Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DAMNiatx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Guys, did you try Virtual Memory on ipad ?

I just opened 10 tab on safari, without any refresh problem.
Nice..

DAMNiatx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Its fifteen tabs now,
Normally 4 tabs always refresh when i choose other tab. :(

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
is this a cydia app? how does it affect other apps? battery life?

any negative side effects?

DAMNiatx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
is this a cydia app? how does it affect other apps? battery life?

any negative side effects?

I just use it for 2 hours, didn't notice anything about battery life.
Its works great with slightly lag.

Check ipodtouchfans forum for plist file.

mobilebuddha

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
i dunno about your iPad, but my iPad reloads after I open up about 5-6 tabs. especially if i navigate through a few pages on 1 of them. any other tabs definitely reloads as soon as i switch to them. I've not measured scientifically, of course, just basing on my experience.

I don't think 10 tabs use a lot of memory.

p-rice

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Las Vegas
Virtual memory on the the iphone or iPad will wear out your flash storage chip much faster. Stay away from it.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Virtual memory on the the iphone or iPad will wear out your flash storage chip much faster. Stay away from it.

the flash chip will last hundreds if not thousands of years. its the controller that dies - its estimated life is 10 years. the swap file will generally only be 64MB/128MB. its not like its going to be writing to all different sectors continuously..

myoldwatermill

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2010
the flash chip will last hundreds if not thousands of years. its the controller that dies - its estimated life is 10 years. the swap file will generally only be 64MB/128MB. its not like its going to be writing to all different sectors continuously..

I thought the biggest problem with flash memory is that it has a finite amount of read/writes before it dies.

mobilebuddha

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
well, I've enabled it. will let you know if my iPad dies in 6 months. :D

it certainly eliminated the annoying reload issue that safari has though! the way I see it, I would be lying if I won't be buying the next iPad/iPhone revision anyway. Com'on, how many of us told ourselves that we'd keep our 1st gen iPhone for 3-5 years back then? I sure as hell know I did. But as soon as the 3G one came out, I went out and bought it 2 days after the release.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Just installed it. Works great on my iPad and I can finally get the stability and UI of Safari with the true tabbed browsing found in Atomic Web.

paul191919

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
Any other people tried this? Any insight about how will it affect the battery life and the lifespan of the flash drive in the iPad? Thank you for your help!

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
You're really worried about the lifespan of the flash? Do you know anybody who's had a flash device die??? I wouldn't worry about that at all.

DAMNiatx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Any other people tried this? Any insight about how will it affect the battery life and the lifespan of the flash drive in the iPad? Thank you for your help!

Did you see post above yours?,

In my understanding, flash memory will save to use it as virtual memory, even nokia n900 have virtual memory by default. And the lifetime for flash memory will stay long enough just like hard disk when you think about lifetime. Manufactures wouldn't replace harddisk with flash drive if it can't stay as long as a hardisk lifetime. It just dumb to do so.
:)

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Airforcekid said:
Ive been using it on my 3G (iPhone) for months no issues. I background 10 apps at a time.

I want to try. Is there any easier way than doing the editing of the system. Like any programs to do this?

Thanks!

paul191919

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
Did you see post above yours?,

In my understanding, flash memory will save to use it as virtual memory, even nokia n900 have virtual memory by default. And the lifetime for flash memory will stay long enough just like hard disk when you think about lifetime. Manufactures wouldn't replace harddisk with flash drive if it can't stay as long as a hardisk lifetime. It just dumb to do so.
:)

I see. I just install it and I think it works pretty great. Did you notice any impact on battery life?

DAMNiatx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
I want to try. Is there any easier way than doing the editing of the system. Like any programs to do this?

Thanks!

Currently no, you can use iphone explorer to save the plist on lqunch daemon folder.

@paul191919
Still didn't notice anything on battery.

Legolover64

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
Just turned this on - thanks for the heads up!

I tried backgrounding all the apps on the first page of my homescreen. My iPad stalled up and I rebooted :). I guess I shouldn't have gone nuts...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.