Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I honestly understand your point of view a lot. I feel the same way but I still appreciate Googles take on a Smartphone. One thing you have to keep in mind for battery life is it takes two weeks for a month for adaptive battery to actually start working well. The battery on the P8P for me was excellent but the s24 Ultra is in another league altogether.

The s24 Ultra truly is the best smartphone you can get. I know that may be a controversial statement but I truly believe it.

This following article is part of the reason I like Samsung in general and over the years feel this way about their hardware. Samsung offers a ecosystem they could lock you in but they don't. They let their hardware and software and new features on new devices motivate you to buy and I much prefer that to lock in!

I totally understand that, i wish the return window was longer in order to have the battery settle in. I think having had iPhones and Samsung's Ultra phone (the last couple of years i’ve tried them), i have been spoiled by battery life.

I think Samsung have come a long way, i can remember the S4 with Touchwix :oops: it was a mess software wise, however i have always admired Samsung’s design and the S-Pen has always been something I have liked and wish Apple would bring to the iPhone.

Samsung are also intriguing me with the Samsung Ring, I’m not going to lie I’m tempted to buy another S24 Ultra now that A few software updates have been released. Run it alongside my iPhone, at least then I’d be ready for when the Samsung Ring comes out later this year. Also i can claim it back on business expense as long as i do it before the Tax year ends here in the UK (which is next month).

It is a very interesting article, Apple has a lock in that most people don’t appreciate, i will admit that if it wasn’t for owning an Apple Watch (which i consider to be the best Smartwatch at the moment) along with other Apple products, i would switch completely over to Android.
Apple have this system (not sure if it’s completely intentional) where it’s VERY difficult to move things over to Android, files, pictures and so on (try sending a picture from an iPhone to an Android) WhatsApp make it better but it’s still not the best. It’s only in recent years that Apple have stated to allow customisation and seem to be opening up a little more.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
It is a very interesting article, Apple has a lock in that most people don’t appreciate, i will admit that if it wasn’t for owning an Apple Watch (which i consider to be the best Smartwatch at the moment) along with other Apple products, i would switch completely over to Android.
Apple have this system (not sure if it’s completely intentional) where it’s VERY difficult to move things over to Android, files, pictures and so on (try sending a picture from an iPhone to an Android) WhatsApp make it better but it’s still not the best. It’s only in recent years that Apple have stated to allow customisation and seem to be opening up a little more.

I’m curious why you would consider switching to android outside the watch?

Everything about android/google is inferior in my opinion. I’m genuinely curious.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I’m curious why you would consider switching to android outside the watch?

Everything about android/google is inferior in my opinion. I’m genuinely curious.
Because the S24 Ultra is currently the best smartphone out there. It’s not even debatable at this point, the S24 Ultra has so many features that the iPhone doesn’t.

For me I have an iPhone because of my Apple Watch. Android is not perfect, don’t get me wrong! App quality is an issue, but that’s not Samsung or Googles fault, it’s the app developers.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I totally understand that, i wish the return window was longer in order to have the battery settle in. I think having had iPhones and Samsung's Ultra phone (the last couple of years i’ve tried them), i have been spoiled by battery life.

I think Samsung have come a long way, i can remember the S4 with Touchwix :oops: it was a mess software wise, however i have always admired Samsung’s design and the S-Pen has always been something I have liked and wish Apple would bring to the iPhone.

Samsung are also intriguing me with the Samsung Ring, I’m not going to lie I’m tempted to buy another S24 Ultra now that A few software updates have been released. Run it alongside my iPhone, at least then I’d be ready for when the Samsung Ring comes out later this year. Also i can claim it back on business expense as long as i do it before the Tax year ends here in the UK (which is next month).

It is difficult to do anything with Android on purpose. Apple does this to lock you in. That alone is enough to give them the middle finger. It is why I decided to make the switch over to Windows completely.

I understand, if you are happy with Apple, believe me it is more trouble than it is worth to live half way in two worlds.

Hey, I like the s24 ultra and a lot of people do. But that doesn't mean YOU do. You have to decide what you prefer and why but I think the best thing to do if you are goingbto stay mostly Apple but like Android every so often is to buy the Samsung a55 coming up or Pixel 8a. Both inexpensive but nice Android phones you can keep to use every so often instead of you iPhone for a week and then back for a month or so on iPhone and back and forth at your convenience.

That way you stay in Apple where you are most comfortable but can have the Android experience any time you want.

Reactions: Dave245

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Because the S24 Ultra is currently the best smartphone out there. It’s not even debatable at this point, the S24 Ultra has so many features that the iPhone doesn’t.

For me I have an iPhone because of my Apple Watch. Android is not perfect, don’t get me wrong! App quality is an issue, but that’s not Samsung or Googles fault, it’s the app developers.
You don't have to justify your opinion. You have stated many times your feelings on iPhones and various Android devices. You have had an open mind and honestly given a different OS and device a try. I respect that a lot.

Both Android and iOS are great operating systems. Both iPhone and s24 ultra are great phones. It is more about personal preference.

BUT I will say I find it disappointing that iPhone Pro Max lacks Apple pencil support. I wish it had an anti reflective screen, and in my personal opinion the s24 ultra is so far the best phone of year regardless of OS. I also think Android is a more functional OS than iOS. But these are just my personal preferences. I don't think any high end flagship is a bad choice from Apple, Samsung or Google. There is no wrong choice!

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
See I’m definitely the opposite. That s24 is the best android around and that’s saying something for an otherwise Mid Os.

All the features in the world but if they feel half Baked, what is the purpose of having them? Just to be first? I applaud apple for taking the time to not just be first and it’s usually why apple is late but usually they do it better.

App quality is an issue, but that’s not Samsung or Googles fault, it’s the app developers.

But it is the fault of android/google. Developers prefer developing apps for iOS because it is easier. It’s why the quality of apps sucks compared to iOS

I’ll give a Prime example. My roommates girlfriend got a Samsung a14(2022 or 2023). I was helping her set it up and we were downloading apps and I was just cringing about the terrible experience.

To make matters worse, a restaurant app would not download because “it isn’t compatible” yet it never told us why.

Anyway she hated the camera and the operating system and he got her an iPhone instead and she’s happy.

Plus it’s easy to talk with her 😂 no green bubbles. That was a joke. Sort of.

You don't have to justify your opinion
I wasn’t asking for justification. I was asking an opinion and opening up discussion since that’s what a forum is for.

is difficult to do anything with Android on purpose. Apple does this to lock you in. That alone is enough to give them the middle finger. It is why I decided to make the switch over to Windows completely.
It’s difficult to do anything with android without tweaking this feature or turning this off. See comments in this post.

There is no lock in. Apple created a system that works perfectly together. As it should.

I can at anytime use android. Most of my apps are on there. I’m not locked into iPhone. I simply hate lag and android

Apple should not be responsible for making their products work with laggy android products because you want their hardware with androids haphazard way of operating.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
See I’m definitely the opposite. That s24 is the best android around and that’s saying something for an otherwise Mid Os.

All the features in the world but if they feel half Baked, what is the purpose of having them? Just to be first? I applaud apple for taking the time to not just be first and it’s usually why apple is late but usually they do it better.

But it is the fault of android/google. Developers prefer developing apps for iOS because it is easier. It’s why the quality of apps sucks compared to iOS

I’ll give a Prime example. My roommates girlfriend got a Samsung a14(2022 or 2023). I was helping her set it up and we were downloading apps and I was just cringing about the terrible experience.

To make matters worse, a restaurant app would not download because “it isn’t compatible” yet it never told us why.

Anyway she hated the camera and the operating system and he got her an iPhone instead and she’s happy.

I wasn’t asking for justification. I was asking an opinion and opening up discussion since that’s what a forum is for.

It’s difficult to do anything with android without tweaking this feature or turning this off. See comments in this post.

There is no lock in. Apple created a system that works perfectly together. As it should.

I can at anytime use android. Most of my apps are on there. I’m not locked into iPhone. I simply hate lag and android

Apple should not be responsible for making their products work with laggy android products because you want their hardware with androids haphazard way of operating.
Your lack of understanding is either purposeful or just plain not understanding what all you are saying.

If there is no lock in why is the DOJ doing an investigation into iPhone lock in????? I am obviously not the only one with this concern.

The green bubbles are a prime example of lock in!! Your example with your girlfriend is also not using an S series phone but a lower a series which is hard to get a decent experience with and not typical of flagship Android phones. It is in others words not a good example.

The Apple ecosystem works as it should with other Apple devices and nothing else.

There is more LAG on iPhone 15 Pro Max than s24 Ultra so I don't know what you are talking about. You have said lagdroid many times which is a derogatory statement against android which confers your point of view. Statement's against iPhone or Apple I have conversely never used. I am not biased but you seem to be by your comments which is all I can go on.

Apple should be required to make basic functionality work across platforms-period. There is no reasonable justification other than your slander about lagdroid.

My comment about justification of trying a different OS wasn't directed at you.

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013

One UI is actually really good, you can customise it as much as you want too. GoodLock is a great app for the next level of customisation.

Half baked? the S-Pen isn’t half baked, it’s great and for a long time I’ve hoped Apple would make a Note competitor (Now Ultra model) with a smaller Apple Pencil. It’s not like they can’t, what really gets on my nerves is that they are probably not doing it because they want us to buy iPad’s with Apple Pencil.

C’mon you can’t honestly say there is no lock in, even the most die hard of Apple fans are saying how difficult it is to leave the Apple ecosystem. I can’t use my Apple Watch with an S24 Ultra, texting from an iPhone to an Android is not a good experience when wanting to send pictures and media files. It’s a good job that most of us here in the UK use WhatsApp.

Android is not laggy, have you used One UI? 6.1 is VERY smooth. Opening apps is as fast as on the iPhone, in fact i was using my iPhone yesterday and twitter was a little laggy, that’s on an iPhone. Granted certain apps are of better quality on iPhone, but that’s when it comes to looks and not always functionality.
I have a feeling you are comparing One UI Android back to the days of TouchWiz, that was laggy and just terrible, but it’s not like that anymore not in the slightest.

In my opinion Android has caught up to Apple, for the last few years Apple have not done much with IOS at all. Siri is still useless, the OS looks the same and only now are they starting to add customisation that Samsung phone’s have had for many many years.
Don’t get my wrong i love my iPhone, but is it because I’m locked in and the products just work with each other. The iPhone 15 Pro Max for example, it has a great camera and the battery life is great too, however IOS is stale and Samsung has a better camera when it comes to zoom quality.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Half baked? the S-Pen isn’t half baked, it’s great and for a long time I’ve hoped Apple would make a Note competitor (Now Ultra model) with a smaller Apple Pencil. It’s not like they can’t, what really gets on my nerves is that they are probably not doing it because they want us to buy iPad’s with Apple Pencil.
The s pen on my ultra is terrible. From the general usability of removing it and reinserting.

Apple pen is better for writing. It’s a wash for drawing but I greatly prefer drawing with apple than anything on android.

C’mon you can’t honestly say there is no lock in, even the most die hard of Apple fans are saying how difficult it is to leave the Apple ecosystem. I can’t use my Apple Watch with an S24 Ultra, texting from an iPhone to an Android is not a good experience when wanting to send pictures and media files. It’s a good job that most of us here in the UK use WhatsApp
There is no lock in. Aside from iMessage, anytime I switch to lagdroid I pretty much have the same access to my apps and stuff.

As far as Apple Watch goes that doesn’t bother me as I’d likely buy a lagdroid smartwatch.

I buy into ecosystems not trying to dabble.

the issue is that google and android ecosystems are terrible.

1. Apple Music is way better than YouTube music. I only use YouTube because of podcast.

2. Pages/etc is better than Google doc. I Also have office.

3. AirPods are better than most. I use my AirPods with my galaxy.

4. iCloud is still accessible on android but I also use one drive.

5. I use bing on android and iOS.

6. I only use safari primarily but I have edge as well which is cross platform.

7. 98 percent of my apps are on both android and iPhone.

The only thing is Apple Watch but I would simply buy a lagdroid watch because it’s the same software instead of complaining that another company doesn’t make compatible.
have a feeling you are comparing One UI Android back to the days of TouchWiz, that was laggy and just terrible, but it’s not like that anymore not in the slightest.

This is a tired android argument. I gave a s22 ultra and flip 4.
In my opinion Android has caught up to Apple, for the last few years Apple have not done much with IOS at all.
Android has improved yes but the google ecosystem is terrible, the apps are low quality and android is still a mess.

It’s putting lipstick on the ugliest pig ever.
Siri is still useless,
Siri is irrelevant. Just like bixby. Google assistant. Cortana.

I barely use Alexa
the OS looks the same and only now are they starting to add customisation that Samsung phone’s have had for many many years.
It’s an UI with icons. Not much to redesign and no need for a radical change.

Unlike android users? iPhone users don’t need or want to change everything 24:7
Don’t get my wrong i love my iPhone, but is it because I’m locked in and the products just work with each other. The iPhone 15 Pro Max for example, it has a great camera and the battery life is great too, however IOS is stale and Samsung has a better camera when it comes to zoom quality

Samsung takes good pictures but my iPhone is king with my photos and videos.

I don’t experience lag on my pm. Even my old iPhone 11 is faster than many current android.

Oh and since I’m forced to use usb c that’s another reason I am not locked in.

I still refuse to use usb c on my iPhone so I solely only use wireless charging.

• Wow
Reactions: Technerd108

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Apple should be required to make basic functionality work across platforms-period
Apple has. They did the basic functionality with sms but android fans want iMessage.

You’re getting RCS and you still want iMessage
Your example with your girlfriend is also not using an S series phone but a lower a series which is hard to get a decent experience with and not typical of flagship Android phones. It is in others words not a good example.

If I don’t want spend 300 or more on a phone I should not have to.

An iPhone 12 and iPhone SE 2022 are still being sold. Heck I think the iPhone 11 is too. These users are not having to sacrifice much to get a good experience.

I worked mobile for years and the fact is people shouldn’t have to be careful what android they buy simply because android OEMs release terrible products and your excuse is «oh it’s not a a series”
there is no lock in why is the DOJ doing an investigation into iPhone lock in????? I am obviously not the only one with this concer
You mean the same DOJ who Blames apple for the fire phone and htc failure and the demise of Windows phone.

The same doj who falsely accused apple of why lg failed?

The same doj who trief to justify beeper mini from accessing apple servers unauthorized to get apple iMessage 😂

Ok then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Apple has. They did the basic functionality with sms but android fans want iMessage.

You’re getting RCS and you still want iMessage

If I don’t want spend 300 or more on a phone I should not have to.

An iPhone 12 and iPhone SE 2022 are still being sold. Heck I think the iPhone 11 is too. These users are not having to sacrifice much to get a good experience.

I worked mobile for years and the fact is people shouldn’t have to be careful what android they buy simply because android OEMs release terrible products and your excuse is «oh it’s not a a series”

You mean the same DOJ who Blames apple for the fire phone and htc failure and the demise of Windows phone.

The same doj who falsely accused apple of why lg failed?

The same doj who trief to justify beeper mini from accessing apple servers unauthorized to get apple iMessage 😂

Ok then.
No we want basic RCS compatibility. iMessage on Android would be nice but no one expects that.

The a14 wasn't $300 and if it was you paid about double what you should have. Just because someone is ignorant on buying a Pixel 7a or upcoming 8a or a54 as starting point for Android I am sorry. Sometimes you buy a cheap device and get a cheap experience. What do you expect? You are comparing premium phones. I can also get an s22 ultra for cheap which I consider a lot better than iphone 11 or 12. Same with Pixel 7 Pro. Heck you can get a Pixel 8 for $400 on sale or open box and you will get a good experience like an iPhone but better for less.

People have to have some level of knowledge before they buy anything. Caveat Emptor. Applies to everything.

Just because the Doj makes mistakes doesn't mean the case has no merit.

But this will be my last response to you in respect to the thread. The Pixel 8/Pro.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
No we want basic RCS compatibility. iMessage on Android would be nice but no one expects that.

The a14 wasn't $300 and if it was you paid about double what you should have. Just because someone is ignorant on buying a Pixel 7a or upcoming 8a or a54 as starting point for Android I am sorry. Sometimes you buy a cheap device and get a cheap experience. What do you expect? You are comparing premium phones. I can also get an s22 ultra for cheap which I consider a lot better than iphone 11 or 12. Same with Pixel 7 Pro. Heck you can get a Pixel 8 for $400 on sale or open box and you will get a good experience like an iPhone but better for less.

People have to have some level of knowledge before they buy anything. Caveat Emptor. Applies to everything.

Just because the Doj makes mistakes doesn't mean the case has no merit.

But this will be my last response to you in respect to the thread. The Pixel 8/Pro.

Thank you for proving my point that android is a poor OS that requires paying more to be tolerable because it is otherwise a terrible OS

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
@jamezr sorry didn't see your reply boss since it's been deleted ...but hope all is well ..and moving on my friend ..PM me if anything

Reactions: jamezr

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I might try the Android 15 beta, doesn't the first downloadable version release this month, that can be installed over the air like a monthly update?

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Anyone use Nova Launcher on the Pixel 8 series? Is it as smooth and fluid as stock?

Reason I ask, I tried Lawnchair14 recently, and it did not feel as smooth, was a little janky. Was wondering if Nova was smooth?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Anyone use Nova Launcher on the Pixel 8 series? Is it as smooth and fluid as stock?

Reason I ask, I tried Lawnchair14 recently, and it did not feel as smooth, was a little janky. Was wondering if Nova was smooth?
It’s smooth but not as smooth as pixel UI. Gestures is where it isn’t that fast and swiping back to home page

Reactions: Tig Bitties

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
Has anyone got a pixel watch 2? Is it wrth it for £199? I got emailed a £150 off discount. I currently use a Garmin venu 2 plus, and I got fitbit subscription through my google one membership

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.