Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

halfbad

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2014
Hey all,

Has anyone been able to successfully install on a MacBook Air 1,1, with sleep working? I cannot install via the hard drive only usb. I can install 10.8.5, but brightness and sleep do not work. As in the Mac will not wake from sleep.

I have tried 2.01 and 1.0 and 1.01 successfully but I can never get sleep to work properly, I can use shady, but is there a solution to sleep as that's a deal breaker for me.

Also when I try to install the kext packages from extractor the x3100 ones, it fails at the end of installation.

any ideas?

Last edited:

mhunt407

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2017
Bristol, UK
My experience so far... after a few hours tinkering I managed to get Mountain Lion on my MacBook Pro 2,2 using MPF 1.0.1. I first tried the newer version, it installed fine but wouldn't 're-hack' after updates and caused a boot loop.

1.0.1 worked perfectly though and successfully applied the re-hack after the security updates!

Reactions: howardc64

nama_chari

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2005
Has anyone come across an issue where the MCPF can't see the internal drive. It's a Kingston 120GB SSD in a Mac Mini 2,1.

It's taken me 3 days to get 10.8.5 onto my mac mini. After many many failed attempts, the only way I could get it to work was to clone my internal 10.7.5 drive to an external USB drive, boot to this drive, then install 10.8.4 directly over the cloned copy, then do all the patches and updates (the last security patch would not install though), then clone the OS back to the internal drive.

The OS itself now works well on the Mac Mini, but the problem I have now is that the recovery partition gets all screwed up in the cloning process. The recovery partition does not boot with a big bright yellow error message. I know the recovery partition can be fixed by running MCPF over the drive again. I've done this on an external drive and it worked great. BUT...I can't do this on my internal SSD drive because MCPF fails to see any internal drive at all...the error I get even says that having no internal drive is not really possible!!!

I've tried a number of work arounds to fix the recovery partition, including putting the Mac mini into target disk mode, and using it like an external boot drive connected to an old MacBook. It booted great, but again MCPF could not see the drive at all.

Frustrating

Does anyone have any insights?

Last edited:

nama_chari

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2005
Thought I'd post some pictures, which may or may not make my issue clearer...

Here you can see Macpostfactor not seeing my internal drive:
No drive seen.png

And here is the error message I get when trying to boot into the cloned Macpostfactor recovery partition:
Recovery error screen.jpg

howardc64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
My experience so far... after a few hours tinkering I managed to get Mountain Lion on my MacBook Pro 2,2 using MPF 1.0.1. I first tried the newer version, it installed fine but wouldn't 're-hack' after updates and caused a boot loop.

1.0.1 worked perfectly though and successfully applied the re-hack after the security updates!

Ditto the experience on an iMac 5,1 (technically an iMac 4,1 with C2D CPU upgrade + 5.1 firmware)

1. Got 10.8.5 running using MPF 2.0.1 and Apple's 10.8.5 Installer App. Runs perfectly

2. Did an update and installed 10.8.5 Supplemental Update, OS was clearly not repatched (X1600 GPU shows 6MB rather than 128MB on reboot and many problems such as screen hang when clicking Launchpad that was observed in other posts)

3. Ran Recovery partition and apply rehack. This cause a infinite boot loop to recovery partition even if I explicitly option to boot the 10.8.5 main partition.

Found the previous and decided to do everything with MPF 1.0.1.

Step 1-2 was same (except for using MPF 1.0.1)
Step 3 rehack worked perfectly. Now running 10.8.5 with Supplemental Update. Confirm by About This Mac : TM and © 1983-2015, Under About This Mac -> More Info : OSX 12F2560

Clearly rehack in MPF 2.0.1 for ML has a bug compared to 1.0.1

Last edited:
Reactions: mhunt407

mhunt407

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2017
Bristol, UK
Ditto the experience on an iMac 5,1 (technically an iMac 4,1 with C2D CPU upgrade + 5.1 firmware)

1. Got 10.8.5 running using MPF 2.0.1 and Apple's 10.8.5 Installer App. Runs perfectly

2. Did an update and installed 10.8.5 Supplemental Update, OS was clearly not repatched (X1600 GPU shows 6MB rather than 128MB on reboot and many problems such as screen hang when clicking Launchpad that was observed in other posts)

3. Ran Recovery partition and apply rehack. This cause a infinite boot loop to recovery partition even if I explicitly option to boot the 10.8.5 main partition.

Found this post and decided to do everything with MPF 1.0.1.

Step 1-2 was same (except for using MPF 1.0.1)
Step 3 rehack worked perfectly. Now running 10.8.5 with Supplemental Update. Confirm by About This Mac : TM and © 1983-2015, Under About This Mac -> More Info : OSX 12F2560

Clearly rehack in MPF 2.0.1 for ML has a bug compared to 1.0.1

Excellent news! Glad my post helped - it definitely would seem there is a bug in later versions of MPF. My graphics (same X1600) did exactly the same on MPF 2.0.1 too.

chriz74

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Italy
Use the SFOTT.app to make an Mountain Lion install drive (it's self-explanatory).
When you finished installing apply these patches: Graphics & Audio - Therefore you will need to install the framework files from the 10.8.5 folder by copying and pasting them to the appropriate directory and the other files from this folder (kexts, bundles) by dragging them onto the "Kext Utility" application, which is also included.
The "10.8.5 Installation" folder is not of any interest.

This only works for Mountain Lion 10.8.5. Earlier versions as well as Mavericks (10.9.X) won't work.
If you install the 10.8.5 supplemental update afterwards you will have to reapply the patches described above.

That's "all".

Good luck.

!!! For anybody else: This is only for MacBook Pro 2,2 and may work on an iMac with ATI X1600 graphics. All other machines are covered by MLPF.

Can somebody explain how to reapply the patches after 10.8.5 supplemental update? I used macpostfactor to install 10.8.5 on imac 5,1. After the supplemental update audio and camera don't work and even a USB disk won't open (spinning wheel). I tried to rehack the system from the recovery but that destroyed the installation completely (boots directly to recovery). Thanks

chriz74

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Italy
Can somebody explain how to reapply the patches after 10.8.5 supplemental update? I used macpostfactor to install 10.8.5 on imac 5,1. After the supplemental update audio and camera don't work and even a USB disk won't open (spinning wheel). I tried to rehack the system from the recovery but that destroyed the installation completely (boots directly to recovery). Thanks

For those insterested. I solved it using Macpostfactor v1.0.1

Bogman

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
Yes, I'm requesting help in a three year old post.

The short question is: Is there a functioning Kext for a GMA 950 intel?

The long version:
I have a A1176 mac mini fully modified:
Core 2 Duo Swap
Mini 2,1 EFI Update
SSD
4 GB Ram

This unit is just an old friend that I use to run Kodi on. Kodi version 17 and beyond requires 10.8 or higher. I have done this installed. My video craps out. Is there a fix to keep my old friend running?

Kindest regards

Reactions: Romanesq

cyberish

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2013
I just got finally the calendar app working under MLPF 0.3 (32bit) applying this terminal command:
launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.CalendarAgent.plist

TweaQx3

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2017
Hello

i hope someone can help me.

After i installed yosemite installer with MacPostFactor it reboots and on its install screen comes a popup with "You‘re not running this app in the proper environment" so i can't continue installing Yosemite.

I have a MacBook 3,1 with Intel Dual Core and 4GB Ram.

alexunderboots

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2017
I've just installed 10.8.5 on MacBook2.1 with MacPostFactor 2.0.1. Everything seems to work fine. Except several features:
on local network i can't connect to smb servers. only2 AFP. can anyone help?

ADDvanced

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
Hi, can anyone help me?

I used Mac post factor to patch a USB drive w mountain lion on it. I put it in my iMac and held down option and it shows up as a bootable drive, so I hit enter. Then I see a white Apple logo as it boots, then it disappears and boots off my normal 10.6.8 drive. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Any tips?

Czo

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
Hi, can anyone help me?

I used Mac post factor to patch a USB drive w mountain lion on it. I put it in my iMac and held down option and it shows up as a bootable drive, so I hit enter. Then I see a white Apple logo as it boots, then it disappears and boots off my normal 10.6.8 drive. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Any tips?

Which iMac did you have? (iMac4,1; iMac5,1 etc.) Did you have enough RAM? (2+GB)

ADDvanced

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
Anyone have any ideas? If it shows up as bootable, I'm not sure why it would boot then stop booting half way through.

ADDvanced

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
Update: I tried booting from the USB stick on my mac pro; works perfectly. I get the Mac Post Factor install screen and it wants me to select a disc. This would be perfect if it booted on my iMac 6.1.

Anyone know why the 6.1 isn't liking this verified bootable drive?

Sergio1969

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2017
[QUOTE = "solarix1578, publicación: 22652069, miembro: 1021062"] ¡Hola! He instalado 10.8.2 en mi iMac blanco 24 "2006 con MLpostfactor 0.3 y funciono bien, pero no tengo una actualización oficial de la tienda de Apple (la última actualización de iTunes, combo 10.8.5 no instala ecc). Si intente instalar 10.8.5 con MCPostfactor 1.0.1, después de la instalación tengo una pantalla blanca de la muerte. Con 10.9 Mavericks tengo una instalación correcta, pero mi tarjeta gráfica (nvidia GeForce 76000gt) no es compatible y el sistema no se puede usar, puede ¿Me ayudas por favor? También me gustan los Mavericks y Mountain Lion, pero tengo problemas con la instalación y con el controlador de gráficos. ¿Dónde encontrar los controladores nvidia para geforce 7600gt de 64 bits? ¡Gracias por tu apoyo!

Saludos cordiales [/ QUOTE]
Hola tengo la mismo problema que tu, encontraste una solución. Gracias

uby1

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2018
Update: I tried booting from the USB stick on my mac pro; works perfectly. I get the Mac Post Factor install screen and it wants me to select a disc. This would be perfect if it booted on my iMac 6.1.

Anyone know why the 6.1 isn't liking this verified bootable drive?

Hi ADDvanced,
Looks like a I have the same configuration as you, iMac 24" Late 2006 (iMac6,1) with Nvidia GEForce 7600 GT 256Mo
I have made several try with MPF and external usb disk but it was not really working, never succeed to boot up really.

Then I have tried on the internal disk drive (but on a separate partition of course)
I tried Mountain Lion but without success (it was freezing and rebooting in loop at startup)
I have just managed to install Mavericks on this mac, it is booting and more or less running.
But did not make extensive test so far, what I notice is that the graphic card is recognized but only with 9Mo instead of 256 so performance are not so good of instance launching Safari makes everything blinking
Also I wanted to try Skype (since it's no longer supported with 10.7.5) but it seems the internal mic is not correctly installed
I have updated all software through appstore (even security update) and was able to reboot and it was still running.
So i don't know yet if I will turn it for everyday use but yes I succeed in installing more recent OS X on unsupported iMac.
Amazing job the MPF team has made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.