Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Has anybody developed an easy way to get the vm working?

Thanks!

You can try this. Not sure if it works on the iPad.

http://gumballtech.com/2010/02/01/cydia-imemory-enhancer/

Really? It's not that difficult to activate VM

- Using iFile, navigate to '/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/', then create a new file and name it 'com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist', set the 'owner' as 'root' and the 'group' as 'wheel', the rest leave them at default.

- Copy the lines below, then go back into iFile and paste them as the content of the earlier created file. Now save the file and close iFile.

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EnableTransactions</key>
<true/>
<key>HopefullyExitsLast</key>
<true/>
<key>Label</key>
<string>com.apple.dynamic_pager</string>
<key>OnDemand</key>
<false/>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>/sbin/dynamic_pager</string>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>

- Now still using iFile, navigate to "/Library/Preferences/" or "/private/var/preferences/" and create a file named "com.apple.virtualMemory.plist" with he same properties as the other one.

- Copy and paste this into the new file, then save it:

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>UseEncryptedSwap</key>
<false/>
</dict>
</plist>

- Now reboot/restart your iPad, and you are good to go.

To check if this is working right, open iFile back up, then navigate to '/private/var/vm/' and see if you have a file called swapfile0 that is 64MB in size.

iThinman

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
This mod is critical IMO. The iPad is just about unusable as a business device for me without it. I cannot be sitting in a meeting embarrassed as web pages reload just because I opened a new window or popped out to view a picture.

It has been extremely stable for me and I was pleased at how well it manages the swp files. I check the folder from time to time and there has never been a rouge entry. Also, the files appear to be flushed and re-created (as needed) following a re-spring which is positive.

Performance is as expected for me and not a disappointment at all. My expectations are not lowered, but rather adjusted. I realize that if I am in atomic browser with 6 tabs open, which is backgrounded, that when I pop out and open up FilterStorm to edit a photo, I am going to experience a bit of lag as it write out the current memory and refills it with the current app.

I can live with those often un-noticeable delays for the value of editing that file, saving it, posting it to Photobucket and then popping back to the atomic browser session with all 6 pages sitting there right where i left them.

Invaluable.

Of course when I explained the part about the browser not reloading to my 10-tab wife, she just looked at me blankly and said..."but I like them to reload...."

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
- Copy the lines below, then go back into iFile and paste them as the content of the earlier created file. Now save the file and close iFile.

Well, I got the entry created, but I can't seem to get to a point where I can paste as the "content". When I tap on the file, I get a white screen with lines...and the file name at the top. Then, I tap on Edit, but the screen still will not let me paste (or type).

????

Should I delete the file until I get this working right? IOW, will the empty file cause a problem?

Thanks!!

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Well, I got the entry created, but I can't seem to get to a point where I can paste as the "content". When I tap on the file, I get a white screen with lines...and the file name at the top. Then, I tap on Edit, but the screen still will not let me paste (or type).

????

Should I delete the file until I get this working right? IOW, will the empty file cause a problem?

Thanks!!

If you run into problems, as long as you did not edit any other files and reboot, just delete the files.

To bad MacRumors doesn't allow attachments. I can just upload the two files and you can just copy and paste the two files.

nickstachio

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2010

????

Thanks!!

You gotta change the Attribute Type from Directory to Regular File.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
You gotta change the Attribute Type from Directory to Regular File.

Thanks...I am rebooting now! Fingers crosses...well...legs...cause I am typing. Anyway. Thanks for the extra detail I missed. I did get an error about being able to parse an empty file...but I suppose this is normal.

Ok...moment of truth...

Amazing!!! The file is there.

How does somebody figure this kind of stuff out?!?!

Thanks!

leons

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2009
Is there an easy way to disable it if you suspect it may be causing problems?

iPadztr

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Pluto avenue
ok guys.. gonna have to try this as well. Just installed iFile and gonna try the above instruction. wish me luck :D

update: Works like a charm.. thanks guys!

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
iPadztr said:
ok guys.. gonna have to try this as well. Just installed iFile and gonna try the above instruction. wish me luck :D

update: Works like a charm.. thanks guys!

Yeah...same here. Can't believe how smooth it is running. Backgrounder actually works. I can't believe how nice it is to leave a web page open, like a post here, go do something wise, come back and it is still there. I have really pushed it, but I haven't had an app quit yet. In fact, I have been surprised to find an app open that I didn't know was open.

I keep waiting for the brick to fall, but so far, this vm hack has breathed new life into my pad! Unless 4.0 introduces something amazing, i think this will help make sure the iPad 1.0 stays useful.

Very, very cool.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Yeah...same here. Can't believe how smooth it is running. Backgrounder actually works. I can't believe how nice it is to leave a web page open, like a post here, go do something wise, come back and it is still there. I have really pushed it, but I haven't had an app quit yet. In fact, I have been surprised to find an app open that I didn't know was open.

I keep waiting for the brick to fall, but so far, this vm hack has breathed new life into my pad! Unless 4.0 introduces something amazing, i think this will help make sure the iPad 1.0 stays useful.

Very, very cool.

I think iPad iOS4 will have a form of virtual memory.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Will this same script work on an original iPhone 4gb? I have one by my bed that I use as a bed side compueter, alarm clock...occasional it goes out and about on my hip...no cell service...just wifi only. But it would be nice to rn the VM on it if it can handle it!

Thanks!

SA22C

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2010
Top Gear Test Track.
Will this same script work on an original iPhone 4gb? I have one by my bed that I use as a bed side compueter, alarm clock...occasional it goes out and about on my hip...no cell service...just wifi only. But it would be nice to rn the VM on it if it can handle it!

Thanks!

I've used the mod on my original iPhone and it's not worth it. The pauses when the page file is read back into memory are far worse than using the phone as-is with 128MB of RAM.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
I am still on 3.2 with vm working great. However, I also have wife's new iPad on 4.2.1 (set free, tethered) as well as an iPhone and itouch both on 4.2.1 and I really do like the multitasking and the whole swaping of files.

Not planning on upgrading my personal pad until the jb and upgrade path is clear, but unless you have reasons to stay on 3.2, u might want to reconsider just upgrading. I have been very pleased with how well it is running on my wife's iPad.

lusheslewis

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Will this work/is it worth installing on my 4.2 JB iPad?

I use iCab Mobile instead of Safari (which I find to be far superior) but it still has to reload web pages when I reopen it quite often (even though it has its own form of VM built in)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.