Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
How do I go about installing Mavericks on my Mac Pro 1,1 it currently has 10.8.4 via MLPF on it, obviously I want to wait until the public release of Mavericks but by then will mavericks post factor be out? Thanks

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Could you give a little more detail about this process?
Download this file

Then create a folder inside the "Extra" folder named "modules". Place the downloaded file inside the modules folder and reboot. It worked after doing that.

Now I just need to get my dual boot with Windows 7 and Mavericks working. When I put in the Windows hard drive it just wants to boot to Windows or it gets right to the point where Chameleon would show on the screen gets stuck at a blinking cursor. Only thing I can do it press the power button to reboot. Dual booting with Lion and Mavericks works great (both on their own HDD)

Last edited:

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
I wouldn't wait for a possible MVPF to come out any time soon (if it ever does). Try to use Chameleon to install Mavericks on your MacPro1,1 especially if all hardware is supported in 64bit mode.

Is the GM basically the public release then? Is it stable enough to use until next OSX?

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Download this file

Then create a folder inside the "Extra" folder named "modules". Place the downloaded file inside the modules folder and reboot. It worked after doing that.

Fantastic. Thanks mate - works great.

I think you mentioned before your Apple logo on the boot screen was stretched out? Did you have any luck fixing that? Weirdly it seems to be working fine for me. I always had a stretched logo on 10.8, but since I installed 10.9 it's been perfectly scaled.

Do you have the graphics mode in org.chameleon.Boot.plist set to the native resolution for your monitor? I'm not sure if that's what affects it, but might be worth a try.

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
Well... No...
I am very pessimistic about that, too.
But hope dies last! ;)

Wouldn't it be possible to recompile the Darwin 13.x.x kernel for i386 (IF it still compiles) once the sources are released, and use it for MVPF?

However...

I JUST LOVE THE PIC.

LOL :D

All of this reminds me of an old 386 I had without a co-processor and still I wanted to run 3D Studio v.3, even though I had to wait 10 hours to get a render of a single sphere on 640x480 pixels. :)

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Fantastic. Thanks mate - works great.

I think you mentioned before your Apple logo on the boot screen was stretched out? Did you have any luck fixing that? Weirdly it seems to be working fine for me. I always had a stretched logo on 10.8, but since I installed 10.9 it's been perfectly scaled.

Do you have the graphics mode in org.chameleon.Boot.plist set to the native resolution for your monitor? I'm not sure if that's what affects it, but might be worth a try.

The problem lies in that my GTX 570 graphics card only supports 1024x768 in VESA mode. There are way of modifying the Bios on the card to add other resolutions like 1920x1080 to the table but people have mixed results and I don't have a spare GPU if something goes wrong. I do have the the graphics mode 1920x1080x32 in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist but it doesn't make any difference.

Update:
So I think my issue with the boot screen may actually because because I am using an HDMI connection. If I turn off overscan in the display preferences then my desktop is the same aspect/resolution as the boot screen. I might have to try booting with a VGA connection instead to see if that is the issue.

Last edited:

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Update:
So I think my issue with the boot screen may actually because because I am using an HDMI connection. If I turn off overscan in the display preferences then my desktop is the same aspect/resolution as the boot screen. I might have to try booting with a VGA connection instead to see if that is the issue.

I see. I'm using DVI out on an Apple Cinema Display from a 5770HD if it helps (flashed PC card).

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
I see. I'm using DVI out on an Apple Cinema Display from a 5770HD if it helps (flashed PC card).

So my assumption was correct and it is an issue with overscan needing to be turned on when using a DVI to HDMI cable. My monitor doesn't have DVI so I used a DVI to VGA cable and then used the VGA port on the monitor and the boot screen shows up fine. I will have to try my GPU's mini HDMI out to HDMI and see if that also requires the overscan in system preferences or if it works.

yuser

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2009
Please help

Hello,

installed 10.9 GM on my MacPro 1,1 with ATI 4890.
I have upgraded from ML with myHack (to get the install partition and new version of Chameleon). I am asking myself if that was a mistake by now...

Now I have the problem that I can only boot with GraphicsEnabler=No. Everything else does not work, booting is not possible otherwise. So I have no QE/CI and basically a non-working graphics performance.

Can you please help?

I downloaded somewhere files which state that they are QE/CI patch for 10.9 GM. I used kext drop with AMD4800Controller and ATIRadeonX2000 to install. But it does still not boot without GraphicsEnabler=No. In the past with ML updates this always helped.

BR

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
If anyone wants it, here is the Extra folder that I am using on my Mac Pro 1,1 running Mavericks GM. I have also included the Chameleon 2.2 installer and the Chameleon Wizard app which can assist you in making changes to the SMBios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist. The wizard app will also update the Chameleon install if you need to. You should only need to change the serial number in the SMBios.plist to match that of your Mac Pro. I have made all the cosmetic changes like processor name, mac model, board model and bios version.

Download

EDIT:

Quick fix - I have an old SMbiosversion string in the SMBios.plist file. Here is the correct one:
MP11.88Z.005C.B08.0707021221

Last edited:

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
The problem lies in that my GTX 570 graphics card only supports 1024x768 in VESA mode. There are way of modifying the Bios on the card to add other resolutions like 1920x1080 to the table but people have mixed results and I don't have a spare GPU if something goes wrong. I do have the the graphics mode 1920x1080x32 in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist but it doesn't make any difference.

Update:

The Apple logo is stretched too with my (flashed) radeon 4870.

Also, does sleep work flawlessly for anyone here on a Mac Pro 1.1? I'd like to fix the issue of my Mac Pro going to hibernate mode instead of mere sleep, which takes longer and wastes disks space on the sleepImage file.

Heshion

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
We'll know if GM is the public release when the public release goes out. Meantime, yes it's safe to use (it's as stable as any previous DP as far as I'm concerned), even though my laptop has developped a tendency to crap out and freeze in Safari after a wake. That's a new issue with GM for me but I did install it over DP8. So, who knows?...

RV-ABZ. A bit confused on if my MacPro machine will run Chameleon/64 bit. I have a 1,1 upgrade to 1,2 firmware, X5355s and a 1GB GT-120 clone graphics card (which I believe is not flashed, and running in 32 bit). All of this should run 64 bit. HOWEVER, I'm told that the whole graphics section of the pre-3,1s are ONLY 32 bit, and cannot run a 64 bit card. Are you under the impression that these original 1,1 & 2,1 machines will run Chameleon in full 64 bit, and I can have graphics acceleration and properly running YouTube and Safari browsing? I'm currently pegging all 8 CPUs during these processes. Can you shed some light? Thanks.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
The Apple logo is stretched too with my (flashed) radeon 4870.

Also, does sleep work flawlessly for anyone here on a Mac Pro 1.1? I'd like to fix the issue of my Mac Pro going to hibernate mode instead of mere sleep, which takes longer and wastes disks space on the sleepImage file.

Sleep works perfect for me when running Mavericks. When running 64bit Lion it KPs when waking up and I never get an image on the monitor. Have to hard reset using the power button. I have a SSHD drive arriving today and will be making Mavericks my full time OS.

EDIT: so it seems like sleep works intermittently. It does go to sleep and not hibernation but it doesn't wake up sometimes.

RV-ABZ. A bit confused on if my MacPro machine will run Chameleon/64 bit. I have a 1,1 upgrade to 1,2 firmware, X5355s and a 1GB GT-120 clone graphics card (which I believe is not flashed, and running in 32 bit). All of this should run 64 bit. HOWEVER, I'm told that the whole graphics section of the pre-3,1s are ONLY 32 bit, and cannot run a 64 bit card. Are you under the impression that these original 1,1 & 2,1 machines will run Chameleon in full 64 bit, and I can have graphics acceleration and properly running YouTube and Safari browsing? I'm currently pegging all 8 CPUs during these processes. Can you shed some light? Thanks.

Reading on the Apple discussion forum it sounds like the GT120 should work. But some people are having KP issues. For very little money you can pic up a PC Card and with Chameleon you will have a boot screen.

Last edited:

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
One thing I have noticed is that my GPU fan speed tends to be pretty high and therefore a bit noisy. It doesn't start off high but when the screen goes to sleep it speeds up and stays up until a restart happens. Unfortunately there seems to be no way to control this when running OS X. There are many options when running Windows.

Right now I am running 64bit Lion. I will be reinstalling Mavericks on to a new HDD I just got and will see if the fan issue persist.

yuser

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2009
Can somebody help me please? Is ATI Radeaon HD4890 (flashed) supported in Mavericks? It was running great with ML and Chameleon.

As I stated I have installed Mavericks but can not get graphics with HD4890 to work.

Thanks.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Can somebody help me please? Is ATI Radeaon HD4890 (flashed) supported in Mavericks? It was running great with ML and Chameleon.

As I stated I have installed Mavericks but can not get graphics with HD4890 to work.

Thanks.

jeanlain is running a flashed HD4870 so I would assume the 4890 also works.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Got everything running really smooth now. I got a new 1TB Seagate SSHD and setup 3 partitions (1GB, 700GB, 299GB). The 1GB is the Chameleon boot partition, 700GB for Mavericks and 300GB for Windows 7.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Discovered another issue I am having. I have a bluray burner installed in the second bay. Using chameleon to boot, the drive is detected in system profiler but it isn't usable. Option+eject does nothing and programs like Toast don't see it. Is there a ktext that I need to install for this to work?

Never-mind. Fixed the SATA Blu-Ray drive issue by installing the Sata.dylib from Chameleon Wizard.

New GM release out, so 1st shot wasn't good enough for Apple...

I assume the update doesn't show up in my App Store because I am not a registered dev. I wonder if it will show up when it the public release is out....

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.