Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
Can you tell us which method did you use?

Update your installer drive to Mavericks, then when the mac boots up choose the installer drive to boot from then install the mavericks as an upgrade to ML let it finish it restarts back to the Macintosh HD and you are good to go

kjricso

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
USA
Macbook Early 2008

MacBook3,1 is based on GMA X3100 graphics chip as far as I know. I'm afraid that means you can forget about Mavericks as there remains no decent/stable 64bit support for that Intel chip (which also lacks support for OpenCL/OpenGL 4 that Apple use since ML). If you did install Mavericks on that laptop (which should be Ok since it has EFI64), you would rapidly find it unusable due to lack of graphics acceleration.

ML with MLPF in 32bit kernel mode is the best you can have in the present days.

So does that mean there is no way to install 10.9 on a Black Macbook Early 2008?

kjricso

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
USA
Guide for Installing with boot loader

Do you have a guide for installing 10.9 with a boot loader on a Macbook 2008?

kjricso

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
USA
This is my Macbook Specs

You'd be wasting your time in my opinion but seeing is believing, right? Then, there's none so zealous as the converted...

Sorry, I don't have a guide. If you have an EFI64 model, you should be able to simply run the downloaded installer app from Apple web site.

If you have a EFI32 model, try and find out what owners of MacPro1,1 have done, but that appears well documented. So, just search for it.

Introduction Date: February 26, 2008 Discontinued Date: October 14, 2008
Processors: 1 (2 Cores) Geekbench: 3182/3557*
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz Processor Type: Core 2 Duo (T8300)
Details: The Intel "Core 2 Duo" (T8300) 45 nm "Penryn" processor includes two independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip.

Also see: How much faster is the "Early 2008 Penryn" MacBook Core 2 Duo compared to the "Late 2007 Santa Rosa" MacBook Core 2 Duo?
Custom Speeds: N/A Architecture: 64-Bit
Processor Upgrade: Soldered FPU: Integrated
System Bus Speed: 800 MHz Cache Bus Speed: 2.4 GHz (Built-in)
ROM/Firmware Type: EFI EFI Architecture: 64-Bit
L1 Cache: 32k/32k L2/L3 Cache: 3 MB (on chip)
RAM Type: PC2-5300 DDR2 Min. RAM Speed: 667 MHz

I can't do the install since it says my macbook is unsupported even though it runs 64bit fine. I have 64bit Windows 7 via bootcamp on it and it runs great.

spankadank

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
Mac Pro 1,1 Black screen after boot sequence

Using batmanofzurenar's and the chameleon method, when it ends the boot sequence the screen goes black and the machine becomes unresponsive. I have the 8800GT on my mac pro 1,1 and this set up ran almost flawlessly with ML prior. Any ideas?

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
Where is it?

Now that Mavericks is out for free I wanted to download a copy to try to install on another Mac. When I click on DOWNLOAD in the App Store, a download begins but I can't figure out where the file is being saved. Not the APPLICATIONS folder and not the DOWNLOAD folder, does anybody know where else it could be?

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
I can't do the install since it says my macbook is unsupported even though it runs 64bit fine. I have 64bit Windows 7 via bootcamp on it and it runs great.

Running a 64Bit OS is not the issue. The issue is your graphics, not the processor. RV-ABZ has made that clear several times.

Using batmanofzurenar's and the chameleon method, when it ends the boot sequence the screen goes black and the machine becomes unresponsive. I have the 8800GT on my mac pro 1,1 and this set up ran almost flawlessly with ML prior. Any ideas?

What boot sequence are you talking about? With my GTX 570 the screen is black for about 10 seconds and then Chameleon comes up. Are you talking about after you have started booting Mavericks? You might need to turn on the Graphic Enabler in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. You can use the Chameleon Wizard to do that for you.

Now that Mavericks is out for free I wanted to download a copy to try to install on another Mac. When I click on DOWNLOAD in the App Store, a download begins but I can't figure out where the file is being saved. Not the APPLICATIONS folder and not the DOWNLOAD folder, does anybody know where else it could be?

It went to my applications folder

Last edited:

Shellbo6901

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
FL
it'd be nice if they could just make a version(even if it were to have a charge) that could work with the 2007 macbooks(without any of the new cool stuff that these can't handle)

spankadank

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
What boot sequence are you talking about? With my GTX 570 the screen is black for about 10 seconds and then Chameleon comes up. Are you talking about after you have started booting Mavericks? You might need to turn on the Graphic Enabler in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. You can use the Chameleon Wizard to do that for you.

After the Apple Logo and before it kicks over to the desktop is where it is stalling.

For some reason the graphics enabler string was missing and I didn't catch it. I'll update as soon as the drive gets free, was doing a back up so I could downgrade... thank you for the help!

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
After the Apple Logo and before it kicks over to the desktop is where it is stalling.

For some reason the graphics enabler string was missing and I didn't catch it. I'll update as soon as the drive gets free, was doing a back up so I could downgrade... thank you for the help!

The files from batmanofzurenar don't have it enabled and you need it with any NVIDIA GPU below the 600 series.

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
So, in short, there is absolutely NO way to force Mavericks upgrade on a MacBook4, 1

There are ways to do this with the chameleon boot loader, but as others have previously said, it will be next to unusable due to the lack of graphics acceleration. I'd hang on and wait to see if MVPF from hackerwayne ever gets released. At the moment the only person that's in the loop regarding MVPF is hackerwayne himself.

newtoiphonesdk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
There are ways to do this with the chameleon boot loader, but as others have previously said, it will be next to unusable due to the lack of graphics acceleration. I'd hang on and wait to see if MVPF from hackerwayne ever gets released. At the moment the only person that's in the loop regarding MVPF is hackerwayne himself.

Thanks. Never installed in any way other than the official way, but just so irritating that our MacBook4,1 is the newest MacBook that can't install it.

fkick

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
Downloading the Public release on a MBPr right now. Will install it over my existing installation as an update later using a supported Mac.

UPDATE:
Changed the values in my SMBios file to make the App Store think that I am on a supported Mac Pro and it let me download Mavericks directly from the App Store on my Mac Pro 1,1. I am going to try to run it as just an update to see if that works since I am on the 13A598 GM

Silly question, is it possible to change the SMBios file on a Mac Pro 1,1 without installed Chameleon, meaning that we would simply be able to download from the app store and update? Or would we still need Chameleon to switch the kernel to 64bit.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Silly question, is it possible to change the SMBios file on a Mac Pro 1,1 without installed Chameleon, meaning that we would simply be able to download from the app store and update? Or would we still need Chameleon to switch the kernel to 64bit.

I don't know of a way to switch the info without Chameleon.

Still no luck after editing the string. Any way you can share your files/extras file to see if I'm just missing something?

https://mega.co.nz/#!G1hHQRrI!Wu3hOF2dJyU-CMDOH8bqIGgOIIIJaGK5S64bdg9nXWQ

Last edited:

melvint2

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
Got OS X Mavericks running beautifully on my 1,1 Mac Pro (w/ an XFX unflashed 5770) after a LOT of fiddling with this & that using a mixture of batmanofzurenar's & jabbawok's guides.

Is there a list of what video cards are supported? I have a MacPro 1,1 with flashed GT120 cards.

Also, is there an instruction guide for installing the release version?

Thanks

Mojuk

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
Hey guys, just picked up a 2006 Mac mini 1.1, I have updated the Efi to 2.1, upgraded CPU to an intel T7400 core 2 duo, 4gb ram and ssd...reading through here I can't see anyone who has done the same although as the 2006 Mac mini shipped with the gma 950 I guess I can't run mavericks on it? Would presumably need an 09 3.1 mini with nvidia 9400?

Question is a. Am I correct about not being able to run mavericks despite the CPU ram upgrade? b. What is the best version of osx I could run on it? Mountain lion ?

Cheers

Moj

rhimbo

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
Will Mavericks run on my older MBP 17"...?

SUCCESS! Maverick running on older Macs. Pictures wil be up later

Before upgrading I'm trying to find out more conclusively if Mavericks will run on my particular MBP hardware. I have an older MBP -- not sure how old as I bought it refurbished from Apple. But here are my system details.

Processor Name Intel Core 2 Duo
Model Identifier MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed 2.5 GHz
Bus Speed 800 MHz

L2 Cache 6 MB
Memory 4 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

Boot ROM Version MBP41.00C1.B03
SMC Version (system) 1.28f3
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512MB

Thanks,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.