Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinwo

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2014
NYC
Why not just use short cuts?

http://youtu.be/kupaKfm0UUU

iOS Keyboard Shortcuts are definitely awesome. However, my objective with the TextBoard feature of QuickBoard is to make managing and inserting multi-line text much simpler (e.g. letter templates, signatures, directions, etc.).

Also, as mentioned in the article, TextBoard is just one of three main features. MeBoard helps insert and fill out contact/billing info where autofill is not present. LocationBoard gets your current location and allows you to insert it in quickly as a Google Maps URL, approximate address, or coordinates.

Last edited:

di1in

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
This is actually a really good idea. If and When I get the iPhone again, this will definitely be a must-have for me.

I can definitely see myself using this. Great idea!

Of all the third party keyboards, this one interests me the most. All the rest just seem like variations on a theme. This is a pretty fresh idea.

You can do the same thing in a much easier way on existing and previous OSes by using the built-in text shortcuts on your mac. All those shortcuts are automatically carried over to your iOS device.

Vinamra

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Forgive me for my ignorance, but with the ability to use 3rd party keyboards in iOS 8, we'll first have to install the app and then grant permissions to the app to be accessed in other apps? If that's the case, Apple better be making 32GB minimum!

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
Great, great questions.

4. Your text clips, your contact info, your current location - not a single bit of it leaves the device and goes nowhere without your insertion. Your data only exists between QuickBoard and the app into which you choose to insert your text/contact info/location.

Yes, But what about security for say when a guest using my ipad and goes to safari and there is.. all my sensitive data in the keyboard. Will there be password system (if so the user desire) for when using text clips?

And I also asked about 'Clipboard' section. So that, any text I copy will be store to a temporary place from where I can easily add it to my 'Permanent' QuickBoard section. What about it? Thanks!

Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I used the HanxWriter , and the bigger keyboard did magic with easier typing. I tried to type like I was using a keyboard and it worked!

May a bigger keyboard is the answer for a better keyboard. Also numbers and common symbols should be on the 1st keyboard not hidden behind the letters

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
I only have a few... most notably..

pub = I'd really like to go to the pub. I have the thirst of a million camels. Would you like to partake in a beverage or 2 with me

So if you ever type the word pub and don't mean that don't you then have to unselect or undo this?

In any case once you have more than about 3 things it's hard to remember. I have half a dozen key phrases for texts as abbreviations but it's still a PITA, and I prefer the android equivalent I used to have where you could just call up a list of stock phrases and tap to choose eg "on my way" "be there in 5" "where are you" etc etc without needing to remember abbreviations or undo unwanted substitutions all the time.

----------

Yes, But what about security for say when a guest using my ipad and goes to safari and there is.. all my sensitive data in the keyboard.

What sensitive data? Only what you choose to use in the app. I'm presuming your guest would know your name, phone number and address or at least you wouldn't mind them knowing if you are lending them your iPad?

I think this is a non issue, the contacts app has no password and all that data would be accessible. If there is something really sensitive, say bank account details, you shouldn't put that in in the first place.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
When can it get easier??

When you make the keys larger. Much larger. Pray for 4.7" and 5.5" to fix this!!

The main reason why I'll buy next iPhone is for a larger screen -> larger keyboard.
I don't think I'll need third party keyboards with the new screen size :)

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Lol, wow. Ever heard of Android?

Yep. When I got my Samsung Galaxy Tab, it took me about 10 minutes after the unboxing to realize that I had to buy a third-party keyboard to do what the iOS keyboard does out of the box, because the Android version supplied with the tablet did not have useable support for Japanese characters.

That is why I am also a bit skeptical about third party keyboards. I don't want Apple to become lazy about maintaining/improving the built-in keyboard, just because now "there is an app for that".

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Yep. When I got my Samsung Galaxy Tab, it took me about 10 minutes after the unboxing to realize that I had to buy a third-party keyboard to do what the iOS keyboard does out of the box, because the Android version supplied with the tablet did not have useable support for Japanese characters.

That is why I am also a bit skeptical about third party keyboards. I don't want Apple to become lazy about maintaining/improving the built-in keyboard, just because now "there is an app for that".

The drawback of iOS is if Apple doesn't allow a feature you WONT have it. At least with Android you can what you want. I don't mind playing a dollar for a keyboard I really like! Besides, I love the swype keyboard on my GS4. You know, the one Apple is only next month going to implement because they recognize they are again behind.

Boston007

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
SwiftKey

Is this similar to SwiftKey?

SwiftKey was an app I missed TREMENDOUSLY when I went back to the iPhone.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
I use TextExpander, and sincerely hope they bring this feature to iOS. I like having it all synced.

73b

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
East Coast
Forgive me for my ignorance, but with the ability to use 3rd party keyboards in iOS 8, we'll first have to install the app and then grant permissions to the app to be accessed in other apps? If that's the case, Apple better be making 32GB minimum!

I think it will work like having different languages active at the same time. You use the app to install the keyboard into the iPhone's available "keyboards" menu. After that, the app is no longer necessary, and the keyboard can be activated an accessed through the globe icon.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
The drawback of iOS is if Apple doesn't allow a feature you WONT have it.

Yep. Heard that argument many times. My counter-argument is: If you can do something, then sooner or later you will have to do it.

And I provided the perfect example. On iOS, I haven't been able to install 3rd party keyboards so far, but I have never felt the need to. On Android, I can install 3rd party keyboards, and within minutes of unpacking my Android tablet, I had to install a 3rd party keyboard. The argument is always that Android gives you a choice, but actually, it didn't. I had no choice. I had to install a 3rd party keyboard.

I get into the same discussion every time when someone complains about not being able to access the file system on iOS devices. True, I can't. But I have never felt that I wanted to. If I could, then sooner or later I'd end up with an app that would force me to do it. What seems like a nice option sooner or later becomes a must. Always.

It took me about an hour to find the keyboard that to a certain extent did what I needed. An hour of my free time that I could have spent with my hobbies or my family. I price one hour of my free time at $100, so don't tell me that this 3rd party keyboard was cheap. It was shockingly expensive! It's cheap only for people who have an abundance of free time and who don't put a high value on their free time. Apple saves me time by giving me less choices and instead something that works well enough out of the box. Could it work even better? Yes. Of course. Stuff like Swype is amazing. But I personally prefer "good enough for me" over "not good enough, but we give you the option to fix it yourself in your own free time".

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
I guess I really don't understand the full benefit of this? While I certainly see some benefit (like the location), while watching the video and reading the article I feel I can do 90% of this already on my iPhone using Keyboard Shortcuts or something else iOS7 has built into it.

Though I can see some benefit in adding addresses or signatures really quickly. Though for me, I am hardly ever typing the same exact multiline text, and if I do type something the same it usually requires a totally different tone so I wouldn't want to risk of falling into the trap of "copying and pasting" the same information when in the end the tone needed to be different. But I can see this being useful for some people.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.