Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Charlie_San

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2020
San Diego, CA
That’s pretty incredible! Was the change noticeable to you right away?

Yes, im really sensitive but yes right away. I mean within a couple hours of intermittent scrolling etc
[automerge]1603522089[/automerge]
Yes, im really sensitive but yes right away. I mean within a couple hours of intermittent scrolling etc

completely feels like a different phone :)

BLight

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2017
Hello all. 3 weeks ago I bought iPhone 11. Before had iPhone 5, iPad 2017, MacBook Pro 2016 without problems. So from iPhone 11 first days everything was ok or think so at least. After a week I was reading more articles on it and start feeling pain in eyes, then headaches and even nausea. And also had pain in my thyroid, front side of neck. So I turn off Face ID. Seems like it got better. But still continue having all the time headaches, eyes strain. Also tested my thyroid and TSH got 2,5 times higher from what I had before. So now wonder if iPhone 11 could cause these problems with my thyroid. And if it really possible to do anything with iPhone 11 to get rid of all problems with headaches. I worry that it can ruin my health more. But phone itself is good enough.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
Hello all. 3 weeks ago I bought iPhone 11. Before had iPhone 5, iPad 2017, MacBook Pro 2016 without problems. So from iPhone 11 first days everything was ok or think so at least. After a week I was reading more articles on it and start feeling pain in eyes, then headaches and even nausea. And also had pain in my thyroid, front side of neck. So I turn off Face ID. Seems like it got better. But still continue having all the time headaches, eyes strain. Also tested my thyroid and TSH got 2,5 times higher from what I had before. So now wonder if iPhone 11 could cause these problems with my thyroid. And if it really possible to do anything with iPhone 11 to get rid of all problems with headaches. I worry that it can ruin my health more. But phone itself is good enough.
When I got my 11 I was getting eye strain, headaches, and nausea. Once I turned off True Tone I was fine and have been ever since. Don't know if it will help you but I figured I would mention it.

Reactions: BLight

BLight

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2017
When I got my 11 I was getting eye strain, headaches, and nausea. Once I turned off True Tone I was fine and have been ever since. Don't know if it will help you but I figured I would mention it.
ab2c4 thank you so much for reply. Once I tried to to turned off True Tone already, after your advice I’m trying it again, hope it will help. And do you use ‘reduce white point’?

dimitricook

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
For me personally i got the exact same trouble as with the OLED iphones but more mild. So diziness, vertigo, headace etc..

Only switching back to the iPhone 8 did help me.

Reactions: BLight

BLight

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2017
For me personally i got the exact same trouble as with the OLED iphones but more mild. So diziness, vertigo, headace etc..

Only switching back to the iPhone 8 did help me.
Sorry to hear that…

Yeah that’s why I didn’t buy Iphone with OLED but really didn’t expect so bad from IPS on IPhone 11. Need to say that advice from ab2c4 works for me so far. Since I turned off True Tone things got better. But I still have Face ID off, tried it just once to unblock an app in the shop and got sharp pain in the eye and temple about 5 minutes after using Face ID.

But still seems it has some effects on my vision, like it beco es worse especially right after using the IPhone 11. Really hope it’s not make any damage to my eyes

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
ab2c4 thank you so much for reply. Once I tried to to turned off True Tone already, after your advice I’m trying it again, hope it will help. And do you use ‘reduce white point’?
Sorry I just saw you post. No I don't use "reduce white point".

BLight

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2017
Sorry I just saw you post. No I don't use "reduce white point".
Thank you so much for your reply.

Need to update that sometimes it’s better but sometimes it’s still pain, strain in eyes, head and neck and after using the phone it gets hard to focus my vision even on iPad with that I never had problems

screentrouble

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2021
At the end of the story I returned my phone today and changed it for an 8 Plus cause the headache increased again and I couldn’t stand it anymore. I’ve been using my new phone for an hour without interruption and all the symptoms I had passed.
The sales assistants at the Apple Store said they never heard of anybody having these problems with a LED screen phone.
[automerge]1573505391[/automerge]
I’m quite sad though because I really liked that phone, but obviously I couldn’t use it.
Hi - I realize this is a couple years late but wanted to affirm what you are experiencing. I can't use retina screens on Macs without getting carsick and migraines. This translates to most iPhones as well. I've been stuck with a 5S. I had hope for the 11 and tried today and got very sick. I've spoken with Apple's tech teams and developers over the years and, at least on the computer side, they know we exist. If these aren't migraine responses then they may be similar to car sickness with first-person video games. The tightness of the pixels possibly creates a smoothing action that makes people with this sensitivity responsive. It isn't unique to Apple. I haven't found an answer yet but glad to know you had luck with the 8 Plus.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Glad this thread has resurfaced... My 8 is getting on a bit now... and I've been thinking of upgrade options. Had forgotten that the 11 and others may be a problem...

Has anyone had issues with the 8? I don't normally... though sometimes, possibly when a migraine is brewing anyways, have issues looking at the screen...

Jclok

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2021
Seeing this thread makes me sad. My first iPhone was the X and I was somehow able to use it without issue. Once I considered upgrading, the 11 pro in store made me feel uncomfortable. At that point it was all downhill. I wasn't able to upgrade to anything. Fast forward to today, I accidentally put my X in the washing machine and it doesn't work anymore. I tried getting the Xs Max since the screen tech is supposed to be the same. I even found one with the same OS (14.6). The phone makes me feel uncomfortable. I feel "off".

I hoped the 11 would be the answer since it's LCD, but from the many pages of posts here and other places, I don't have hope anymore. Apple does not seem to have us in their radar. I can't use ANY of their current mobile products.

I do have a hypothesis that I don't how how to test. You know how Apple touts the Wide P3 color space? Well no 8 bit panel can produce that natively and has to rely on FRC (Temporal dithering), a form of flicker between two colors to give the appearance of one. This could make even a still image make you feel weird if susceptible.

I don't know if Apple's OLED panels ore true 10-bit or not. Only a true 10 bit panel can produce Billions of colors without FRC tricks. From my understanding, that type of panel is quite expensive.

Apple has supported this color space for years and may be in the device you consider safe to use. To that fact, I am curious to know if the algorithms used to obtain the colors changed with the capabilities of the newer chips.

I could be far off and the issue could be the physical displays themselves. I'm just trying to help figure this out for those of us that have nothing to upgrade to and won't for the foreseeable future unless somehow micro-LED is the savior, but I'm hesitant to think so. I would love to hear thoughts on this.

Reactions: 5105973

knight117

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2023
This theory seems right to me. I got headaches from the iPhone 11 Pro and from the regular iPhone 11 but the 8 Plus and the new 2020 SE are fine. Where can I learn more about dithering?
The m2 Macbook Air 13.6" I just sold also gave me eye strain, its screen doesn't use PWM, so I think dithering could be the culprit. I'm also selling my iPhone 11 to get enough money to buy a used 8 Plus.

Reactions: 5105973

dab72

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2023
You aren’t alone in this weird problem, there’s another thread full of us: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...r.2150554/page-20?post=28906812#post-28906812

I‘ve mentioned it before, but I think it has something to do with Temporal Dithering/A12 chip. This may only apply to some of us here, but certain people seem to have trouble with a specific range of devices. For example, if you’re part of this group I’m talking about, you’ll get consistent eye strain from the XR, 11, SE2020, iPad Pro 2018/2020, iPad Air 3, any Mac after 2015, etc. (OLED devices seem different, I’ve seen people who have issues with these devices strangely having no problem with PWM flickering.)

Anyway, I don’t know for sure because I can’t really test the screens, but I think Apple started doing something differently around 2016 for Macs and 2018 for iOS devices. Like I said, I think it started with the A12 chip, because we’ve cleared a lot of the other potential causes:

-It’s not True Tone because older devices have it and they doesn’t cause symptoms
-It’s not Face ID because the Air 3/iPad 8th Gen don’t have it and they still cause symptoms. Not to mention I’ve tried covering the Face Sensor on XR, 11, iPP 2018, etc
-It’s not any device setting in Display, Brightness, Accessibility, etc, we’ve tried nearly everything at this point
-It doesn’t have anything to do with the antireflective coating, P3 color gamut, oleophobic coating, etc.

Every device that seems to be causing problems for some of us has an A12 or better chip, that’s the only thing I can see that links them all together. I’m thinking this because my brother let me try his new iPad 8th Gen (which is the *EXACT* same as the 7th gen barring the new A12 chip), and it gives me the same eye strain as the other A12 devices. I could use the 7th gen for hours with no issues, so it points to the A12 chip IMO.

Again, this seems to only apply to some of us. If you only have trouble with just one or two of these devices and the rest work fine, I don’t think you’d need to worry about anything I say here.

On the other hand, if you notice you’re consistently having trouble with XR, 11, SE2020, iPad Air 3, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro, 2018/2020, any Macs after 2015, etc, I would encourage you to try any iOS device with an A12 or better chip or a Mac after 2015 and see if you have the same symptoms, I think it could be valuable in finding what the actual cause is or trying to figure out a potential solution.
Nice detective work! One more data point in case it helps. I get no eye strain from my MacBook Pro 2019 16 inch, but very bad eye strain from my Macbook air M1 (2020), iPhone 12 mini, and iPad Pro 10.5. I recently downloaded BetterDisplay to mirror a dummy screen and it immediately helped with my MBA.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The m2 Macbook Air 13.6" I just sold also gave me eye strain, its screen doesn't use PWM, so I think dithering could be the culprit. I'm also selling my iPhone 11 to get enough money to buy a used 8 Plus.
I got hold of my late father’s 8 Plus that I’d bought for him back when I had two of them and traded my own in to get him a Verizon one. To my absolute shock, the display on it gave me terrible eye strain!

I’m at a loss to explain why. I use the OLED display on my Samsung S22 Ultra with no issues whatsoever. And I’m currently using a refurbished iPhone 12 Pro Max with mild eye strain but no migraines…yet. It can sometimes take months for me to become hyper sensitive to my OLED iPhone displays.

Chuckles55

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2023
Mississippi
I had a little eye strain with my Iphone 11 when I first got it, for about a week but I stuck it out. It bothered my left eye, which is my weaker eye, but my eyes eventually adjusted to my phone. I had an 8 Plus, so it may have been an adjustment phase to the lesser screen. But I tried the 14 and I still can't use OLED phones. It wasn't as bad as the X that I tried, but in the end it wasn't worth damaging my eyes for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.