Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm also debating if I should go to Max this time haha ...my 12 Pro is so nice to carry around ...hearing maybe titanium will make it lighter if true ..

Pixel you can't go wrong running with the 8 Pro ..flat screen will be a great thing

Pro max if you want periscope lens :)

Yeah prefer flat displays so glad that’s the pixel route

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
2023 is year of the blue
6b20672f395751c4ffe9b77f6100807e.jpg

flagships

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
last year they revealed the 7 series at i/o but didn't this year so maybe that's where he's coming from?

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I'm excited about a smaller Pixel 8 this year. I'm hoping they make good improvements in heat management too for the Tensor G3.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
In a way I hope there is very little difference as it might make me keep my Pixel Fold (when it arrives)!

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Samsung and Google are on the line to produce a better chip. Obviously Google stated from the start that the focus was on Tensor not Benchmarks but we all know that performance matters too. The key areas where Samsung Exynos/Tensor are having problems is the same thing that Exynos based chips have had for a while which is poor thermal output/battery life/efficiency. The new Tensor G3 is a 9 core chip with one X3 and all arm v9 architecture cores. It should be on a better 4nm process.

So if the new Tensor G3 is close to the performance of the SD 8 gen 2 in terms of performance, battery life and thermal output then we will have a big win for Google and Samsung. Since I don't think Samsung can completely solve the issues with it's chips I don't expect perfection but enough of a difference that battery life is significantly better and thermal output is significantly better.

If Pixel 8 has a decent performance chip, better battery life, better flat screen, better camera system and similar design language then I think it is going to be a big win for Google if they keep prices down.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Everything I've read on Tensor 3, is it's just a slightly better version of T2, but nothing radically better or anything, just an incremental update. Absolutely nowhere near SD8 gen 2 type of chip, not even gen 1 type.

Besides the big change of going with a more flatter screen ( this will not be FLAT like an iPhone 14 Pro or Nothing Phone 2 flat display ) it will still be slightly curved at the very edges.

Besdies that, the Pixel 8 Pro will be a Pixel 7.5 Pro.

The real big deal Pixel will be the Pixel 10, in 2025 with the brand new custom built TSMC chipset inside.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Everything I've read on Tensor 3, is it's just a slightly better version of T2, but nothing radically better or anything, just an incremental update. Absolutely nowhere near SD8 gen 2 type of chip, not even gen 1 type.

Besides the big change of going with a more flatter screen ( this will not be FLAT like an iPhone 14 Pro or Nothing Phone 2 flat display ) it will still be slightly curved at the very edges.

Besdies that, the Pixel 8 Pro will be a Pixel 7.5 Pro.

The real big deal Pixel will be the Pixel 10, in 2025 with the brand new custom built TSMC chipset inside.
Well we will have to see what happens in real life. To me a 2.5d curve is a lot better than the current curve of the display. Still a lot easier to get a tempered glass screen protector.

I have actually read the Tensor G3 is close to the 8 gen 2 but it is not even close to the 8 gen 3 which it will be going up against next year. So I think the performance will still be a significant upgrade and if the heat and battery life is a lot better than it will be enough to make a good phone Pixel 7 series a great phone.

But rumors are tricky and until these are actually released and the chip starts showing up benchmark tests just to give an indication.

Of course you could be right and it turns out that the Tensor G3 is not much better than the Tensor G2 but I just find that hard to believe since we are going from x1 cores to X3 and from 8 to 9 cores and arm v9. Obviously the process from 5 to 4nm is not huge so a lot of improvement is going to be the new architecture and faster, more modern cores. So I am pretty sure we will see big improvements in single and multi core performance. Will it be better than 8 gen 2? It is possible but doubtful that it will beat SD 8 gen 2 but it will be significantly better than Tensor G2. Tensor G2 was a decent upgrade from Tensor and it didn't have a fast core, 9 cores, and arm v9, nor a better process. So I am guessing faster, better battery but still runs hot at times but much improved over G2.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

Tensor G3 will switch to the more recent ARMv9 cores from 2022. This should offer parity between the G3 and other leading chipsets such as Qualcomm's SnapDragon 8 Gen 1 series.

SD8 Gen 3 due out in a few months, and Tensor 3 just matches the 2 year old Snapdragon, which wasn't know for good efficiency or battery life, it was the Gen 2 that has massive improvements to battery, and then the upcoming Gen 3 due out soon is supposed to still be very efficient, but offer a big hike in GPU performance 50%+ better than Gen 2.

My prediction for the 8 Pro, yes the flatter screen will be nice, but it's not iPhone 14 Pro or Nothing Phone 2 FLAT, it will still have a slight curve at the edge. But still a flatter display over the current curved screen will be welcomed.

The screen is supposed to also be brighter, which is good

Other than that, the Tensor 3 is another minor improvement over the Tensor 2, nothing radical, and not even close to the SD8 Gen 2. So I would expect performance and battery life to maybe be a little better than the current 7 Pro but not much

Last edited:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
What color Pixel 8 Pro are you all looking at?

Seems the 8 Pro will come in 3 colors;

-White
-Black
-Light Blue

And the lower end regular 8 coming in;

-Cream White
-Black
-Green

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.