Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Update incoming
e71cb431bd645de08fc01bc534d87fea.jpg
yep...getting it on my unlocked on Verizon too :)
742 MB its big one...

Reactions: Bkdodger

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
What does Nova bring to the table nowadays that's worth using it over stock launchers like OneUI? I remember using it years ago, but what cool features does it have now?

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
What does Nova bring to the table nowadays that's worth using it over stock launchers like OneUI? I remember using it years ago, but what cool features does it have now?
Nova allows tons more customization of the UI. Everything from the look and feel of icons, to how your app drawer is laid out, can be customized. Most important to me is being allowed to edit how many icons on your homescreen are permitted.

Nova can even add gestures, and other deeper settings that I personally don't need.

I could never use the stock launcher. First thing to do with any new phone is add Nova.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Oh just a couple of extra settings.. overlapping widgets ..unlimited screen grid changes.. gestures settings.. home pages.. scrolling dock ..search bar remove or placement..

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensamic

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Ok so here are my thoughts after over a week with the Pixel 8 Pro.

The design is nice, it's great in the hand much more holdable than the S24 Ultra. However the camera bar just seems to big for my liking, it catches sometimes when putting in and out of my pocket. The mint colour is really nice, it's my favourite colour on any smartphone so far.

The UI is very clean, but I do find it stutters at times, for a second or two. I like the weather and clock widgets, they look unusual and they match with the colour of the wallpaper. I really don't like that I can't delete the Google search bar at the bottom of the screen, I also can't remove the at a glance, customise the always on display or even the lock screen very much. Customisation is ok, but Google are very much like Apple in that they don't let customisation of certain things (without rooting or adding a new launcher).

The camera was what I was mostly looking forward too, while I'm impressed with how clear photos are they have a smoothness that I'm just not a fan of, to me it comes across as over processed. Out of my iPhone 15 Pro Max and the Pixel, I prefer the iPhone. The Pixel camera is good for zooming, but it can only go up to 30X, which is only 5X more than the iPhone 15 Pro Max. Overall for zooming you still can't beat the S23 or S24 Ultra (which can go up to 100X). The thing I don't like the most is that after taking a picture, in order to see how it will turn out with Google's processing you have to wait (a little circle appears and the bottom left saying "Processing").

AI Photo features like Best Take work well, but only work the best when you are taking multiple photos of the same person or group of people. The issue I find is that if you are taking a photo of someone or even a group, most people don't want to stand there while someone takes a load of photos, just to be able to change it after. You are better off telling the person or people to just look at the camera.

Taking video is good, but it's definitely still better on the iPhone. The Video Boost feature takes to long to process, a 10 minute clip taking over an hour to be sent to Google's serves and then back is just too long.

But the worse part about the Google Pixel 8 and the main reason I've decided to return it, is the battery life. Doing anything like taking pictures, recording video, phone calls, hot spotting, drains the hell out of the battery. I wake up at 5am with my phone at 100% and I have to charge it again around 4PM at the latest. By the time I go to bed (around 11pm-1am) I'm putting it back on charge again.
For comparison, my iPhone 15 Pro Max lasts me the same day with still 30%-40% left by the time I go to bed!

I'm going to be returning the Pixel 8 Pro in a couple of days, my return window closes on the 24th. In a weird way owning this phone has made me appreciate the Samsung S24 Ultra more in a number of different ways, including the battery life.
It was fun while it lasted, but ultimately the Google Pixel is not for me.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA

The design is nice, it's great in the hand much more holdable than the S24 Ultra. However the camera bar just seems to big for my liking, it catches sometimes when putting in and out of my pocket. The mint colour is really nice, it's my favourite colour on any smartphone so far.

The UI is very clean, but I do find it stutters at times, for a second or two. I like the weather and clock widgets, they look unusual and they match with the colour of the wallpaper. I really don't like that I can't delete the Google search bar at the bottom of the screen, I also can't remove the at a glance, customise the always on display or even the lock screen very much. Customisation is ok, but Google are very much like Apple in that they don't let customisation of certain things (without rooting or adding a new launcher).

The camera was what I was mostly looking forward too, while I'm impressed with how clear photos are they have a smoothness that I'm just not a fan of, to me it comes across as over processed. Out of my iPhone 15 Pro Max and the Pixel, I prefer the iPhone. The Pixel camera is good for zooming, but it can only go up to 30X, which is only 5X more than the iPhone 15 Pro Max. Overall for zooming you still can't beat the S23 or S24 Ultra (which can go up to 100X). The thing I don't like the most is that after taking a picture, in order to see how it will turn out with Google's processing you have to wait (a little circle appears and the bottom left saying "Processing").

AI Photo features like Best Take work well, but only work the best when you are taking multiple photos of the same person or group of people. The issue I find is that if you are taking a photo of someone or even a group, most people don't want to stand there while someone takes a load of photos, just to be able to change it after. You are better off telling the person or people to just look at the camera.

Taking video is good, but it's definitely still better on the iPhone. The Video Boost feature takes to long to process, a 10 minute clip taking over an hour to be sent to Google's serves and then back is just too long.

But the worse part about the Google Pixel 8 and the main reason I've decided to return it, is the battery life. Doing anything like taking pictures, recording video, phone calls, hot spotting, drains the hell out of the battery. I wake up at 5am with my phone at 100% and I have to charge it again around 4PM at the latest. By the time I go to bed (around 11pm-1am) I'm putting it back on charge again.
For comparison, my iPhone 15 Pro Max lasts me the same day with still 30%-40% left by the time I go to bed!

I'm going to be returning the Pixel 8 Pro in a couple of days, my return window closes on the 24th. In a weird way owning this phone has made me appreciate the Samsung S24 Ultra more in a number of different ways, including the battery life.
I too was not all that impressed with Pixel 8 Pro and settled initially on S23+ because it performed slightly better, had excellent cellular and wifi singal strength, better battery life and performance.

I also noticed a bit of lag on the Pixel occasionally and wasn't a fan of the camera lens bar either. So even at $325 discount, I still returned it.

I got an even better deal on the S23+, so when the S24+ was announced I pre-ordered and traded in the S23+ for $650. The upgrade was worth it imo.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
It's all good happy that you gave it a good run and gave it some comparisons to the other phones.. That's what is the best thing about Android having choices and sometimes you gravitate towards the other like the samsung phones.. and of course the iPhone is the solid device..

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
It's all good happy that you gave it a good run and gave it some comparisons to the other phones.. That's what is the best thing about Android having choices and sometimes you gravitate towards the other like the samsung phones.. and of course the iPhone is the solid device..
I'm surprised how much it's made me appreciate the Galaxy S23 and S24 Ultra, especially when it comes to customisation and battery life. The iPhone is a solid device, but that's not anything against Android, I really like the customisation and the so many options that Samsungs version offers.

I'm glad I gave the Pixel 8 Pro a chance, at least I have it for comparison with other phones and for future reference. It's all good :)

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I'm surprised how much it's made me appreciate the Galaxy S23 and S24 Ultra, especially when it comes to customisation and battery life. The iPhone is a solid device, but that's not anything against Android, I really like the customisation and the so many options that Samsungs version offers.

I'm glad I gave the Pixel 8 Pro a chance, at least I have it for comparison with other phones and for future reference. It's all good :)

You gave it the good old college try. I love the Pixel 8 Pro and stock Android itself, but even I'm shocked how much better the S24 Ultra is, and I'm no Samsung fan whatsoever, but it is top tier [H]ardware the best of any Android phone out. In every important category the S24U beats the P8P.

Even OneUI 6.1 I find better than Pixel's too minimal Android 14.

Last edited:

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.

Sorry it didn't work out. What are you going to do? Keep your iPhone or re-buy the S24U?

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
You gave it the good old college try. I love the Pixel 8 Pro and stock Android itself, but even I'm shocked how much better the S24 Ultra is, and I'm no Samsung fan whatsoever, but it is top tier [H]ardware the best of any Android phone out. In every important category the S24U beats the P8P.

Even OneUI 6.1 I find better than Pixel's too minimal Android 14.

What do you mean too minimal, that’s what I like about stock Android. On my OnePlus 6 running Android 11.1, it’s the minimal nature I appreciate.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021

I honestly understand your point of view a lot. I feel the same way but I still appreciate Googles take on a Smartphone. One thing you have to keep in mind for battery life is it takes two weeks for a month for adaptive battery to actually start working well. The battery on the P8P for me was excellent but the s24 Ultra is in another league altogether.

The s24 Ultra truly is the best smartphone you can get. I know that may be a controversial statement but I truly believe it.

This following article is part of the reason I like Samsung in general and over the years feel this way about their hardware. Samsung offers a ecosystem they could lock you in but they don't. They let their hardware and software and new features on new devices motivate you to buy and I much prefer that to lock in!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.