Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I mean just that - I typed in the code- and nothing came back. Blank. Nothing at all.

Thats odd, I would put your old kexts back restart repair your permissions in disk utility and start over.

The biggest problem I have seen so far is people skipping steps by accident or using copy paste when doing these mods. I have done this many many times now and have helped enough people do it that I know it works so we just have to figure out what in you're case we are missing.

galapas

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
I think your good, give it a shot. I helped another user last night and he got that and it worked. It looks like its just saying dev mode is allowing the modified kext (thats what we want)

Any idea what to try next since that didn't work?

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Thats odd, I would put your old kexts back restart repair your permissions in disk utility and start over.

The biggest problem I have seen so far is people skipping steps by accident or using copy paste when doing these mods. I have done this many many times now and have helped enough people do it that I know it works so we just have to figure out what in you're case we are missing.

I will say - on step #7 - I could not tell if it was 1 or an I or a lower case L.

ioreg -???

When I was on step 7 and I couldn't tell what the hell I was doing, I figured I had better just stop, for fear of really screwing something up.

Thankfully it appears I am back to normal now. Maybe I will get the guts to try this again one of these days.

Sema

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2014
Thanks, I've got it working on my Macbook Air 2011. I didn't have to sign in/out on my iOS devices. But it definetely takes some time and a few Macbook reboots.

sythesigh

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
UK
Ballsed up

Hi, i'm new, and a little stupid, so i've lost my original kext files, and now my bluetooth doesn't work, any chance anybody can give me a copy of theirs? Thanks very much, i feel like such a dimwit... :( :mad:

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I will say - on step #7 - I could not tell if it was 1 or an I or a lower case L.

ioreg -???

When I was on step 7 and I couldn't tell what the hell I was doing, I figured I had better just stop, for fear of really screwing something up.

Thankfully it appears I am back to normal now. Maybe I will get the guts to try this again one of these days.
You can copy and paste the terminal commands that are in code boxes
Code:
like this
its just anything in 0xed I do not recommend copy and paste, infact I forbid it hah I had a guy yesterday do the same thing he put a 1 instead of an l. just take your time and try again. This does take patience because any minor mistake makes it not work and then its a do over.

Thanks, I've got it working on my Macbook Air 2011. I didn't have to sign in/out on my iOS devices. But it definetely takes some time and a few Macbook reboots.
Nice to hear! Im glad it helped and It definitely takes a few reboots. Basically you need your mac and iPhone to handshake.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Thanks, following you guide everything went well, now handoff is enabled :)

Good to hear awesome!

----------

Any idea what to try next since that didn't work?

Hate to say it but drop your original kexts in, repair permissions and start over, I know its a pain but like I said 1 . or , out of place makes this not work at all. I have some time and can help over FaceTime if you feel comfortable posting your FaceTime info here. If not just keep trying. Sorry I don't have a better answer as I am not there to see whats going on

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
These steps worked for me and my Mid-2011 MBA on GM3.

I did not, incidentally, have to sign the iOS devices out of and back into iCloud. Just a reboot sufficed.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
These steps worked for me and my Mid-2011 MBA on GM3.

I did not, incidentally, have to sign the iOS devices out of and back into iCloud. Just a reboot sufficed.

The sign out and In is just to speed up the handshake of iOS and OS X. Sometimes it catches it right away sometimes its a few min... signing out and back in just speeds things up for some.

galapas

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Good to hear awesome!

----------

Hate to say it but drop your original kexts in, repair permissions and start over, I know its a pain but like I said 1 . or , out of place makes this not work at all. I have some time and can help over FaceTime if you feel comfortable posting your FaceTime info here. If not just keep trying. Sorry I don't have a better answer as I am not there to see whats going on

I just left the office to head to a wedding rehearsal or I would post that, but I won't be able to resume efforts till tonight or tomorrow. And I've already done it 1 and a half times, I've got no problem trying again.

To clarify, what do I need to do to repair permissions after dropping in original kexts?

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I just left the office to head to a wedding rehearsal or I would post that. And I've already done it 1 and a half times, I've got no problem trying again.

To clarify, what do I need to do to repair permissions after dropping in original kexts?

GO->Utilities->Disk Utility: select your drive (macintosh SSD or whatever its named or you named it) click first aid then press the repair permissions button. let that finish and start over.

galapas

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
GO->Utilities->Disk Utility: select your drive (macintosh SSD or whatever its named or you named it) click first aid then press the repair permissions button. let that finish and start over.

Oh do I also need to run through those final two terminal commands before repairing permissions?

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Oh do I also need to run through those final two terminal commands before repairing permissions?

yes you should after any time that you drop a kext you should clear the caches. And restart. While the restart isn't technically necessary it doesn't hurt and it gets everything on the same page.

tanglemac

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
What risk is there associated with this command:

Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

Since that lets the system boot with unsigned kexts, are we potentially opening the door to malware modifying kexts in the future and causing problems on our Macs?

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
What risk is there associated with this command:

Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

Since that lets the system boot with unsigned kexts, are we potentially opening the door to malware modifying kexts in the future and causing problems on our Macs?

You would still need to type your password in to allow any "Malware" and personally I don't know of any that go after kexts. All that command is doing is allowing unmodified kext to work. You still need to provide a password to actually allow a kext to be dropped in.

Basically it is the same risk as anytime you type your password in when installing something, unless you know where it came from don't put your password in allowing it. When you install software that needs your password it is changing something in the LIBRARY. Hence the difference between drag and drop installs to APPLICATIONS folder and ones that run a installer that needs a password.

stepir

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Hi UncleSchnitty!

thanks a lot for your guide! Have a MBA mid 2011 here. BT LE is supported and LMP ver is 0x6.

Following your guide I now can enable Handoff from System Preferences.

Unfortunately despite multiple reboot and having signout from bot my MBA and my iDevices I still can see any sign of handoff presence (I'm trying to create email or cal on my iOS but nothing, also no hotspot presence in my wifi list).

I don't think I have to rebuilt permission or reinstall the kext as otherwise I wouldn't have the option to enable it right?

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Hi UncleSchnitty!

thanks a lot for your guide! Have a MBA mid 2011 here. BT LE is supported and LMP ver is 0x6.

Following your guide I now can enable Handoff from System Preferences.

Unfortunately despite multiple reboot and having signout from bot my MBA and my iDevices I still can see any sign of handoff presence (I'm trying to create email or cal on my iOS but nothing, also no hotspot presence in my wifi list).

I don't think I have to rebuilt permission or reinstall the kext as otherwise I wouldn't have the option to enable it right?
Correct If it shows in pref. then you're good to go. You should repair permissions from disk utility (its good practice and knocks something off the troubleshooting list)

Troubleshooting:

1:Make sure your keychain is enabled under Preferences-> iCloud on both devices.

2:Make sure you iDevices have a charge over 25% (sometimes it turns handoff off if battery is too low)

3:Make sure Handoff is enabled under Settings-> General-> Handoff on iDevices

4:Make sure they are on the same wifi network and bluetooth is on on all devices.

stepir

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Correct If it shows in pref. then you're good to go. You should repair permissions from disk utility (its good practice and knocks something off the troubleshooting list)

Troubleshooting:

1:Make sure your keychain is enabled under Preferences-> iCloud on both devices.

2:Make sure you iDevices have a charge over 25% (sometimes it turns handoff off if battery is too low)

3:Make sure Handoff is enabled under Settings-> General-> Handoff on iDevices

4:Make sure they are on the same wifi network and bluetooth is on on all devices.

Permission repaired. All the rest of the checklist is good... unfortunately still no sign of handoff :(

JLWilliams2831

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
I've tried this twice and have been unable to get the handoff to show up in general settings. Is their anything I am doing wrong??

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Permission repaired. All the rest of the checklist is good... unfortunately still no sign of handoff :(

Restart your devices a couple times. Its really all I got for you. Give it time if its an option there is no reason it shouldn't work.

John6Plus

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Holland, MI
It was very much on purpose(hence the blacklisting). Basically in 2011 they were using updated cards in the mini and air, these cards had bt4.0le. However the MacPro and Macbook air at that point did not. So that people who spent $3,000 on a computer wouldn't have less features than a person who spent $400 they blacklisted the Minis and Airs.

It may not sound fair but at the same time I see why they did it.

Is that speculation or confirmed? Cuz it seems kinda dumb. Would anyone really begrudge people with a different Mac model some benefits? I'll trade them my mini if it'd make them feel better :)

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Is that speculation or confirmed? Cuz it seems kinda dumb. Would anyone really begrudge people with a different Mac model some benefits? I'll trade them my mini if it'd make them feel better :)

Speculation based on what these kext edits do. They have created a "black list" in the actual kext, thats what you are doing in step 20. The code you are editing is one that is saying "DO NOT ALLOW HANDOFF ON THESE DEVICES". Then you look at why those? Because they are the "cheap models" that could allow handoff when the expensive MacPros and Macbook pros didn't get those cards for at least another year, after they did thats when Airs work OTB.

So speculation... with a lot of research behind it;). You will never get a confirmed reason from apple for this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.