Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Yep. When I got my Samsung Galaxy Tab, it took me about 10 minutes after the unboxing to realize that I had to buy a third-party keyboard to do what the iOS keyboard does out of the box, because the Android version supplied with the tablet did not have useable support for Japanese characters.

That is why I am also a bit skeptical about third party keyboards. I don't want Apple to become lazy about maintaining/improving the built-in keyboard, just because now "there is an app for that".

Yep. Heard that argument many times. My counter-argument is: If you can do something, then sooner or later you will have to do it.

And I provided the perfect example. On iOS, I haven't been able to install 3rd party keyboards so far, but I have never felt the need to. On Android, I can install 3rd party keyboards, and within minutes of unpacking my Android tablet, I had to install a 3rd party keyboard. The argument is always that Android gives you a choice, but actually, it didn't. I had no choice. I had to install a 3rd party keyboard.

I get into the same discussion every time when someone complains about not being able to access the file system on iOS devices. True, I can't. But I have never felt that I wanted to. If I could, then sooner or later I'd end up with an app that would force me to do it. What seems like a nice option sooner or later becomes a must. Always.

It took me about an hour to find the keyboard that to a certain extent did what I needed. An hour of my free time that I could have spent with my hobbies or my family. I price one hour of my free time at $100, so don't tell me that this 3rd party keyboard was cheap. It was shockingly expensive! It's cheap only for people who have an abundance of free time and who don't put a high value on their free time. Apple saves me time by giving me less choices and instead something that works well enough out of the box. Could it work even better? Yes. Of course. Stuff like Swype is amazing. But I personally prefer "good enough for me" over "not good enough, but we give you the option to fix it yourself in your own free time".

We had to wait years to get copy, cut and paste for iOS. Apple couldn't have just done it? It was obsurd. Swype has been out forever.

iOS is for you.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
You can do the same thing in a much easier way on existing and previous OSes by using the built-in text shortcuts on your mac. All those shortcuts are automatically carried over to your iOS device.

and then I'd have to constantly remember what each shortcut means.

Sure you could do it that way, but this is more manageable.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Yep. Heard that argument many times. My counter-argument is: If you can do something, then sooner or later you will have to do it.

And I provided the perfect example. On iOS, I haven't been able to install 3rd party keyboards so far, but I have never felt the need to. On Android, I can install 3rd party keyboards, and within minutes of unpacking my Android tablet, I had to install a 3rd party keyboard. The argument is always that Android gives you a choice, but actually, it didn't. I had no choice. I had to install a 3rd party keyboard.

I get into the same discussion every time when someone complains about not being able to access the file system on iOS devices. True, I can't. But I have never felt that I wanted to. If I could, then sooner or later I'd end up with an app that would force me to do it. What seems like a nice option sooner or later becomes a must. Always.

It took me about an hour to find the keyboard that to a certain extent did what I needed. An hour of my free time that I could have spent with my hobbies or my family. I price one hour of my free time at $100, so don't tell me that this 3rd party keyboard was cheap. It was shockingly expensive! It's cheap only for people who have an abundance of free time and who don't put a high value on their free time. Apple saves me time by giving me less choices and instead something that works well enough out of the box. Could it work even better? Yes. Of course. Stuff like Swype is amazing. But I personally prefer "good enough for me" over "not good enough, but we give you the option to fix it yourself in your own free time".

This is too anecdotal. Your argument here is basically "I had to! That means that my case applies to EVERYBODY!".

I have a Galaxy S4, and for the longest time I just used the stock keyboard. I switched to 3rd party a few times, and now that I have the GPe ROM installed, I constantly switch between using the stock Google keyboard or the LG G3 keyboard. I haven't nor need to use a different keyboard. I still use the stock Google keyboard constantly. If I were present my argument as you have presented yours, then my argument would basically be "Since I don't have to use a 3rd party keyboard, NOBODY has to ever use a third-party keyboard".

Or we can look at the file manager situation. In all my years of having Android, since 2012, I've NEVER had to have a file manager. I've had friends who have been on Android for YEARS who have never even touched a file manager. I have one installed because sometimes I like to go make custom modifications to files myself, but most of those modifications I can do through apps that do the work for you, or I could just wirelessly manage the file system or just do it via USB on my computer.

You already claim that Apple's keyboard already does enough for you, so then why are you upset that others can choose? Since I jailbroke in iOS 7 and installed iSwipe, I've come to rely on it for one handed use. Apple's stock keyboard doesn't come with that automatically. It never has. It's not something that I absolutely have to have to be able to use my phone and I could live without it, but now that iOS 8 lets me choose my keyboard, I can now get the features I want that Apple has yet to provide.

Also 1 hour = $100? Really? I doubt anyone is really that important that 1 hour is a $100 loss/gain.

You're taking all of this way too close to home. It's a giant anecdotal argument, which are never good.

Douglas B

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
Sydney
Slide to unlock.

I'm guessing that Apple will not allow 3rd party keyboards to be used on the lock/unlock screen. If Apple does allow them here then keyboards such as this one will need to think of security. i.e. can people pull up important blocks of your text without even unlocking your phone?

For me, I just use Apple shortcuts. Can't remember them all? Don't load in 20 at once. Load in 3, get used to using them, as you find your self repeating text, create a new shortcut.

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
So you know iOS is better, but you've never used Android? You're really making quite a case for your opinions.

Actually, I had the Motorola Droid before I got the iPhone 4 on Verizon. So, yes, I know what the android devices are. They are not good.

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
Well you seem very objective. My Android phone is "not good." I wish I'd known this whole time.

The main thing that kills android devices are its own devices. There are too many! The fragmentation is horrible... X has OS this Y has OS that.. every phone has a different OS and ruins the experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.