Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Does anyone know how I can change the icons from circle to square, like on the Galaxy phones?

Also how do I remove the google search bar at the bottom of the screen?
You can't change the icons on a Pixel without a different launcher. They got rid of that option a while ago.

And your can't remove that either right now, though it's rumored to be coming in a future update.

I know, they're trying to be Apple in some respects by forcing you into some things.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
You can't change the icons on a Pixel without a different launcher. They got rid of that option a while ago.

And your can't remove that either right now, though it's rumored to be coming in a future update.

I know, they're trying to be Apple in some respects by forcing you into some things.
Oh I didn’t know that, I don’t like that I can’t remove the search bar at the bottom. In effect they are making people use Google as their only search engine.

I know I can change the wallpaper and colour of the icons, I just thought I would be able to customise more than it seems I can.

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
I don't see any reason to not change launcher. People say that you then miss out on stuff in Pixel launcher, but what is that exactly? With Nova Launcher you can change icons and choose not to have the search bar etc.

Reactions: Bkdodger

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I don't see any reason to not change launcher. People say that you then miss out on stuff in Pixel launcher, but what is that exactly? With Nova Launcher you can change icons and choose not to have the search bar etc.

100% agree with you right here… there’s nothing to the stock launcher… your experience will be even better if you put a third-party Launcher… especially something like Nova Pro

Reactions: jamezr

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I’m simply replying to the person who brought the matter up when they quoted me.

I’ll be giving it until just before the return window close, so I can test battery life, camera and how I get on with the OS.

I’m not sure if you have always listening for music turned on, but I always found that to be something I don’t use and I saved by not using it and turning it off.. run the phone through a few cycles before you can get a better handle on the battery usage..

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I’m not sure if you have always listening for music turned on, but I always found that to be something I don’t use and I saved by not using it and turning it off.. run the phone through a few cycles before you can get a better handle on the battery usage..
Yea that's what I intend to do, I do have that turned off since I don't use it at all.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Yea that's what I intend to do, I do have that turned off since I don't use it at all.

Good man my P8P runs the whole day most days with a few heavy days I bump charge if it’s a long day start to finish..it’s not as good as my IPhone 15 PM battery wise but I also use both phones differently..I would also recommend the 3rd party launcher for customization like Nova Pro..it has customization like desktop home grid ..move or remove search bar..overlapping widgets ..multiple dock pages ..gestures ..transition effects ..I can go on lol I’ve been using it since it was initially released..of course there are other launcher options ..

Reactions: Dave245

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Guys, we hit a bingo!

- Androids are cheap ✅
- USB-C is inferior to Lightning ✅
- Worse battery life ✅
- Sideloading and third-party app stores are bad ✅
- Apps are worse than on iOS ✅
- Poor ecosystem ✅
- Poor aftermarket support ✅
- Huge fragmentation across devices ✅
- Androids are full of exploits and not so secure in general ✅
- Poor quality control in Google Play store ✅
Most of which are true.

Please tell me outside of galaxy s ant pixels, where the aftermarket support.

Androids are cheap and they make up the bulk lol.

The apps are worse. Especially the look/font. Facebook in android vs iOS Just feels different.

There is fragmentation across devices. Only 14 percent run current android version and even those who do don’t all have the same features lol.

You have to buy into an ecosystem. Oh wait. Kinda like apple.
ignoring the many, many issues software (and hardware) the other side has experienced. Love how that gets pushed under the rug
What issues? I have very little if any problems with iOS/ipad/macos or any of my apple products.

My only complaint and feature I want from android is the ability to copy and paste from the keyboard but thats minor.

I switched to my galaxy while my iPhone charges and I’m already annoyed typing this.
isn't that deep" and (their) "self-worth isn't tied to a phone" yet
Funny you say this when the same thing could be applied you you and everyone fanatically defending android because of a differing view.
Takes multiple clicks to dig down into this section, yet they "accidentally" posted these diatribes here. Ok then. I'm out, I've fed their fire enough.

lol I don’t pay attention to forums. Saw the title. Wish we could manually block all android topics but I digress 🤷🏾‍♀️
Once iOS 18 comes out and RCS is enabled I will no longer have to think twice about how I send that multimedia file to my friends. Thank God.

Hopefully we can disable RCS in settings because I don’t want or need it.
At least the EU is dragging them, kicking and screaming in the 21st century.
Yes. Butchering iOS to make it palatable for android users. How joyous.
But when apple does this it’s bad. That’s a double standard
don't see any reason to not change launcher.
Changing the launcher is the only way to make android somewhat better especially on stock.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
There are features missing for us in the UK tho, not many but there are some.
Returns may be easier over there. Hopefully smooth return experience when you do eventually decide to return it.

I’ll be keeping an eye on your posts especially if you’re as all in as I am with the ecosystem. I could never personally ever use anything outside YouTube without being disturbed.

I’m already annoyed I have a gmail account just to be able to use Google Fi Wireless.

And hey you might wind up liking it better, can’t see how, but that’s ok too.
24hrs and already worrying about return options?

Give it a fair chance over the next week or so.

They should at least have a different perspective than the 100 percent android/pixel is good and iOS/apple is bad mantra you all are pushing. They did ask for opinions.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Thank goodness for the Ignore button LOL

Dave245, the Pixel 8 Pro is a fantastic device, just have to give it a solid week+ to truly test it.

I kept my S24U and replying with it now, this is an awesome Android phone too. Super high-end feeling.

Android's in a good spot with the likes of Pixel Pro's, Galaxy Ultra's, Nothing Phone's.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013

Dave245, the Pixel 8 Pro is a fantastic device, just have to give it a solid week+ to truly test it.

I kept my S24U and replying with it now, this is an awesome Android phone too. Super high-end feeling.

Android's in a good spot with the likes of Pixel Pro's, Galaxy Ultra's, Nothing Phone's.
Yea I intend too, luckily here in the UK we get around 14 - 28 days to return things (depending on the company). I will be giving it as close to that time as possible in order to decide and see what I think.

I just hope the battery life get's better, it's 4:16pm here in the UK, I have less than 40% left :oops:

I do like the build quality tho, it's solid. The Mint colour is so nice, it has to be my favourite colour so far on a smart phone. I also like how Google have matched the UI with the mint colour too, I appreciate the details like that. I do wish there was more customisation tho, maybe not as much as Samsung's Goodlock, but at least let us customise the Lock Screen and Always on Display a bit more.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Yea I intend too, luckily here in the UK we get around 14 - 28 days to return things (depending on the company). I will be giving it as close to that time as possible in order to decide and see what I think.

I just hope the battery life get's better, it's 4:16pm here in the UK, I have less than 40% left :oops:

I do like the build quality tho, it's solid. The Mint colour is so nice, it has to be my favourite colour so far on a smart phone. I also like how Google have matched the UI with the mint colour too, I appreciate the details like that. I do wish there was more customisation tho, maybe not as much as Samsung's Goodlock, but at least let us customise the Lock Screen and Always on Display a bit more.

Pixel UI is very stripped down, minimalist. And yeah they don't allow much customization, that's just the way it is with a Pixel, a more simple minimal type OS, it's called the Google iPhone for a reason LOL.

Reactions: Technerd108

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Pixel UI is very stripped down, minimalist. And yeah they don't allow much customization, that's just the way it is with a Pixel, a more simple minimal type OS, it's called the Google iPhone for a reason LOL.
Yes indeed and also in terms of sustained performance metrics compared to iPhone 14 and 15 Pro models.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX

Glad to see you stuck with it. I can't choose between the two to be honest. A Pixel made by Samsung would be just about the perfect device for me.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Oh I didn’t know that, I don’t like that I can’t remove the search bar at the bottom. In effect they are making people use Google as their only search engine.

I know I can change the wallpaper and colour of the icons, I just thought I would be able to customise more than it seems I can.

Also you can’t move your pages in a different order how you set it up is how you have it. I would suggest using nova launcher

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
One has a robust ecosystem that is unmatched in terms of support and product wise. The other mines and sells your data because you are their product and that freedom you brag about comes at a cost.

One creates a platform while the other (google) throws whatever at the wall to see what sticks. If they don’t kill it or rebrand it.

Apple may be late but they usually do it better and then android copies them.

Never mind Googles other shady practices outside of android.

I’m not locked in. I can leave iOS anytime. But I’d be settling for a subpar ecosystem and an even worse product.

My self worth is not tied to my phone and I for the most part don’t care what others use. I sometimes am annoyed when I can’t do something apple related but I make do.

Most of my android ppl wind up switching to iOS so it’s not that big a deal so I’m happy.
Okay.

Your not helping with your bias.

I don't know what your motivation is but it is extremely misinformed at best and at worst just veiled attempts of proving superiority.

Google shady practices? Are you serious? I can explain open so
Both of Those are true. If you look at the most popular androids poll Samsung budget a series is more popular than the s and fold

That’s false.

It’s not derogatory lol. It’s literally fact. The majority of androids market share is from budget android phones. I’m stating facts.

In America, you can go to any prepaid carrier and get androids free. Walmart I can get one for $30. The government literally gives free (crappy) androids phones out lol.

Expand that to emerging markets and mainly low end sales

Galaxy s and pixels don’t even make up the majority. Nearly 2 billion active android devices and they are low end.

That’s fact

I wasn’t talking about foldable but ok.

I’m sorry if you take criticism of a device personal. Especially on a public forum. I have not said anything negative about android users.
I can get iPhones for free on prepaid carriers too?

Samsung budget phones are more popular because they offer a lot of features iPhones don't offer even if they cost a lot more.

There is no doubt that Android users outnumber iOS by a large number and a lot of that has to do with better less expensive devices. You can look at the Indian tech market to see a prime example of this. But that doesn't mean the ONLY appeal or draw to Android is cheap phones. iPhones older models like iPHone 12 and 13 are often times very low cost on carrier deals around the world but people still choose better Android phones.

I don't take any of this personal because I don't care about your opinion. I just point pout your opinion and I am the one who is taking things personally? Have I said anything at all negative about you or Apple beyond stating observations anyone here could make?

You have said negative things by basically inferring the only reason people use Android is because it is cheaper and that assumption and opinion is wrong and smacks of elitism and cultural privilege. You worded it so you couldn't get called out for a specific derogatory comment but inferred a derogatory comment. Either way you made the point and I never said anything about the why Apple users buy Apple phones having to do with cost or what Apple users can afford. You did about Android users. Let's just be real, you think Android is inferior and the only reason anyone would use an inferior product is because they can't afford the better product. Right? What does that sound like? Classism much?

And classism and elitism which is a theme of Apple only users is what is something I will always point out and address and I am sorry if YOU took it personally.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
This exactly. I suggested you don't change the launcher to get used to how Pixel does things like how Apple does things. Get used to the restrictions because they may grow on you after a while due to their simplicity and reliability. Google launcher is simple and fast. That is a good way to start. I have used Nova launcher and Apex launcher since Donut. I would recommend if you use a 3rd party that you start with Nova. But the options and customizations can be dizzying.

I don't even see the Google search bar anymore and there are times when it was actually useful.

If customization is your thing then I really think One UI is a lot better. The entire thing that is great about a Pixel is sort of the default experience and being able to customize that as much as you can. Google has a way and it works if you try it.

But you got to try and experiment until you feel happy. No problem trying launchers. You can easily uninstall if you don't like them. Good luck!

• Haha
Reactions: scorpio vega

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Returns may be easier over there. Hopefully smooth return experience when you do eventually decide to return it.

I’ll be keeping an eye on your posts especially if you’re as all in as I am with the ecosystem. I could never personally ever use anything outside YouTube without being disturbed.

I’m already annoyed I have a gmail account just to be able to use Google Fi Wireless.

And hey you might wind up liking it better, can’t see how, but that’s ok too.

They should at least have a different perspective than the 100 percent android/pixel is good and iOS/apple is bad mantra you all are pushing. They did ask for opinions.
The only one pushing any agenda or mantra about any system or OS being better is you. Most of the people here disagree with your assumption that iOS is way superior. You are saying that. You are saying the only reason people buy Android is because it is cheap. You. We are refuting you and then you twist everything around and claimwe are the ones championing Android when that is false.

Mental gymnastics are a desperate sign you are losing the argument you have put forth. But go ahead and keep telling us why iOS is better and why we are saying ANdroid is superior when we refute you.....

If I wanted to trash talk iOS there is plenty to say. But I can just say one word. Siri. Hey Siri, I need directions to Ralphs grocery store, SIRI " Here is what I found for your query, Ralphs Steel production, Raplhos clothing store, Rudolphos Mexican restaurant, etc.... What about the moment I put my sim into an iPhone and I get a spam call....I can go on and on but Yeah we only use Android because it is cheap.........And so ****ing what?

I use Android because it is my preference and it is actually cheaper for me to upgrade my ultra every year than it is to buy a new iPhone and that is a big reason I am a Samsung customer specifically. They have taken care of me over the years and when I don't like what they have I am not punished by incompatibility when I use a different brand phone. I prefer paying as little out of pocket while have the best device poss and right now with Samsung it is a win, win..

So I guess I am stupid for saving money on objectively better device than with Apple.

I am not ashamed to be frugal. It is a missing quality today.

So sure cost is a big deal BUT it is not my first priority when determining a device I want. I simply want the best. Then I want the best price.

No matter what anyone says all tech devices are a terrible ROI. So having the lowest operating costs is preferred since most of the money you invested is depreciated over time.

So if spending less and getting more is a bad strategy them blame me. And I don't have an inferior ecosystem or apps and with Windows I have all the software I could ever need. All of my Android and windows devices are synced. I can share files instantly from any device. I can call and message directly from my PC, tablet or phone or watch. I can mirror my phone on my PC and use Android apps on the phone on my PC.

There is nothing I am missing. I can accomplish any task you can on Apple devices on mine. I have a better level of interconnectivity because Windows/Android doesn't lock me down(ironic isn't it).

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This says it all....

3566461ef6599db8aa7ee991aad6abc8.jpg

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
of the people here disagree with your assumption that iOS is way superior. You are saying that.
I imagine android fans would disagree so this makes no sense.
You are saying the only reason people buy Android is because it is cheap. You. We are refuting you and then you twist everything around
I didn’t twist anything around. If you chose to take offense that’s your prerogative, mate. I don’t need to imply. I’d simply say it. Are you sure you are not taking the comment personally because you really don’t need to justify your purchase.

I never said the only reason ppl buy android was because they are cheap. I said it Is a huge reason why people buy it and why it’s so popular.

I’ll use another example. My beloved Windows Phone platform. (R.i.P) way better than android and at that time IOS. Unfortunately due to a lack of apps it never got traction it also was imploded when Microsoft tried to turn windows 10 mobile into android basically. Terribly experience and it’s when I started hating Windows mobile.

However, Nokia and Microsoft only saw an increase in market share by doing what android did. Making a crap ton of low end phones that people brought because they were CHEAP. Microsoft actually was outselling iPhones and Samsung in some markets.

Which proved my point. It wasn’t because einfod phone was better. It was cheap lmao. I had the lumia 920/930/1020/1520/950 phones all high end but it was the 520 with its cheap price that sustained the platform lol.

Same with android. Androids success has little to do with what it’s feature set is.

1. Android became popular because for years iPhones were exclusive. Anyone can get android.

2. Androids have always been cheaper and available on prepaid. iPhones are as well but that’s only around the time SE became a thing.

Android is obviously able to run on premium hardware but the obvious appeal is the price point.

Thats not classist. It’s keeping it real. Androids popularity is because it’s cheap and easily available worldwide unlike apple.

It has little to do with android being better than iOS. Most ppl I know who have had cheap androids complain about how terrible they are but they don’t wanna spread more then $50

If you take every low and mid range android device out the equation and simply have galaxy and pixels you’d vs apples current line up they will literally be about even.

Hence why the Se exists and also why apple went prepaid. For the market share. They already have the premium.

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I mean the site is an apple site. So shouldn’t be that shocking that most like ios lol.

Not anything I made up. A quick google search shows this and RCS are wholly unreliable.

She* and no. Not employed.

I actually have used android since 2008 so I’m very experienced. I know you guys have an issue if someone isn’t singing android but it’s okay to criticize your preferred platform. Android is not infallible
Sorry to get your gender wrong it was unintentional.

I stand by what I said though.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Sorry to get your gender wrong it was unintentional.

I stand by what I said though.
No worries 😊

I also stand by what I have said.

It’s scary to even imagine a world where android very well could be the only mobile phone. My stomach turns at the thought. It’s already annoying the bastardized attempts to start making iOS behave as such.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.