Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2018
Hello,
I'm putting this out there because I can find no useful information online. From my understanding, to run Mountain Lion on an unsupported Mac with 64-bit EFI, you need a patched boot.efi that supports booting the 64bit kernel (I know this is not required on Mavericks and newer). For an unsupported Mac with 32-bit EFI, you need a patched boot.efi as well, but a different one. I have tried using many different copies from multiple patchers with varying degrees of success. But there's one thing I haven't been able to find: Where the files come from. If anyone can track down two actual working files *and* where they come from (MacRumours post, GitHub repo, anything) I'd appreciate it. If you're a developer of some kind of patched boot.efi file, please contact me directly. Thank you.

Edit: Found out they were compiled from Piker Alpha's macosxbootloader repo on GitHub. Still having issues with them but I have located the source of them at least!

Last edited:

lll490

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2019
Hey everyone, I just seen this on the OS X Hackers website. Do you know if "NexPostFacto" is available to download ? I can't find on Google. It seems to work with old ATI card, just like the x1600. Thank you !

Screen.jpeg

mrusera

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2020
Sorry to bump this but can someone provide me a mavericks link that will work with sfott? want to bring a macbook4,1 to facetime or newer macos that will work better. Thank you.

starmax

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
Sorry to bump this but can someone provide me a mavericks link that will work with sfott? want to bring a macbook4,1 to facetime or newer macos that will work better. Thank you.
I ended up getting it from softpedia

I was able to get my Mac mini 2006 running mavericks, but still no GPU acceleration or sound. Tried adding GMA950 kext from Lion, but didn't do anything...

BlackOtton

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2022
Norway
Hey, I know this is a really old thread, however I recently installed NexPostFacto 10.9 on a late 2006 MacBook Pro with Radeon X1600.
Everything is working fine except one little thing. I cannot get automatic display brightness to work.
The option itself shows up in System Preferences, but doesn't do anything.
Monitor.png

I tried reseting SMC, but didn't change anything. It worked on NexPostFacto 10.8 fine.

Thanks in advance for any help, or at least I wanted to report this as a problem.

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
Hey, I know this is a really old thread, however I recently installed NexPostFacto 10.9 on a late 2006 MacBook Pro...
Speaking of NextPostFacto, while I can appreciate the time the author put into it, his text file accompanying it is incredibly obtuse from a layman perspective, and the layman will almost certainly fail after wasting unseemly hours. Here is the relevant portion of that text file:
Format an 8GB+ USB, or hard drive partition, as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Extract the zip and open Terminal. cd to the directory created
Run: ./oipatch.sh /path/to/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app /Volumes/USBOrPartitionNameHere
You MUST select Y to erase the partition or the script will not work!
IMPORTANT: This script does not work if run on an already created installer USB, or if your installer is very small and does not contain the full operating system. It only works on the full, multi-gigabyte installer app.
1. If you're not a coder, you won't know that "cd" stands for "change directory", and that you're going to have to drag-and-drop a mounted volume icon into Terminal to even have a prayer in hell.
2. Run: ./oipatch.sh" command fails every time with "No such file or directory", even when using drag-and-drop of the relevant apps and partitions into Terminal.

Why on earth is Mavericks, of all possible OS's, the bloody hardest thing on Earth to lay your hands on? Somebody please tell me that there's a better method of in-place patch/upgrading (*not* "clean"-installing) Snow/Lion/Mountain Lion installations on "blackback" and white imacs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.