came with my truck for music. I use conventional buttons for my garage doors. I still survive on Post-It notes. I stick post it notes on the bezels of my IPhone 8 Plus instead of using Notes. I know how to do things on my phones. I just sometimes find it soothes my soul to go old school.

Very insightful. Thanks for the reply. Do you carry all the phones in a pockets when you move in and out of the house?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.