Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
cb911 said:
also for teh n00bs, a link. some others here might have seen it already, but it's so good i'm posting this every chance i get. :D

that is so friggin awesome....

I'd love to rework that for MacRumors, there are plenty long time members who would do well to see that and heed it :D

D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Diatribe said:
Geez, I was just making a reference to Vector's tar and just trying to be funny... don't be offended, didn't want to "spoil" your thread. :p :D
I'm not offended in the slightest, and you didn't spoil the thread. I just didn't see the relevance in this thread to your comment, that's all :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
A few people have reported that they couldn't set an avatar after they reached 500 posts, only to say "never mind - now it works" shortly afterward. Is it necessary to log out and log back into the forums before trying to set an avatar for the first time? If so, this ought to be in this GUIDE. If nobody knows for sure, maybe it should be mentioned as a troubleshooting step in case the procedure doesn't work the first time.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Doctor Q said:
A few people have reported that they couldn't set an avatar after they reached 500 posts, only to say "never mind - now it works" shortly afterward. Is it necessary to log out and log back into the forums before trying to set an avatar for the first time? If so, this ought to be in this GUIDE. If nobody knows for sure, maybe it should be mentioned as a troubleshooting step in case the procedure doesn't work the first time.

It seems to me more like it might be some kind of system lag, like a file being updated or something. My memory is that I tried logging out and back in, and that wasn't enough, but that I was able to add my avatar after an hour or two.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
mkrishnan said:
It seems to me more like it might be some kind of system lag, like a file being updated or something. My memory is that I tried logging out and back in, and that wasn't enough, but that I was able to add my avatar after an hour or two.
Then I suggest that that advice (i.e., wait a few hours and try again) be added as a troubleshooting tip until/unless we know better.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Doctor Q said:
Then I suggest that that advice (i.e., wait a few hours and try again) be added as a troubleshooting tip until/unless we know better.

I reached 500 posts about a week ago, I couldn't add it before the next day.
(I tried to log in and out, no luck)
It takes some time to get the avatar, so I guess a few hours extra won't make much difference.. :rolleyes:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
cluthz said:
I reached 500 posts about a week ago, I couldn't add it before the next day.
(I tried to log in and out, no luck)
It takes some time to get the avatar, so I guess a few hours extra won't make much difference.. :rolleyes:

Yeah, patience seems to be the dominant curative. We could just put into the faq:

Q: OMG, I'VE BEEN A N00B 4 10 MNTHS NOW, AND I FINALLY MADE 500 POSTS. I PWNED MACRUMORS NOW111! Y CAN'T I GET AN AVATAR?

A: Wait a day, try again. Use the time in between to TURN OFF YOUR @#$@ CAPS LOCK KEY, and sign up for many, many free iPod offers. Because they're all true. And if that doesn't work, PM me. I promise to Paypal you $0.25 so you can call someone who really cares.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Doctor Q said:
Then again, there is some of us (well at least one of us) with well over 500 posts who have no idea what to use for an avatar.

...I am hoping to become enlighted around 800! :D

Sushi

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
sushi said:
Then again, there is some of us (well at least one of us) with well over 500 posts who have no idea what to use for an avatar.

...I am hoping to become enlighted around 800! :D

Sushi

We could start a find Sushi a 'tar thread! :D

My nomination:

sushi.jpg

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
mkrishnan said:
I promise to Paypal you $0.25 so you can call someone who really cares.

"If I gave you a penny for that thought, then I overpaid."
--eAbuse, the best donationware program for Palm

:)

Oh and my avatar came around because it comes in handy for a thread like, "MAC vs. Windows and my Windows won!!! Stupid Mac users!!!!"

Just read the 'tar...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
mkrishnan said:
*sighs* yes, so many beautiful women, so little time.... ;)
For those of us that are not so creative (me!) it's an easy theme to follow and there is an endless source pics of anyone all over the net :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
edesignuk said:
For those of us that are not so creative (me!) it's an easy theme to follow and there is an endless source pics of anyone all over the net :)

I'm not really certain that you qualify for the non-creative list...then again, I grew up in Detroit, where people somehow simultaneously receive welfare payments and drive big Benzes with 23" rims.... :confused:

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Not totally sure if this is the place to post it

But I have seen so many nice animated/changing avatar's
How can you creat one that has let say 3 pic's in it to change like every sec :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.