Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Biancaneve_91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
I bought my IPhone 11 last Friday and I’ve already been thinking about giving it back. Since the first minute of its use I’ve been having eyes strain, headache and sometimes even nausea. When I don’t use it the feeling goes away and when I start to use it again it comes back. I’m pretty sad about this because I really like the phone but I don’t think it worth it.
I already turn off the Face ID, reduced the intensity of the whites, reduced movements, but I’m still having problems. Obviously it’s not my first IPhone. I’ve had an IPhone 4, 6s, IPad 4, used various Macs and have never had anything.
It doesn’t even have the OLED screen so I can’t explain why is this happening.
Has anybody else been having similar problems?

zehcnassurfero

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2019
I bought my IPhone 11 last Friday and I’ve already been thinking about giving it back. Since the first minute of its use I’ve been having eyes strain, headache and sometimes even nausea. When I don’t use it the feeling goes away and when I start to use it again it comes back. I’m pretty sad about this because I really like the phone but I don’t think it worth it.
I already turn off the Face ID, reduced the intensity of the whites, reduced movements, but I’m still having problems. Obviously it’s not my first IPhone. I’ve had an IPhone 4, 6s, IPad 4, used various Macs and have never had anything.
It doesn’t even have the OLED screen so I can’t explain why is this happening.
Has anybody else been having similar problems?

It is iPhone 11 or 11 Pro?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Very interesting never heard LCD panels causing any side effects like that.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Probably a coincidence. Maybe you had some other issues going on (bug or something) and looking at the phone makes it worse. Do you have another phone you can try for a day to see what happens?

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I have the exact same issue. So do a "lot" of people on here too. I made a post about it and there's one that's like 18 pages long of people having headache's from the XR.

Biancaneve_91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
Probably a coincidence. Maybe you had some other issues going on (bug or something) and looking at the phone makes it worse. Do you have another phone you can try for a day to see what happens?
I don’t think so. I usually don’t have headaches, I have a bit sensitive eyes, but come on, not this much. Until the day before I bought this phone it was ok and even now when I use my IPad everything is ok. It starts only when I use it and step by step goes away when I don’t. So...
[automerge]1572905868[/automerge]
I have the exact same issue. So do a "lot" of people on here too. I made a post about it and there's one that's like 18 pages long of people having headache's from the XR.
But do you have an XR? Because I’ve read the thread, however, it was based on OLED screens, I’ve done some research and IPhone 11 doesn’t have one.
[automerge]1572906109[/automerge]
Sorry, I’ve read XS not XR. So it is not because of the OLED screen. Have you figured out the reason or solved the problem?

Last edited:

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
My eyes tend to hurt and feel uncomfortable after a while with my pro max.

Im not sensitive to OLED either. Had a Galaxy S7 for two years and never had an issue.

It’s odd.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I don’t think so. I usually don’t have headaches, I have a bit sensitive eyes, but come on, not this much. Until the day before I bought this phone it was ok and even now when I use my IPad everything is ok. It starts only when I use it and step by step goes away when I don’t. So...
[automerge]1572905868[/automerge]

But do you have an XR? Because I’ve read the thread, however, it was based on OLED screens, I’ve done some research and IPhone 11 doesn’t have one.
[automerge]1572906109[/automerge]

Sorry, I’ve read XS not XR. So it is not because of the OLED screen. Have you figured out the reason or solved the problem?
There is a LONG one on the x and a shorter one on the XR. Should be on the first or second page.

It's definitely not in your head. I have the same issues as you, but no nausea. No one has found a fix except to go back to their 7+ or 8+ unfortunately. You can't just get used to this it doesn't seem.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I’m back on the pro max and while i don’t get headaches, and really my eyes don’t bug me either, I do get a ‘warm’ feeling and my stomach gets queasy. Not a ‘need to vomit’ feeling, just nauseous. Surely if it was pwm I’d have more symptoms than just that, right?

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
My eyes tend to hurt and feel uncomfortable after a while with my pro max.

Im not sensitive to OLED either. Had a Galaxy S7 for two years and never had an issue.

It’s odd.
I had no issues with the Galaxy s4,5,7,8 but I had to return my max after a weekend. No issues with my iPhone 8+, but my 11 is causing me the same headaches I had on the max. Something is up
[automerge]1572909050[/automerge]
I’m back on the pro max and while i don’t get headaches, and really my eyes don’t bug me either, I do get a ‘warm’ feeling and my stomach gets queasy. Not a ‘need to vomit’ feeling, just nauseous. Surely if it was pwm I’d have more symptoms than just that, right?
Give it a week and see if the other symptoms come by Thursday? This sucks

Biancaneve_91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
There is a LONG one on the x and a shorter one on the XR. Should be on the first or second page.

It's definitely not in your head. I have the same issues as you, but no nausea. No one has found a fix except to go back to their 7+ or 8+ unfortunately. You can't just get used to this it doesn't seem.
I’ve read the second one since you wrote that and I understand that probably I will have to change it for an 8 plus as well. Tomorrow I am seeing a friend of mine and she has an 8 Plus. I’ve never used it so I want to try to use it for like 10-20 minutes and see if it gives me also some problems or it would be fine.
[automerge]1572909184[/automerge]
I had no issues with the Galaxy s4,5,7,8 but I had to return my max after a weekend. No issues with my iPhone 8+, but my 11 is causing me the same headaches I had on the max. Something is up
[automerge]1572909050[/automerge]

Give it a week and see if the other symptoms come by Thursday? This sucks
It’s exactly what I thought of doing. You really read in my mind. If until Thursday it won’t get better than I will just return it because even if the phone seems to be like omg amazing it just doesn’t worth it.

Reactions: tonybarnaby

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I'm typing this on a 6.2" 720p Android with no issues. The XR/11 is 6.1" and 828p. So by my logic, that rules out headache being caused by low resolution.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Biancaneve_91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
I don’t know what pwm symptoms would be like so can’t answer to that. However the feeling you described is exactly what I feel every time I use this phone.

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
There are a couple of options in the settings under Accessibility that you should try - Reduce Motion and Reduce Transparency. Also stay away from dark mode, white text on a black background strains the eyes much more than the other way around (in my view).

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
There are a couple of options in the settings under Accessibility that you should try - Reduce Motion and Reduce Transparency. Also stay away from dark mode, white text on a black background strains the eyes much more than the other way around (in my view).
Good advice. Unfortunately I have yet to see even one person who had pain from their 11/XR and be able to continue to use it. Everyone ends up giving it away or trading it in it appears.

Biancaneve_91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
Thanks for the suggestion. I didn’t know it was worse, usually it’s suggested to turn on the dark mode because it’s milder for the eyes. So I’ll try to use the Clear mode again.
Meanwhile the other two opinions are already on.

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
usually it’s suggested to turn on the dark mode because it’s milder for the eyes.

Dark mode is not milder for the eyes. When you turn on dark mode, the display is emitting less light overall, so our eyes adapt, the iris opens and lets more light into the eye. Now, when you're focusing on text that is white and extremely bright and presents an incredibly high contrast to the background, it's not easy on the eyes at all. For me it almost feels like the letters burn into my retina, which is why I never use dark mode.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Dark mode is not milder for the eyes. When you turn on dark mode, the display is emitting less light overall, so our eyes adapt, the iris opens and lets more light into the eye. Now, when you're focusing on text that is white and extremely bright and presents an incredibly high contrast to the background, it's not easy on the eyes at all. For me it almost feels like the letters burn into my retina, which is why I never use dark mode.
This is one of my theories on the 11, but dark mode feels amazing on the 8+ so who knows

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.