Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
The Galaxy 23 is $300 more than my P7.
I never buy the Pro/Ultra version of either. I like to keep the screen size down (don't care about the specs and don't want a curved screen) and why I'd really like to get a Motorola RAZR 40 but that phone is over priced at $999.
I think the Pixel line is very nice at the mid range. The 7 and 7a are very nice phones for the cost and discounts offered. Heck, I saw the 7 Pro for $649! I mean that is a lot of phone for way shy of $1k.

Anyway back to what I was supposed to be talking about. The 7 and 7a offer all the specs needed to have a good experience. 90hz screen is a big deal. OLED screen. Nice size at 6.1" and 6.3". Not too big but not too small either.

Personally I have seen the 7 for $499 and to me that is a really good price. I think the Pixel 7 is slightly nicer in materials than the 7a but the 7a is lighter and has better colors. The magic is what everyone loves to hate and that is the same Tensor G2 in all Pixel phones, same minimum ram of 8gb no matter what phone you choose. This gives the lower mid range an edge because you are not getting an inferior processor and less ram. When the Tensor G3 and G4 it should be the same thing. This is what Apple used to do until they got stingy with the latest chips and reserve those only for Pro models.

I think the Pixel 8 should be a decent upgrade if the new chip doesn't heat up as much and lasts longer on the same battery capacity while at the same time giving us a significant performance boost. Add in slightly better camera sensor, maybe better screen and better battery life and performance and it might be enough or you might wait for the Pixel 10 and should have a TSMC chip by then.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I think I will be selling my S23U to get the P8Pro. I forgot how nice stock Android is. I miss it.

I'm afraid the Pixel 8 Pro will be a Pixel 7.25 sidegrade.

I went from the 6 Pro to the 7 Pro and it was the least noticeable upgrade ever, like I could barely tell any difference whatsoever, seemed almost like the exact same phone, wasn't faster or any smoother, battery life was still mediocre, etc...

And from the early leaks the 8 Pro looks good, but nothing gigantic to make it a lot better than the 7 Pro. The big Pixel upgrade is coming with the Pixel 10 series when Google switches to TSMC and ditches Exynos for the chipset hardware.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I'm afraid the Pixel 8 Pro will be a Pixel 7.25 sidegrade.

I went from the 6 Pro to the 7 Pro and it was the least noticeable upgrade ever, like I could barely tell any difference whatsoever, seemed almost like the exact same phone, wasn't faster or any smoother, battery life was still mediocre, etc...

And from the early leaks the 8 Pro looks good, but nothing gigantic to make it a lot better than the 7 Pro. The big Pixel upgrade is coming with the Pixel 10 series when Google switches to TSMC and ditches Exynos for the chipset hardware.
Honestly, the flat screen and the ultrasonic fingerprint reader are huge changes in themselves, TBH. That's enough for me to switch.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Honestly, the flat screen and the ultrasonic fingerprint reader are huge changes in themselves, TBH. That's enough for me to switch.

I wish the Pixel 8 Pro flat display will be the same as the Nothing Phone 2 or current iPhones, but from the leaks it's not going to be like those. It's going to be more like the Pixel 4 XL type display which isn't truly flat.

The new fingerprint scanner will be nice but I wouldn't rather them just go back to the rear FPS.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I would welcome that and a completley flat display along with Soli for facial recognition like on the P4 XL.
Dream phone right there....
Yeah it was really a bummer that they just scrapped the Soli facial recognition.... Hopefully they don't scrap the fold after this year lmao... One thing about Google we can't trust them to keep stuff going.. most importantly let's see what kind of improvements they are going to do with the new chip on this year's model.. I know we all would prefer a Snap gen 2 would be killer with the Pixel 8 series ...

So to add to your dream ..

Soli
Flat screen
Snap gen 2
Power button FPS or rear FPS

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Yeah it was really a bummer that they just scrapped the Soli facial recognition.... Hopefully they don't scrap the fold after this year lmao... One thing about Google we can't trust them to keep stuff going.. most importantly let's see what kind of improvements they are going to do with the new chip on this year's model.. I know we all would prefer a Snap gen 2 would be killer with the Pixel 8 series ...

So to add to your dream ..

Soli
Flat screen
Snap gen 2
Power button FPS or rear FPS
I've never experienced an in-display fingerprint smartphone before and don't get me wrong I enjoy having the Power Button FPS on the Z Fold, but if I had to choose out of both... I'll choose a in-display fingerprint.

When my phone is laid down screen faced up on the table.. instead of having to pick it up to unlock it. I think it's more convenient to place your finger on the screen versus picking it up.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I've never experienced an in-display fingerprint smartphone before and don't get me wrong I enjoy having the Power Button FPS on the Z Fold, but if I had to choose out of both... I'll choose a in-display fingerprint.

When my phone is laid down screen faced up on the table.. instead of having to pick it up to unlock it. I think it's more convenient to place your finger on the screen versus picking it up.

Usually my phone is on stand so easy to hit side if face unlock doesn’t open it

Reactions: jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I would welcome that and a completley flat display along with Soli for facial recognition like on the P4 XL.
Dream phone right there....
I never had Soli but I read enough about it and saw a little in person at Best Buy to wonder why Google dropped it completely. It would have given them a unique competitive advantage over other Androids.

Reactions: Bkdodger and jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

In-display sensors just don’t work that well for a lot of people. They’re inconsistent to an individual person on a moment to moment basis. AND they’re inconsistent across all users. Like, I had pretty good luck with the one on my Pixel 6 Pro but most other people were really feeling some frustration with theirs.

I briefly had my Pixel 6 Pro together with my Pixel 7a to compare and the Pixel 6 Pro sensor was so much better than the one on the 7a.

Probably most people would never have traded the Pixel 6 Pro for a 7a. But I was dealing with my weird display sensitivity issues. I just wanted a Pixel phone I could use. Plus I was really feeling the small cute factor and still really love that. But my 6 Pro was, as an individual specimen, quite excellent and I hope it’s found a good home with a new owner. I’m not really sure what Google does with the phones we send them.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
In-display sensors just don’t work that well for a lot of people. They’re inconsistent to an individual person on a moment to moment basis. AND they’re inconsistent across all users. Like, I had pretty good luck with the one on my Pixel 6 Pro but most other people were really feeling some frustration with theirs.

I briefly had my Pixel 6 Pro together with my Pixel 7a to compare and the Pixel 6 Pro sensor was so much better than the one on the 7a.

Probably most people would never have traded the Pixel 6 Pro for a 7a. But I was dealing with my weird display sensitivity issues. I just wanted a Pixel phone I could use. Plus I was really feeling the small cute factor and still really love that. But my 6 Pro was, as an individual specimen, quite excellent and I hope it’s found a good home with a new owner. I’m not really sure what Google does with the phones we send them.
I’m only looking at it terms of dream setup, for instance… having the best in-display sensor where it won’t be seen as inconsistent.

The idea that I can press my finger on the display and it unlocks is a dope concept, but then again… I would pick FaceID over in display FCP.

Reactions: 5105973

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

True but my in screen fingerprint scanner does not work at all so I wouldn't mind picking it up or using my index to touch the side of it if it works well. I'd rather it not be in screen as they are inconsistent.

Had one on the back that worked great.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I laugh at loud to myself about getting the Pixel 8 Pro. Will I, or won't I? Uh... every October I buy the latest Pixel phone, so who am I kidding.

Now getting the Galaxy S23 Ultra, I'm on the fence, maybe / maybe not, but at this point probably not, until I at least see the Pixel 8 Pro. I haven't owned a Samsung Galaxy phone since the S8, and I'm worried I may not like the S23U.

iPhone 15 Pro Max? The rumored hardware and battery upgrades make it sound like an absolute beast, and top dog of all dogs, a major leap forward hardware wise, truly next gen stuff, with maybe the best battery life ever in the history of smartphones, with an amazing display, and super fast hardware destroying everything else, while also being extremely efficient. The iPhone 15 Pro line is sounding like something from the future. But ... it runs iOS, which is a shame for such great hardware as to me iOS feels like something stuck a decade in the past, and I'm just not a fan of the Apple OS at all, unless a major overhaul / revamped to iOS happens, which isn't.

To me there's some special sauce in the Pixel phones, just so smooth, and fluid, and very minimal UI, no bloat and I'm just so used and comfortable to using a Pixel phone all these years, but they do frustrate me too at times, wishing they had the same hardware as the latest Galaxy phone. Imagine the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 and the bright display from S23U on the Pixel, that'd be amazing.

Sorry to ramble.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
I laugh at loud to myself about getting the Pixel 8 Pro. Will I, or won't I? Uh... every October I buy the latest Pixel phone, so who am I kidding.

Now getting the Galaxy S23 Ultra, I'm on the fence, maybe / maybe not, but at this point probably not, until I at least see the Pixel 8 Pro. I haven't owned a Samsung Galaxy phone since the S8, and I'm worried I may not like the S23U.

iPhone 15 Pro Max? The rumored hardware and battery upgrades make it sound like an absolute beast, and top dog of all dogs, a major leap forward hardware wise, truly next gen stuff, with maybe the best battery life ever in the history of smartphones, with an amazing display, and super fast hardware destroying everything else, while also being extremely efficient. The iPhone 15 Pro line is sounding like something from the future. But ... it runs iOS, which is a shame for such great hardware as to me iOS feels like something stuck a decade in the past, and I'm just not a fan of the Apple OS at all, unless a major overhaul / revamped to iOS happens, which isn't.

To me there's some special sauce in the Pixel phones, just so smooth, and fluid, and very minimal UI, no bloat and I'm just so used and comfortable to using a Pixel phone all these years, but they do frustrate me too at times, wishing they had the same hardware as the latest Galaxy phone. Imagine the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 and the bright display from S23U on the Pixel, that'd be amazing.

Sorry to ramble.

I got rid of my S23U after 2 weeks because of the above...

It wasn't a Pixel; it felt bloated with too much crap on it and IMO it wasn't as slick...

It also wasn't my iPhone 14 PM (that I sold to buy the S23U); the iPhone 14 did everything I wanted of it and more. It's integration into my Apple ecosystem is flawless; Music is so much better (obviously) on iOS than it is on Android etc, etc, etc...

I'll be absolutely going for the 15PM as long as it's USB C - The Pixel 8 Pro will also interest me a lot, more so as my Pixel 4XL is aging and my business Samsung A535G is just crap, basically...

But I don't think I'd ever go back to Samsung

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

Sorry to ramble.
I think you dislike Samsung UI more than I do. I am currently on a Flip 5 and I like the hardware a lot, but the software does leave a little to be desired for me.
If you're used to a Pixel then I think the only way is stock.

Having said that, you should try a S23 and if you don't like it can you not just return it no questions asked?! If I were you I'd do that before the 8 Pro comes out and then if you dislike it you know the route is Pixel?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
be interesting what pixel 8 series will offer.

i plan to upgrade my 7 pro for 8 pro. all know so far is new main sensor. G2 with staggered HDR and a new ultra wide lens which will be same sensor as whats in the 7a.

Flat display.

just hope tensor 3 is a decent improvement.

will be honest the camera is the main reason for me to upgrade

Reactions: Bkdodger

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
be interesting what pixel 8 series will offer.

i plan to upgrade my 7 pro for 8 pro. all know so far is new main sensor. G2 with staggered HDR and a new ultra wide lens which will be same sensor as whats in the 7a.

Flat display.

just hope tensor 3 is a decent improvement.

will be honest the camera is the main reason for me to upgrade
Hopefully some nice improvements... I might scoop up the regular pixel 8 instead of the pro to go alongside my current phone... We shall see lol

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Hopefully some nice improvements... I might scoop up the regular pixel 8 instead of the pro to go alongside my current phone... We shall see lol
seems like regular pixel 8 will get 120hz as well. i imagine though price will go up so it's not too close to the 7a

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
seems like regular pixel 8 will get 120hz as well. i imagine though price will go up so it's not too close to the 7a
I expected to go up a little bit I agree with you on that one as well... I'm okay with it It seems everything is up now anyway lol... I'm also thinking about upgrading to the iPhone 15 Pro this year so I got to go over my strategy lol...

Reactions: The Game 161

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I expected to go up a little bit I agree with you on that one as well... I'm okay with it It seems everything is up now anyway lol... I'm also thinking about upgrading to the iPhone 15 Pro this year so I got to go over my strategy lol...
Yeah

15 pro max and pixel 8 pro will be my phones of choice for the next year :) think these two suit my preferences going forward. I need to stick to one of each and stop buying new android phones.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Yeah

15 pro max and pixel 8 pro will be my phones of choice for the next year :) think these two suit my preferences going forward. I need to stick to one of each and stop buying new android phones.
I'm also debating if I should go to Max this time haha ...my 12 Pro is so nice to carry around ...hearing maybe titanium will make it lighter if true ..

Pixel you can't go wrong running with the 8 Pro ..flat screen will be a great thing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.