Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
I really hope this doesn't kill my iPad. Can you do this directly on the iPad without file, or just with the trial version?

Legolover64

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
I really hope this doesn't kill my iPad. Can you do this directly on the iPad without file, or just with the trial version?

You can do it via the iFile trial or with OpenSSH for free!

I applied this hack, and it seems to work alright. Sometimes the iPad locks up though, which gets irritating, and booting takes a while. I wish I could solve this issue.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
You can do it via the iFile trial or with OpenSSH for free!

I applied this hack, and it seems to work alright. Sometimes the iPad locks up though, which gets irritating, and booting takes a while. I wish I could solve this issue.
Yeah. Safari locked up a few times, which was more than annoying, so I'll wait for a more efficient solution.

mobilebuddha

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
weird..

well, here's my setup and observation:

1) I have sbsetting and the "VM patch" thing installed. By VM patch I mean the plist file.

2) I've never experienced -any- crashes or freezes. (there is a slight delay that I experience if I have like 15-16 tabs open and I want to switch to a tab that I haven't used in a long time)

3) I do not have backgrounder installed.

:confused: Yup, I am confused. But this setup works for me. I -am- afraid to install backgrounder now though...

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Another app that screws up VM from working is installing the iPhone "Clock" app found in another thread in this forum. So can't use the clock unless you want lockups. ***IGNORE THIS*** Clock app is fine with VM. Read below.

For all of you having lock up issues, you're using a daemon that isn't compatible with VM, its as easy as that.

Sbsettings will cause you lock ups soon enough, it's not compatible. (Apparently I have no idea what im talking about now because Sbsettings works with VM turned on for me now)

Edit: The clock app does not interfere with VM.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Well i'm astonished... either Sbsettings was updated in the past 2 days or i'm giving up on understanding this but now Sbsettings is working fine with VM turned on. No idea why it is now.. can someone clarify if Sbsettings when the last time it was updated on Cydia?

Nevermind, found out it was updated today! Well whatever they did fixed the issue with VM causing lock ups! Now my iPad is even better.. wowsers.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Sorry for all the random posts, but I do extensive testing on this type of stuff.

Turns out OpenSSH is the root problem to lockups for me now. Everything else that uses a daemon (mobile substrate) is Working perfectly fine and zero lock ups with over 16 tabs!

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2010
Sorry for all the random posts, but I do extensive testing on this type of stuff.

Turns out OpenSSH is the root problem to lockups for me now. Everything else that uses a daemon (mobile substrate) is Working perfectly fine and zero lock ups with over 16 tabs!

Hmmm...quite strange. Having removed SBSETTINGS (even without openSSH ever installed), the iPad with the VM .plist file doesn't lock up - but once installed SBSettings while using VM .plist hack, it crashes!

It's been more than 3 days now - ZERO crashes - this is with me backgrounding a ton of apps and having all 9 tabs open in safari!

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Hmmm...quite strange. Having removed SBSETTINGS (even without openSSH ever installed), the iPad with the VM .plist file doesn't lock up - but once installed SBSettings while using VM .plist hack, it crashes!

It's been more than 3 days now - ZERO crashes - this is with me backgrounding a ton of apps and having all 9 tabs open in safari!

Install today's Sbsettings.. works for me now. Didn't on the previous versions! I'm getting ready to take a screenshot..

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2010
Install today's Sbsettings.. works for me now. Didn't on the previous versions! I'm getting ready to take a screenshot..

I noticed SBSettings and backgrounder are updated today (or yesterday) - i'm going to download and install SBSettings again to see if it makes a difference!

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Iwanted to wait more than 24hrs time to report back in and with sbsettings beta 3.0.12 there have been no lockups and this is with the VM .plist running!!

I'm happy with overall performance. :)

Told ya! Been about 32 hours running straight here with ZERO issues. I can't get any apps to force close due to lack of memory ever now. The only thing that happens is that the ipad gets very sluggish when like 10+ apps are open with 10+ tabs lol... but surprisingly still very useful in this state.

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
Told ya! Been about 32 hours running straight here with ZERO issues. I can't get any apps to force close due to lack of memory ever now. The only thing that happens is that the ipad gets very sluggish when like 10+ apps are open with 10+ tabs lol... but surprisingly still very useful in this state.

Is this easy to f up?

And would doing this via cyberduck be much easier than using ifile?

Is it easily reversed?

So I can now use backgrounded, openssh, and sbsettings safely?'

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
How much shorter is much much shorter than thousands of years?
Doing a quick search:

From less than 2 years ago
Coulson dismisses mean time to failure as an accurate metric for determining drive longevity, and instead says good solid state drives should be able to perform 3,000 8KB writes per second for five years. "Good solid state disks have sufficient life spans for enterprise applications," he said.
http://blogs.computerworld.com/solid_state_disk_life_and_performance_varies_wildly

From 2009:
http://blog.whitesites.com/Intel-SSDs-fast-but-lack-endurance__633706545401656380_blog.htm
e other benefit from no latency is the drive will not suffer performance losses due to defragmentation. However unlike Hard drives which can last for decades. SSD drives memory wears out. If you are planning on running a highly transactional DB server, SSD drives would be fast, though they woud eventually wear out.
implying less than "decades"

Another from 2009:
http://www.techspot.com/news/33683-intel-ssds-having-endurance-difficulties.html
One recent study done with Intel SSDs is showing some strong evidence that some of their SSDs, the X25-M in particular, might have a serious issue with endurance. It appears that after the drives have been subjected to a few months of operation, their performance begins to suffer significantly. It was found that after spending a significant amount of time in a production environment, the drive begins to get heavily fragmented, due in part to the drive's own self-protection mechanism, wear leveling. The end result was a drive that could perform at only a fraction of its original glory, being reduced to speeds vastly lower than even mechanical desktop hard drives.

Regardless, the point is that it is not hundreds and definitely not thousands of wears. I mean I found these after a few sec of google searches and is in the same vein of what i have read in the past regarding ssd endurance

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
Well I just installed vm or whatever and it locked on me when I went to cydia. Grand. Rebooted and was on the apple logo for a good 5 min

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
So I just deleted the file that I made the apple.virtual memory one. Is that ok? Does that get rid of it? I just checked And now I have swapfile0 thru 4. Is that normal? Even after I deleted the apple.virtual memory file ?

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
So I just deleted the file that I made the apple.virtual memory one. Is that ok? Does that get rid of it? I just checked And now I have swapfile0 thru 4. Is that normal? Even after I deleted the apple.virtual memory file ?

Deleting the .plist file does indeed turn off the VM feature.. however since you previously were using VM turned on, it will leave the VM folder there with the swap files. You can go ahead and delete the VM folder with the swap files to free up that space being used up since it's not longer being accessed to clean your system be rid-free of VM.

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
Deleting the .plist file does indeed turn off the VM feature.. however since you previously were using VM turned on, it will leave the VM folder there with the swap files. You can go ahead and delete the VM folder with the swap files to free up that space being used up since it's not longer being accessed to clean your system be rid-free of VM.

Did you notice any choppiness diversion?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.