Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illuminerdi

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2015
Thanks for the shout-back. Pretty sure the GPU was soldered on there (just wanted to double check) - and I'm not the greatest at board level soldering so I'll shelve that idea.

Have you tried MacPF on your system just yet? Just curious.

Thanks!
VV5

Even if you were handy with the soldering iron you probably couldn't replace it - you'd need a chip that was pin compatible, power compatible, and that operates similarly enough to the existing chip that the logic board would be able to "talk" to it without modification.

I haven't tried MPF yet - I'm probably going to use MLPF instead of MPF; as far as I can tell, MPF is still very buggy even when installing Mountain Lion whereas MLPF can be done stably (if not more time consuming). I just got the Mac the other day, so I have to wait for the C2D to arrive first, which won't be for a few weeks since it's coming from China. On the plus side, it was only $5...

VictorVictor5

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2014
That's true - forgot about the electrical connectivity and exact pinouts to see if a possible replacement would match.

Dumb question, but can you use MLPF with Mavericks? I was under the impression that you couldn't. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Since you're waiting on your chip to come from China, if you need me to test anything out on mine, let me know and I'll create a partition.

Thanks!
VV5

illuminerdi

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2015
That's true - forgot about the electrical connectivity and exact pinouts to see if a possible replacement would match.

Dumb question, but can you use MLPF with Mavericks? I was under the impression that you couldn't. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Since you're waiting on your chip to come from China, if you need me to test anything out on mine, let me know and I'll create a partition.

Thanks!
VV5

I don't think you can use MLPF with Mavericks, no. Currently, Mavericks and Yosemite both aren't working very well with these iMacs. Neither one has working OpenGL acceleration for the X1600, so many features are limited or not working, such as DVD playback, dock/window transparency, and other graphical effects.

As such, I'm not going to try Mavericks or Yosemite until if/when this gets fixed, hence why I'm going to go to ML even though ML is definitely not the greatest version of OS X; it's the last one (at present) that can be shoved onto this machine in a fully working state.

Say what you want about MS, but at least they don't make you work nearly as hard just to install Windows on an older computer...

I know this thing is 9 years old, but would it really kill Apple to have one of their engineers take a few minutes to compile a Radeon X1600 kext for 64 bit OSes? Even if there aren't any Macs that have an X1600 and are "certified" to run 10.9/10.10, just including the modules to let us tinkerers have our fun now and in the future would be really nice...

TheRealPorkchop

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
Whiteville, NC
I know there's ton of information throughout this site and on the internet but I'm looking for user input here…

On the 2006 Mac Pro, running Mavericks, is the Nvidia GTX 280 a good card? I was thinking of getting a pair and running them in SLI, nothing real graphics intense. I've been opting for the 660 or something in that area but I can get a pair of 280's at a great price right now, so I'm wondering if anyone else is running these and how they're working.

merlio

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2015
Spain
macbook4,1 not connecting to WIFI

Hi all! I managed to install mavericks on my macbook4,1 - I can't connect to the internet as when I try to log in to any wifi it says connection failed.

There are posts here about Atheros, but according to system profile I have:

Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x88)
Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.36.11)

Which kext should I install to make it work properly?

Thanks!

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
0x88 is Subsystem id presumably, not actual device id. Can you look at what's reported in Hardware->PCI instead of Wifi?

You realise you'll never get graphics acceleration, right?

merlio

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2015
Spain
0x88 is Subsystem id presumably, not actual device id. Can you look at what's reported in Hardware->PCI instead of Wifi?

Nothing appears under pci, but again under wifi I found this:

IO80211 Family: 4.1.2 (412.2) - it's one of the kexts I downloaded and it might be the wrong version for my macbook4,1... Supposedly an older version will work and can log into secured networks? Kext from lion, mountain lion might wok?

You realise you'll never get graphics acceleration, right?

Yes, but I think I could live without this... :) Perhaps migrating to ubuntu instead of newer versions of Os X would make more sense... Any way will give Mavericks a try... Although Lion wasn't bad at all for my level of usage.

Installed version IO80211 Family 3.1.4 (314.1.1), said to be belonging to Lion but same issue occurs...

Last edited:

merlio

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2015
Spain
Crash.log tells me:

06/03/15 15:27:24,194 airportd[64]: _processSystemPSKAssoc: No password for network <CWNetwork: 0x7fb049c45c50> [...] in the system keychain.

Suppose I need to add it to the Keychain??

srihari83

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2014
@Merlio & @RV-ABZ: Sorry to intrude.. I understand this query is a bit off-topic but since linux on macbook came up here, May I know if any of you have been able to install linux (ubuntu/debian based distros) with all 100% of the hardware working.. I've been trying it on my MB3.1 & I could everything to work wifi, video acceleration, lan card etc.. the only 2 problems
1. sound driver - only generic ones available, only one speaker works
2. touchpad - had to install driver manually from a *.c file downloaded from ubuntu repository.. user has to configuring the parameters & its a nightmare..
Only Synaptics touchpad drivers works on linux & it is a part of X11 system, the parameters to set are given here - http://www.x.org/archive/X11R7.6/doc/man/man4/synaptics.4.xhtml
So my question is, would you know if there is a command to display these/similar hardware parameters of the apple touch pad in an OS X installation??

OniLink99999

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2015
First off, a massive thank you to everyone who's contributed to this thread - it has been an incredible help and I now have 10.9.4 running successfully on my late 2006 iMac. I need it to run Xcode 6, so you guys saved me from having to buy a new computer! :D

Unfortunately, I messed up at the very end and have damaged my original Lion OS. In short, while trying to get the Maverick OS partition to boot, I accidentally installed tobyg's Mac Pro Fix (found here: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18829695/) on my main Lion OS. This meant that after rebooting, it replaced the boot.efi files made by Apple with the Tiamo version (found here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1598176/). Now, Lion OS will not boot. I get a black and white screen with text for a few seconds, and then the Mac restarts - it never boots.

I've attached a picture of the error I'm encountering below. I actually got this picture from earlier in the thread, but no solution was offered - the user just reinstalled everything. While I do have most files backed up, I really don't want to wipe my Lion HD.

attachment.php

It seems to me that I should just have to restore the files that were changed by tobyg's program, and it should boot up again, but I don't know much about this sort of thing. I really need my Lion OS back for next week, so I would sincerely appreciate any suggestions!

Regardless, thanks a lot for reading!

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Unfortunately, I messed up at the very end and have damaged my original Lion OS. In short, while trying to get the Maverick OS partition to boot, I accidentally installed tobyg's Mac Pro Fix on my main Lion OS. This meant that after rebooting, it replaced the boot.efi files made by Apple with the Tiamo version. Now, Lion OS will not boot. I get a black and white screen with text for a few seconds, and then the Mac restarts - it never boots.

Even if the reply comes a little bit too late:

Download from Apple the 10.7.5 Combo Update, mount it and extract the Boot.efi with Pacifist from /usr/standalone/i386 . Then replace the Boot.efi in /System/Library/CoreServices/ as well as /usr/standalone/i386 on the Lion partition.

OniLink99999

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2015
Even if the reply comes a little bit too late:

Download from Apple the 10.7.5 Combo Update, mount it and extract the Boot.efi with Pacifist from /usr/standalone/i386 . Then replace the Boot.efi in /System/Library/CoreServices/ as well as /usr/standalone/i386 on the Lion partition.

Not at all, I sincerely appreciate the help (it turns out I didn't need it fixed that fast anyway - I could still access my old programs from the new partition)! Thank you very much for the solution - I'll give that a go =D

EDIT: Well I got the Boot.efi file out with no problem, and replaced the one under /usr/standalone/i386 on the Lion partition. But the one under /System/Library/CoreServices is locked - I can't replace or delete it, and can't find any way to unlock it. Again, thank you very much for your help, and if you know a way to solve this issue, I would appreciate it (hopefully if I can just replace that one file, the Lion partition will boot up again).

Last edited:

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
But the one under /System/Library/CoreServices is locked - I can't replace or delete it, and can't find any way to unlock it.

Via Terminal try either: sudo chflags nouchg /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi to unlock it or simply try to delete the Boot.efi with: sudo rm -rf /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi .

On the Lion partition in /Library/LaunchDaemons/ there's still the com.tiamo.macprofix.plist - maybe it's better to delete it.

Last edited:

OniLink99999

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2015
Via Terminal try either: chflags nouchg /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi to unlock it or simply try to delete the Boot.efi with: sudo rm -rf /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi .

On the Lion partition in /Library/LaunchDaemons/ there's still the com.tiamo.macprofix.plist - maybe it's better to delete it.

Thank you very much for your continued help! Unfortunately, when I tried the Terminal command it just tells me "Permission denied". I should say that I only tried the first command (the one to unlock it), not the second (to outright delete it), as I'm not sure how to specify the boot.efi file on the Lion partition (I assumed it would be 'Partition Name'/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi, but that didn't work).

And thanks for the suggestion. One of the first things I did when this problem occurred was delete the com.tiamo.macprofix.plist file, but if anyone else has this issue, it's an important thing to note.

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Unfortunately, when I tried the Terminal command it just tells me "Permission denied".

Since the Boot.efi is a System file, the command should be executed with 'sudo'. Maybe it's better to change into the /System/Library/CoreServices/ folder on the Lion partition first and then run sudo chflags nouchg boot.efi
 . You can replace the Boot.efi directly after the unlocking.

Last edited:

OniLink99999

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2015
Since the Boot.efi is a System file, the command should be executed with 'sudo'. Maybe it's better to change into the /System/Library/CoreServices/ folder on the Lion partition first and then run sudo chflags nouchg boot.efi
 . You can replace the Boot.efi directly after the unlocking.

Aha! Sudo does make it work. But the only thing I don't understand is how to direct it to the boot.efi file on my Lion partition. I unlocked the one on my Mavericks partition, so obviously I just need to change the path with some special syntax (as I said before 'Partition Name'/System/etc. didn't work) and it should all be good.

I didn't really understand what you meant about "change into the /System/Library/CoreServices/ folder on the Lion partition first". I opened the folder up and tried to use the command, but that didn't work (I'm sure I'm completely missing the point haha).

Your help is greatly appreciated =)

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
I didn't really understand what you meant about "change into the /System/Library/CoreServices/ folder on the Lion partition first".

You need to be familiar with the Unix command line. Use a search engine for a Beginner's Guide of the Unix shell commands (like cd, ls, pwd and so on). One path to the Boot.efi is /Volumes/*Lion*/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
 , where *Lion* is the name of your Lion partition. You can change there with cd '/Volumes/*Lion*/System/Library/CoreServices' (in ' ' because of possible spaces) or step-by-step with cd /Volumes , cd '*Lion*' and so on. Use ls -l and pwd to look in which folder you currently are. When you reached the working directory CoreServices and see the Boot.efi with ls -l, then you can unlock it with sudo chflags nouchg boot.efi and replace the file via Finder.

Last edited:

OniLink99999

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2015
One path to the Boot.efi is /Volumes/*Lion*/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
 , where *Lion* is the name of your Lion partition.

Thank you so much! That worked to unlock the file and allowed me to replace it with the new boot.efi. Unfortunately, the OS still won't boot (same error as far as I can tell), so Lion's still not working - guess the fix wasn't as simple as I thought. Perhaps Tiamo changes more than just the boot.efi...

Regardless, thank you very much for all your help - that's at least one part of the problem taken care of!

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Unfortunately, the OS still won't boot (same error as far as I can tell), so Lion's still not working - guess the fix wasn't as simple as I thought.

Pity. Dunno what the error could be. If you unpack the TiamoMacProFix.pkg there're only the Tiamo Boot.efi and the com.tiamo.macprofix.plist. The latter one replaces only the Apple Boot.efi by the Tiamo Boot.efi while loading OSX. If the com.tiamo.macprofix.plist has been removed from /Library/LaunchDaemons/ and the "new" Boot.efi are really those from Apple (1120944 bytes of size in /System/Library/CoreServices/ as well as /usr/standalone/i386) then something else went wrong. Maybe it helps to reset the PRAM.

OniLink99999

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2015
Pity. Dunno what the error could be. Maybe it helps to reset the PRAM.

Yes, it's very strange - as far as I can tell, everything is correct. But the booting issue only occurred when Tiamo was activated, so there must be some connection...

I tried resetting the PRAM but still no luck (when this first occurred, I thought that might be an easy fix haha).

OniLink99999

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2015
One more try: since the boot process uses several caches, maybe it helps to empty these caches. Try to delete the kernelcache file in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/ . What happens if you boot in Single-user Mode?

Okay, well I deleted the kernelcache file and restarted in Single-user Mode. I don't think it worked properly, though, as I just got a black screen with a single white underscore (_). No text appeared like it should, and I couldn't type anything.

On a normal boot up, though, things have gone a bit strange. If I just let the Mac try to boot up normally without touching anything, I get the Apple logo but nothing loads. So at first I thought this was a step forward, as I wasn't getting an error message anymore. However, if I hold the Option Key and select the Lion Partition, I get the same error message again. Perhaps the fact that it doesn't load anything on a normal boot up is part of the reason I get nothing from Single-user Mode? It's a shame you can't boot into Single-user Mode after holding Option and choosing a partition.

Also, for some reason, when I choose to Shut Down the computer via my Mavericks partition, it no longer shuts down - it just goes to a white screen and never turns off (I still have a mouse cursor and can control it).

Thanks for trying again, though - I really thought it was going to work for a minute there.

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
locked file

Not at all, I sincerely appreciate the help (it turns out I didn't need it fixed that fast anyway - I could still access my old programs from the new partition)! Thank you very much for the solution - I'll give that a go =D

EDIT: Well I got the Boot.efi file out with no problem, and replaced the one under /usr/standalone/i386 on the Lion partition. But the one under /System/Library/CoreServices is locked - I can't replace or delete it, and can't find any way to unlock it. Again, thank you very much for your help, and if you know a way to solve this issue, I would appreciate it (hopefully if I can just replace that one file, the Lion partition will boot up again).

Just d/l "Cocktail" and use it to delete your file. It's only a trial and will only do ten operations before quitting Thereplacement will require a password. P.S. I have Yosemite running well on a late 2006 iMac 5,1.

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
single user mode

Okay, well I deleted the kernelcache file and restarted in Single-user Mode. I don't think it worked properly, though, as I just got a black screen with a single white underscore (_). No text appeared like it should, and I couldn't type anything.

On a normal boot up, though, things have gone a bit strange. If I just let the Mac try to boot up normally without touching anything, I get the Apple logo but nothing loads. So at first I thought this was a step forward, as I wasn't getting an error message anymore. However, if I hold the Option Key and select the Lion Partition, I get the same error message again. Perhaps the fact that it doesn't load anything on a normal boot up is part of the reason I get nothing from Single-user Mode? It's a shame you can't boot into Single-user Mode after holding Option and choosing a partition.

Also, for some reason, when I choose to Shut Down the computer via my Mavericks partition, it no longer shuts down - it just goes to a white screen and never turns off (I still have a mouse cursor and can control it).

Thanks for trying again, though - I really thought it was going to work for a minute there.
I just booted into SU Mode after rebooting with the option key held down
and select a different boot drive. I had the Command and S keys held down at the same time. Good luck

mamini

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2015
Lancashire, UK
Mac Mini 2007 mavericks not sound

I have succesfully installed mavericks on my mac mini 2007 and updated with the SFOTT patch etc, pretty cool.
To make it perfect, I wondered if anyone knows of a fix for having no sound? or would a USB sound card work?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT - Hoorah!! Found a solution with the following All in One Audio Solution. Music plays in VLC and can adjust volume there too from vlc task bar. Although this has no real great volume, pretty quiet even with vlc max.

EDIT-EDIT- Kaboom! Just setup my Rollei X-9 bluetooth speakers and now the system is superb!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.