Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
The unfortunate thing is, I have yet to see even ONE person who had pain from their XR/11 and was able to get to a point they had no pain. Most people who have pain from their OLED phone either get rid of the phone or learn to deal with it.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Has anybody else been having headaches and/or nausea with IPhone 11?

Only when reading selected threads on forum or certain .... tweets using my iPhone 11 Max Pro. Don’t think it’s related to the OLED screen though as viewing other content does not elicit those symptoms.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Got my iPhone 11 on release day and have been using it quite a lot. No headaches or other side effects to report.

Rafammx

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2012
Mexico
I’ve noticed something like you, when i swipe the screen up and down, my eyesight gets blurry or something not normal, this started since I got the pro max, before that I had note10 plus, note 9, note 8, iPhone 7 and never felt that.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Yeah, indeed, I’ve read about that after I started to have these problems, but it still doesn’t explain my case.

I have the same issues with my iPad Pro 10.5 if TrueTone is disabled. If TrueTone is on I'm fine.

Biancaneve_91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
Well, this is not nice at all. And anyway I don’t think Apple should produce phones that cause these problems and who knows if they have a lower effect on people without health problems, but they just don’t consciously realise it, because they don’t feel it.
However that is the case of OLED screen, not the LED one, so still don’t get it.

caspergirl

macrumors regular
May 15, 2010
I guess that someone coming from an older screen when they turn to the new type they may have some symptoms like that.

Biancaneve_91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
I guess that someone coming from an older screen when they turn to the new type they may have some symptoms like that.
I don’t know because the screen type is the same, still LCD. But the question is will it get better or if I won’t return it I will just waste 839 euro?
[automerge]1572947570[/automerge]
I posted this, yesterday:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250821969
I don’t know if the guy is lat’s say just not very nice or he is actually right.

Last edited:

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
I posted this, yesterday:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250821969
I don’t know if the guy is lat’s say just not very nice or he is actually right.

This guy is a joke. Of course, if someone has problems with an Apple product it's not Apple's fault but the person has probably a very serious illness. Sorry, but Apple apologists like that guy are just disgusting.
You're obviously not alone with this problem.
What are the chances that hundreds of people suddenly developed a "serious neurological condition" when they started using the new iPhone?

Reactions: tonybarnaby

Biancaneve_91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
This guy is a joke. Of course, if someone has problems with an Apple product it's not Apple's fault but the person has probably a very serious illness. Sorry, but Apple apologists like that guy are just disgusting.
You're obviously not alone with this problem.
What are the chances that hundreds of people suddenly developed a "serious neurological condition" when they started using the new iPhone?
Yeah, indeed. That’s what I thought!

ApplePenPineapplePen

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2016
That might have been relevant back when the first smartphones came out. This is something to do with the screen, 100%.

The FACE ID uses infrared (IR) light, & IR spans wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation.
Even the new Apple U1 chip is causing iphone to emit much higher level of radiation, even on standby.
I really hope it's gotta do with the screen, at least it will be an easy fix.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Interesting thread- I thought I was crazy, I've had the same issues! I had a 6S, then a 7, then an 8Plus with no issues. Tried an XS last year and quickly realized headaches and eye pain were being caused by PWM (or I thought it was anyway) so I returned it to get the 8Plus I had for the last year.

However now with my 11- not pro- I am feeling some minor pain in my left eye, my eyes feel warm and dry when looking at the phone for a few minutes, and when I scroll it makes me feel a bit odd. That part may be the size of the screen since I've never had a phone this big before. But not sure why the other symptoms?

I kept thinking it was improving so I didn't return during my 14 day return window with my carrier-and the symptoms aren't terrible, just annoying- and it makes me feel frustrated that I could use my 8Plus all day with no issues, but this after just a few minutes causes my eye discomfort.

I also turned off FaceID and the awareness features, that didn't help. I keep brightness way, way down (probably less than 10%) because I do definitely have eyes that are really sensitive to brightness- it's why I have to keep my TV and laptop screens way down, too.

But anyway, with all of that I haven't resolved it. The one more thing I will try is to order a privacy screen protector- some of them are also a bit shaded like sunglasses when looking straight-on, so maybe that'll help even out some of the contrast or sharpness that somehow could be bothering my eyes?

If that doesn't help.... I guess I'm kind of stuck for now because I'm well beyond the return window. I got a deal with my 11 where I was entitled to a $250 cash back via a Visa gift card 90 days after activating the phone due to joining a new carrier.... so I could keep using the phone for 90 days-if I am still having problems after I get that, I could sell the phone and probably still come out ahead due to the $250 back that I got, and I could go back to using my 8Plus that I hadn't sold yet.

I would be so disappointed to give it up as I think it's an absolutely fantastic phone and I love the advanced camera. It makes no sense why this is happening! I used my 8Plus recording a slo mo video of the screen to see if I can see flicker like I can on my wife's XS just checking to see if somehow they implemented PWM on this year's LCD screen- but there is no flicker at all, so that is definitely not it.

So.... as noted my last hope is the privacy screen protector. Has anyone else tried that to see if it would help?

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Can you find a Samsung Galaxy S10e in your area to try?

I had trouble with Samsung's retina unlock feature which led to buying iPhone X but that seems to be a PWM issue for me. The S10+ on lowest resolution HD+ is better.

Some people with issues with OLED can do fine with AMOLED.

Biancaneve_91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
Interesting thread- I thought I was crazy, I've had the same issues! I had a 6S, then a 7, then an 8Plus with no issues. Tried an XS last year and quickly realized headaches and eye pain were being caused by PWM (or I thought it was anyway) so I returned it to get the 8Plus I had for the last year.

However now with my 11- not pro- I am feeling some minor pain in my left eye, my eyes feel warm and dry when looking at the phone for a few minutes, and when I scroll it makes me feel a bit odd. That part may be the size of the screen since I've never had a phone this big before. But not sure why the other symptoms?

I kept thinking it was improving so I didn't return during my 14 day return window with my carrier-and the symptoms aren't terrible, just annoying- and it makes me feel frustrated that I could use my 8Plus all day with no issues, but this after just a few minutes causes my eye discomfort.

I also turned off FaceID and the awareness features, that didn't help. I keep brightness way, way down (probably less than 10%) because I do definitely have eyes that are really sensitive to brightness- it's why I have to keep my TV and laptop screens way down, too.

But anyway, with all of that I haven't resolved it. The one more thing I will try is to order a privacy screen protector- some of them are also a bit shaded like sunglasses when looking straight-on, so maybe that'll help even out some of the contrast or sharpness that somehow could be bothering my eyes?

If that doesn't help.... I guess I'm kind of stuck for now because I'm well beyond the return window. I got a deal with my 11 where I was entitled to a $250 cash back via a Visa gift card 90 days after activating the phone due to joining a new carrier.... so I could keep using the phone for 90 days-if I am still having problems after I get that, I could sell the phone and probably still come out ahead due to the $250 back that I got, and I could go back to using my 8Plus that I hadn't sold yet.

I would be so disappointed to give it up as I think it's an absolutely fantastic phone and I love the advanced camera. It makes no sense why this is happening! I used my 8Plus recording a slo mo video of the screen to see if I can see flicker like I can on my wife's XS just checking to see if somehow they implemented PWM on this year's LCD screen- but there is no flicker at all, so that is definitely not it.

So.... as noted my last hope is the privacy screen protector. Has anyone else tried that to see if it would help?

So.. if you went back to when you had the opportunity to return the phone and have the cash back, would do still do it?
[automerge]1572996174[/automerge]
Can you find a Samsung Galaxy S10e in your area to try?

I had trouble with Samsung's retina unlock feature which led to buying iPhone X but that seems to be a PWM issue for me. The S10+ on lowest resolution HD+ is better.

Some people with issues with OLED can do fine with AMOLED.

Well..at the moment for me the issue is to understand if I should return the phone or not. If I do, I would buy an 8 Plus probably. I don’t think I would choose a Samsung phone anyway, at least until I can still you a valid Apple phone I will stick with it. After that I don’t know..
[automerge]1572996250[/automerge]
The FACE ID uses infrared (IR) light, & IR spans wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation.
Even the new Apple U1 chip is causing iphone to emit much higher level of radiation, even on standby.
I really hope it's gotta do with the screen, at least it will be an easy fix.
Sorry for asking but how do you know this information?

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Spent all day setting up new iPhone 11. Easy on eyes. No strain or headache. Crisp text and screen. Much better than the X it replaces.
On my Samsung S10+ I scale it down to lowest HD+ resolution (FHD?) which is probably similar.
After years of using AMOLED and OLED I’m sort of back to and loving LCD screen.

Last edited:

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I hope those of you with this issue are calling Apple (the mothership, not just stores). They are in a much better position to research this than most of us here, and they are far more likely to do so if they are hearing about this from multiple people.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Okay, I stumbled upon some weirdness. Took a picture in night mode and reviewed it in the photos app.

With the dark blue shades provided by the LED’s on my fan, looking closer at those hues did bring about a bit of flickering on my iPhone 11 display.

Perhaps an isolated issue or some color shifting from TrueTone to show the most accurate colors instead of keeping the LCD set to a warm color temperature.

Just a guess really.

Biancaneve_91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
I hope those of you with this issue are calling Apple (the mothership, not just stores). They are in a much better position to research this than most of us here, and they are far more likely to do so if they are hearing about this from multiple people.
I would like to do that. But do you mean the help center? Because I didn’t find any other contact addresses/numbers.

Last edited:

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Okay, I stumbled upon some weirdness. Took a picture in night mode and reviewed it in the photos app.

With the dark blue shades provided by the LED’s on my fan, looking closer at those hues did bring about a bit of flickering on my iPhone 11 display.

Perhaps an isolated issue or some color shifting from TrueTone to show the most accurate colors instead of keeping the LCD set to a warm color temperature.

Just a guess really.
Good deal. Most likely not most of our issues, but more info is always helpful.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington

Just a guess really.

Interesting- so perhaps turning off True Tone and setting the night shift always on for a warmer display would prevent what you described and keep a fairly decent looking display?

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Interesting- so perhaps turning off True Tone and setting the night shift always on for a warmer display would prevent what you described and keep a fairly decent looking display?

Not sure, just an experience mucking about with my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.