Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Only a few months? And yea I’ve disabled that. I’ve also turned off the always on display, tweaked a few things like keeping the display at the lower resolution and also turning off the listening for what music is playing feature.

It is annoying tho because it feels like I’m turning off features that I’ve paid for. I will report more fully on the battery when I’ve used it for a week or so, I have until the 24th to return so I will test until a few days before then and make my mind up.

So as to not rile the pixel users, I’ll ask.

What are your thoughts on apps you use vs iOS versions. For me, the android versions feel sluggish. Not terrible but noticeable.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013

What are your thoughts on apps you use vs iOS versions. For me, the android versions feel sluggish. Not terrible but noticeable.
I’ve said it before in the Samsung S23 and S24 Ultra threads. The app quality doesn’t seem to be as good on certain apps like Facebook and Twitter (now X). However it doesn’t really matter since I don’t use Facebook that much.

The thing is that isn’t the fault of Pixel or Samsung, or any other Android device manufacturer. App quality is down to the developers. WhatsApp on the other end I find much better on Android, I love that I can have the widget on my Home Screen and see messages appear within that widget.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Only a few months? And yea I’ve disabled that. I’ve also turned off the always on display, tweaked a few things like keeping the display at the lower resolution and also turning off the listening for what music is playing feature.

It is annoying tho because it feels like I’m turning off features that I’ve paid for. I will report more fully on the battery when I’ve used it for a week or so, I have until the 24th to return so I will test until a few days before then and make my mind up.
Yes, I sold it and got the S24+ which I am still using.

My photos of our dog among other things came out way too cool and not representative of real life. It varied wildly. Some photos were spot on spectacular and others not at all accurate.

The deal breaker was the odd Bluetooth bug I experienced. No matter the settings, earphones, or otherwise, calls and notifications would sound on the phone and through my BT earbuds despite being connected to BT. I could not make it through a work call without a notification playing unless I put the phone in silent mode. Which then caused me to miss some notifications through the earbuds.

I experienced the same thing on my S24+, the difference being Samsung has Samsung Sound Assistant and allows me to fine tune notifications to work properly when connected to Bluetooth. Android quirk.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yes, I sold it and got the S24+ which I am still using.

My photos of our dog among other things came out way too cool and not representative of real life. It varied wildly. Some photos were spot on spectacular and others not at all accurate.

The deal breaker was the odd Bluetooth bug I experienced. No matter the settings, earphones, or otherwise, calls and notifications would sound on the phone and through my BT earbuds despite being connected to BT. I could not make it through a work call without a notification playing unless I put the phone in silent mode. Which then caused me to miss some notifications through the earbuds.

I experienced the same thing on my S24+, the difference being Samsung has Samsung Sound Assistant and allows me to fine tune notifications to work properly when connected to Bluetooth. Android quirk.
Interestingly i have photos taken from my iPhone 15 Pro Max, S24 Ultra (before i returned it) and the Pixel 8 Pro I’m now using.

So far I’m preferring the S24 Ultra and iPhone 15 Pro Max, now this does depend on the photo. The S24 Ultra tastes some great outdoor pictures and great pictures of people, but it’s not the best at moving objects like children or animals. My iPhone 15 Pro Max takes great photos as well, however they are not as punchy as the S24 Ultra, but the 15 Pro Max is much better at moving objects like children and dogs.

The Pixel doesn’t take bad photos don’t get me wrong, I’m just noticing there is less detail and as you say the pictures are really cool and not life like in the same way that my iPhone is. Also I really don’t like the time it takes to process a photo, hit the button and i wait up to around 10 seconds before the photo is finished. It kind of ruins the moment.

Zoom photos for obvious reasons goes to the S24 Ultra, the iPhone can’t hold a candle to it and neither can the Pixel 8 Pro, even tho the Pixel does zoom in a little further than the iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Reactions: Sensamic

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
Interestingly i have photos taken from my iPhone 15 Pro Max, S24 Ultra (before i returned it) and the Pixel 8 Pro I’m now using.

So far I’m preferring the S24 Ultra and iPhone 15 Pro Max, now this does depend on the photo. The S24 Ultra tastes some great outdoor pictures and great pictures of people, but it’s not the best at moving objects like children or animals. My iPhone 15 Pro Max takes great photos as well, however they are not as punchy as the S24 Ultra, but the 15 Pro Max is much better at moving objects like children and dogs.

The Pixel doesn’t take bad photos don’t get me wrong, I’m just noticing there is less detail and as you say the pictures are really cool and not life like in the same way that my iPhone is. Also I really don’t like the time it takes to process a photo, hit the button and i wait up to around 10 seconds before the photo is finished. It kind of ruins the moment.

Zoom photos for obvious reasons goes to the S24 Ultra, the iPhone can’t hold a candle to it and neither can the Pixel 8 Pro, even tho the Pixel does zoom in a little further than the iPhone 15 Pro Max.
It doesn't take up to 10 seconds to process a photo right?? For me it takes like 1-2 seconds. About the temperature of photos I've come the conclusion that no phone produces the correct temperature 10/10 times. Sometimes the Pixel can take some cooler pictures and sometimes it nails it. The S24 Ultra and iPhone sometimes takes too warm pictures where's the Pixel takes the more true to life picture.

Reactions: Harthag

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
It doesn't take up to 10 seconds to process a photo right?? For me it takes like 1-2 seconds. About the temperature of photos I've come the conclusion that no phone produces the correct temperature 10/10 times. Sometimes the Pixel can take some cooler pictures and sometimes it nails it. The S24 Ultra and iPhone sometimes takes too warm pictures where's the Pixel takes the more true to life picture.
It varies, 10 seconds maybe a slight over exaggeration! what I mean is that I hit the button it takes the photo, however in the bottom left hand corner it says "processing" there's a small circle wheel of progression, some times it takes 2 or seconds, other times it can take longer. I haven't actually timed it so I can't say if it takes a full 10 seconds, what I meant was up to that but certainly no longer.

I do think the Pixel takes cooler photos, you are correct that no photo is always 100% at 100% of the time. I do prefer the S24 Ultra and the iPhone when it comes to photos that seem more realist with more warmth colour. For example at the Weeknd I met up with my best friend, we went out for food, a few drinks and a walk around a local lake. Taking photos with the Pixel I noticed that I had to wait longer in order to take the next one, but also the colour just didn't look as appealing. That's not to say it's a bad camera, it really isn't, I think it comes down to personal preference.

What I really don't like the is the waiting after taking a photo, especially when your with someone and you want to take photos of them or animals who won't stat still, by the time the photos processed you can't take another one because the moment has gone.

Neofox

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2024

App that I use frequently are actually better than the Apple version (I don’t know about Facebook or twitter, no one use that there)
They generally feel faster with more features and I don’t have to go in the f*ing settings app to change some basic settings.
Also I tend to use some apps together (like doing a restaurant search or whatever and looking at the reviews on an other app) and juggling between two apps on iPhone is very inconvenient

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I’ve said it before in the Samsung S23 and S24 Ultra threads. The app quality doesn’t seem to be as good on certain apps like Facebook and Twitter (now X). However it doesn’t really matter since I don’t use Facebook that much.

The thing is that isn’t the fault of Pixel or Samsung, or any other Android device manufacturer. App quality is down to the developers. WhatsApp on the other end I find much better on Android, I love that I can have the widget on my Home Screen and see messages appear within that widget.

I’m not the biggest fans of widgets. I only liked windows phone live tiles because they were not Sa ugly as widgets on android.

My take on android vs iOS apps is twofold

1. Developers take time with iOS apps. I hear apple users are likely to buy or subscribe (android has high piracy levels) so I can see why quality is important.

2. I read it’s easier to develop iOS apps. Idk how true this is but taking in configurations of 1000s of androids, it makes sense their apps are inferior.

The google fi app on android is slower then the iOS version

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
App that I use frequently are actually better than the Apple version (I don’t know about Facebook or twitter, no one use that there)
They generally feel faster with more features and I don’t have to go in the f*ing settings app to change some basic settings.
Also I tend to use some apps together (like doing a restaurant search or whatever and looking at the reviews on an other app) and juggling between two apps on iPhone is very inconvenient
I have no issues using multiple apps together really and I actually like the idea of the settings as on android I often have to dig through bloated apps to figure out WHERE in the app it is.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It varies, 10 seconds maybe a slight over exaggeration! what I mean is that I hit the button it takes the photo, however in the bottom left hand corner it says "processing" there's a small circle wheel of progression, some times it takes 2 or seconds, other times it can take longer. I haven't actually timed it so I can't say if it takes a full 10 seconds, what I meant was up to that but certainly no longer.

I do think the Pixel takes cooler photos, you are correct that no photo is always 100% at 100% of the time. I do prefer the S24 Ultra and the iPhone when it comes to photos that seem more realist with more warmth colour. For example at the Weeknd I met up with my best friend, we went out for food, a few drinks and a walk around a local lake. Taking photos with the Pixel I noticed that I had to wait longer in order to take the next one, but also the colour just didn't look as appealing. That's not to say it's a bad camera, it really isn't, I think it comes down to personal preference.

What I really don't like the is the waiting after taking a photo, especially when your with someone and you want to take photos of them or animals who won't stat still, by the time the photos processed you can't take another one because the moment has gone.
It's not like you need to wait to take another photo. You don't need to wait for it to process. You can take as many photos as you want you don't have to view them all before taking the next one as it will still process

It's basically googles way of processing a photo to make it look better

Reactions: PaddyFowler

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
just fire away at your pics and let Google take care of us.. I've never had any photos where I had to worry about waiting for it..

Reactions: atiffarooq

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
It's not like you need to wait to take another photo. You don't need to wait for it to process. You can take as many photos as you want you don't have to view them all before taking the next one as it will still process

It's basically googles way of processing a photo to make it look better
I like to look at how my pictures turned out, but I get your point. After processing, the pictures are nice, on par with my iPhone 15 Pro Max. I would say they are cooler tho, and the Pixel does have stutter especially when moving from one lens to another.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
just fire away at your pics and let Google take care of us.. I've never had any photos where I had to worry about waiting for it..
The issue I've had is where I've pressed the button to take a pic and it's taken a second, during that time the dog has moved. Pictures in general do turn out nice, more detail like on the 200mp camera of the Samsung Ultra would be nice tho. I would say the Pixel is on par with my iPhone 15 Pro Max when it comes to picture quality, however the Pixel is much more cooler while the iPhone and even the S24 Ultra (when I had that phone and took the pictures) were a lot warmer.

Reactions: Bkdodger

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
The issue I've had is where I've pressed the button to take a pic and it's taken a second, during that time the dog has moved. Pictures in general do turn out nice, more detail like on the 200mp camera of the Samsung Ultra would be nice tho. I would say the Pixel is on par with my iPhone 15 Pro Max when it comes to picture quality, however the Pixel is much more cooler while the iPhone and even the S24 Ultra (when I had that phone and took the pictures) were a lot warmer.

I definitely see that with the temp processing between the different phones also see how you like the setting off or on with Ultra HD .. if I'm taking pics of animals I tend to just keep tapping on the camera button and choose the best pic to catch movement

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Where pixel is better for me is that more pleasing look. Skin tones are far superior on the pixel. iPhone still very much has a yellow ish look which I'm not kind on.

Which is why family photos I tend to only use my pixel

Pixel for photos and my iPhone in my other hand for video for events like birthdays and Christmas

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I definitely see that with the temp processing between the different phones also see how you like the setting off or on with Ultra HD .. if I'm taking pics of animals I tend to just keep tapping on the camera button and choose the best pic to catch movement
This is where unblur feature comes in clutch

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Where pixel is better for me is that more pleasing look. Skin tones are far superior on the pixel. iPhone still very much has a yellow ish look which I'm not kind on.

Which is why family photos I tend to only use my pixel

Pixel for photos and my iPhone in my other hand for video for events like birthdays and Christmas
Yellow look? I can’t say I’ve noticed that on mine. I see what you mean about the skin tones on the Pixel tho. To me it looks over processed, when zooming in the details are not there as much as they are on my iPhone 15 Pro Max.

I have the 50MP turned on in Pro settings, on my iPhone I have Raw Max on and 24MP set under the photo capture setting.

Battery life so far on the Pixel doesn’t even get me to the end of the day, I’m having to charge half way through the day.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Yellow look? I can’t say I’ve noticed that on mine. I see what you mean about the skin tones on the Pixel tho. To me it looks over processed, when zooming in the details are not there as much as they are on my iPhone 15 Pro Max.

I have the 50MP turned on in Pro settings, on my iPhone I have Raw Max on and 24MP set under the photo capture setting.

Battery life so far on the Pixel doesn’t even get me to the end of the day, I’m having to charge half way through the day.
Where are you % wise at the half way mark ?

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
You mean where am I half way through the day? I get to around 4pm and it dies.
Oh wow.. and you're on Wi-Fi or mixed usage? How do you notice the signal strength compared to the IP 15 PM ? So at around 8 or 9 hours usage now ?

Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Oh wow.. and you're on Wi-Fi or mixed usage? How do you notice the signal strength compared to the IP 15 PM ? So at around 8 or 9 hours usage now ?
Mixed usage, wifi when I’m at home or at work. 4G when I’m on the train or out in public. Signal strength is at 1 bar compared to 3 on my iPhone 15 Pro Max.

My usage is making calls, using WhatsApp, internet browsing, taking pictures, listening to Apple Music.

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
The battery life for me is great, easily 7h SOT. I dunno, but did you get a potato? I mean if it takes up to 10 seconds to process a picture and now terrible battery life?

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Mixed usage, wifi when I’m at home or at work. 4G when I’m on the train or out in public. Signal strength is at 1 bar compared to 3 on my iPhone 15 Pro Max.

My usage is making calls, using WhatsApp, internet browsing, taking pictures, listening to Apple Music.
I don’t expect your battery life to get better.

The cooler pics are a reason why I’m not a fan of pixel cameras. Photographs look full comparatively so to galaxy and of Course iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.