Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Platform said:
Not totally sure if this is the place to post it

But I have seen so many nice animated/changing avatar's
How can you creat one that has let say 3 pic's in it to change like every sec :confused:

Those pics are gifs. Just get a gif creator and create your own.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Well, whatever others may say, this FAQ actually answered my question before I made a thread about it (I searched! Yay! Take that, n00bs!)

<-- A brand new macrumors 6502! :D

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
what?

Attachments

• tar.gif
    tar.gif
    27.2 KB · Views: 987

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Good detail on this thread!

I should do something like this on the forums i run (not the same software).

I will remember to look this thread up in 5 years when I reachh over 500 posts :eek:

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
edesignuk said:
Well, it looks like they're not gonna sticky it (REALLY GLAD I BOTHERED, THANKS), so just keep this link bookmarked folks, ready to post at a moments notice next time someone starts asking questions about avatars :rolleyes: :D

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/90468/

I'm pretty sure you'd beat us to it, I'm still certain you've had a modem installed in your head so you can be the fastest poster in the west!

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I just wish that the avatar filesize could be a little bigger. It can't be that much of a burden to raise the limit to 50kb.

Hickman

Melkor

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Excellent instructions. I remember trying to figure out how to get an avatar on another forum about a year ago and no one had explaied it properly.

This is crystal clear. Good stuff.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Yea go the 'tar. Only 270 off posts still I can get one wooo-wooo. And at my current rate of around 1 post per day it will only take 270 odd days, wooo-wooo!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
amacgenius said:
How long do you usually have to wait before PMing somebody, I reached 500 posts about a half hour ago.

Log out. Log on.

If that fails, wait for a few more hours... an avatar is surely not that important. :confused:

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
amacgenius said:
How long do you usually have to wait before PMing somebody, I reached 500 posts about a half hour ago.
me said:
If you have just reached 500 posts and are having trouble uploading a 'tar, try logging out an logging back in again. If that doesn't work try to give it a few hours.
;)

toezter

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2004
Madison, WI
since i skimmed the thread quickly, i might have skipped it.

why do you have to have 500 posts? seems kinda...worthless.

jmufellow

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2005
toezter said:
since i skimmed the thread quickly, i might have skipped it.

why do you have to have 500 posts? seems kinda...worthless.
Because they want the long-term users to be able to be noticed with some sort of visual. If they let just any newbie have one, it would be harder to tell who's really "serious" on the forums and who's just a passer-by. I, obviously am not there yet, and may never be:eek:

OR, you could just get an awesome sig

toezter

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2004
Madison, WI
Counterfit said:
Well, maybe you should read the entire thing then, and not expect us to spoon-feed you.

you should also, its not there. if you found it, good job.

500 posts just to get recognized? thats ridiculous. granted that i've never come up to a forum with this 'process' (only ones where donators may have an avatar i understand), seems like not-so-friendly way to attract 'newcomers'.

"you must have a hierarchy to have an avatar here!"

whatever. this rant adds onto my useless goal to 500 posts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.