Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbelcher98

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2014
It wasn't void of any hurdles or complications but what hack is. And I was remiss with my initial assertion of "perfection": never shall an OS X system work with Intel Wi-Fi (in this case Intel Wi-Fi Link 5100) but nothing that a few dollars and change "thumbnail" USB Wireless Adapter and it's compatible Ralink 10.9 Mavericks driver couldn't resolve. The biggest road block I faced was my own stubbornness in facing the fact that my E6400 just would not boot from an adjacent though separate FAT32 converted "EFI" partition and that the boot loader and Mavericks needed to reside simultaneously on the same partition. Once I came to terms with that reality and adjusted my blue print accordingly, the rest was fairly straightforward.

gpatpandp,

I've had no success trying to install Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks on my E6400. Would you mind detailing (step by step) how you were able to install Mavericks? Thanks in advance.

CamCroz99

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2014
Does anyone know what exact kext Hackerwayne used on his 4,1 MacBook? From the pictures of the first page it appears he has transparency. I can not seem to get this to work for me.

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
The only 64bit GMA kexts that exist are Snow Leopard 10.6.2's. Nothing else exists. With a little search, you'll find those kexts all over the place but they will be of little help to you as they do not provide full graphics acceleration under any 64bit kernel OS X version outside Snow Leopard and, even then, with a limitation regarding sleep/wake functionality (not working properly). Don't be fooled by pretty screenshot pictures and categoric statements sustained by no evidence at all other than the words of an elusive magician.

This whole saga of Mav/Yos on unsupported Macs is a bit of a con as HackerWayne has been promising the moon to gullible people for yonks when he simply cannot deliver - noone can. After about a year of silence on the matter, he recently started up his teasers once more which will unfortunately lead to nothing than renewed frustration again.

He's only just started to come clean, having finally announced that GMA chips would remain unsupported. At long last may I add!
Wayne Wong - 7 dec 2014
‏@Wayne_819
Upcoming versions of MacPostFactor will not have support for GMA 950 & X3100. Other cards like X1600 are still in beta.

https://twitter.com/Wayne_819/status/541578884500553728

As for the "other cards", you're entitled to laugh; what else would there be other than the X1600 (fitted to iMacs for instance) and for which you won't fail to notice that Wayne's claimed support remains "beta"? Older nVidia models like GeForce 7300GT will of course remain unsupported, just like GMA chips...

All in all, he may just manage to clean some of the bugs in 32bit MLPF but that's it. Don't expect anything else and absolutely nothing new for GMA-based systems. He's just an 18yr old kid with too much assertion in his own capabilities. He's trying to say that ML will now work "bug free" (maybe... :rolleyes:) and that MCF will support MacPro/iMac/XServe; basically, he's only just caught on with the work and solutions long provided by others such as Tiamo & co. As a famous prophet once said: "give back to Caesar what is Caesar's"...

Catching on the work initiated by MLForAll (Kelian), what he did with Kelian for ML was great, but Wayne got his ankles swollen to a ridiculous extent. While Kelian was quietly trying to get things working and finally more or less called it a day, Wayne chose to persist with his own MCPF/MCF teasing. This is now turning into a farce and some people are starting to get upset and annoyed with him. Never mind, he will grow up in his own timing...

Last edited:

Obibob

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2014
l,estartit spain
success

Hi every one this is my first post
just took delivery of my mac pro 1.1 from ebay seller said it was running Yosemite it was not complained to the seller and got a partial refund great
set about upgrading to yosemity then got stuck at lion
after searching hear found different options to try after trying and trying but no success with mountain lion i finally tried mavericks suing 64 32 system gess wot it worked
thanks to every one ho helped me by posting on this site

gosciak

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
Can't download SFOTT V1.4.4

I'm trying to get my MacPro 1,1 up and running Mavericks and am having trouble getting started.

For the last 3 days I have been trying to download SFOTT_install.dmg V1.4.4 and have failed to accomplish this. All browsers on all machines I have access to seem to stall during the connect to web site phase.

Does anyone know why this is happening or how I can get around this issue?

Does anyone know of a mirror site as an alternate to the author's http://www.oemden.com site?

bobdamnit

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2014
I'm trying to get my MacPro 1,1 up and running Mavericks and am having trouble getting started.

For the last 3 days I have been trying to download SFOTT_install.dmg V1.4.4 and have failed to accomplish this. All browsers on all machines I have access to seem to stall during the connect to web site phase.

Does anyone know why this is happening or how I can get around this issue?

Does anyone know of a mirror site as an alternate to the author's http://www.oemden.com site?

Here ya go!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4fv8dikd2bmep7i/sfott_install_1_4_4.dmg.zip?dl=0

jaxparo

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2013
The only 64bit GMA kexts that exist are Snow Leopard 10.6.2's. Nothing else exists.

I don't know? I downloaded these 64-bit x3100 kexts from here:
http://w306254.blob1.ge.tt/streams/...77vaTW_B7RlDWUqJxt-Ux7SGqOw5QXA&type=download

On my Dell Inspiron 1525 w/x3100 running Yosemite 10.10.1 I appear to have full graphics acceleration. I've checked several ways: I've looked at all the screensaver such as Lotsawater & Flurry, they're fine. I've used Launchpad with the Option key to jiggle all the little icons. I've played Chess with the 3d rotation in voice command. All works fine. Acceleration seems intact.

When I start, in the verbose dialog I see the driver.x3100 kext panic, and list a couple other kexts like IOPCI in the dependencies of the short panic text, but after the boot completes, with I run Terminal kextstat I see that both the x3100 driver & framebuffer are loaded correctly, and my acceleration test good in everything I can thing of, other than Flash Player. When Adobe Flash Player 16.0.0.235 or 16.0.0.240 has an embedded frame within a Safari Facebook window, the playback of the video is sometimes slightly wrong, sometimes black w/audio, sometimes white w/audio, sometimes normal. When black or white, the overlays are correct, including ads. If I uncheck the box "Use Graphics Acceleration" in the Flash Player settings only then do the embedded windows play correctly.

Without these x3100 kexts my graphics were showing as x3100 4MB instead of x3100 144MB.

AFAIK I believe I have full 64-bit Yosemite x3100 acceleration. I used Yosemite Zone installer on an AMD Desktop PC, upgraded to 10.10.1 without issues, and then cloned that system onto the Inspiron 1525 SSD, changing the kernel, the SMBIOS, DSDT, etc. to the correct ones for the Intel Inspiron instead of the AMD desktop. Right now, I believe I have 100% functionality with the exception of iMessages sign-in, and a little bit finicky ALPS trackpad. I have 100% sound, 98% video, no crashing apps. I thought this Inspiron 1525 was DONE at 10.8.5 using kexts modified by SFOTT running 32-bit, I NEVER expected to run 64-bit Yosemite on this old laptop, but so far it's cruising fine... thanks to the kexts from the above download.

cast

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2014
I'm trying to install mavericks on an early 2008 black macbook, I have managed to successfully install the OS onto a partition on my ssd but I can't seem to get the boot.efi file to work. When I replace the original and then boot the partition it gives me the apple logo and the spinning wheel but then just defaults back to the other partition running the older OS and doesn't allow me to start the set up of mavericks.

Anyone have any idea of what I am doing wrong, I have used both sfott and the manual method to patch the iosinstall.mpkg, platformsupport.plist and installablemachines.plist. The only thing I can see that is wrong is that when I download the tiamo boot.efi my mac recognises it as an executable file where as the original is recognised as just a document, could this be the issue? If so how would I change that?

Thanks in advance

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
[...]
AFAIK I believe I have full 64-bit Yosemite x3100 acceleration.
[...]
Don't confuse FrameBuffer support with full graphics acceleration. One way to know for sure is to run DVD Player and click on Help then Show Supported Features, knowing that, without graphics acceleration, DVD Player usually crashes at launch.

Attachments

• DVD-Player_supported-features.jpg
    DVD-Player_supported-features.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 2,556
Last edited:

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
I don't know? I downloaded these 64-bit x3100 kexts from here:
http://w306254.blob1.ge.tt/streams/...77vaTW_B7RlDWUqJxt-Ux7SGqOw5QXA&type=download

On my Dell Inspiron 1525 w/x3100 running Yosemite 10.10.1 I appear to have full graphics acceleration. I've checked several ways: I've looked at all the screensaver such as Lotsawater & Flurry, they're fine. I've used Launchpad with the Option key to jiggle all the little icons. I've played Chess with the 3d rotation in voice command. All works fine. Acceleration seems intact.

When I start, in the verbose dialog I see the driver.x3100 kext panic, and list a couple other kexts like IOPCI in the dependencies of the short panic text, but after the boot completes, with I run Terminal kextstat I see that both the x3100 driver & framebuffer are loaded correctly, and my acceleration test good in everything I can thing of, other than Flash Player. When Adobe Flash Player 16.0.0.235 or 16.0.0.240 has an embedded frame within a Safari Facebook window, the playback of the video is sometimes slightly wrong, sometimes black w/audio, sometimes white w/audio, sometimes normal. When black or white, the overlays are correct, including ads. If I uncheck the box "Use Graphics Acceleration" in the Flash Player settings only then do the embedded windows play correctly.

Without these x3100 kexts my graphics were showing as x3100 4MB instead of x3100 144MB.

AFAIK I believe I have full 64-bit Yosemite x3100 acceleration. I used Yosemite Zone installer on an AMD Desktop PC, upgraded to 10.10.1 without issues, and then cloned that system onto the Inspiron 1525 SSD, changing the kernel, the SMBIOS, DSDT, etc. to the correct ones for the Intel Inspiron instead of the AMD desktop. Right now, I believe I have 100% functionality with the exception of iMessages sign-in, and a little bit finicky ALPS trackpad. I have 100% sound, 98% video, no crashing apps. I thought this Inspiron 1525 was DONE at 10.8.5 using kexts modified by SFOTT running 32-bit, I NEVER expected to run 64-bit Yosemite on this old laptop, but so far it's cruising fine... thanks to the kexts from the above download.

could you provide some videos?

can you upload the dsdt file?

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
I put the installer drive together and when I try to reboot to it either by pressing Option key or from system preferences it simply returns me to my regular home screen. I have a Black Macbook 3,1 with 2.2ghz and 3gb of ram. Is it simply impossible to update to 10.9 ?

pauldays

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2015
Information, Suggestions and Help.

Good Afternoon and Happy New Year to all. Hope this upcoming year bring lots of good things to everybody who reads this. :)

I just finished reading through this thread. Impressive I must say. I wish I could get a new Macbook, but for now all i can do is with my tricked out late white Macbook 2006 (GMA950) + [4GB RAM/SSD Drive running 10.7.5]

Briefly, i hate Lion, i...hate it. but.... Snow Leopard doesn't run the apps that I use. That being said, I Google Maverick on unsopported devices and ended up here.

So basically here's my question: What OS "should" I run, I got a sense that Mountain Lion is running well in my device, but i saw MLforALL twitter and it's seems to be done for my device. Also @atvusr and @michelasso seem to know or run some systems on similar devices to mine. I just browse the internet (Chrome) and videos (VLC) on my Macbook. Don't really use launchpad, and use itunes for basic music playback.

That being said. What OS do you recommend, and what method?

Thank you in advance anyone who can help me, I know I'm just one more out of dozens who asks basically the same thing.

Cheers,

Paul

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Good Afternoon and Happy New Year to all. Hope this upcoming year bring lots of good things to everybody who reads this. :)

I just finished reading through this thread. Impressive I must say. I wish I could get a new Macbook, but for now all i can do is with my tricked out late white Macbook 2006 (GMA950) + [4GB RAM/SSD Drive running 10.7.5]

Briefly, i hate Lion, i...hate it. but.... Snow Leopard doesn't run the apps that I use. That being said, I Google Maverick on unsopported devices and ended up here.

So basically here's my question: What OS "should" I run, I got a sense that Mountain Lion is running well in my device, but i saw MLforALL twitter and it's seems to be done for my device. Also @atvusr and @michelasso seem to know or run some systems on similar devices to mine. I just browse the internet (Chrome) and videos (VLC) on my Macbook. Don't really use launchpad, and use itunes for basic music playback.

That being said. What OS do you recommend, and what method?

Thank you in advance anyone who can help me, I know I'm just one more out of dozens who asks basically the same thing.

Cheers,

Paul

Hello Paul,

Well, you can try MacPostFactor which was made by Wayne Wong (@Wayne_819) and Kelian Dumerais (@MLforAll). It will easily install Mountain Lion (bug free) on your Macbook but I believe Legacy Macs (GMA950,X3100) will be limited to Mountain Lion 10.8.5 only not Mavericks or Yosemite.
If you want to try Mavericks or Yosemite, you can try the guides scattered in this thread or the instructions on our thread here. Me and @atvusr have guides on post 1 and 2.
I also heard oemden's SFOTT was pretty straightforward too.

Whatever works for you, we will assist :) .

pauldays

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2015
Hello Paul,

Well, you can try MacPostFactor which was made by Wayne Wong (@Wayne_819) and Kelian Dumerais (@MLforAll). It will easily install Mountain Lion (bug free) on your Macbook but I believe Legacy Macs (GMA950,X3100) will be limited to Mountain Lion 10.8.5 only not Mavericks or Yosemite.
If you want to try Mavericks or Yosemite, you can try the guides scattered in this thread or the instructions on our thread here. Me and @atvusr have guides on post 1 and 2.
I also heard oemden's SFOTT was pretty straightforward too.

Whatever works for you, we will assist :) .

@TMRJIJ Thanks alot TM, I will go ahead and do Mountain Lion. I already did a backup of my Macbook. I will let you know how it all goes. Thank you very much for your help and guidance. If you need help with Android stuff, then I'm here for ya ;)

Cheers!

Paul

Galaners

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2014
MacPostFactor Doesn't boot

First of all, sorry for my bad english.
I just downloaded Macpostfactor and I try to install Mountain Lion (10.8.5 app installer). I got a hard drive with 40 GB of free storage and when I run Macpostfactor the installation goes right, but when I try to boot from the hard drive it boots to my Macintosh HD, I can't boot the hard drive. Any suggest?

UPDATE:
I try Mavericks too (10.9.1 app installer) and I got the same result.

skwoodwiva

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2015
First of all, sorry for my bad english.
I just downloaded Macpostfactor and I try to install Mountain Lion (10.8.5 app installer). I got a hard drive with 40 GB of free storage and when I run Macpostfactor the installation goes right, but when I try to boot from the hard drive it boots to my Macintosh HD, I can't boot the hard drive. Any suggest?

UPDATE:
I try Mavericks too (10.9.1 app installer) and I got the same result.
Edit I did see your post about the same mac as mine!
This post was good https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20254492/
I did not use MPF but MLPF on my macbook 4,1 , gma x3100.
I cannot find any problems, on it for 2 days. Updated to 10.8.5. Seems that is as far as I can take this old core 2 duo. Be sure to put the install on a usb/chip drive. Also be quick about the 2nd use of MLPF as the installer will auto reboot you. The tutorial is not real clear about using it pre install & post install.

Last edited:

skwoodwiva

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2015
I'm trying to install mavericks on an early 2008 black macbook, I have managed to successfully install the OS onto a partition on my ssd but I can't seem to get the boot.efi file to work. When I replace the original and then boot the partition it gives me the apple logo and the spinning wheel but then just defaults back to the other partition running the older OS and doesn't allow me to start the set up of mavericks.

Anyone have any idea of what I am doing wrong, I have used both sfott and the manual method to patch the iosinstall.mpkg, platformsupport.plist and installablemachines.plist. The only thing I can see that is wrong is that when I download the tiamo boot.efi my mac recognises it as an executable file where as the original is recognised as just a document, could this be the issue? If so how would I change that?

Thanks in advance
Is your MB like mine? No 64 bit SW extension? 4,1 ? Then I think we are stuck on MLPF .3, are we not? There may be hope in the next MPF? But the current one has more issues on this old orphan.
I am searching for another path beyond ML.... Please someone set me right if there is a way to get a 64 bit kernel working on MB that never had it?

Last edited:

pauldays

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2015
Error 3, MacPostFactor

Hello all & @TMRJIJ,

I have tried to install Mountain Lion on my Macbook A1181, and each time I get error 3. I have tried contacting HackerWayne, but he must be flooded with requests.

The error regards that the device doesnt sport a 64-bit processor, which, we know is not so.

Anybody can point me to a troubleshooting?

Thanks

skwoodwiva

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2015
Hello all & @TMRJIJ,

I have tried to install Mountain Lion on my Macbook A1181, and each time I get error 3. I have tried contacting HackerWayne, but he must be flooded with requests.

The error regards that the device doesnt sport a 64-bit processor, which, we know is not so.

Anybody can point me to a troubleshooting?

Thanks

Works fine
Post all your steps but not here, use the ml thread. Edit that is if You (you should) use MLPF .3. You cannot run mavericks on a Macbook that never a 64 bit kernel enabled. If you want ML on a 1181 you need MLPF.

Last edited:

VictorVictor5

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2014
Greetings all. Posting on here to ask the latest on 10.9 for a specific system, but first shout-out to skwoodwiva and 10tacleboy on helping me with getting to 10.8.5. Works great and no issues.

So, the iMac I am working on - the person I'm doing this for (a relative) is asking what else can be done, and I'm like, well, let me defer to the experts on the boards. I thought 10.8.5 was the end of the line, but, as they say in Vegas, "Let it ride!"

It's an iMac early 2006 (4,1, but with the 5,1 flash), C2D, 4 GB RAM, and an x1600 card. Now here's where I get confused - and please correct me if I am wrong on any of this. Trying to learn here.

Doing some research on this post/guide, it seems that x1600 cards are supported with Mavericks, but then MacPostFactor support was pulled for them, temporarily (I think). What's the latest?

So, there's also mention of SFOTT and Chameleon with a Windows partition on the system? Any thoughts/success?

And others say install a new video card.

Now, I have opened up the iMac before to put the C2D in there, but I'm unsure if the video card is upgradeable to anything or if it's soldered, or if it's even worth it (I mean if it's like $50 maybe but $600 is a no-go).

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks all!
VV5

illuminerdi

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2015
Greetings all. Posting on here to ask the latest on 10.9 for a specific system, but first shout-out to skwoodwiva and 10tacleboy on helping me with getting to 10.8.5. Works great and no issues.

So, the iMac I am working on - the person I'm doing this for (a relative) is asking what else can be done, and I'm like, well, let me defer to the experts on the boards. I thought 10.8.5 was the end of the line, but, as they say in Vegas, "Let it ride!"

It's an iMac early 2006 (4,1, but with the 5,1 flash), C2D, 4 GB RAM, and an x1600 card. Now here's where I get confused - and please correct me if I am wrong on any of this. Trying to learn here.

Doing some research on this post/guide, it seems that x1600 cards are supported with Mavericks, but then MacPostFactor support was pulled for them, temporarily (I think). What's the latest?

So, there's also mention of SFOTT and Chameleon with a Windows partition on the system? Any thoughts/success?

And others say install a new video card.

Now, I have opened up the iMac before to put the C2D in there, but I'm unsure if the video card is upgradeable to anything or if it's soldered, or if it's even worth it (I mean if it's like $50 maybe but $600 is a no-go).

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks all!
VV5

I'm actually in the same boat - I want to put Mavericks or Yosemite on an early 2006 iMac but I don't want something that's completely crippled because the graphics card isn't properly usable.

As far as "upgrading" the graphics card on this model, you *can't*. The Radeon X1600 is soldered to the logic board, so it's not swappable.

So until someone figures out a way to make the X1600 work (fully) in Mavericks or Yosemite, we're just going to have to play the waiting game and live with ML.

VictorVictor5

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2014
Thanks for the shout-back. Pretty sure the GPU was soldered on there (just wanted to double check) - and I'm not the greatest at board level soldering so I'll shelve that idea.

Have you tried MacPF on your system just yet? Just curious.

Thanks!
VV5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.