Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Your rom files should have an extension that matches their console, for example .gba or .nds. If you shove all these files in iCloud you can then load them from Delta.
The ones I got from Vimm for Nintendo (with Apple logo) have .app extension. Should I be looking for x64/Windows extensions on Vimm?

aloysiusfreeman

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
The ones I got from Vimm for Nintendo (with Apple logo) have .app extension. Should I be looking for x64/Windows extensions on Vimm?
Delta app will recognize any .zip file. No need to uncompress the files.

I'm not sure what you are getting with .app extensions, you should just find a game you want and get the .zip file.

aloysiusfreeman

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
It's not a positive moment. Apple is now facilitating illegal activities, allowing people to play pirated games.

Apple actually made a conscious decision to allow this, so I wonder what the lawyers of Nintendo will have to say about this.
I'm just confused by this mentality. Emulators have been a thing forever, including on other Apple computers.

And all this worrisome on Nintendo. They are a massive, healthy company. All of the games I've picked up are games that are not part of their Nintendo Switch Online catalog, they are from a console that has been discontinued for 20 years and games that are only available through ebay that would not be revenue for Nintendo or the developers. If Nintendo cared about it, then they could still provide the product that people want (and yes, I acknowledge that many popular titles are still available on NSO).

Regardless, I'm still confused by this weird sanctimonious defense for Nintendo in these recent conversations. It's not like a Switch emulator is available that will directly affect Nintendo and developers.

Reactions: Abstract

Salt City Ute

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2018
Salt Lake City, Utah
I have all the real systems, all the real carts and an actual CRT to play them on, so this means absolutely nothing to me. Even if I didn't have the aforementioned, I still wouldn't care because playing them on a tiny smart phone with touch controls would be about as fun (for me) as trying to twist a screw into an un-drilled plank of solid ebony with a butter knife.
Who brought Mr. Happy to the party!

Salt City Ute

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2018
Salt Lake City, Utah
I don’t think Apple decided that. I think people, with their money, decided that.

If one was trying to make the point that, “It’s not because people didn’t buy the games that Capcom hasn’t continued development,” then that’s the kind of thing one would make up. As it is, Apple provided the same level of support that they provide to any developer that’s paid their $99 and the fact is that there’s not enough folks that want to buy and play RE Framework games on iOS/iPadOS/macOS devices to make it work Capcom’s time (if Capcom has no future plans that is. If it’s been profitable, then they may release something months after this was written).

I mean, look at Delta… it’s proof that a lot of the folks interested in this type of gaming is not interested in paying anything more than “free” for it. Free won’t make Capcom very much money at all, and they ARE in business to make money.
I disagree. I would happily buy older Capcom games originally published on Nintendo or SNES platforms on iOS. I have several of them on my Playstation account.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
Nintendo are hypocrites by not liking emulators considering they use emulators themselves on the Switch to run the retro games anyway.

If they released a polished app whether on the app store or steam etc and actually provided old retro games for a small fee that also had achievements I'd buy it and I bet quite a few would, but Nintendo being the extremely stubborn company that they are is just leaving easy money on the table. Same goes for all the modern games they do, here we are with Sony porting games to PC which a few years ago I would have never seen coming, but Nintendo as usual is stuck in their old ways. If Nintendo isn't careful then they will be going the way of Sega one day.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

aloysiusfreeman

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
Nintendo are hypocrites by not liking emulators considering they use emulators themselves on the Switch to run the retro games anyway.

If they released a polished app whether on the app store or steam etc and actually provided old retro games for a small fee that also had achievements I'd buy it and I bet quite a few would, but Nintendo being the extremely stubborn company that they are is just leaving easy money on the table. Same goes for all the modern games they do, here we are with Sony porting games to PC which a few years ago I would have never seen coming, but Nintendo as usual is stuck in their old ways. If Nintendo isn't careful then they will be going the way of Sega one day.
The Nintendo Switch is one of the best selling consoles of all time.

If Nintendo had an app that had access to their entire catalog of games that would be amazing (so long it was priced respectfully), but the lack of one is not going to bring down Nintendo to Segas level.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It's (only) available via AltStore PAL in the EU. I subscribed to the store (for like 1,79€ for a year that seemingly covers the core technology fee and hosting costs), but it's only available on the iPhone as the EU didn't enforce alternative app marketplaces on the iPad. So US Apple App Store customers still get a superior experience. Not what the EU wanted to achieve, hm?
Because Apple couldn’t apply these changes to iPad OS unless the EU forced them to? Then how come they made changes in the US (like allowing game streaming apps) without being forced to by a court or the government.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Been seeing YT videos covering these type of handheld emulators (various brands). They look promising and offer multiple platforms. However, it is another device you carry along. Touch controls suck so I would opt for this, a nintendo switch, or mod an older gameboy with the updated backlit screen, etc.

Reactions: aloysiusfreeman

ACHD

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2015
Because Apple couldn’t apply these changes to iPad OS unless the EU forced them to? Then how come they made changes in the US (like allowing game streaming apps) without being forced to by a court or the government.
lol.... there's multiple anti trust stuff going on against apple in the US right now

aloysiusfreeman

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
I'm gonna have to buy a new BackBone Controller with USB-C to fully enjoy this.
I have yet to try it out with my Backbone controller, but I'd imagine it would be an incredible improvement. It can be a bit cumbersome to play some N64 titles.

Delta app would certainly bolster the investment of a backbone controller though - especially if you have other mobile titles or any stream services like Game Pass or Playstation Remote Play

Reactions: Gengar

Mischievous_Surf

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2018
The emulator works extremely well. Any game I've thrown at it works with no issue

As a side note, the number of times is I've had to restart my phone because the File app just straight up freezes or doesn't have any of the folders listed when loading up the ROMs is frustrating.

Anybody else having this issue?

aloysiusfreeman

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
The emulator works extremely well. Any game I've thrown at it works with no issue

As a side note, the number of times is I've had to restart my phone because the File app just straight up freezes or doesn't have any of the folders listed when loading up the ROMs is frustrating.

Anybody else having this issue?
I have not encountered this. Does the whole phone freeze or just the File app? Couldn't you just close it and reopen it?

Samplasion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2022
Alt stores should be an option, not mandatory, in EU you are forced to use its alt store to get the app. Shame on dev.
Developers have a choice as well... y'know. In this particular instance I would've liked to have Delta on the App Store (seeing as Apple's idiotic CTF makes AltStore PAL cost 1,50€/year) but I'd rather not play Delta and have options than the opposite.

Mischievous_Surf

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2018
I have not encountered this. Does the whole phone freeze or just the File app? Couldn't you just close it and reopen it?
Just the Files app itself and several times of me killing the Files app. The only thing that seems to fix it is restarting the phone.

I can't figure out what causes it because at times the Files apps works fine and then others it just doesn't respond

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.