Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
That would be a cool feature to have. When my kids are sick and I am up constanly getting a temperature reading from their forehead, using my phone to get that info and hopefully being able to store it on my phone will help a great deal.
I can store that info to give to the doctor if it comes to that or just for refference.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Okay Pixel owner's I need your advice. I have a Pixel 7 Pro and I love it for the most part. The cpu could be a bit faster and battery life better and of course curved screen.

It looks like it is possible Google may fix all of these little things with the Pixel 8 Pro.

So I am wondering what is best. Selling my Pixel 7 Pro a few months before the release of the Pixel 8 Pro on Swappa or should I just keep it and trade it in for the Pixel 8 Pro? In your experience on a pre order from Google will I get a better deal trading and pre ordering or is it best to sell privately?

Need some advice. This is my first time I would potentially have a Pixel to trade in on a new model for pre order.
Id trade it in in the Google store for the 8. So much easier that way and i got a great deal on my P7. Hec they will give me $295 now for my P7 (which is more than i paid for it) on a 7a and i can get free Ear Buds with it.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It IS wonderful to be back on a Pixel with a flat display again. I also like the size of the Pixel 7a so if they make the Pixel 8 a similar overall size I will be tempted in October. I won't rule out the 8 Pro either depending on different factors at the time I see them.

I doubt I would trade away the 7a to get one, though. I would look through my other phones first. Or just buy it outright.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021

I am getting pretty excited about the upcoming Pixel 8 Pro. I am hoping Google makes a few tweaks under the hood. I would really like to see a better cooling system like a vapor chamber cooling system. I would really like to see UFS 4.0 storage. It says ddr5 but I am not sure if it is ddr5 or ddr5x. If Google made those changes under the hood I think it would help with the issues that annoy me on the Pixel 7 Pro. If the Tensor G3 is more efficient and faster with the aforementioned under the hood changes it would give the Pixel much, much better performance and thermal profile. Should also improve battery life.

The flat screen is a welcome change. It is one of the aesthetic choices I am really liking as the curved display on my Pixel 7 Pro is a pain.

I am also hoping Google doesn't screw previous Pixel owners with poor trade in values. If Google gives at least half but preferably somewhere near 60% of MSRP I will be very happy. Just a couple months away.....

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
It kind of all makes me vomit a bit in my mouth.

The McDonald brothers original menu focused upon nine items.

Now we have this.

"You can satisfy some of the people all the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot satisfy all of the people all the time." --John Lydgate

I really enjoyed my bog-standard iP5 :)

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
The McDonald brothers original menu focused upon nine items.

Now we have this.

"You can satisfy some of the people all the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot satisfy all of the people all the time." --John Lydgate

I really enjoyed my bog-standard iP5 :)
Why do you think In&Out is so popular? They don't have a bunch of different stuff that all sucks. They focus on core items everyone who wants a burger will like. Fresh meat, fresh fries, tasty shakes. Decent prices and good service and a small menu that you know. Sure it might get boring if you eat there every day but if you like what they offer then you know what you are going to get. I don't a taco from Mc Donalds or a steak. I want a quarter pounder with cheese, some good fries and a decent shake. Maybe I will change it up and have a chicken sandwich or a Mc Rib or shamrock shake every once in a while. But as you said you can't please everyone.

Make what you make great. Don't add endless options. If you stick to a winning recipe and just keep making it better you will be much more successful than trying to cater to every desire and price point. Apple will never be Samsung and they shouldn't try to be. Samsung will never be Apple and shouldn't try to be. Sell what makes you iconic.

Apple has always been expensive and premium. That is what people like about Apple. They should try to make SE versions for kids and people who just want an Apple product but an iPad and iPhone that is not an SE should be a premium or Pro device already. A MacBook air should just be a premium thin and light MacBook. It should have all the bells and whistles of the Macbook Pro in a thin and light package with less power. Why can't a MacBook air have a 120hz Pro Motion display or OLED? Why is that a "Pro" feature? You could still have that with a regular m2 chip. The MacBook Pro is a Pro because of the superior cooling, added ports, and much more powerful CPU and GPU. Why does an iPad air have to have a 60hz screen or only 2 speakers? I don't see why those are Pro features when they add to the experience for content consumption which a non pro device is aimed at.

If the line was cleaned up and maybe cost a bit more but added more value I think Apple would be even more successful than it already is. There is no doubt they are super profitable by doing what they have been doing but for people who have been Apple users for over 20 years the new Apple business model just kind of looks like a PC or Android business model of throwing as many devices as possible and as many price points as possible which just dilutes the entire experience of having an Apple product in the first place.

Reactions: 5105973

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Why do you think In&Out is so popular? They don't have a bunch of different stuff that all sucks. They focus on core items everyone who wants a burger will like. Fresh meat, fresh fries, tasty shakes. Decent prices and good service and a small menu that you know. Sure it might get boring if you eat there every day but if you like what they offer then you know what you are going to get. I don't a taco from Mc Donalds or a steak. I want a quarter pounder with cheese, some good fries and a decent shake. Maybe I will change it up and have a chicken sandwich or a Mc Rib or shamrock shake every once in a while. But as you said you can't please everyone.

Make what you make great. Don't add endless options. If you stick to a winning recipe and just keep making it better you will be much more successful than trying to cater to every desire and price point. Apple will never be Samsung and they shouldn't try to be. Samsung will never be Apple and shouldn't try to be. Sell what makes you iconic.

Apple has always been expensive and premium. That is what people like about Apple. They should try to make SE versions for kids and people who just want an Apple product but an iPad and iPhone that is not an SE should be a premium or Pro device already. A MacBook air should just be a premium thin and light MacBook. It should have all the bells and whistles of the Macbook Pro in a thin and light package with less power. Why can't a MacBook air have a 120hz Pro Motion display or OLED? Why is that a "Pro" feature? You could still have that with a regular m2 chip. The MacBook Pro is a Pro because of the superior cooling, added ports, and much more powerful CPU and GPU. Why does an iPad air have to have a 60hz screen or only 2 speakers? I don't see why those are Pro features when they add to the experience for content consumption which a non pro device is aimed at.

If the line was cleaned up and maybe cost a bit more but added more value I think Apple would be even more successful than it already is. There is no doubt they are super profitable by doing what they have been doing but for people who have been Apple users for over 20 years the new Apple business model just kind of looks like a PC or Android business model of throwing as many devices as possible and as many price points as possible which just dilutes the entire experience of having an Apple product in the first place.
In & Out has the worst fries imo. Fresh but plain and, just not that good. But yes, small ,menu, good burgers. I think The Habit is better than In & Out, but that's me.
I hardly go to McDonalds but if I do it's usually for a McMuffin, not a burger. Now their fries are good. It's the coating they put on them before they bag em up frozen to ship out.

I know I'm totally going off topic lol.

However, I do not like Apples premium prices and lack of customizing allowance and locking down their products to their own devices .....and they cost too much. It ain't THAT premium imo. I haven't had an iPhone for 10 years.
Wouldn't mind having a Mac as I like having desktop PCs but they are just too expensive for what they are.

Last edited:

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
They should try to make SE versions for kids and people who just want an Apple product but an iPad and iPhone that is not an SE should be a premium or Pro device already.

I truly pine for the days when we had more defined choices.

Neither less, nor more.

Just . . . defined ;)

I have flirted with the Pixel, but Goog seems to have been adhering to the Reg/Pro paradigm, and that really diminishes my prospects.

If I wanted a double-quarter-pounder, I would have just ordered two!

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I'm excited, and not excited for the Pixel 8 Pro. As you know I'm a diehard stock Android fan, and like the latest Google phones, but I have to say the upgrades between phones seem so minimal nowadays. When I picked up the 7 Pro after having the 6 Pro, it barely felt like an upgrade, like the smallest upgrade ever, it should be called the Pixel 6.25 Pro, it was almost the same exact phone.

I am looking forward to a FLAT screen on the 8 Pro.
I hear the display brightness will be significantly better on the 8 Pro.

But that's about it.

Tensor 3? It seems Tensor 2 was a very minimal upgrade, and T3 looks like another mediocre upgrade. They should just go back to Snapdragon, which is rocking lately with their latest chipset.

Battery life? The 6 Pro and 7 Pro have average at best battery life, in mind they're rather poor for battery. Sticking with 5,000mAh battery size isn't cutting it, they need to swing for the fences, stuff in a 6,000mAh battery, make the phone a little thicker, that's fine.

Storage speed and internals, they need to do what Samsung does with the latest Galaxy Ultra phones, put in the latest and greatest top end hardware, don't gimp on that, it's important.

Charging speeds need to be way faster.

Screen brightness, yes it's supposed to be improved, but will still be 30% to 40% dimmer than a Galaxy or iPhone.

I just feel Google is still half-assing it with the Pixel line, and that's frustrating.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I'm excited, and not excited for the Pixel 8 Pro. As you know I'm a diehard stock Android fan, and like the latest Google phones, but I have to say the upgrades between phones seem so minimal nowadays. When I picked up the 7 Pro after having the 6 Pro, it barely felt like an upgrade, like the smallest upgrade ever, it should be called the Pixel 6.25 Pro, it was almost the same exact phone.

I am looking forward to a FLAT screen on the 8 Pro.
I hear the display brightness will be significantly better on the 8 Pro.

But that's about it.

Tensor 3? It seems Tensor 2 was a very minimal upgrade, and T3 looks like another mediocre upgrade. They should just go back to Snapdragon, which is rocking lately with their latest chipset.

Battery life? The 6 Pro and 7 Pro have average at best battery life, in mind they're rather poor for battery. Sticking with 5,000mAh battery size isn't cutting it, they need to swing for the fences, stuff in a 6,000mAh battery, make the phone a little thicker, that's fine.

Storage speed and internals, they need to do what Samsung does with the latest Galaxy Ultra phones, put in the latest and greatest top end hardware, don't gimp on that, it's important.

Charging speeds need to be way faster.

Screen brightness, yes it's supposed to be improved, but will still be 30% to 40% dimmer than a Galaxy or iPhone.

I just feel Google is still half-assing it with the Pixel line, and that's frustrating.
I understand your frustrations. It is rumored that Google will completely make their own chip starting with the Pixel 10 in 2025 using TSMC 3nm. Snapdragon is dead on Pixel. Google will be using their own custom silicon as it offers several advantages and cost savings. In terms of raw performance Google has stated from the onset that they were not going to ever compete in terms of raw performance with the likes of Qualcomm and others.

I actually think this is the best strategy moving forward and you can see how well it has worked for Apple. I think for now we don't really need the fastest chip on a Pixel but we do need better battery life and efficiency. Part of the Problem is the Samsung exynos based design which is not thermally or performance efficient as many users of Samsung Exynos chips can attest to over the years.

That all being said I think the upcoming Exynos derived Tensor 3 will be a significant improvement over Tensor 3 as it will be on an advanced 4nm process vs 5nm, it will have arm v9 cores vs older arm v8 cores, it will have 9 cores and one clocked much higher than current Tensor G3. All of these should boost performance and efficiency by at least 20% or more. Samsung newer design and fab process should help a bit. We will see when the phones come out in real world testing.

I have also seen rumors suggesting that Google will use ufs 4.0 because the new chip is compatible while the Tensor 2 was not so this will also likely boost performance and efficiency.

Screen should be improved and for me the biggest improvement I want to see is both higher brightness and less power draw because the current screen uses a lot of power, specially at higher brightness levels.

I don't care how fast the device charges but I am probably one of the few people who think this way. I would rather the device last longer on a full charge than charge super fast and need to be charged more than once a day. I would like maybe a slight boost to charging speeds but I care more about battery longevity than speed. I don't think a larger battery will be needed but it is rumored there will be very slight increases across the line.

I feel like the Pixel 6 series started Google actually taking their phones seriously as a true flagship. I think they are doing as much as they can to make the device premium while at the same time staying competitively priced. They know if they want higher adaption rates they have to continue to undercut both Apple and Samsung for at least the next couple of generations. I actually feel for the cost the Pixel 7 Pro is very premium. The build quality is excellent as are the materials used. The speakers are very good. The screen while not super bright gets bright enough at higher end and looks amazing despite the curved display. The color temperature is the best on any phone I have seen.

I think you brought up all very valid points but there is a cost associated with more premium and the test is are consumers willing to pay more for a device that still doesn't have reputation as a true flagship? I personally like the tact Google is taking and they are slowly evolving the phones to be better each generation without huge changes.

I am still very excited even though there is a lot of room for improvement. My Pixel 7 Pro as it is now is a pleasure to use and competes nicely with my s23 ultra. The ultra is still the overall better phone and I don't see that changing at least for a few generations but the AI features on the Pixel are still miles ahead of everyone else. As long as they can fix the thermal overheating, improve performance at least in line with SD 8 gen 2 and give a significant improvement in battery life while evolving everything else I will be happy. I think if I am right about the Pixel 8 Pro and it is a big if, then it may be a Pixel I keep for more than a year.

I wanted to get an iPhone and maybe the 15 will really impress me but I don't see myself going away from Pixel or Samsung anytime soon. I was able to sell a PC of mine and get a really good deal on a mid range OLED laptop and so far I am questioning the entire Apple experience. I love my M2 MBA but having a Pantone certified 120hz OLED touchscreen with gorilla glass is a game changer for me. No MacBook out right now can match it except for brightness in HDR content which I don't care about anyway as 500 nits is more than enough for me. While I still prefer MacOS, I have used every version of Microsoft Windows and it has despite several mis-steps vastly improved over the years. It still has a lot of problems but in key areas like stability and security it is much better. I also like having a touch option. I don't use it all the time but when I do it is very convenient. MacOS being limited in certain ways is still kind of a bur in my side. I pay more for less functionality but I gain a more polished system with better communication tools.

Reactions: War833 and aggie99

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Having used my Pixel 7a awhile now I do miss faster charging on the higher end Pixel models. Charging on the Pixel 7a is a bit weird and achingly slow so I definitely don't want to forget to charge it overnight. I don't even bother with wireless charging.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
The way I would recommend Google build the Pixel 8 Pro;

- 6.5" screen size
- FLAT display
- Snapdragon 8 Gen 2
- 12GB RAM
- 6,200mAh battery
- Newest fastest storage
- Fast charging
I'm ok with Google not going with a Snapdragon chip if they can invest in their own chip (not some variation of a Samsung exynos chip like the tensor) and have high performance and integration like Apple does with their chip. The tensor lags way behind in performance and efficiency and the exynos modem is trash. If they are truly serious about having their own chip it's time to move away from Samsung and develop their own. Even Samsung has moved away from their own chip in high end devices.

Reactions: jamezr

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
The way I would recommend Google build the Pixel 8 Pro;

- 6.5" screen size
- FLAT display
- Snapdragon 8 Gen 2
- 12GB RAM
- 6,200mAh battery
- Newest fastest storage
- Fast charging
These specs would make me trade-in my S23U for the P8Pro immediately. It would be so easy for Google to make a phone like this...

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
These specs would make me trade-in my S23U for the P8Pro immediately. It would be so easy for Google to make a phone like this...

They did once, not much smaller

It was called the Nexus 6

Big, wide, flat screen. It was a superb phone and then all of a sudden, makers decided that curved screens were needed and it all went to **** IMO

The P7P screen is very good I have to admit; much prefer if over the S23U; but still prefer the 14PM screen overall; wider & flat...

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The Galaxy 23 is $300 more than my P7.
I never buy the Pro/Ultra version of either. I like to keep the screen size down (don't care about the specs and don't want a curved screen) and why I'd really like to get a Motorola RAZR 40 but that phone is over priced at $999.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The Galaxy 23 is $300 more than my P7.
I never buy the Pro/Ultra version of either. I like to keep the screen size down (don't care about the specs and don't want a curved screen) and why I'd really like to get a Motorola RAZR 40 but that phone is over priced at $999.
regular pixel 8 sounds like a good deal this year

120hz is rumoured and will remain same screen size i believe.

i know next year it's rumoured we will get two pro screen sizes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.