Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodenbrain

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
Thanks for this. Managed to get 10.8.4 installed on a Mac Mini. Two questions:

Can it be upgraded to 10.8.5, and if so how?

Anyone running this still able to get Contacts to sync with iCloud or iMessages to login with iCloud?

vorob

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Guys, just got my hands on A1211 (C2d+ATI1600). I'm interested in 10.8, but are there any cons? Can't find "not working stuff" list. GPU is fully supported? And what about imessage? It works in such old OS today or not? Thx!

cyberish

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2013
I just came accross this: The Finder app in
"CoreServices" admits to be launched in 32-bit mode. - Is there any advantage or disadvantage in doing so under "MLPF 0.3 32bit " ?

adb1973

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Amsterdam
Guys, just got my hands on A1211 (C2d+ATI1600). I'm interested in 10.8, but are there any cons? Can't find "not working stuff" list. GPU is fully supported? And what about imessage? It works in such old OS today or not? Thx!
Go for 10.9.5 with parrottgeeks patcher. Only for that specific machine with that videocard. That’s 64 bit by the way. Made my machine a very capable workhorse again.

cyberish

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2013
yeah, that's what I did the other day. - Parrotgeek did a decent job! (I installed for that purpose Mavericks on to another partition.)
Actually I did import through the Migration Assistant my documents etc. into Mavericks and it did also somehow copy that glitch that "open with" -> "always open with" won't register. - The OS doesn't remember this preference. Any ideas? Thx

mc_Ant

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2020
Hello friends!
I have imac 4.1, upgraded with t7200 to imac 5.1. Macos10.6.8.
How can i upgrade to macosx10.7 or 10.8. I tried macpostfactor2.0.1, but it wants 10.7 to run. Im stuck. Help please.

howardc64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
I thought I'd try to upgrade a MacBook 4,1 to Mountain Lion. Today I've tried MacPostFactor 2.0.1 and that failed. I've tried "macOS Extractor" and got the USB installer built but the MacBook won't boot from it nor will any of the fixes in their instructions make it work. I just tried MacPostFactor 1.0.1 and can't get past the waiting to click on "Skip Ad". I click on it, it disappears but the screen area goes white and it still says waiting for me to click on it.

Have MB 4,1 and encountered exact same problem with MPF 2.0.1 and 1.0.1

Did manage to get it installed in the following method

- Rather than ext USB installer, I made a 2nd partition on the same Lion drive. Lets call it ML for Mountain Lion

Maybe unnecessary
- MPF 2.0.1 unchecked the box for small recovery (can't remember if I did one click install or use Apple's OS X installer)
- On reboot, OS X Hacker screen comes up, then proceed to build a large recovery. Did this 2x and I thought it was infinite loop. On next reboot, I just booted into the built recovery and eventually gets an error
- Went back to Lion and removed the ML+Recovery partition. Setup a new ML partition to try again

- MPF 2.0.1 using small recovery this time (can't remember if I did one click install or use Apple's OS X installer)
- On reboot, OS X Hacker screen comes up, then proceed to build a small recovery. When this finished, reboots again and proceeded with installing ML

ML is now up but X1300 graphics drivers not running so its horribly slow. Bluetooth icon don't show on the top bar and clicking launch pad hangs the machine. Probably all X1300 related. Seems like MPF 2.0.1 didn't setup graphics properly. I didn't check 64bit X1300 option in MPF. A bit more detective work shows kernel_task is 64bit so the 32bit ML kernel isn't running for some reason and thats the cause of not loading X1300 kexts (was installed)

Last edited:

howardc64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Hello friends!
I have imac 4.1, upgraded with t7200 to imac 5.1. Macos10.6.8.
How can i upgrade to macosx10.7 or 10.8. I tried macpostfactor2.0.1, but it wants 10.7 to run. Im stuck. Help please.

I think need to go through Lion. I've done the exact same upgrade (iMac 4,1 -> T7200 -> iMac 5,1 firmware)

Then went to Lion and onto ML. Quite a lengthy process so I have the partitioned backup. Easiest is to probably get that partition onto your drive somehow. Prob 10-20GB

howardc64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Have MB 4,1 and encountered exact same problem with MPF 2.0.1 and 1.0.1

Did manage to get it installed in the following method

- Rather than ext USB installer, I made a 2nd partition on the same Lion drive. Lets call it ML for Mountain Lion

Maybe unnecessary
- MPF 2.0.1 unchecked the box for small recovery (can't remember if I did one click install or use Apple's OS X installer)
- On reboot, OS X Hacker screen comes up, then proceed to build a large recovery. Did this 2x and I thought it was infinite loop. On next reboot, I just booted into the built recovery and eventually gets an error
- Went back to Lion and removed the ML+Recovery partition. Setup a new ML partition to try again

- MPF 2.0.1 using small recovery this time (can't remember if I did one click install or use Apple's OS X installer)
- On reboot, OS X Hacker screen comes up, then proceed to build a small recovery. When this finished, reboots again and proceeded with installing ML

ML is now up but X1300 graphics drivers not running so its horribly slow. Bluetooth icon don't show on the top bar and clicking launch pad hangs the machine. Probably all X1300 related. Seems like MPF 2.0.1 didn't setup graphics properly. I didn't check 64bit X1300 option in MPF. A bit more detective work shows kernel_task is 64bit so the 32bit ML kernel isn't running for some reason and thats the cause of not loading X1300 kexts (was installed)

Found the solution to macbook 4,1 mountain lion install. Someone already worked out the issues!

One note is where is says "cd to this directory", you have to cd into the unzipped directory where .oipatch.sh is. If you move this script away from this folder or execute the script from another directory, it will not produce a properly booting installer (will show up as bootable, but gets a crossed out sign when booting it)

Used this solution, made a USB installer. Installed ML (10.8.5). My appstore auto updates failed (10.8.5 supplemental and few other items) but was able to manually install these one by one (run appstore to get the list)

- first browser downloaded the security update 2015-006 for mountain lion. Installed and rebooted.
- tried to install 10.8.5 supplement (browser downloaded) and installer say ML partition doesn't qualify (appstore never suggested it again)
- manually installed airport utility and itunes pkg downloaded from browser
- use appstore to do the remainder (remote desktop, appstore 1.0 etc)

After all updates done, ran mllegacygfx.pkg and bingo, kernel is switched to 32b and X3100 drivers loads properly.

Last edited:

alex2724

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2020
Hi, Please excuse my ignorance. I'm
Found the solution to macbook 4,1 mountain lion install. Someone already worked out the issues!

One note is where is says "cd to this directory", you have to cd into the unzipped directory where .oipatch.sh is. If you move this script away from this folder or execute the script from another directory, it will not produce a properly booting installer (will show up as bootable, but gets a crossed out sign when booting it)

Used this solution, made a USB installer. Installed ML (10.8.5). My appstore auto updates failed (10.8.5 supplemental and few other items) but was able to manually install these one by one (run appstore to get the list)

- first browser downloaded the security update 2015-006 for mountain lion. Installed and rebooted.
- tried to install 10.8.5 supplement (browser downloaded) and installer say ML partition doesn't qualify (appstore never suggested it again)
- manually installed airport utility and itunes pkg downloaded from browser
- use appstore to do the remainder (remote desktop, appstore 1.0 etc)

After all updates done, ran mllegacygfx.pkg and bingo, kernel is switched to 32b and X3100 drivers loads properly.
Hello, Please excuse my ignorance. I'm trying to follow the instructions posted by parrotgeek for mountain lion.

I do not understand the command lines. Yes I know :(. For many on here that's the easiest part but I'm not familiar.

It says open terminal. 1st step done found in utilities. 2nd step. cd to the directory created. Ok I entered:

cd downloads then cd nexpostfacto_release_k32u64 (default name and location).

Then it say to run the following but this is where I'm stuck. What should I put in path to install?

An example or video of this process would help tremendously. I'm willing to do a video once I learn I have several macBooks.

./oipatch.sh /path/to/Install\ OS\ X\ Mountain\ Lion.app /Volumes/usbpartitionamehere

If anyone sees this please reply I would appreciate it greatly.

cyberish

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2013
Hi, Please excuse my ignorance. I'm

Hello, Please excuse my ignorance. I'm trying to follow the instructions posted by parrotgeek for mountain lion.

I do not understand the command lines. Yes I know :(. For many on here that's the easiest part but I'm not familiar.

It says open terminal. 1st step done found in utilities. 2nd step. cd to the directory created. Ok I entered:

cd downloads then cd nexpostfacto_release_k32u64 (default name and location).

Then it say to run the following but this is where I'm stuck. What should I put in path to install?

An example or video of this process would help tremendously. I'm willing to do a video once I learn I have several macBooks.

./oipatch.sh /path/to/Install\ OS\ X\ Mountain\ Lion.app /Volumes/usbpartitionamehere

If anyone sees this please reply I would appreciate it greatly.
Hi! in Terminal.app you need to grab each content with your mouse into the Terminal window: 1. oipatch.sh 2. the installer file for Mountain Lion (wherever on your HDD) 3. the ready to go USB stick/card (initialized as Mac OS Journaled) and you'll be fine to get that Parrotgeek installer ready to go on the USB media.

Reactions: alex2724

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Update: macOS Extractor Web Installer has been replaced with a Embedded Installer (140 MB) as a workaround for the ongoing SSL issue.
Please note that macOSE and MacPostFactor are no longer in active development so there is not much that can be done with the limited resources I have now. I highly recommend RMC’s OS X Patcher or Parrotgeeks’s NextPostFacto

passatgt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2011
I was able to update my iMac 6,1 using @parrotgeek1 's NextPostFacto. Only experienced one issue: i wasn't able to boot into the installer from an USB drive. But i created a small partition on my main SSD and booted from that. It works fine.

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 1.40.19 PM.png

alex2724

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2020
ThankHi! in Terminal.app you need to grab each content with your mouse into the Terminal window: 1. oipatch.sh 2. the installer file for Mountain Lion (wherever on your HDD) 3. the ready to go USB stick/card (initialized as Mac OS Journaled) and you'll be fine to get that Parrotgeek installer ready to go on the USB media.

Hi! in Terminal.app you need to grab each content with your mouse into the Terminal window: 1. oipatch.sh 2. the installer file for Mountain Lion (wherever on your HDD) 3. the ready to go USB stick/card (initialized as Mac OS Journaled) and you'll be fine to get that Parrotgeek installer ready to go on the USB media.

Thank you very much! All Good!

Last edited:

GabyF

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2021
- Bonjour/Network Sharing does not work. (Fixed, coming in V0.3, in the mean time, a manual fix is available, see Post #1710)
I installed OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4) on MacBook 3,1 but Network sharing do not works, say Connection Failed.

1. I used MLPostFactor v 0.3
2. Cannot see the solution on Post #1710

So, how to fix it ?

passatgt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2011
Anyone have a fix for iPhoto maps feature? Completely blank for me. Theres a googlemap.html file in the app resources, i think this needs to be fixed. I will check it out if a solution doesn't exists already.

zcream

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
It's not supported because there are no fully functional GPU drivers for 10.9 and newer versions.
Can anyone run xcode 5.1.1 on the ML 8.4 without rebooting? It hangs for a while then reboots. I have MacBook 2,1 core 2 duo 2ghz. Installed via MLpostfactor v0.3

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.