Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England

Hay guys, I'm a n00b, how to I get an avatar?

To be entitled to use an avatar you must have >500 posts. To see how many posts you have, find a thread you have made a post in and click on your username, then select "View Public Profile" from the drop down.

http://upc.*************/uploads/forums/mr_view_profile.jpg

Your post count can be seen here:

http://upc.*************/uploads/forums/mr_profile.jpg

Hay hommies, I've been around a while now and have >500 posts
spam.gif
, how do I set my avatar?

Go in to your "UserCP" by clicking on the link in the navigation menu.

http://upc.*************/uploads/forums/mr_usercp_link.jpg

Select "Edit Avatar" from the menu on the left. Now you can either enter the URL to an image you want to use, or click "Choose file" to locate the image you want stored on your computer for upload.

Teh 'tar rulz n00b!
Avatars must be 75x75 pixels or less, and can be up to 19.5KB 29.3KB in size. See announcement of increased size.

http://upc.*************/uploads/forums/mr_upload_tar.jpg

Either enter the URL or choose the file, then just hit "Save Changes" to upload your new avatar to your profile.

I just reached 500 posts (OMG, Yay!), but I still can't set my avatar, what gives home boys?

If you have just reached 500 posts and are having trouble uploading a 'tar, try logging out an logging back in again. If that doesn't work try to give it a few hours. If after that you still have problems PM one of the mods or ask for help in the feedback forum.

Profile Pictures

I want an avatar dammit, but it's gonna be ages until I have 500 posts!

Well, so far as avatars go that's just too bad :p
....but, all is not lost! You can have a "Profile Picture" no matter how many posts you have. This image will be seen when people look at your profile.

http://upc.*************/uploads/forums/mr_profile_picture.jpg

To add your profile picture go to the "UserCP", and select "Edit Profile Picture" from the left hand menu. Procedure to add this is exactly the same as for an avatar. You can either enter a URL to get the image from, or browse you computer for the image to upload. Profile Pictures can be up to 150x150 pixels, and up to 97.7KB.

http://upc.*************/uploads/forums/mr_edit_profile_pic.jpg

All done! w00t!!! :p

Side note: The picture in my profile picture is not me, so don't ask n00b! :p

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Chaszmyr said:
If they didn't read the other FAQ, what makes you think they'll read this? :rolleyes:
I can't imagine they will, but at least the only response those threads asking this question will need is a link to this thread.

I'd go so far as to say copy/paste this in to your reply to those threads :D
PHP:
[url=https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/90468/][img]http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/macros/faq.gif[/img][/url]
Resulting in this :D :p

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Abstract said:
Why? Its just like the other FAQ, but much sweeter. :p
The other FAQ only says that you need 500 posts. When I've told people to read the damn FAQ before posting in the past, some smart a$$ has always popped up to say the FAQ doesn't explain how to add one. Now there's no excuse ;) :D

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
This clear and detailed FAQ regarding the avatar is all very well, but I've been trawling the forums and Apple affiliated sites for over three years now, and nowhere, and I mean nowhere can I find any guidance as to how to use my one button mouse, without after five minutes of attempts it ending up in the Ralph-Wiggumesque situation of hanging out my mouth. Fortunately when this happens a neigbour is often disturbed by the loud choking noises coming from my ward and is able to contact the nurse on duty. The nurse doesn't know how to get an avatar either, so she'll be grateful of this FAQ. Thank you.

That said, I've not seen any threads than normal recently that ask about 'tars, to have invoked such grade-A top-drawer gold-standard patronising. Perhaps Mr edesignuk is in a bit of a grumpy mood. ;)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Savage Henry said:
This clear and detailed FAQ regarding the avatar is all very well, but I've been trawling the forums and Apple affiliated sites for over three years now, and nowhere, and I mean nowhere can I find any guidance as to how to use my one button mouse, without after five minutes of attempts it ending up in the Ralph-Wiggumesque situation of hanging out my mouth. Fortunately when this happens a neigbour is often disturbed by the loud choking noises coming from my ward and is able to contact the nurse on duty. The nurse doesn't know how to get an avatar either, so she'll be grateful of this FAQ. Thank you.
Look, personally I don't think figuring out how to add a 'tar, and when you can add one is rocket science. But for some people it is. This thread should be able to answer all their avatar/profile pic questions in one place. Why do you think I'm taking the pi$$? I'm trying to help. It seems it is you that is mocking me, rather than me mocking our new members :rolleyes:
That said, I've not seen any threads than normal recently that ask about 'tars, to have invoked such grade-A top-drawer gold-standard patronising. Perhaps Mr edesignuk is in a bit of a grumpy mood. ;)
They're there, believe me. One was just locked this morning, which is actually what prompted me to do this.
So I'm being "patronising" by writing this up in detail? Well excuse me! Why do you think I am in a grumpy mood for writing this up? It's a common question. And this is an idiot proof guide to the answer. That's all.

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
Savage Henry said:

Patronising - not really. For those who don't know it's useful, for those who do, why are you reading it or taking the time to try and post an unwitty reply? Some of the aleged humour in the posts on this site is just so very unfunny.

I think edesignuk may be a little bored, but I don't see why he is grumpy? Some people really need to get out more though rather than spend hours working out how to be funny - and failing.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Great Work edesignuk!

If I ever need someone to write an instructin manual I know who to call.

I Think if you wrote some more of the FAQs for this site (serious ones) it would really help alot of people.

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
edesignuk said:
So I'm being "patronising" by writing this up in detail? Well excuse me! Why do you think I am in a grumpy mood for writing this up? It's a common question. And this is an idiot proof guide to the answer. That's all.

The 'patrionising' and 'grumpy' pitches were taken because I just don't think you should let it bother you. The 'tar question is really no big deal and it just surpised me that you spent a lot of effort to answer this, when you probably know deep down that any n00b wanting to know the answer will always find it easier to post a new thread than use the search menu or UCP.

But it is definately a good step by step and those n00b with the intellectual depth to use the search tool will get a lot out of it.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Savage Henry said:
The 'patrionising' and 'grumpy' pitches were taken because I just don't think you should let it bother you.
It doesn't really bother me, though it might seem like it does sometimes :eek:
The 'tar question is really no big deal and it just surpised me that you spent a lot of effort to answer this
Honestly it took 10 minutes, a few screen caps, and a little text.
when you probably know deep down that any n00b wanting to know the answer will always find it easier to post a new thread than use the search menu or UCP.
I know they'll never read it, but now all anyone has to do when the question comes up is give the link to this thread.
But it is definately a good step by step and those n00b with the intellectual depth to use the search tool will get a lot out of it.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
wow. :eek: was there really that much need for a 'tar 'how-to' guide? don't people get it yet? :confused:

well, i'm sure teh n00bs will like this, a very clear explaination of it all.

also for teh n00bs, a link. some others here might have seen it already, but it's so good i'm posting this every chance i get. :D

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Savage Henry said:
I've been trawling the forums and Apple affiliated sites for over three years now, and nowhere, and I mean nowhere can I find any guidance as to how to use my one button mouse

Here's a nice, short, simple answer: Get A Real Mouse :p

makisushi said:
Isn't it spelled "avitor"?

No.

cb911 said:
also for teh n00bs, a link. some others here might have seen it already, but it's so good i'm posting this every chance i get. :D

Wow, that was brilliant! :D

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
Nice FAQ edesign.

I like the fact that you made it with a patronising tone.

BTW, i am glad to see that you are listing your real occupation under your profile now. Its about time you stopped pretending to be an IT guy. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.