Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stokey1

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2017
After a bit of trial and error I managed to upgrade a Macbook 2,1 from 10.6.8 to 10.9.5 Mavericks.

Had to purchase 10.7 from Apple and then purchased 10.9.5 online. MacPostFactor 2.0.1 and 2.0 did not work, but version 1 did.

So far very happy with the results.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Can anyone give me an idea of how Mavericks would work on my 2007 MacBook with a 2.16C2D as a daily driver? Mountain Lion is great, but Mavericks supports much more software. Is it really slow?

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Hi. Does anyone have either:
MacBookPro2,x
iMac5,1
Xserve1,1/2,1
(i.e. computers with X1300/X1600 GPU)

PM me! I need testers for a solution to FULL OPENGL SUPPORT on 10.8-10.11
You must already have the partial 10.7.5 kexts installed *including* ATIRadeonX1000*.bundle in /S/L/E

(yes, I know I've posted this in the other subforums)

Hi, I've got MacBookPro 2,1 2.33GHz version - I'd be definitely interested to test the OpenGL support!

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Is a late 2009 non-Pro much more expensive? Supported for Sierra and faster

have MBP from 2014 for latest flat crap OS, need backup only for Maverics related software (native, not in a Virtual machine)

thx for the effort anyway!

parrotgeek1

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2016
CA, USA
have MBP from 2014 for latest flat crap OS, need backup only for Maverics related software (native, not in a Virtual machine)

thx for the effort anyway!
You can boot Mavericks on that (MacBookPro11,x) because it shares that model identifier with the Late 2013 model. I've done it for iMovie 9.

Reactions: R2FX

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
I have spent about 40 hours working on OpenGL for 10.9 on X1600. It's not going to work. I give up. I think that some parts of QuartzCore now use OpenGL 3.x. HackerWayne said he got 10.9DP1 to work but never posted how, and then dropped off the face of the earth. My internet is too slow to upload what I have so far. What is happening is that it shows the mouse cursor and then something vaguely resembling the setup assistant, then crashes in

1 com.apple.QuartzCore 0x00007fff81782c3f CA::OGL::CGLContext::update_image(CA::OGL::CGLImage*, CA::Render::Image*, unsigned int) + 1251

cc @R2FX

Oh well...thx for your effort! Snow and Mountain cats will have to do

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2017
Hi guys.

Just a quick question. I came across osxhackers.net and I'd really like to install a newer version of Mac OS as I've a MacBook 4,1 running 10.7 Lion.

In your experience, which version should I go for? Meaning, with which version have the MacBooks 4,1 worked best? Or at least, have had the least issues with?

I wish I could go for Sierra but practically at this point I could use any newer version of Mac OS.

Thank you very much for your time.

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
The best you can hope for is hacked ML 10.8.5, whether with original MLPF or subsequent MPF. Beyond that, you will not have graphics acceleration (and never will) so performance will be poor to very poor and most probably not enjoyable at all. In addition, you'd also lose some basic functionalities like sleep/wake for instance.
Old_GPU_limitations.png
In any case, you would not be able to go beyond Yosemite 10.10 as El Capitan and later versions cannot be installed on your MacBook model.

Probably not worth the effort and hassle for such old and obsolete hardware when a more recent Mac model (even if 2nd hand) would be a far more sensible approach... I mean, one can purchase a MBP7,1 for under $200/200€ these days. Same for a MacBook5,1/MacBookPro5,x which will support Sierra and High Sierra with a little patch for direct installation. All GMA 950/X3100 systems have had it, that's it; they're 10 to 12yr old...

You may find the 1st post of these threads an interesting reading:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-12-sierra-unsupported-macs-thread.1977128/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-high-sierra-10-13-unsupported-macs-thread.2048478/

Last edited:
Reactions: johnsawyercjs

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2017
The best you can hope for is hacked ML 10.8.5, whether with original MLPF or subsequent MPF. Beyond that, you will not have graphics acceleration (and never will) so performance will be poor to very poor and most probably not enjoyable at all. In addition, you'd also lose some basic functionalities like sleep/wake for instance.
View attachment 744543
In any case, you would not be able to go beyond Yosemite 10.10 as El Capitan and later versions cannot be installed on your MacBook model.

Probably not worth the effort and hassle for such old and obsolete hardware when a more recent Mac model (even if 2nd hand) would be a far more sensible approach... I mean, one can purchase a MBP7,1 for under $200/200€ these days. Same for a MacBook5,1/MacBookPro5,x which will support Sierra and High Sierra with a little patch for direct installation. All GMA 950/X3100 systems have had it, that's it; they're 10 to 12yr old...

You may find the 1st post of these threads an interesting reading:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-12-sierra-unsupported-macs-thread.1977128/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-high-sierra-10-13-unsupported-macs-thread.2048478/

Thank you for all the insight. You were very helpful.

Is MBP7,1 fully supporting High Sierra legitimately (no hack no nothing)?

Also, does it really cost less than $200? Is that the usual price or is it more like a bargain?

Bunnybono

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2018
I have a backlight/display issue on my macbook (Early 2008 MacBook4,1 running mac os x 10.9.5)
where the backlight stays at full brightness and doesn't adjust. and when i put it to sleep the display won't turn on at all.

philippejaquet

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2018
Arg! And I'm back to non-working USB ports. Had to restart the Mini. Instead of starting normally, it went to the OS X Hackers recovery partition. Had to re-hack in order to get it to start properly. And now USB ports don't work.

Anyone have a clue as to how to get this resolved?

Hi JAitch. Your posts have great interest for le as I am running ML on a late 2006 Mac mini (updated with 7600 cpu, ssd and 2x4 ram) and just installed Mavericks using macpostfactor. Seems it works ok except for WiFi not working at all, same as you. No service in the network tab, no icon on top bar... WiFi works well on the ML partition. Did you ended with a way to get it back ? Big thanks if you can help. PhiL

johnsawyercjs

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2007
Is MBP7,1 fully supporting High Sierra legitimately (no hack no nothing)?

Yes, the Macbook7,1 (otherwise known as the MacBook Pro 13-Inch Mid 2010) does natively support High Sierra. The earliest version of MacOS that it runs is 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard), released March 2010, so it supports a pretty wide range of MacOS versions

Last edited:

johnsawyercjs

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2007

Yup. I really appreciate all the work that the OS X hackers have done to get later versions of MacOS to run on unsupported earlier Macs, and I've benefited from it. But often, depending on your Mac model, and peculiarities with your own particular Mac, the amount of effort one can put into getting a Mac containing a GMA 950 or X3100 GPU (and I assume some of the other GPUs that aren't fully supported by versions of MacOS not intended for Macs that contain those GPUs, even after patching the OS to run on those older Macs) to run Mavericks or Yosemite properly (and stably long-term) may not be worth it, as is shown by so many comments posted to these threads--the amount of time and frustration spent is usually better spent either making or saving a little money to buy a later Mac model that for many people is just the next year's model, and which won't have unsolvable issues like no sleep, no brightness adjust, and no graphics acceleration (which many people should want even if they don't use apps which benefit from it the most, because some parts of MacOS rely on it to work properly). I understand the desire to save a little money, or just keep an old system running, or just to see if it can be done on a particular Mac, but people need to understand the issues they might encounter.

As far as better Macbooks go, both the Early 2009 and Mid 2009 Macbooks are 5,2 models that contain an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GPU, natively support El Capitan (10.11), and will also run patched versions of Sierra and High Sierra that work perfectly when installed using dosdude1's MacOS Sierra Patcher or MacOS High Sierra Patcher (at dosdude1.com/). If you can find an Early 2009 Macbook, it should sell for no more than about $70 if it's in stock condition, though it may cost more if it contains 4 gig of RAM and a large hard drive or an SSD drive (which makes a huge difference in speed). A Mid 2009 Macbook still for some reason sells for about $150 or sometimes more, but the Early 2009 model is nearly identical except for being a tiny (imperceptible) bit slower (2.0 GHz vs 2.13 GHz).

I've installed Sierra on my daily-use Mid 2009 Macbook using dosdude1's patcher, and it worked very well--no bugs that I could find, or at least none that affected me, and then later I installed High Sierra using dosdude1's other patcher, with the same successful results.

On the other hand, let me tell you (part of) my saga, in greatly edited detail, attempting to install Mavericks and Yosemite using MacPostFactor, so you can decide if possibly facing these issues is worth it to you.

I've been wrestling for the past few days to get MacPostFactor 2.0.1 (I also tried 1.0.1) to try Yosemite, and then Mavericks, on a Macbook4,1 (Early 2008 model, essentially the same as the Late 2008 model) that relatives in my household use for web browsing, using Chrome. This Macbook had been running Mountain Lion 10.8.5 just fine, which I'd installed a few years ago using MLPostFactor v0.3--at that time, MacPostFactor hadn't been released yet. Recently I saw that MacPostFactor had been released in June 2015 (I hadn't bothered to check for some time), so I decided to use it to replace my MLPostFactor version of Mountain Lion with a MacPostFactor version, thinking that MacPostFactor must be superior to MLPostFactor, even though I hadn't been seeing any issues. I guess I thought it might fix issues that weren't obvious. Within a day of using MacPostFactor to install Mountain Lion (10.8.5) on this Macbook, the Chrome web browser began to show terrible window redraw problems, especially when trying to scroll a web page. I couldn't update Chrome to see if that would fix this, since the Macbook was already running the last version (49) of Chrome that runs on Mountain Lion, and using Safari wasn't an option since Mountain Lion's version of Safari is too old to work properly with a lot of web pages, so I decided to try using MacPostFactor to upgrade the OS to Yosemite.

It turned out to be a huge task, and the patched Yosemite never worked right. I wanted to leave the Macbook's internal drive's files untouched at first, and install a clean, new MCPF-patched Yosemite onto a Firewire drive so I could boot the Macbook from it and try it out before deciding if it was right for me. Getting a bootable Firewire drive took a while--though some people have no real issues trying to do these patched installations, I had almost nothing but trouble. The first several installer boot volumes I created using MCPF, onto a couple name-brand USB flash drives that I'd formatted using Disk Utility as GUID, wouldn't boot (I say several because I had to try several times, onto different volumes on these flash drives, before I got one to boot), and then once I got one or two MCPF-patched MacOS installer volumes that booted, the MCPF-patched MacOS installer couldn't see any volumes available to install onto (this might be a bug only with MCPF 1.0.1, but I haven't pinned this down yet). I found the fix for this later, while reading through MacRumors forums on MCPF--someone found that the MCPF-patched MacOS installer gets confused by punctuation characters in volume names, and when it sees one on any volume connected to the Mac, it fails to create its list of target volumes. One of my USB flash drives had volume names that contained commas, periods, and parentheses, so first I removed the commas, but that didn't help, so then I removed the periods and parentheses too, and the MCPF-patched MacOS installer was then able to see all the attached volumes (most of which were on the USB flash drive).

There were many other weird issues preventing me from getting to where I could install Yosemite onto the Firewire drive, but I finally got there by trying every combination of steps I could think of. When I booted the patched Yosemite from the Firewire drive, I saw that it was version 10.10.2, which dates from January 2015, instead of the last version of 10.10.5, which dates from August 2015, so I must have downloaded it some time ago. I saw so many video glitches, both in redraw of regular OS elements (window title/grab/tab bars, system animations, scrolling, etc.) and in the jerky performance of video players online (YouTube, etc.), that it was unusable. Some people don't see these video glitches (or not as many) even on some other Macbook4,1 models, so I don't know why I did, except that many Macs and OS installs have unique issues. I don't know if these problems were because I installed 10.10.2 instead of 10.10.5, but maybe I'll download 10.10.5 and try that. Because what I was seeing wasn't usable, I used Disk Utility to erase the Firewire drive's patched Yosemite volume.

Next, I tried to create a patched Mavericks installer USB flash drive to repeat the experiment with Mavericks, but MCPF again failed over and over to create a bootable install volume onto either of my two USB flash drives, until it finally created one that would boot, but its patched MacOS installer couldn't see any volumes available to install onto, because this was before I learned about the MCPF-patched MacOS installer's problem with punctuation characters in the names of attached volumes.

So I finally decided to try MCPF's option to install the patched Mavericks directly onto the Macbook's internal, booted drive, from which I was running the MCPF app, which you're supposed to be able to do, according to the instructions. When MCPF asked me to locate the copy of the Mavericks installer app, I showed it, in the Macbook's internal drive's Applications folder, which again the instructions say you're supposed to do. MCPF then created a Recovery volume on the drive and booted from it to perform the installation, but the installation process immediately failed. I rebooted the Macbook from a Firewire drive backup of the Macbook's internal drive, and found that MCPF had erased the drive's regular boot volume without warning, which is one possible reason why MCPF failed to install--it had erased the volume where the copy of the Mavericks installer app was located, before beginning to use it to do the installation. This is incredible for obvious reasons, not least of which is the lack of a warning that it will erase the target volume, and that you may lose data unless you have it backed up--general warnings about potential data loss posted on the website aren't good enough.

I almost gave up, and used Disk Utility to wipe the Macbook's internal drive to remove the funky MacPostFactor recovery/installer partition, in preparation for copying the backup back to the drive. But I decided to try, one last time, one of the patched Mavericks installer volumes on one of the USB flash drives that hadn't worked before, and for some reason it finally decided to boot on the Macbook, and it saw the Macbook's internal drive, so I let it install. Oddly, the progress windows displayed by this installer were all standard Apple installer windows--there was no sign of MacPostFactor. The resulting installation of Mavericks is OK so far--speed is good (especially with the SSD in this Macbook), Chrome 65 is working fine with no redraw problems, video players work (though I've only checked a few within Chrome, and some seem to be dropping every other frame, which is tolerable to me), I have normal sound, etc. But it's not perfect, due to not having a proper sleep mode, no brightness control, etc. And that sleep mode problem is worse than most people report--if you close the display, the Macbook will sleep in a normal amount of time, but when you open the display, not only will the backlight be off, but the display itself won't even show a faint unlit image, so it's worse than just not having the backlight running--if that were the problem, you could use a flashlight to see the screen image, and use the trackpad and keyboard to close your work and do a proper restart or shutdown. As it is, with no image onscreen, your only solution is to press the power button to force the Macbook to power off. Good luck with unsaved work. A partial workaround for this is to install the NoSleep utility to prevent the Macbook from ever sleeping--instead, just a dark gray screen will appear at sleep time, from which you can "wake" the Macbook by pressing a key on the keyboard. This works even if you close the display. Unfortunately, the backlight remains fully lit even while the display is showing dark gray, and even if the display is closed, since NoSleep can't overcome the fact that the patched Mavericks has no control over the backlight, and so the battery is drained at the usual rate by the power-hungry backlight. MacPostFactor 1.0.1 seems to install NoSleep, since it contains the package for NoSleep, but MacPostFactor 2.0.1 doesn't contain this package, so you have to download and install it manually (it's available at www.macupdate.com and elsewhere). But if someone is fine with the backlight being lit all the time, and that you always should shut down the Macbook before closing the display so excess heat doesn't build up that could theoretically fry the logic board (since the patched Macbook won't go to sleep even with the display closed), then this kind of installation might be OK--it's been OK for my family members who understand these limitations. I knew from reading through the forums about most of these problems, and that they weren't really fixable, so they don't surprise me.

But if I'd known the process was going to be this difficult, I would have skipped it, reinstalled Mountain Lion onto the Macbook's drive using MLPostFactor v0.3, and bought an Early 2009 Macbook on which I could natively install El Capitan, or High Sierra using dosdude1's patcher.

I didn't try MacOS Extractor, because there's nothing on the MacPostFactor website (and I didn't see anything in the MacRumors forums) saying whether the resulting patched MacOS is any better than what you get from MacPostFactor, and the instructions for MacOS Extractor are much more elaborate than for MacPostFactor.

And all of the above isn't even the half of it.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

mlmacml

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
hi! to install on macbook 2,1 where do i get the official mavericks OS? It's not available in mac app store. i'm running SL right now,
macpostfactor doesn't support pirated copies, right?

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
hi! to install on macbook 2,1 where do i get the official mavericks OS? It's not available in mac app store. i'm running SL right now,
macpostfactor doesn't support pirated copies, right?
AFAIK MacPostFactor just requires a complete install as Apple made it of any of the OS it accepts.
I do not know what a "pirated" OS install is.
If you get it from a torrent, from a friend or from another source, as long as the install is OK as Apple made it one should be able to use it.
However an unsupported OS by old hardware once installed is risky and difficult to update, meaning to go from the .1 version to the .2, .3, .4 and so on of that same OS.
Someone in this forum who managed to install with MCPF in an unsupported old MacBook Yosemite, made the mistake of sweating the whole procedure not with the latest Yosemite (10.5) and his efforts to update it afterwards messed his system according to his post.
Therefore if Mavericks is your goal, just try to get the LAST one Apple released at the time of introducing Yosemite, the successor of Mavericks.
I am not sure but maybe I kept the latest Mavericks somewhere in a hard drive and could send it.
I know I do have a Mavericks install but not if it is the very last one, which, as I said, is very, very important.
If you have somewhere a cloud of yours or open one without sensible and risky data on it, anybody willing to help you and still keeping a Mavericks install could upload it there if you give him or her the user name and password needed to access it.
Mega.co.nz is the place I personally use for free cloud space.
They just require a mail address as the user name and a freely chosen password to secure the space and one gets 5 TB of free cloud space for any such account. But needless to say sensible personal data should never be trusted to any such source! It would not be reasonable at all since hackings happen every day in the whole world.
I mention clouds because in order to send a OS install, mail attachments are not feasable for such big files but if a friend or acquaintance of yours should send it to you in a CD/DVD or using a USB key you provided him with, that would of course work as well.
That usually means (to make the mail procedure an easy one) that the other guy is in the same country in which you live, while uploading the file into a cloud you put at disposition (to access it) of the sender having a large file you need and willing to help you, works of course internationally.
Regards and good luck!
Ed

mlmacml

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
thanks lots ed! i managed to find a copy for the os x.

by the way, i read on the osxhackers site, "if your mac blows up, it's your responsibility!"... something like that. i know it's a figure of speech, but does this mean if i mess up, my macbook 2,1 would become unusable? i have no data on there, so data recovery is not a concern, but if i do this whole macpostfactor installation incorrectly, would i not be able to even go back to my current snow leopard, and my mac would be "bricked"?

i'm a total noob so i'm worried about that :(

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
thanks lots ed! i managed to find a copy for the os x.

by the way, i read on the osxhackers site, "if your mac blows up, it's your responsibility!"... something like that. i know it's a figure of speech, but does this mean if i mess up, my macbook 2,1 would become unusable? i have no data on there, so data recovery is not a concern, but if i do this whole macpostfactor installation incorrectly, would i not be able to even go back to my current snow leopard, and my mac would be "bricked"?

i'm a total noob so i'm worried about that :(
Dear mimacmi
First of all do not worry!.
The whole idea behind trying something which was declared not possible by the maker of your (now) old hardware is to enjoy if one succeeds.
However reasonable caution is always needed in life.
Therefore one never does anything without appropriate measures to get back to the starting point if one fails to reach the goal.
That just as an intermediate stage (in my humble opinion) since there is no reason to give up without repeating the intended procedure until succeeding, assuming of course, that our hardware can reach the state in which our intended and chosen OSX operational system can work with it.

Old Macbooks (like mine) had the advantage that by simply removing the removable battery, partially unscrewing a few small screws with a small cross pointed (Philips) screwdriver and removing a L-shaped metal rail, one had easily risk-free access both to the two RAM modules and to the 2.5" small hard drive.
Newer machines were not so easily and risk-free opened.

Therefore for such Macbooks one can easily add RAM of the same kind, usually by exchanging those present modules with scarce capacity for one or both with larger capacity bought second hand or even found nowadays new imported from China.
2 modules of the same speed of the old ones but with more capacity (in my case DDR2 SoDIMMs with 667 MHz also called type 5300) help any old Macbook to speed it up as long as it can manage so much RAM (the maximum depends on the model).
Besides, one can at the same time exchange the small 2.5" SATA hard drive by a new one, preferably a SSD Flash type which nowadays does not cost a fortune.

What I did was to buy a small USB enclosure for 2.5" SATA hard drives and clone the inner drive to the new one in that enclosure, testing afterwards with the Option Key that the outside hard drive COULD ACTUALLY BOOT the computer, of course still with the old version of MacOSX which was in my case 10.7 Lion.
Then I exchanged the 2 hard drives, placed the new drive inside and it worked as before (only better if it was a SSD and if I had bought 2 RAM modules with more capacity).
Only then I began fighting with MacPostFactor and without any risk since I had kept the previous state in the former hard drive, now in the USB enclosure,

In my case it took A FEW WEEKS and several failures until I obtained that my old Macbook should work ("reasonably acceptable" DO NOT expect perfection!) with a newer OSX than the original OSX wich was supposed to be the appropriate allowed system according to Apple.
Still keeping the previous hard drive with the original OSX helps to copy previous data and makes you feel safe since you can always get back to the starting point if needed. Besides it will always be useful to put for instance any file one wants to keep but does not need in the inner drive.
Besides time and patience...a bit of money must be invested but a relatively modest one.

The risk to ruin the old Macbook by trying to upgrade the OSX is not great in my modest opinion and...should it actually stop entirely to work, then the hardware (motherboard, CPU etc.) was near its death anyway.
In my modest non technical opinion MacPostFactor alone will not brick any Macbook by itself. I am not at all a technician genius but that is my opinion, based only on my own experience.
And (worst case!) if an old Macbook dies because of hardware failure, one can get another one second hand for relatively little money and if it is about the same age and type and uses RAM of the same speed, one will not lose the money spent in RAM but reuse it (...or otherwise resell it).
A SSD and an external USB enclosure for small 2.5" SATA hard drives are even more reusable...even with entirely different computers!

Finally, if one day one succeeds to have the old Macbook run "reasonably well" a newer OSX, it is very advisable to buy a further small hard drive and make a bootable clone with help of the mentioned USB enclosure.
I always keep such a bootable clone to feel safe and not risk to begin again the MacPostFactor fight I succeeded after considerable efforts!

Now you must decide by yourself if you want to try it or not.
To remain with the original OSX as intended by Apple is of course always the easy way as long as you don't need to run software demanding a newer OSX.
Many people in this forum still run Snow Leopard and say they are very very happy with that quite old OSX!

Don't fool yourself it will be a piece of cake. You will need a lot of patience! That is in my opinion the true risk, to lose one's patience.

It's up to you
to decide to take the fight or remain in the present situation.
That you could make "blow up" the old Macbook is of course just a way of saying that the author of MacPostFactor cannot be held responsible for ANYTHING...which is his legitimate right. He makes no money on it!

Sorry for the too long post and good luck in whatever you do or don't.
Ed

Last edited:

johnsawyercjs

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2007
i read on the osxhackers site, "if your mac blows up, it's your responsibility!"... something like that. i know it's a figure of speech, but does this mean if i mess up, my macbook 2,1 would become unusable...and my mac would be "bricked"?

I doubt if using MacPostFactor could ever cause hardware damage to any Mac it's used on. There are other methods for hacking an older Mac, to get it to run newer versions of MacOS, that involve rewriting the Mac's boot ROM (or some other chip), and if one of those methods goes wrong, then yes in many (most?) cases, that Mac would never work again, without a logic board swap or some elaborate hardware procedure to rewrite the chip with stock code. So I don't recommend those procedures.

That said, there will be the rare instance in which a Mac on which MacPostFactor (or any other software) is used, will have some kind of hardware failure that was going to happen anyway. The hardware failure might occur within seconds or minutes, or days or weeks, after running MacPostFactor, but since the hardware failure happens after using MacPostFactor on the Mac, some people might assume that this was caused by MacPostFactor, or just aggravated into happening earlier than it would have otherwise, but it wasn't.
[doublepost=1551603354][/doublepost]
I have a backlight/display issue on my macbook (Early 2008 MacBook4,1 running mac os x 10.9.5)
where the backlight stays at full brightness and doesn't adjust. and when i put it to sleep the display won't turn on at all.

Here I am posting another months-late reply to an earlier question, but for what it's worth:

A partial workaround for this is to install the NoSleep utility to prevent the Macbook from ever sleeping--instead, just a dark gray screen will appear at sleep time, from which you can "wake" the Macbook by pressing a key on the keyboard. This works even if you close the display. Unfortunately, the backlight remains fully lit even while the display is showing dark gray, and even if the display is closed, since NoSleep can't overcome the fact that the patched Mavericks has no control over the backlight, and so the battery will be drained at the usual rate by the power-hungry backlight. MacPostFactor 1.0.1 seems to install NoSleep, since it contains the package for NoSleep, but MacPostFactor 2.0.1 doesn't contain this package, so you have to download and install it manually (it's available at www.macupdate.com and elsewhere). But while running NoSleep, you should always shut down the Macbook before closing the display, so excess heat doesn't build up that could theoretically fry the logic board, since the Macbook won't go to sleep even with the display closed.

Last edited:

Danitto

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2019
Hi All,
I have a 2016 iMac 17". I upgraded the CPU from intel core duo 1,83ghz to intel core 2 duo 2,33ghz. The firmware now 5.1 from 4.1. The ram is 2gb now. Add a new 250gb SSD. I installed a 10.9.5 Mavericks good, but my problem is the graphic card, ATI radeon X1600 is only 5mb... Have some idea about the driver? What can I do to use normal VRam (128mb)? Thanks, Daniel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.