Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Is this the only 2 slots card? I'm using all the pci and would like to continue 😉

AFAIK, Alienware one is the only AMD Radeon RX 6800 air cooled that was made to fit the 2-slots wide standard. Some people here have this card.

Reactions: pierrox

twotone

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2024
Hi folks,

Is there a GPU that will work for both Snow Leopard AND Monterey/Ventura/Sonoma? I appreciate I'm trying to bridge compatibility over 15+ years of releases here, so if that's not possible, what is the latest OS and GPU that would be compatible?

Planning a dual boot on an upgraded 4,1 (5,1) and want 10.6.8 for older hardware/rosetta support of PowerPC Apps AND a newer OS for more 'modern' stuff!

Thanks

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Is there a GPU that will work for both Snow Leopard AND Monterey/Ventura/Sonoma?

Simple answer, no.

There is no GPU that is compatible with Snow Leopard and is METAL compatible. There is no Snow Leopard GPU that is capable of running modern macOS releases acceptably.

Long answer, you can use a modern GPU with Snow Leopard via EnableGop injection, the display will work. It will be un-accelerated, but for Snow Leopard is acceptable for most workflows. Lots of people run RX 580 with Snow Leopard this way.

twotone

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2024
Simple answer, no.

There is no GPU that is compatible with Snow Leopard and is METAL compatible. There is no Snow Leopard GPU that is capable of running modern macOS releases acceptably.

Long answer, you can use a modern GPU with Snow Leopard via EnableGop injection, the display will work. It will be un-accelerated, but for Snow Leopard is acceptable for most workflows. Lots of people run RX 580 with Snow Leopard this way.
Thanks, the second option sounds like it would be doable - it's literally to run a film scanner. Is this done via OCLP?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks, the second option sounds like it would be doable - it's literally to run a film scanner. Is this done via OCLP?

Nope, OCLP is not even compatible with macOS releases earlier than BigSur.

This is the reference thread for EnableGop, if is something that you are not comfortable doing it yourself, my BootROM reconstruction service also send an additional reconstructed BootROM image with EnableGop already injected, ready to flash.

Even if you use OCLP, with EnableGop injected to the BootROM you can bypass OCLP completely via the Apple native BootPicker and boot 10.6.8 directly.

twotone

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2024
Nope, OCLP is not even compatible with macOS releases earlier than BigSur.

This is the reference thread for EnableGop, if is something that you are not comfortable doing it yourself, my BootROM reconstruction service also send an additional reconstructed BootROM image with EnableGop already injected, ready to flash.

Even if you use OCLP, with EnableGop injected to the BootROM you can bypass OCLP completely via the Apple native BootPicker and boot 10.6.8 directly.
Thanks - apologies, got my wires crossed.

I might just run two GPUs (controlling input via my monitor), one for Snow Leopard and a newer GPU for e.g. Monterey!

twotone

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2024
This works up to High Sierra, since then Apple removed support for dual dissimilar GPUs and you have inexplicable crashes. Avoid.
Argh, thank you for the info. I'll probably do the the enablegop route when it comes to it.

Thanks

Raphaël10

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2024
Does the Radeon RX 570 Sapphire Nitro works on Mac Pro 2009 flashed 5,1 ? And others cheap GPU able to run MacOS Sonoma ?

Last edited:

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Stockphoto RX 580 8GB - 11265-05

240CF630-02AE-469A-8945-01CF5F0F7E26.jpeg

Offered RX 580 8GB on Ebay as 11265-05

SAPPHIRE Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Card GPU​

3BCEF47E-EC8E-4A5B-A4EA-2F50B18DFEB6.png

8520E9D0-7164-4EA7-9EA7-7CA354547E29.png

Received: 11265-05-20G

334AAB66-9A45-4970-A31B-BD1BD6B557CD_1_102_o.jpeg

I assume this one needs to be returned, what am I seeing beneath the fan? This unit seems to have a BIOS switch for Gaming/Compute.

Tratkazir_the_1st

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2020
Russia, Moscow region
@m4v3r1ck
"wool for felt boots" :)

Direct me pls in wright thread... Which nVdia WebDriver is best for SnowLeo? Got several different GeForces (630, 730, 980Ti, native Apple GT120). Several years ago there was some script which could download driver pack which suited best, but I've lost track of it. Same question about Mojave, if such thing (nVidia WebDriver) exists. BTW, is it possible to use WebDriver for HighSierra in Mojave?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
@m4v3r1ck
"wool for felt boots" :)

Direct me pls in wright thread... Which nVdia WebDriver is best for SnowLeo? Got several different GeForces (630, 730, 980Ti, native Apple GT120).

Only GT120 works with Snow Leopard.

Several years ago there was some script which could download driver pack which suited best, but I've lost track of it.

Same question about Mojave, if such thing (nVidia WebDriver) exists.

No.

BTW, is it possible to use WebDriver for HighSierra in Mojave?

No.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Seems you're in the right. Humid salty corrosive air and a cat lover. Returned it today.

Did you took photos of the GPU backplate? The tamperproof seals over the screws are intact?

I'm surprised that the heatsink is so badly corroded and the PCB is still in a very good shape, judging only from the photos that you uploaded.

Seems very weird, maybe this heatsink is from another GPU.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Did you took photos of the GPU backplate? The tamperproof seals over the screws are intact?

I'm surprised that the heatsink is so badly corroded and the PCB is still in a very good shape, judging only from the photos that you uploaded.

Seems very weird, maybe this heatsink is from another GPU.

Yes, there were 2 screws with stickers.

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 23.22.24.png

source: ebay seller

Never knew/realised those were seals, so didn't pay further attention to them and took the fan-enclosure off to look behind the fins. Can't one not just peal the stickers/seals off and open the screws and put them back after tinkering/replacing the heatsink? There is indeed something weird going on.

I asked the seller some questions about his/her QC before sending this item to me. These are just ignored fully...

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Yes, there were 2 screws with stickers.

View attachment 2367114
source: ebay seller

Never knew/realised those were seals, so didn't pay further attention to them and took the fan-enclosure off to look behind the fins. Can't one not just peal the stickers/seals off and open the screws and put them back after tinkering/replacing the heatsink? There is indeed something weird going on.

I asked the seller some questions about his/her QC before sending this item to me. These are just ignored fully...

The stickers are tamper-proof and can't be peeled off easily without damages, it's probably not impossible to peel the stickers off without visible signs, but extremely unlikely.

This is the same GPU? Seems brand new.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
The stickers are tamper-proof and can't be peeled off easily without damages, it's probably not impossible to peel the stickers off without visible signs, but extremely unlikely.

This is the same GPU? Seems brand new.

Thanks for your insights en elaboration in my case. Much appreciated.

This is one of the photos of the GPU that were used in the item description/photos. I got fooled by these photos, as indeed it looks in mint condition.

Highly probable scenario:
1. buy a mint condition RX 580;
2. take all photos you need;
3. put them with your description and fool to trap the buyer with them;
4. ship any junk RX 580 you like;
5. collect your money from buyer;
6. say cheers and have a drink and a laugh with your friends on buyer's expenses;
/r

The seller never answered any question about the failed QC, so adding up to my already huge frustration. But for them, it seems business as usual. Just another walk in the park. Gosh, how I hate these scams.

a. posted a Buyer Beware review.
b. pinged eBay customer service about my return and the reason, adding 10 photos of the received item.

friendofthai

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2023
Please update the guide.

6.2. For MacPro 3.1: Nvidia Geforce GTX 680.
Note: that cMP doesn’t support SSE4.2 which is used in AMD/ATI modern GPU drivers.

This is outdated. OCLP comes with MUSE installed already - so modern cards run smoothly and cMP 3.1 owners can buy the Apple recommended MSI RX 560 4GB which does not require additional power.

friendofthai

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2023
8. ATI Radeon RX 550 4 GB
Performance: 44% RPI. Supports Metal 2 (Mojave).Power consumption: from PCIE slot only. It's the coolest card with Mojave support - 50W only.Outs: DL-DVI, DP, HDMI.Compatibility: DirectX 12.0, OpenGL 4.6, Metal 2.Other: occupies 2 slots, no Boot Screen. There are much models with different frequencies. Also note 2GB version is different with users reporting not compatible out of the box. Be sure you are purchasing a 4GB model!Unflashed (PC version): works out of the box.

Please remove "works out of the box!" This is misleading! There are 2 kind of RX550 cards. The one that works out of the box (baffin core) is extremely rare and its price is the same as the apple recommended MSI RX560 4GB that does not need additional power and REALLY always works out of the box on my cMP 3.1. The most common RX 550 card has Lexa core which need additional hacking to work with cMP - replacing device-id with OpenCore configurator works for me.

Reactions: Raphaël10
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.