Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Did you notice any choppiness diversion?

Only start getting chopiness in the usability of the iPad when it starts swapping virtualmemory in and out after the physical ram is used up to the max. Typically I only see this happen when I *intentionally* open up 9+ tabs in Safari or Atomic Browser. In every day usage I would *never* need this many tabs open.. but the upside was that the iPad was still very viable and usable even with all the swapping going on. It felt like a sluggish netbook after 9+ tabs were open.. haha..

g8orballboy

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Ive had VM on for the last few hours and so far so good. No crashes as of yet (knock on wood) and not a single tab reload....(this is really going to help my data usage when using mywi!!!)

plex

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
Just installed it and works great, especially the tabbed-browsing! :)

However, I really don't want to keep Cydia and the other jailbreak stuff on my iPad as I just don't need them right now. Is there any way to remove the jailbreak and actually keep the custom .plist files?

And could it be possible that virtual memory slows down your internet connection? Not sure if my impression's right, but it seems that images and e.g. the App Store are loading a bit slower now.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
Just installed it and works great, especially the tabbed-browsing! :)

However, I really don't want to keep Cydia and the other jailbreak stuff on my iPad as I just don't need them right now. Is there any way to remove the jailbreak and actually keep the custom .plist files?

And could it be possible that virtual memory slows down your internet connection? Not sure if my impression's right, but it seems that images and e.g. the App Store are loading a bit slower now.

How about no

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
I just did this mod and mine us working perfectly

make sure if you have a backgrounder remove the safari on the overrides section

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Well, I've followed the instructions earlier in the thread, but it doesn't seem to be working. No swap files are being created, and apps are still silently closing when it runs out of RAM.

Do the .plist files need to have a special permissions setting?

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Well, I've followed the instructions earlier in the thread, but it doesn't seem to be working. No swap files are being created, and apps are still silently closing when it runs out of RAM.

Do the .plist files need to have a special permissions setting?

Nevermind. I just got iFile and made them through that. I had created the .plist files in TextEdit and transferred them over through Transmit, but obviously that wasn't cutting it.

It's working now. Sweet!

I'll report back any battery or performance issues.

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Question, this is active by default now as long as that .plist file is on my iPad, right? I don't need to do anything to activate it after every reset or respring?

I came upon this trying to figure out how to get iPhoneVM installed, which the dev said had to be activated through doing the Free Memory option in SBSettings every time you restarted the device. Is that the case with this as well, or is it always in effect even through a reboot?

FCDP

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Typically I only see this happen when I *intentionally* open up 9+ tabs in Safari or Atomic Browser..

After having VM implemented for a week, I've started to notice some response issues in Safari, but as mentioned, it only occurs when the number of tabs exceeds available memory. I've had it start to go sluggish at about 7 tabs. It's obvious that the delays are caused by the swap file data.

It's an inconvenience, but then having pages still loaded when outside WiFi coverage and not having it reload is pretty sweet :D.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
I think i got it to work although it seems that the tabs are still loading sometimes. I did get the file to create though so i think I did it right.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
I think i got it to work although it seems that the tabs are still loading sometimes. I did get the file to create though so i think I did it right.

My tabs were reloading until I realized that was due to my Backgrounder override for Safari. Now they just "pop" open. Love it!!

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Holy Crap!!!

It works!!!

So if I run into issues I can simple delete those two files I made?

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Aside from eliminating the need to refresh web pages, what other benefits are there when utilizing this hack?

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Aside from eliminating the need to refresh web pages, what other benefits are there when utilizing this hack?

Programs don't silently quit when you run out of memory.

From a performance perspective, the storage flash is not that much slower than the flash RAM in the device being used for memory. When running multiple programs I find the processor is more of a bottleneck than the RAM or the pagefile.

But the big advantage for me is that I can run as many programs as I want, and stuff doesn't quit when it runs out of memory. If I find that the device is being sluggish, I can quit stuff on my own and not have something shut down randomly on its own, like an IM client when I launch a video, or an IRC chat when I open up Pages.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Programs don't silently quit when you run out of memory.

From a performance perspective, the storage flash is not that much slower than the flash RAM in the device being used for memory. When running multiple programs I find the processor is more of a bottleneck than the RAM or the pagefile.

But the big advantage for me is that I can run as many programs as I want, and stuff doesn't quit when it runs out of memory. If I find that the device is being sluggish, I can quit stuff on my own and not have something shut down randomly on its own, like an IM client when I launch a video, or an IRC chat when I open up Pages.

OIC!!!

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Excuse me if I'm mistaken... won't this sort of VM hack harm your storage memory? I heard of such discussions on the iPhone, is it different on the iPad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.