Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom

Flat screen will please many no doubt.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Flat screen will please many no doubt.
I saw that from the renders....but those are just renders. BUT...if true that would truly be amazing!

But then they made it smaller....
"Dimensions of the Pixel 8 Pro measure 162.6×76.5×8.7mm. That’s slightly smaller than the 162.9×76.6×8.9mm of the Pixel 7 Pro. A display size of around 6.52 inches is mentioned."

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Flat displays. Since I’m not upgrading from my iPhone 14 Pro Max I might get on board this time. I’ll have to see what they offer for my Pixel 6 Pro, which probably isn’t anything. I hope I can use the display without getting sick though. Well either way, it’s fun to see the leaks and rumors.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Finally flat displays again, that is really the one big issue I have with Pixel 6 and 7 series. Both in daily usage as well as haptics and aesthetics these Pixels are just bad - in my opinion - I am sure it's a matter of taste and some prefer it. I just like the round edges and flat screen design of the older Pixels.

Now the question is, will we finally get good quality LTPO screens like used on the iPhone 14 Pro? The Pixel 7 Pro still uses a first gen LTPO panel where there are third gen LTPO panel phones already, and the recent S23 Ultra at least uses a 2nd gen panel.

The Pixel 6 Pro has additional hardware issues with the panel where it flickers for no reason (not brightness related), and the non-pro Pixel 6 had a horrible washed-out panel. The 7 had a better one yet still not LTPO.

At this point I refuse to buy any phone without a good quality LTPO panel. It's been a full 2 years since the first LTPO phones came out, withholding that tech in 2023 or using a first gen panel is merely a cost-cutting measure that I can accept on a mid-range Pixel 6a but not at $599 and certainly not at $899.

(The perception of what is mid-range is a bit warped, a 6a is very solid and available for $299, I consider that mid-range, so a Pixel for $599 at literally double the price better have nearly all the features of a Pixel Pro in a smaller form factor. The Pixel 7 and 7 Pro are to me like the iPhone Pro and Pro Max, basically.)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Rumor is pixel 8 and 8 pro is said to get staggered HDR which Would mean a brand new main sensor. Likely the Samsung G2 which would be a 1/1.2 inch sensor.

Reactions: okkibs

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Finally flat displays again, that is really the one big issue I have with Pixel 6 and 7 series. Both in daily usage as well as haptics and aesthetics these Pixels are just bad - in my opinion - I am sure it's a matter of taste and some prefer it. I just like the round edges and flat screen design of the older Pixels.

Now the question is, will we finally get good quality LTPO screens like used on the iPhone 14 Pro? The Pixel 7 Pro still uses a first gen LTPO panel where there are third gen LTPO panel phones already, and the recent S23 Ultra at least uses a 2nd gen panel.

The Pixel 6 Pro has additional hardware issues with the panel where it flickers for no reason (not brightness related), and the non-pro Pixel 6 had a horrible washed-out panel. The 7 had a better one yet still not LTPO.

At this point I refuse to buy any phone without a good quality LTPO panel. It's been a full 2 years since the first LTPO phones came out, withholding that tech in 2023 or using a first gen panel is merely a cost-cutting measure that I can accept on a mid-range Pixel 6a but not at $599 and certainly not at $899.

(The perception of what is mid-range is a bit warped, a 6a is very solid and available for $299, I consider that mid-range, so a Pixel for $599 at literally double the price better have nearly all the features of a Pixel Pro in a smaller form factor. The Pixel 7 and 7 Pro are to me like the iPhone Pro and Pro Max, basically.)

You have Apple and Samsung to thank for the redefining of what a midrange vs flagship phone is.

It is like no one noticed that Apple is basically offering a midrange phone in the iPhone 14 for premium pricing and the Pro's are what the iPhone should be. But Apple wanted to extort more money out of people and trash Job's original vision of iPhone and iPad by introducing Pro models.

It used to be all iPhones had the same te h just a larger version then they figured out they could get more money by splitting the product line up into Pro and non pro.

Samsung did it with the note and now the ultra. At least Samsung gives you the same chip in all s series unlike Apple using a year old chip in their "flagship" devices.

It kind of all makes me vomit a bit in my mouth. If all iPhones had Pro Motion, same screens, and chips, cameras, just different sizes they would be a much better value. Same with Samsung minus the chip.

Like make the SE with budget specs but keep all the flagship on equal footing.

They could do it, it would clean up and simplify the lines but they want to push everyone to get the most expensive model.

At least to me Samsung is a little better as they offer 120hz to all models, offer same build and overall design and materials they just cheap out on the cameras and a quad HD screens now.

Even the a series cost is all over the place for Samsung budget phones.

And these companies have applied this marketing across product lines like MacBooks and Galaxybooks, iPad, etc.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Okay Pixel owner's I need your advice. I have a Pixel 7 Pro and I love it for the most part. The cpu could be a bit faster and battery life better and of course curved screen.

It looks like it is possible Google may fix all of these little things with the Pixel 8 Pro.

So I am wondering what is best. Selling my Pixel 7 Pro a few months before the release of the Pixel 8 Pro on Swappa or should I just keep it and trade it in for the Pixel 8 Pro? In your experience on a pre order from Google will I get a better deal trading and pre ordering or is it best to sell privately?

Need some advice. This is my first time I would potentially have a Pixel to trade in on a new model for pre order.

Reactions: 5105973

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Finally flat displays again, that is really the one big issue I have with Pixel 6 and 7 series. Both in daily usage as well as haptics and aesthetics these Pixels are just bad - in my opinion
Yeah, hard disagree. The haptics are the best on any Android phone I've ever tried. Apples version of keyboard haptics is a disgrace considering people lose their mind over iphone haptics.

Reactions: alphasports

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Awesome news on them becoming slightly smaller and a flat display on the pro! May go with the pro this time, but an even smaller regular 8 looks tempting.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Okay Pixel owner's I need your advice. I have a Pixel 7 Pro and I love it for the most part. The cpu could be a bit faster and battery life better and of course curved screen.

It looks like it is possible Google may fix all of these little things with the Pixel 8 Pro.

So I am wondering what is best. Selling my Pixel 7 Pro a few months before the release of the Pixel 8 Pro on Swappa or should I just keep it and trade it in for the Pixel 8 Pro? In your experience on a pre order from Google will I get a better deal trading and pre ordering or is it best to sell privately?

Need some advice. This is my first time I would potentially have a Pixel to trade in on a new model for pre order.
I don't know the pitfalls of selling on Swappa but in the past the trade in values to Google for an upgrade were slightly raised to what you could get trading elsewhere, but not particularly great which may explain why I still have every Pixel I ever bought! Well I was never going to trade the Pixel 2 because I fell in love with that phone. I don't give a hoot about the Pixel 3XL but as I recall it wasn't worth trading away. My Pixel 6 Pro trade in value plummeted really badly. I look at it and it's still gorgeous and performs well but it's not worth anything to speak of in trade.

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I don't know the pitfalls of selling on Swappa but in the past the trade in values to Google for an upgrade were slightly raised to what you could get trading elsewhere, but not particularly great which may explain why I still have every Pixel I ever bought! Well I was never going to trade the Pixel 2 because I fell in love with that phone. I don't give a hoot about the Pixel 3XL but as I recall it wasn't worth trading away. My Pixel 6 Pro trade in value plummeted really badly. I look at it and it's still gorgeous and performs well but it's not worth anything to speak of in trade.

Swappa is a great way to sell second hand. They verify the IMEI of any phone you sell to make sure it is valid. Like any online marketplace your reputation built by customers who leave reviews is very important. It is linked to PayPal and eBay. So it works well but you have a Swappa listing fee and PayPal fees and you have to ship at your cost. So all of those can add up.

All that being said if you factor all that into your sales price you will almost always get more than a typical trade in value. Obviously Samsung and Google will at times raise trade in values higher than resale. So it is important to check what you can sell the device for and check the trade in value.

For my iPhone Google gave me $825 in trade in value which was much higher than Swappa and alternatively Samsung was going to give me $375 for my s22 plus and Google was only offering $160 while I was able to sell it at Swappa around $625 and after all the fees got about $550.

So it just depends.

If Google sells the Pixel 8 Pro for the same $899 and offers around $650 or so for the Pixel 7 Pro then it will be doable but if they low ball say under $500 then I will sell on Swappa but I just don't know yet. The Pixel 7 Pro is good but the new model with a flat screen and faster processor would be perfect.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Rumor is pixel 8 and 8 pro is said to get staggered HDR which Would mean a brand new main sensor. Likely the Samsung G2 which would be a 1/1.2 inch sensor.
That's a very nice sensor. Not quite on the same level as IMX989, but very close.

It's not 1/1.2", it's bigger, 1/1.12".

GN1 is already quite a big sensor at 1/31". The size difference between GN2 and IMX989 is negligible and should not make much of a difference.

Here's a visual comparison:

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
That's a very nice sensor. Not quite on the same level as IMX989, but very close.

It's not 1/1.2", it's bigger, 1/1.12".

GN1 is already quite a big sensor at 1/31". The size difference between GN2 and IMX989 is negligible and should not make much of a difference.

Here's a visual comparison:

I would say while 989 is better with Google’s image processing it could make it very close. Not sure what other sensor they could use with staggered HDR. Still think these phones with 989 will be superior but for price And availability it makes pixel appealing.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
There’s not much in the way of rumors I could find during my lunch break. But I thought the code names Shiba and Husky were cute. I’m more partial to Shiba Inu myself because I’ve spent years being buddies with the one down the street. Such a quirky breed. I was thinking of getting one myself, but that was before reality about the time and energy I can spare to properly train and care for one set in.

So maybe I’ll get the tech version! The rumors place the Shiba as being smaller than before, possibly as small as 5.8”. I might enjoy having a little Pixel again. “Little” being a relative term in this case. I’m already handling two very maxed out phones. I’d just be doing this to keep Googley flavored a bit.

I’m thinking the code names do refer to sizes because Shiba means small in Japanese and Husky means big in English.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
strange the pixel 8 screen size will go down!? I thought the 6.3 honestly is perfect! Do most thin a May or June release for this?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
strange the pixel 8 screen size will go down!? I thought the 6.3 honestly is perfect! Do most thin a May or June release for this?
I think it is because there is not enough of a difference between the Pixel and Pixel Pro models in terms of screen size?

Also the Pixel 8 pro is supposed to have a slightly smaller screen too. So I think it is just keeping them equally smaller?

Haven't heard too much in terms of leaks yet. The Pixel 7a is supposed to get a 64mp sensor so I wonder what that means for the 8 and 8 Pro? Will they get the same sensor or something even better?

The CPU in the Pixel 8 Pro is what excites me the most. I just hope Google adds some cooling to the design as it is supposed to have an x3 core and all arm v9 cores with a 9 core processor. Should be a pretty significant step up from the Tensor G2.

I love my Pixel 7 Pro but heat management and top level performance are a bit of a let down. Battery life on mine has improved though.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think it is because there is not enough of a difference between the Pixel and Pixel Pro models in terms of screen size?

Also the Pixel 8 pro is supposed to have a slightly smaller screen too. So I think it is just keeping them equally smaller?

Haven't heard too much in terms of leaks yet. The Pixel 7a is supposed to get a 64mp sensor so I wonder what that means for the 8 and 8 Pro? Will they get the same sensor or something even better?

The CPU in the Pixel 8 Pro is what excites me the most. I just hope Google adds some cooling to the design as it is supposed to have an x3 core and all arm v9 cores with a 9 core processor. Should be a pretty significant step up from the Tensor G2.

I love my Pixel 7 Pro but heat management and top level performance are a bit of a let down. Battery life on mine has improved though.
pixel 8 series is said to be getting the GN2 sensor which is 1/1.12 sensor with staggered HDR support. no word on if other lenses will be improved though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.