Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
You aren’t alone in this weird problem, there’s another thread full of us: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...r.2150554/page-20?post=28906812#post-28906812

I‘ve mentioned it before, but I think it has something to do with Temporal Dithering/A12 chip. This may only apply to some of us here, but certain people seem to have trouble with a specific range of devices. For example, if you’re part of this group I’m talking about, you’ll get consistent eye strain from the XR, 11, SE2020, iPad Pro 2018/2020, iPad Air 3, any Mac after 2015, etc. (OLED devices seem different, I’ve seen people who have issues with these devices strangely having no problem with PWM flickering.)

Anyway, I don’t know for sure because I can’t really test the screens, but I think Apple started doing something differently around 2016 for Macs and 2018 for iOS devices. Like I said, I think it started with the A12 chip, because we’ve cleared a lot of the other potential causes:

-It’s not True Tone because older devices have it and they doesn’t cause symptoms
-It’s not Face ID because the Air 3/iPad 8th Gen don’t have it and they still cause symptoms. Not to mention I’ve tried covering the Face Sensor on XR, 11, iPP 2018, etc
-It’s not any device setting in Display, Brightness, Accessibility, etc, we’ve tried nearly everything at this point
-It doesn’t have anything to do with the antireflective coating, P3 color gamut, oleophobic coating, etc.

Every device that seems to be causing problems for some of us has an A12 or better chip, that’s the only thing I can see that links them all together. I’m thinking this because my brother let me try his new iPad 8th Gen (which is the *EXACT* same as the 7th gen barring the new A12 chip), and it gives me the same eye strain as the other A12 devices. I could use the 7th gen for hours with no issues, so it points to the A12 chip IMO.

Again, this seems to only apply to some of us. If you only have trouble with just one or two of these devices and the rest work fine, I don’t think you’d need to worry about anything I say here.

On the other hand, if you notice you’re consistently having trouble with XR, 11, SE2020, iPad Air 3, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro, 2018/2020, any Macs after 2015, etc, I would encourage you to try any iOS device with an A12 or better chip or a Mac after 2015 and see if you have the same symptoms, I think it could be valuable in finding what the actual cause is or trying to figure out a potential solution.
I didn’t know what temporal dithering was so I quickly looked it up and came across a mention of it in relation to migraines on the Nvidia forum

Reading what it is, I can see how it could cause problems since it’s similar to pwm in flashing. Only it’s flashing color values instead of an on-off state.

It’s good to be aware of all these factors that maybe impacting some of us in different ways.

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2017
KA
Does anyone know of people having similar problems with the SE 2020?
I personally haven’t tested it, but I’d expect that it would cause issues for those of us affected. Not only does it have the A13 chip, but it seems to show a similar flicker pattern to the other problematic devices.

Here’s are some flickering charts from notebookcheck showing what I mean:

(Notice how the 8+ and iPad 7 have a much flatter line, I think that may be a way to gauge if the flicker would be an issue. I’d love to hear SE2020 owners thoughts on how it affects them though)

Attachments

• 4470EE55-2618-4691-8641-A9303C2BBE3E.jpeg
    4470EE55-2618-4691-8641-A9303C2BBE3E.jpeg
    470.8 KB · Views: 219
  • 4936FA00-9CDA-4698-A1BC-63EDC576870B.jpeg
    4936FA00-9CDA-4698-A1BC-63EDC576870B.jpeg
    492.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 881A6CB0-C9FD-4471-984F-30AC9932F298.jpeg
    881A6CB0-C9FD-4471-984F-30AC9932F298.jpeg
    469.6 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland

At least I’ve been using my SE 2020 (as well as the iPad Air 3) without issues while I got headaches with the 11. So in my case it looks like FaceID plays a part in the problem, but now I can’t help thinking whether it’s temporal dithering and FaceID that’s producing a combined effect that’s a bit too much for me as temporal dithering alone doesn’t seem to trigger anything.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
At least I’ve been using my SE 2020 (as well as the iPad Air 3) without issues while I got headaches with the 11. So in my case it looks like FaceID plays a part in the problem, but now I can’t help thinking whether it’s temporal dithering and FaceID that’s producing a combined effect that’s a bit too much for me as temporal dithering alone doesn’t seem to trigger anything.

I’ve had my 11 for almost a year, and I have kept Face ID turned off. When I turned it back on the other day, I felt uncomfortable in the eyes snd head- it’s subtle, but something wasn’t right.

I have since turned it back off. I really miss Touch ID!

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I’ve had my 11 for almost a year, and I have kept Face ID turned off. When I turned it back on the other day, I felt uncomfortable in the eyes snd head- it’s subtle, but something wasn’t right.

I have since turned it back off. I really miss Touch ID!

I’m really hoping that the integrated-in-the-power-button TouchID makes its way to the iPhone soon. Unfortunately, this year’s models may be too soon for that, but there’s always hope up to whatever kind of launch they’ll have.

Reactions: jm31828

Charlie_San

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2020
San Diego, CA
I bought my IPhone 11 last Friday and I’ve already been thinking about giving it back. Since the first minute of its use I’ve been having eyes strain, headache and sometimes even nausea. When I don’t use it the feeling goes away and when I start to use it again it comes back. I’m pretty sad about this because I really like the phone but I don’t think it worth it.
I already turn off the Face ID, reduced the intensity of the whites, reduced movements, but I’m still having problems. Obviously it’s not my first IPhone. I’ve had an IPhone 4, 6s, IPad 4, used various Macs and have never had anything.
It doesn’t even have the OLED screen so I can’t explain why is this happening.
Has anybody else been having similar problems?

Hi, Just bought an IPhone 11 last week and found this thread by searching. I have been unbelievable dizzy with headaches ever since having the phone. Last phone was 8 plus with no issues. I am sensitive (which is a good thing,) like once i worked in an office with a bunch of copiers and got headaches. So I'm guessing its actually the radiation thats bothering us - so i took it back. Im trying the SE now and will report on how that goes. If it does the same thing, I'm returning and will buy and 8 plus on craigslist.

These companies are stuffing more and more technology into these phones, and they need to run on something, so they give off a lot of emissions. Apple particularly never cared about that, samsung used to but i think gave up in favor of technology.

I purposefully didnt go for the 12 due to 5g, but didn't expect this. Oh and i had face Id off, as well as motion sensors and true tone.. so...

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
So interestingly, I have heard that quite a few people who had issues with PWM flicker on the X and XS did NOT have issues with the OLED displays on the 11 Pro. How strange would it be for anyone having issues with the LCD on the regular 11 to switch to the 11 Pro and have a better experience? lol. I am so curious, I have never sat down and looked at an 11 Pro to see how the display is. My wife's XS Max hurts my eyes within a minute, and that is my only experience with OLED.

But on the regular 11- I have had mine a year now, and for the most part I do not have issues anymore- it was just that first month or so. It could have been the adjustment to the biggest screen I have ever had given my very sensitive eyes, could have been the faceID which I ended up turning off, so hard to say?

Reactions: Charlie_San

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2017
KA
Im trying the SE now and will report on how that goes.

Please let us know how you do with the SE, it *should* be okay headache-wise, but I’m not even sure anymore lol.

Also, do you happen to have any issue with the iPhone XR, iPad Pro 2018, iPad Air 3, or iPad Mini 5?

Charlie_San

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2020
San Diego, CA
So interestingly, I have heard that quite a few people who had issues with PWM flicker on the X and XS did NOT have issues with the OLED displays on the 11 Pro. How strange would it be for anyone having issues with the LCD on the regular 11 to switch to the 11 Pro and have a better experience? lol. I am so curious, I have never sat down and looked at an 11 Pro to see how the display is. My wife's XS Max hurts my eyes within a minute, and that is my only experience with OLED.

But on the regular 11- I have had mine a year now, and for the most part I do not have issues anymore- it was just that first month or so. It could have been the adjustment to the biggest screen I have ever had given my very sensitive eyes, could have been the faceID which I ended up turning off, so hard to say?

well, i figure you can get used to anything. but last night when i went to sleep and turned out the lights, they were still flickering, almost as if i was tripping or something. and the dizziness was way too much. So far 12 hours with the SE none of it. I am actually thinking it's the techonology involved in face reading, and/or light emitted; even when it's off. I never had mine on. I was incredibly dizzy- it wasn't good. Alas, I think the SE doesn't cause the problem, Will give it more time to see.

Charlie_San

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2020
San Diego, CA
If you read what I suggested as a test you will see I DID NOT say turn Face ID off. By covering the notch with black electrical tape NO flood light will pass through the tape. Covering the emitter with opaque tape will allow the supposed affected person to test with 100% assurance no light is hitting them.

if the nausea, eye strain, and head aches stop the person will have found the cause of their discomfort.

If covering the emitter has no effect, than further medical assistance might be appropriate.

well i returned mine today, bc whether or not i can stop it, if a machine is throwing something at me that is making me that sick, something's wrong. having said that - the emitter, is that the little crevice at the bottom?

Charlie_San

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2020
San Diego, CA
Trust me it’s not the text. It’s a different thing. For me it was even a different pain comparing to when my eyes get tired because I’ve read too much or watch too much tv series or whatever. It was much worse and it happened even if I only looked at the screen without reading anything. I compared if I had the same response using another IPhone 11 today at the store and yes I had the same pain, so it wasn’t just my phone.
[automerge]1573511992[/automerge]

Trust me it’s not the text. It’s a different thing. For me it was even a different pain comparing to when my eyes get tired because I’ve read too much or watch too much tv series or whatever. It was much worse and it happened even if I only looked at the screen without reading anything. I compared if I had the same response using another IPhone 11 today at the store and yes I had the same pain, so it wasn’t just my phone is

I completely agree with you. I’ll miss it too but I prefer feeling good.

Also agree, i felt really sick and dizzy. using an SE now that is not doing it. still think it must be the face reader.

Charlie_San

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2020
San Diego, CA
I just purchased an iPhone 11 max and want to throw up every time I used it. Any remedies or fixes for this? I’m going on 7 days of nausea due to the screen and it’s not fun. It goes away just about instantly when I stop looking. I’m 100% sure it’s due to the screen, just don’t know why. I’ve tried a screen protector to no avail. I had an iPhone X prior to this one and it was fine.

what did u end up doing?

Charlie_San

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2020
San Diego, CA
Joined to address this issue. I have had android phones for the last several years and my wife has always had iPhones. In July we switched to the iPhone 11 Pro max. We both began having migraines, dizziness, jittery eyes, and nausea or motion sickness. We didn't actually think it was the phones at the time, I thought it was more sinister. Doctors visits, MRI scans, etc... nothing. We thought about it and realized this started the day after getting our new iPhones. After researching on here, we thought maybe it's the OLED screen. I was skeptical because my Android had an AMOLED display, but we thought what the heck, let's try it. We switched to the regular iPhone 11 with the LCD. While much of the dizziness has resolved over the weeks, we both feel nausea (me significantly) when I'm using my phone. And it doesn't go away immediately after stopping. It lingers. The scrolling action is so nausea-inducing for me that I close my eyes to scroll. I thought it was the way the iPhone scrolled (buttery smooth, maybe too smooth?) that was making me nauseous, but then it never bothered me on my Pad pro and my older iPad, both of which I use extensively. (Granted, I don't scroll on them much). I scroll news and the stock market on my phone quite often.

I can't be 100% certain it's the phones, but I am at my wits end figuring this out, and the fact that both my wife and I have this issue, and it started right after we got our phones makes it seem to be a likely culprit. She never had a problem with her iPhone 8+ or previous iPhones, and I never had a problem with my older iPhones (I switched to android after the iPhone 4) or my samsung/pixel phones with AMOLED.

After reading a few posts up this thread, I turned off True Tone. Doubt that's the issue but I have nothing to lose by trying it.

We also turned off all the motion settings within the first few days.

where are you folks at with it? i had my 11 for 3 days before feeling so sick i had to give it up. and not sick anymore. thinking it must be the face reader (even tho i had mine off the whole time) since no problems with 8 plus or Se.
[automerge]1602908749[/automerge]

i got an SE today. will let you know. so far not so dizzy, no headaches.

Charlie_San

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2020
San Diego, CA
I personally haven’t tested it, but I’d expect that it would cause issues for those of us affected. Not only does it have the A13 chip, but it seems to show a similar flicker pattern to the other problematic devices.

Here’s are some flickering charts from notebookcheck showing what I mean:

(Notice how the 8+ and iPad 7 have a much flatter line, I think that may be a way to gauge if the flicker would be an issue. I’d love to hear SE2020 owners thoughts on how it affects them though)

interesting. I do think im having some issues with SE. headachey and hurts my eyes but will give it a few days.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Take your tv remote, push a button and aim it at your face. How do you feel? Face ID is the same thing.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Cell phones are bad for you.. I didn’t know this was news? Not that it matters much anyways since you are being bombarded with all kinds of radio signals no matter where you are.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
this is friggin scary. i remember when steve jobs was alive back at iphone 3/4 it was reported that he didnt give 2 sh*ts about redation. i mean we are carrying mini computers around with us.

Interesting- so it appears if using it up at your ear, you are exceeding the safe limits, but when a few mm away or feet away as is the case when holding a phone to browse apps or use it to talk using hands free devices, it is well within the safe limits- from what I can tell?

Charlie_San

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2020
San Diego, CA
I have really good news! Watched a vid that measured radiation and found that 1) turning the bluetooth off in settings (not from the access / swipe screen) and 2) turning the cellular / data to Use 3G DRAMATICALLY lowered the radiation that the device gives off.

I'm sitting here with my SE not feeling nauseous for the first time in a week.
Try it!

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I have really good news! Watched a vid that measured radiation and found that 1) turning the bluetooth off in settings (not from the access / swipe screen) and 2) turning the cellular / data to Use 3G DRAMATICALLY lowered the radiation that the device gives off.

I'm sitting here with my SE not feeling nauseous for the first time in a week.
Try it!

Wow, glad to hear that helped!! We’re you having eye strain before making this change, too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.