Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trintha

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2009
I gotta say, this is the coolest project I've seen in a long time. Awesome job and much props!

Buddygor

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
Who wants to try out my OS X 10.9 DP on Mac Pro 1,1 guide? BE MY GUINEA PIG!!!! or not... your choice XD

http://wp.me/p1NdqU-7

Took me 14 hours straight to write and put together. That's right 14 hours non-stop folks... well anyways, if somethings not working or if I made any mistakes just leave a comment and I'll check it out and fix it.

Don't forget to thank Jabbawok & netkas for their hard work!

I'm testing on my MacBook 2,1. I'll use the SL GMA 950 kexts, I'll let you know how I get on.

EDIT - I tried, but for some reason, either booting into the Chameleon disk, or the Install OS X disk resulted in a flashing Apple logo / no smoking sign / question mark folder loop. Any help? I did everything right, double-checked. I used a SMBIOS from a MacBook 4,1 which is supported.

:apple::apple:
Noah Budgor

Last edited:

hydemaki

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2013
Who wants to try out my OS X 10.9 DP on Mac Pro 1,1 guide? BE MY GUINEA PIG!!!! or not... your choice XD

Took me 14 hours straight to write and put together. That's right 14 hours non-stop folks... well anyways, if somethings not working or if I made any mistakes just leave a comment and I'll check it out and fix it.

i tested your "guide", step by step..
but when i reboot into chameleon disk, it says not found bootable disk..
what should i do for this?

Kaoman

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2013
i would like to be a beta tester of this app , im nowhere near affodring a mac :( :( so this is as close as it gets

@hackerwayne is there a beta to your MVPF app :) if thats what you'll call it

bolen

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Sweden
I'm testing on my MacBook 2,1. I'll use the SL GMA 950 kexts, I'll let you know how I get on.

EDIT - I tried, but for some reason, either booting into the Chameleon disk, or the Install OS X disk resulted in a flashing Apple logo / no smoking sign / question mark folder loop. Any help? I did everything right, double-checked. I used a SMBIOS from a MacBook 4,1 which is supported.

:apple::apple:
Noah Budgor

Had the same issue on my mini when trying it out..

I had this issue when trying to boot Chameleon of a USB drive, I guess there could be some incompatibility on certain drives.

I ended up partitioning the internal drive into 3 partitions (1 chameleon boot, 1 mavericks installer and 1 "Macintosh HD" for installation).

You will need to use GPT partition table (even though guides props for MBR on Chameleon), otherwise you cannot install Mavericks on any partition on that drive.

You can later on "hide" (a.k.a. leave unmounted) the boot/installer partition in OS X, google for guides.

hydemaki

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2013
We'll be downloading it first hand and get it tested out :p - From HackerWayne & MLForAll (MLPostFactor)

What we know so far.

- Won't work with anything that doesn't run Mountain Lion.
- EFI64 only, just like 10.8.
- 64-bit support for older Macs (that currently runs MLPFv0.3) is not going to be easy as many things has changed.

SUCCESS!!! Maverick on old 2006 iMac!! Pics up later.

Got it working on X3100 based MacBooks too. Tons of issues. Bugs and glitches everywhere and graphics doesn't quite work yet. Its gonna be like how MLPF started at first. So be patient. :)

where i can get X3100 driver and audio driver for mavericks?

pupin

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2013
Hi,

Any chance you could share the Mavericks boot.efi?
I don't need anything else, and won't bother with further questions, but I do need the patched boot.efi.

Thanks in advance!

Music.Leecher

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013
Dp4

I've been able to instal Mavericks on my Black MB 3,1. :D Did a clean install. Did all updates to DP4 and still runs fine.
Installation was pretty easy, just had to modify the PlatformSupport.plist on CoreServices and com.apple.recovery.boot, and InstallableMachines.plist (locate in System/Instalation/Packages/) and modify OSInstall.mpkg to have the installer run.
After installing, just had to replace the PlatformSupport.plist on the HD and it worked just fine!

Problems: Graphics and sound not working out of the box.

Placed the SL 64bit kexts, no improvement besides showing that I was using the built-in display, had the GMA X3100 and external monitors now work.
Will try the MLPostFactor kexts and OpenGL.framework and see what happens...

Placed the AppleHDA.kext from the MLPostFactor, no good yet... Maybe lacking other dependencies? Still working on that...

I have no problem in helping you hackerwayne! ;)

Music.Leecher

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013
Got sound working, but no luck with graphics.

Tried replacing OpenCL and OpenGL frameworks, and placing the kexts from the v0.3 MLPF but no luck, Finder just crashes.
So I'm stuck with the SL 64bit kexts until this project goes further... :(

EDIT: No sleep too.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I've been able to instal Mavericks on my Black MB 3,1. :D Did a clean install. Did all updates to DP4 and still runs fine.
Installation was pretty easy, just had to modify the PlatformSupport.plist on CoreServices and com.apple.recovery.boot, and InstallableMachines.plist (locate in System/Instalation/Packages/) and modify OSInstall.mpkg to have the installer run.
After installing, just had to replace the PlatformSupport.plist on the HD and it worked just fine!

Problems: Graphics and sound not working out of the box.

Placed the SL 64bit kexts, no improvement besides showing that I was using the built-in display, had the GMA X3100 and external monitors now work.
Will try the MLPostFactor kexts and OpenGL.framework and see what happens...

Placed the AppleHDA.kext from the MLPostFactor, no good yet... Maybe lacking other dependencies? Still working on that...

I have no problem in helping you hackerwayne! ;)

Files from MLPF won't work as thats designed for 32-bit kernels. MVPF is in the works and will only be released as beta after GM version of Mavericks.

Music.Leecher

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013
Files from MLPF won't work as thats designed for 32-bit kernels. MVPF is in the works and will only be released as beta after GM version of Mavericks.

Yup, I remembered that the MLPF files wouldn't help unless I could get a 32-bit kernel running on Mavericks... :(

Anyway, I have a MacBook 3,1 and can help you out with the testing on this platform.
Hope to good news from this project of your, just like MLPF! ;)

bolen

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Sweden
Got sound working, but no luck with graphics.

Tried replacing OpenCL and OpenGL frameworks, and placing the kexts from the v0.3 MLPF but no luck, Finder just crashes.
So I'm stuck with the SL 64bit kexts until this project goes further... :(

EDIT: No sleep too.

What did you do to get sound working?

I've installed Mavericks on a Mini 1,1 and I'm missing sound and wifi.

I have the SL 64-bit GMA950 kext running slow but good enough (will be a headless server). I think the sleep issue is caused by the graphics kext not being fully operational.

mcrum23

macrumors member
May 6, 2013
@Hackerwayne,

As you may or may not know Filevault to encrypt user account is unsupported with MLpostfactor (I tested myself, mac os just won't allow to reboot after activating Filevault).

Do you plan to make this an available feature with Maverick or it's a no go?
I ask this question in order to know if should buy Macfort or wait for Maverickpostfactor.

Thanks again :)

Last edited:

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
@Hackerwayne,

As you may or may not know Filevault to encrypt user account is unsupported with MLpostfactor (I tested myself, mac os just won't allow to reboot after activating Filevault).

Do you plan to make this an available feature with Maverick or it's a no go?
I ask this question in order to know if should buy Macfort or wait for Maverickpostfactor.

Thanks again :)

No go for MLPF. Very buggy on MVPF

T909

Suspended
Aug 16, 2008
Europe
Thanks a lot to you, guys.
I surely will try it when 10.9.4 will be released. Thanks for making my MacBook live longer, so I don't have to worry about getting a new computer.
I will donate to you soon)

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Installing without boot screen

Hey guys. I've been fine on Lion for ages with my 1,1 but Apple have finally forced me to upgrade because Xcode 5 which I use a lot will only work on 10.8 or higher.

My problem is that I have an unflashed PC HD5770 as my graphics card, so I have no boot screen. This has been no problem for me until now, but the install process for Mavericks has this bit:

------

1) Now re-boot your Mac Pro and hold down the option key on your keyboard to bring up the list of drives.

2) Select “Startup Disk”, then tap the F8 key repeatedly until you see a list of bootable drives.

------

Anyone know how I can do this without a boot screen?

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
Just updated my Mac Pro 1,2 to GM build, no problems so far

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-04 at 19.47.32.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-04 at 19.47.32.png
    264.2 KB · Views: 1,024
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.