Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jon8214

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
Belfast, NI
Is there a problem with mcpf and osxextractor? I have been trying to install ml on a 4,1 mb but mcpf fails and extractor install keeps failing?

Heres the end of the installer log -

Jul 9 09:58:44 admins-macbook installd[188]: ./postinstall: cp: ./Hack/i386/boot.efi: No such file or directory
Jul 9 09:58:44 admins-macbook installd[188]: ./postinstall: /tmp/PKInstallSandbox.vHEXss/Scripts/com.JohnsonNetwork.pkg.MountainLion.zVCHvD/postinstall: line 47: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
Jul 9 09:58:44 admins-macbook installd[188]: ./postinstall: /tmp/PKInstallSandbox.vHEXss/Scripts/com.JohnsonNetwork.pkg.MountainLion.zVCHvD/postinstall: line 48: syntax error: unexpected end of file
Jul 9 09:58:44 admins-macbook installd[188]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “Mountain Lion.pkg”." UserInfo=0x7fdcca555530 {NSFilePath=./postinstall, NSURL=file://localhost/private/tmp/com.apple.installer.downloads.uHLm/Mountain%20Lion.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.JohnsonNetwork.pkg.MountainLion, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “Mountain Lion.pkg”.} {
NSFilePath = "./postinstall";
NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while running scripts from the package \U201cMountain Lion.pkg\U201d.";
NSURL = "file://localhost/private/tmp/com.apple.installer.downloads.uHLm/Mountain%20Lion.pkg";
PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "com.JohnsonNetwork.pkg.MountainLion";
}
Jul 9 09:58:44 admins-macbook Installer[177]: install:didFailWithError:Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “Mountain Lion.pkg”." UserInfo=0x7fb45a2d67b0 {NSFilePath=./postinstall, NSURL=file://localhost/private/tmp/com.apple.installer.downloads.uHLm/Mountain%20Lion.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.JohnsonNetwork.pkg.MountainLion, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “Mountain Lion.pkg”.}
Jul 9 09:58:45 admins-macbook Installer[177]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
Jul 9 09:58:45 admins-macbook Installer[177]: IFDInstallController 5A011440 state = 7
Jul 9 09:58:45 admins-macbook Installer[177]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
Jul 9 09:58:46 admins-macbook Installer[177]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.

Last edited:

Master123of

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Germany
I tried to install ML on my 24" late 2006 white iMac, I tried it with mlpostfactor 0.2.2 and macpostfactor in the newest version but everything i get is a huuuge "OS O" with an boot loop. What can I do?

Thanks!

IMG_0133.jpg

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I tried to install ML on my 24" late 2006 white iMac, I tried it with mlpostfactor 0.2.2 and macpostfactor in the newest version but everything i get is a huuuge "OS O" with an boot loop. What can I do?

Thanks!

IMG_0133.jpg
You must've used MacPostFactor, I got this issue as well. Try MLPostFactor 0.3, that worked for me.

jon8214

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
Belfast, NI
You need to boot into the partition called efi or efi boot, go to utilities select mlpf, go through and select your installed partition and it will repatch, then reboot and it should load

Master123of

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Germany
No I did not install the security update in Lion

Should I reinstall Lion and make no updates at all ant then use macpostfactor 0.3?

Last edited:

teemuek

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2016
I have ML 10.8.5 installed with MacPostFactor 1.0.1. The newest, 2.0.1 has fixes I really need, how am i supposed to update?

E: to clarify my question: Can I update only MacPostFactor components or do I have to reinstall OS completely?

E: Found update option.

Last edited:

kiv

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2016
Hi!

I've just installed 10.8.5 on GMA 950 Mac Mini with MacPostFactor 1.0.1. Everything seems to work fine. Except several features.
-
Missing login screen when password is enabled. I've tried clean install several times, but no luck. Mac boots to screen with default wallpaper and mouse. No login/password fields. You can enter password and successfully login but in blind.
-
Second the most important problem is wake up after sleep. Mac goes sleep but never wakes up. It makes the cd-rom sound but screen does not come back. Is that ok? Can it be fixed? This crashes my hope to switch to modern 10.8.5…
-
And just find out that world map in date and time settings does not appear.
-
And no Wi-Fi

hm..

Thanks!

Come on guys. Nobody's here with GMA950?

Reactions: Romanesq

SmokyMtnHi

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2016
Hey, new here and have been reading a threads trying to find someone with a jump drive version of Mountain Lion used with MacPostFactor to install on unsupported Mac. I have a early 2008 white macbook 10.7.5. I first downloaded ML form Apple. They allowed me to pay then wouldn't let me download on the old mac or my new 2015 pro. I then purchased a USB drive loaded w/ ML installer from Ebay and it also has safety checks that won't allow me to install. I cannot find a file installESD.dmg. I created the "shared support" file and put the osinstall.mpkg in but MacPostFactor still doesn't find any installers in my application file. Can anyone help? I'm stumped and have worked on this thing all day! LOL.

SmokyMtnHi

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2016
Hi, yes, that sounds like a correct sequence. Report how it went.

No, it won't. Mac hacks are different only with few modified kexts. You won't screw anything as long as you properly back up everything. And if you don't have anything to back up, you have nothing to lose. I would not use time machine though. I usually use a bootable medium and back everything up via disk utility to a dmg image on a spare partition or a hard drive.
I followed the same procedure listed above and this time MPF found ML but quit after it could not find the BaseSystem.dmg It instructed me to please check my Install OS X_ _ _app and quit. Any suggestions?

romanaThree

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2016
I followed the same procedure listed above and this time MPF found ML but quit after it could not find the BaseSystem.dmg It instructed me to please check my Install OS X_ _ _app and quit. Any suggestions?

Look inside (show pkg contents off the right-click menu) your OS X ML installer.app Is the BaseSystem.dmg in there?

You downloaded the OS X Mountain Lion Installer app from Apple and put it in Applications? If so there should be no problem with missing files.

I have the same macbook as you, 2008 macbook 4,1 and I managed to get ML 10.8.5 installed. Beware that ML is not going to be perfect: all the eye candy like the genie effect, shiny dock, and trans. menu work, but most applications that need graphics acceleration do not work. Time Machine, DVD Player, brightness control, and sleep do not work.

Reactions: SmokyMtnHi

SmokyMtnHi

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2016
Look inside (show pkg contents off the right-click menu) your OS X ML installer.app Is the BaseSystem.dmg in there?

You downloaded the OS X Mountain Lion Installer app from Apple and put it in Applications? If so there should be no problem with missing files.

I have the same macbook as you, 2008 macbook 4,1 and I managed to get ML 10.8.5 installed. Beware that ML is not going to be perfect: all the eye candy like the genie effect, shiny dock, and trans. menu work, but most applications that need graphics acceleration do not work. Time Machine, DVD Player, brightness control, and sleep do not work.

Thanks romanaThree! I finally found it as it was a hidden file and required me to make my mac show hidden files. I am installing now. I actually had o buy a legitimate jump drive version because when I purchased from Apple they allowed me to purchase but would not allow me to download on the target Macbook be/ it would not support ML and would not allow me to download on my 2015 MacBook Pro because it was to old a software for that machine :/ After over an hour on the phone, they gave me a refund.

Also thanks for the heads up on the non-operational features. I think that will be OK as my main reason for upgrading to ML is so my son can have the PC version of MineCraft running on it. He has taken a class in modding and coding is excited to use what he has created!

Thanks again for your assistance!

romanaThree

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks romanaThree! I finally found it as it was a hidden file and required me to make my mac show hidden files. I am installing now. I actually had o buy a legitimate jump drive version because when I purchased from Apple they allowed me to purchase but would not allow me to download on the target Macbook be/ it would not support ML and would not allow me to download on my 2015 MacBook Pro because it was to old a software for that machine :/ After over an hour on the phone, they gave me a refund.

Also thanks for the heads up on the non-operational features. I think that will be OK as my main reason for upgrading to ML is so my son can have the PC version of MineCraft running on it. He has taken a class in modding and coding is excited to use what he has created!

Thanks again for your assistance!

Apple should have a checkbox to UNHIDE EVERYTHING & STOP THE WEIRDNESS in Finder. At first, it is really confusing that ~Library is invisible, dotfiles are hidden, and certain magical directories (.app, .pkg) appear as if they were files!

Yeah, I had problems downloading ML from the legit source, too.

MineCraft works?! Isn't that a 3D, graphic intensive game? Chess, DVDPlayer, and Time Machine crash...but Minecraft doesn't?

Huh? I don't understand what you mean by "upgrading to ML so my son can have the PC version of MineCraft."

caincha

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
Yes, i've done it but there is too much info in many posts.
Anyway, i had bad WiFi configuration and now everything is solved. Thanks for answers guys. 10.8.5 successfully installed.
Hi there, can you please share how did you fix your wifi issues?
I've stumble with that too and can't find anything to help me anywhere.
OSX10.8.5 on a MacBook White 2,1 with 2gb mem.
Thanks

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
Is there any Kexts here for OS X Mountain lion for Intel GMA X3100? I have Mavericks installed on a Core 2 duo machine and I want to know if I can get a kext to work for the integrated graphics. Thanks!

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
<snip>

I have the same exact Macbook that you have, running 10.8.5, and have none of these issues. Everything works.

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
I had the 10.8.4 app and am looking to update to 10.8.5 so I can get an iTunes update. Do i just need to replace boot.efi and delete platform support.plist like the old days or what?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.