Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caincha

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
Slightly of topic, but I'm gonna ask anyway: any chance a hack could be made to install Snow Leopad on a PowerBook G4? That would be awesome!! :D
And if anyone can point me to the right direction I would really appreciate :)

BTW: using PostFactor to install ML on 2006 MacBooks for some weeks now, works really great except a tiny bug with the Bluetooth - it works, but if you try to access it on System Preferences, it just crashes…

Keyaku

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2016
Hi everyone!
I'm sorry to show up like this, but I did read an insane amount of forum pages to get by to no avail.

After using MacPostFactor with "Install Small Recovery" unchecked, and after its first reboot, it's now stuck in a boot loop of "Creating MacPostFactor Recovery" and never going into the OS.

The machine I'm working on is a Mac Mini 2,1 (Mid-2007).
What should I do?

I reinstalled OS X on the machine and avoided having "Install Small Recovery" unchecked because, in my experience, it's broken.

Last edited:

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
This thread is so dead and ruined. All I want to do is install ML on my Air 1,1 since it's the last one with graphics acceleration. MacPostFactor DOES NOT work. Years ago the Original MLPostFactor did.

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
This thread is so dead and ruined. All I want to do is install ML on my Air 1,1 since it's the last one with graphics acceleration. MacPostFactor DOES NOT work. Years ago the Original MLPostFactor did.

So go download MLPostFactor. Dosdude1 keeps a copy of 10.8.4 on his file server and MLPostFactor is on the OS X Hackers website

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
So go download MLPostFactor. Dosdude1 keeps a copy of 10.8.4 on his file server and MLPostFactor is on the OS X Hackers website

Actually MLPostFactor is not on the website. the oldest it goes to is 1.0 and that is MacPostFactor. Which still doesn't work.
Luckily I did find 0.3 MLPostFactor in this thread and it does work. I now have Mountain Lion running. You can't update to 10.8.5 though I guess?

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
Actually MLPostFactor is not on the website. the oldest it goes to is 1.0 and that is MacPostFactor. Which still doesn't work.
Luckily I did find 0.3 MLPostFactor in this thread and it does work. I now have Mountain Lion running. You can't update to 10.8.5 though I guess?

No you can't.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Slightly of topic, but I'm gonna ask anyway: any chance a hack could be made to install Snow Leopad on a PowerBook G4? That would be awesome!! :D
Long story short, not possible. Sorry.
BTW: using PostFactor to install ML on 2006 MacBooks for some weeks now, works really great except a tiny bug with the Bluetooth - it works, but if you try to access it on System Preferences, it just crashes…
I had the same problem at first, but fixed it by copying over the Bluetooth.prefpane form Lion.

soul423

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2016
Hello Everyone,

I had a wonderfully running mac Pro 2,1 on Mountain Lion. It was late at night and not thinking I ran the update from the app store to 10.8.5. Now after reboot I see the Apple logo and then I get a spinning wheel and no login screen. I tried running ML PostFactor again but no luck. Has anyone dealt with this, I really don't want to reinstall all of the apps and wipe the drive.
Can anyone please help

junkyjunk

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2016
So where the hell are the actual instructions? I have 10.7.5 with a core 2 duo and nvidia graphics. I also have the os x mountain lion install dmg which is 4.37gb and it is recognized by macpostfactor. I should be able to upgrade...? Where do I find the instructions for this?

This thread is an absolute mess. I'm simply looking for a guide for the EASIEST way to upgrade my 10.7.5 with a core 2 duo and nvidia graphics. I also have the os x mountain lion install dmg (and I also have the 10.8.5 dmg as well for what it's worth). I have no way of getting mountain lion.app from the app store! I've been scouring this thread for an hour!

Last edited:

soul423

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2016
I had a wonderfully running mac Pro 2,1 on Mountain Lion. It was late at night and not thinking I ran the update from the app store to 10.8.5. Now after reboot I see the Apple logo and then I get a spinning wheel and no login screen. I tried running ML PostFactor again but no luck. Has anyone dealt with this, I really don't want to reinstall all of the apps and wipe the drive.
Can anyone please help[/QUOTE]

Disregard.. I got a different drive ran ml postfactor and used data migration to copy apps and files in case anyone else runs into this issue

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
So where the hell are the actual instructions? I have 10.7.5 with a core 2 duo and nvidia graphics. I also have the os x mountain lion install dmg which is 4.37gb and it is recognized by macpostfactor. I should be able to upgrade...? Where do I find the instructions for this?

This thread is an absolute mess. I'm simply looking for a guide for the EASIEST way to upgrade my 10.7.5 with a core 2 duo and nvidia graphics. I also have the os x mountain lion install dmg (and I also have the 10.8.5 dmg as well for what it's worth). I have no way of getting mountain lion.app from the app store! I've been scouring this thread for an hour!

I know it's a HUGE mess. Message me and I can help you out. These threads except for the Sierra one are completely useless.

ArrowFC

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2016
I tried to install ML on my 24" late 2006 white iMac, I tried it with mlpostfactor 0.2.2 and macpostfactor in the newest version but everything i get is a huuuge "OS O" with an boot loop. What can I do?

Thanks!

IMG_0133.jpg
Hi, i have the exactly problem with my iMac 24 2006 with 7300gt using the latest version of MPF but it with the 0.3 it worked perfectly better than 10.7.5 i tried to move the boot efi file from 0.3 to 2.0.1 but nothing i think i need to change for a 7600gt but i can't find one.
Help please!
Sorry for my bad english :/

cyberish

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2013
Hi did you ever find a solution for this?

Since update to Mac OS X 10.8.4 x3100 not working.

Hy,

I had all working 10.8.2 on my macbook3,1. Everything was working perfectly, really everything, had no problem at all.

I had to update my computer because of the latest Xcode to 10.8.4. I download the combo update, installed the packages from the mlpostfactor app, restarted the computer, everything was fine UNTIL: I repaired the disk permissions, and some minutes later it became laggy. So i restarted my computer, then I realised that my graphic card is not working anymore.

If i repair the disk permissions I get this error message:

Permissions differ on “System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources”; should be lrwxr-xr-x ; they are drwxr-xr-x .
Repaired “System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources”

But every time I do it, it's always there.

Do you have any solutions for me?

Stanick

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
I am writing this from MBA 1.1, OSX ML 10.8.5. (via mlpostfactor 0.3)

I followed this tutorial and it worked flawlessly

Only thing not working is Bluetooth audio. Does anyone know how to fix the bluetooth issues? I have downloaded and replaced the bluetooth prefPane file but bluetooth still does not connect to devices...

Luminary Crush

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2017
San Pedro, California, USA
It seems like OSX Hackers have abandoned Mountain Lion installs on older MacBooks. Some of us actually want to run ML because of some of the features added but also because graphics and sleep handling still work in ML on the older Macs. It's been a frustrating batch of hours spent with no positive results thus far.

MacPostFactor 2.10 does *not*work on my Macbook 3,1 A1181 running Lion. I've tried 6 ways 'till Tuesday to get it to work. On reboot to the ML install partition I get flashing Apple logo and question mark folder.

So, fine, let's try the OSX Extractor method. Maybe some love there? Nope! The Mountain Lion Guide instructions for OSX Extractor are... well, wrong, at least for the latest version of it. The downloaded tools do not include those references in the instructions... and in fact, the instructions in places say "Mavericks" so it looks like a copy-paste error from perhaps another set of older instructions. Anyway, they don't apply and reference tools that are not there.

The OSX Hackers tools folder also included tools not mentioned in the Mountain Lion instructions, so I thought I'd go check out another Mac OS X guide, and yes, now I see the directions referencing the appropriate tools (I looked at El Capitan). SO, I try to follow those instructions... the autopatch tool starts, finds the Mountain Lion install app and begins to work on my install partition and... fails. Is there a log file I can look at? I don't know. SO, that didn't work.

I can try to go down the original/manual method outlined in a thread, or try MLPostFactor... do I lose anything there? It says 32-bit when I launch it, and my EFI is 64-bit on the 3,1. I just want to get 10.8.4 running with all the normal bells and whistles working - which seems possible based on some other results.

Probably someone should start a "modern" thread on this topic..?

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
It seems like OSX Hackers have abandoned Mountain Lion installs on older MacBooks. Some of us actually want to run ML because of some of the features added but also because graphics and sleep handling still work in ML on the older Macs. It's been a frustrating batch of hours spent with no positive results thus far.

MacPostFactor 2.10 does *not*work on my Macbook 3,1 A1181 running Lion. I've tried 6 ways 'till Tuesday to get it to work. On reboot to the ML install partition I get flashing Apple logo and question mark folder.

So, fine, let's try the OSX Extractor method. Maybe some love there? Nope! The Mountain Lion Guide instructions for OSX Extractor are... well, wrong, at least for the latest version of it. The downloaded tools do not include those references in the instructions... and in fact, the instructions in places say "Mavericks" so it looks like a copy-paste error from perhaps another set of older instructions. Anyway, they don't apply and reference tools that are not there.

The OSX Hackers tools folder also included tools not mentioned in the Mountain Lion instructions, so I thought I'd go check out another Mac OS X guide, and yes, now I see the directions referencing the appropriate tools (I looked at El Capitan). SO, I try to follow those instructions... the autopatch tool starts, finds the Mountain Lion install app and begins to work on my install partition and... fails. Is there a log file I can look at? I don't know. SO, that didn't work.

I can try to go down the original/manual method outlined in a thread, or try MLPostFactor... do I lose anything there? It says 32-bit when I launch it, and my EFI is 64-bit on the 3,1. I just want to get 10.8.4 running with all the normal bells and whistles working - which seems possible based on some other results.

Probably someone should start a "modern" thread on this topic..?
While I didn't start this thread (Wayne Wong is no longer involved with the project), I will update the site instructions and AutoPatch tool. I will also make note of the issue of MCPF with MLforAll and provide a download link and Instructions to MLPostFactor

Luminary Crush

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2017
San Pedro, California, USA
While I didn't start this thread (Wayne Wong is no longer involved with the project), I will update the site instructions and AutoPatch tool. I will also make note of the issue of MCPF with MLforAll and provide a download link and Instructions to MLPostFactor

Thanks for that.

Is there any further development on MacPostFactor to fix the incompatibilities with Mountain Lion and older MacBooks?

I recently saw a Youtube video from 2016 regarding an older MacBook - original Core Duo (32-bit) where the author installed the latest MacOS, Windows and Linux possible. Ironically, the latest available Windows 10 and the Ubuntu 16 worked flawlessly, while MacOS was stuck in ancient history. The MacBook ran great on everything *but* Mac OS.

While I understand deprecation of the 32-bit processor and code, the older 64-bit MacBooks (Core 2 Duo onward) are all technically quite capable of running Sierra given proper amounts of RAM. The A1181 can accept 6GB, which is plenty.

Is there an active project to address the screen/sleep issues running later versions of MacOS on unsupported MacBooks?

kennedy.greg

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2016
I have MacPostFactor 1.0.1 on a MacMini 2,1 core2duo gma950. It works great. However, I see there's a new version of MCPF, 2.0.1.

I am curious if it is possible to "upgrade" MCPF from 1.0.1 to 2.0.1 without completely reinstalling the OS.

ArrowFC

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2016
Can anyone help me for my iMac with 7300gt ? All versions of macpostfactor won't working except 0.3…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.