Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I was able to use dosdude1's ROMTool and DXEInject, as well as OpenCore's EnableGop.ffs file to get past the GPU Firmware block.

This is not correct. There is no firmware block whatsoever, just that NVIDIA GPUs released after RTX 20x0 require UEFI 2.3.1 HII support that MacPro5,1 EFI 1.10 is simply too ancient to have.

EnableGop does not provide HII support, is just a shim to adapt Apple GOP support to the GPU UEFI GOP.

You could have found a RTX 4xxx GPU that does not require HII or have a failsafe implemented to work with older PCs that still does not have HII and kudos for you for your discover, but telling that you magically solved the HII requirement with just EnableGop is incorrect.

At least you are not telling the whole story here.

Supermimmo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
Hi, everyone, @ZXRyuu it was kind to advice me these treads to set up with OpenCore, ROMTool & DXEInject of dosdude1 only for Windows for will show the RTX 3080TI on my Mac Pro 5.1 mid 2010.

I need to use this mac pro 5.1 only with Windows so:

Currently I've both GPU's installed so the RTX with right power and the Ati Radeon original just to see the the boot screen and macOs High Sierra 138.000.000 firmware not flashed in 140.000.000 yet, I've only use OpenCore from USB, installed NvidiaWebDriver and Cuda but at the boot it will going in loop when connect power on RTX 3080TI.

So, what I can to do at this point?
There is a clean step by step to follow and someone can follow me for will make it work?

I leave here the last message of him

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi, everyone, @ZXRyuu it was kind to advice me these treads to set up with OpenCore, ROMTool & DXEInject of dosdude1 only for Windows for will show the RTX 3080TI on my Mac Pro 5.1 mid 2010.

I need to use this mac pro 5.1 only with Windows so:

Currently I've both GPU's installed so the RTX with right power and the Ati Radeon original just to see the the boot screen and macOs High Sierra 138.000.000 firmware not flashed in 140.000.000 yet, I've only use OpenCore from USB, installed NvidiaWebDriver and Cuda but at the boot it will going in loop when connect power on RTX 3080TI.

So, what I can to do at this point?
There is a clean steps to follow and someone can follow for make it work?

I've already explained the issue to you previously. Your GPU requires HII support and nothing that you add to the EFI or to the OpenCore ESP or config.plist will make it work. The MacPro firmware fails at POST with a boot loop.

HII is a basic firmware requirement. If you GPU requires it and will not have a fallback, the Mac Pro will not power on correctly, failing at POST.

Btw, NVIDIA webdriver only provide support for GPUs up to Pascal (GTX 1000 series, excluding GTX 1650 and others that are Turing). Nothing will make a Ampere GPU work with Mac Pro.

Supermimmo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
Ti ho già spiegato il problema in precedenza. La tua GPU richiede il supporto HII e nulla di ciò che aggiungi a EFI o OpenCore ESP o config.plist lo farà funzionare. Il firmware MacPro fallisce durante il POST con un ciclo di avvio.

HII è un requisito firmware di base. Se la tua GPU lo richiede e non disporrai di un fallback, il Mac Pro non si accenderà correttamente, fallendo durante il POST.

A proposito, il webdriver NVIDIA fornisce supporto solo per GPU fino a Pascal (serie GTX 1000, esclusa GTX 1650 e altre Turing). Niente farà funzionare una GPU Ampere con Mac Pro.

Ok @tsialex thanks for your reply, but how did the user who replied under your post solve it?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Ok @tsialex thanks for your reply, but how did the user who replied under your post solve it?

Read this:

Let's say that this is real and the RTX4060 that user found have a UEFI 2.3.1 HII fall-back implemented inside the GPU firmware, this will help you nothing, since your RTX3080Ti firmware does not have it.

Supermimmo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
Read this:

Let's say that this is real and the RTX4060 that user found have a UEFI 2.3.1 HII fall-back implemented inside the GPU firmware, this will help you nothing, since your RTX3080Ti firmware does not have it.

Ok got it, thanks also for your support, but do you think there are RTXs can't have a HII?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Ok got it, thanks also for your support, but do you think there are RTXs can't have a HII?

I don't doubt that some GPU manufacturer implemented a fall-back, but all RTX 3xxx and 4xxx that I've tested and other people tested over the years does not complete POST with a MacPro5,1.

If is real, is good news and maybe we can learn what the manufacturer did inside the GPU firmware and implement a patch to be flashed to other GPUs, but I wouldn't expect this anytime soon since the demand is negligible and no one will invest man hours/money on that - no macOS support, AVX2 requirement is becoming common place and etc/etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Supermimmo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
I don't doubt that some GPU manufacturer implemented a fall-back, but all RTX 3xxx and 4xxx that I've tested and other people tested over the years does not complete POST with a MacPro5,1.

If is real, is good news and maybe we can learn what the manufacturer did inside the GPU firmware and implement a patch to be flashed to other GPUs, but I wouldn't expect this anytime soon since the demand is negligible and no one will invest man hours/money on that - no macOS support, AVX2 requirement is becoming common place and etc/etc.

Mods, please move this discussion to the correct thread, since is completely off-topic here:

Ok and can't we try something to mod this functions on my RTX? or do you think it's literally impossible to modify to get it going? I understand it will take some time but it can be a great turning pointor do you think is

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Ok and can't we try something to mod this functions on my RTX? or do you think it's literally impossible to modify to get it going? I understand it will take some time but it can be a great turning pointor do you think is

Being honest here, this will take a lot of developer hours de-compiling the firmware to find what was needed for the GPU to work with EFI 1.10 and a lot more for developing a patch. If you have a GPU that requires HII and the GPU is Windows only, forget it.

There are lot's of other things that developers time could be better used, like finding a solution for DRM after Monterey or implementing NAVI support for Ventura/Sonoma. Simply, there are lot's of things that will help loads of MacPro5,1 users, while this will help just a handful.

I personally have zero interest in using a GPU that is Windows only with a MacPro5,1.

Supermimmo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
Ad essere onesti, ci vorranno molte ore da parte degli sviluppatori per decompilare il firmware per trovare ciò che era necessario affinché la GPU funzionasse con EFI 1.10 e molto altro ancora per lo sviluppo di una patch. Se hai una GPU che richiede HII e la GPU è solo Windows, dimenticalo.

Personalmente non ho alcun interesse nell'utilizzare una GPU Windows solo con un MacPro5,1. Ci sono molte altre cose che il tempo degli sviluppatori potrebbe essere meglio utilizzato, come trovare una soluzione per DRM dopo Monterey o implementare il supporto NAVI per Ventura/Sonoma.

For me it's ok also for test with MacOs system like you means Monterey etc.. if I under your steps trying to make it work on mac by doing this we will try to make Windows and OSX read the card and pass the boot, let me know I remain available

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
For me it's ok also for test with MacOs system like you means Monterey etc.. if I under your steps trying to make it work on mac by doing this we will try to make Windows and OSX read the card and pass the boot, let me know I remain available

Do you know that the last NVIDIA GPU that works with macOS is GTX 1080/1080Ti back with High Sierra and there is no newer NVIDIA GPU that can be make to work with macOS?

I'm trying to understand your rationale thinking that you/we are gonna make a RTX 20xx/30xx/40xx to work with macOS!? Sorry, but if you are thinking that this is even possible without GPU drivers, this discussion is now firmly in the fantasy land. OpenCore/OCLP root patching will not help you there, since there are no compatible drivers that can be modified/injected/etc.

Be reasonable here, if NVIDIA didn't make it work, why do you think that users/developers will since GPU drivers are closed source and to implement GPU support with macOS, Apple have to authorize/provide help/sign the drivers.

Last edited:

Supermimmo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
Ok @tsialex got it I cleared all my doubts, so at this point you can tell me if AMD RX7900XTX can be read without boot or other problems in this MacPro?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Ok @tsialex got it I cleared all my doubts, so at this point you can tell me if AMD RX7900XTX can be read without boot or other problems in this MacPro?

Not a supported GPU with macOS, no drivers, requires HII, no patches developed, too big to fit inside a MacPro5,1 - most won't even fit a 2019 Mac Pro that is a lot bigger length wise inside than a MacPro5,1.

The most recent AMD GPU that can be firmware patched to work with a MacPro5,1 is RX 6xxx. If you need all PCIe slots you can go up to RX 6800 models that are 2-slots wide, like Dell/Alienware. Most 6800XT/6900XT won't fit physically inside the MacPro5,1, the GPU length will require removal and relocation of the PCIe fan cage and the GPU will block slot-2, too wide.

Do your homework and search for cards that people successfully installed to a MacPro5,1.

Supermimmo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
Not a supported GPU with macOS, no drivers, requires HII, no patches developed, too big to fit inside a MacPro5,1 - most won't even fit a 2019 Mac Pro that is a lot bigger length wise inside than a MacPro5,1.

The most recent AMD GPU that can be firmware patched to work with a MacPro5,1 is RX 6xxx. If you need all PCIe slots you can go up to RX 6800 models that are 2-slots wide, like Dell/Alienware. Most 6800XT/6900XT won't fit physically inside the MacPro5,1, the GPU length will require removal and relocation of the PCIe fan cage and the GPU will block slot-2, too wide.

Do your homework and search for cards that people successfully installed to a MacPro5,1.

I just see the dimension of 7900XTX is ok for mac pro 5.1 without physic mod

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I just see the dimension of 7900XTX is ok for mac pro 5.1 without physic mod

Most RX 7900XTX cards are around 344mm, Mac Pro from the PCIe bracket to to the PCIe Fan cage are 320mm exactly.

Even if you found one, how you gonna make everything else to work? o_O

Supermimmo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
Most RX 7900XTX cards are around 344mm, Mac Pro from the PCIe bracket to to the PCIe Fan cage are 320mm exactly.

Even if you found one, how you gonna make everything else to work? o_O

Yes I know it's just to say dimensions, but at this point or come back with 1080ti like my old configuration or build a new pc

ZXRyuu

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
Sorry I'm late to all of the new responses; had a busy day. Also, sorry for posting my findings in the wrong section at first, still learning the landscape.

Regardless, I wanted to start by restating that this card only works on Windows 11 at this point, not macOS. There's probably no way that this card will work on macOS because there are no current Web Drivers and the ones that exist are too old (3XX where as the current PC Drivers are 551 or something close to it).

I'm going to go down the line to try to answer the questions that have come up.

@startergo DXEInject is a command line tool from dosdude1 that allows injecting the GOP ffs file from OpenCore into the Firmware.bin file that gets dumped from dosdude1's ROMTool.

@tsialex I honestly had no clue about what you mentioned about HII (I'm not that deep into this yet). I wasn't claiming that I solved that problem; I just claimed to have found a guide and a function that got the 5,1 to POST with a 4XXX Graphics Card, that's it. Is there a way that I can find out if HII is required for this card, or if I'm using a Fail Safe/Fall Back Mode? I'd like to confirm, if I can.

@Supermimmo I didn't realize that HII was a thing and that certain Graphic Cards had it, which prevents it from working at all. Gonna try to get more info on this specific card to see what we can learn.

Supermimmo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
Sorry I'm late to all of the new responses; had a busy day. Also, sorry for posting my findings in the wrong section at first, still learning the landscape.

Regardless, I wanted to start by restating that this card only works on Windows 11 at this point, not macOS. There's probably no way that this card will work on macOS because there are no current Web Drivers and the ones that exist are too old (3XX where as the current PC Drivers are 551 or something close to it).

I'm going to go down the line to try to answer the questions that have come up.

@startergo DXEInject is a command line tool from dosdude1 that allows injecting the GOP ffs file from OpenCore into the Firmware.bin file that gets dumped from dosdude1's ROMTool.

@tsialex I honestly had no clue about what you mentioned about HII (I'm not that deep into this yet). I wasn't claiming that I solved that problem; I just claimed to have found a guide and a function that got the 5,1 to POST with a 4XXX Graphics Card, that's it. Is there a way that I can find out if HII is required for this card, or if I'm using a Fail Safe/Fall Back Mode? I'd like to confirm, if I can.

@Supermimmo I didn't realize that HII was a thing and that certain Graphic Cards had it, which prevents it from working at all. Gonna try to get more info on this specific card to see what we can learn.

@ZXRyuu ok for me we can test your procedure I reply you under your last message in the other thread

Reactions: ZXRyuu

ZXRyuu

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
Another research question I have is, do we have a list anywhere that lists which graphics cards require DirectGOPEnable from OpenCore? It was mentioned on a guide, but I couldn't find the source material to look over. I'm part of the OpenCore Discord, I will ask there as well.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
DXEInject is a command line tool from dosdude1 that allows injecting the GOP ffs file
There was no reason mentioning it separately like you did something else with it you are confusing everybody. It was enough to say you injected the GOP.

ZXRyuu

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
Wasn't trying to confuse. The guide I used made it a separate item that needed to be downloaded and run, so I mentioned it separately as well. I'm trying to be more concise with my posts, especially given the nature of this particular find.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Wasn't trying to confuse. The guide I used made it a separate item that needed to be downloaded and run, so I mentioned it separately as well. I'm trying to be more concise with my posts, especially given the nature of this particular find.

I should be a lot more careful with your posts, you are incorrectly leading people giving hope for something that we all know that does not work. Adding EnableGop to the Mac Pro firmware does not provide HII support or make it boot sucessfully. Making anything anywhere with OpenCore won't make the Mac Pro magically complete POST with a RX 3080Ti.

ZXRyuu

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
I never claimed that doing this method enabled support for the 3XXX graphics cards (I simply wondered if it could work and I don't have the equipment to test it, myself). However, from what you are saying, there is no possible way that this method could work on any 3XXX from any vendor because of HII (I'm sure you and many others have looked into this issue and through that research arrived at this conclusion). I have a working result with one 4060 Ti graphics card and I'm really just looking for additional information as to why it works and whether or not these findings could, in some way, affect the 3XXX series as well. One other person offered to try this method on their 3XXX graphics card because they wanted to. But again, from what you've mentioned, they're not going to get any result, it's going to fail. But by me even having this conversation at all about the 3XXX series I'm getting up the hopes of everyone in MacRumors? I think I'm seriously missing something that I should probably know. I know that there's a lot that I don't know when it comes to this particular issue and that, thus far, there has been no reason to suspect that any fix would work for the 3XXX series, because it probably would have been found by now. I would like your or someone else's help, if anyone is willing, to point me in the right direction to find out what mode my graphics card is running in (a Safe Mode/Fail Safe Mode) to get more information on why this particular 4060 Ti does work.

I would like to know, are you expecting me to not talk about the 3XXX at all because it's been thoroughly tested and nothing is going get it to work based on other findings? I guess I'm just trying to find out what your expectations are when it comes to this so that I don't keep stirring up trouble. I'm here to learn and share what I learn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.