Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
I kinda miss the 11 Pro series of iPhones. The curved sides with the matte finish on the back makes it such a premium feeling device. I might downgrade my 15 for a 11 Pro Max but I’m still on the fence about it. When I do the math, I’ll lose some money with this move but whatever, you know?

I’m wondering if anyone has downgraded before or had the feeling to do so?

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
Purely for the rounded edges the 11 Pro series is the last iPhone to feature them! Loved my 11PM, it felt more comfortable in the hand than my current 14PM which is heavy with sharp feeling edges.

I’m not sure I would downgrade the 15 to an iPhone that is gonna be 5 years old this year though. Depends how much you want the rounded edges, however the 11PM still performs well and likely get a few more iOS updates.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I have both the iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPhone 14 Pro Max... If not for the software and hardware features available only on iPhone 14 Pro Max, I would stick with iPhone 11 Pro Max...

I use them both, iPhone 11 Pro Max as the main phone while iPhone 14 Pro Max for photo and video recording...

Also, battery capacity is bigger on the iPhone 14 Pro Max compared to iPhone 11 Pro Max...

If I were to sell the iPhone 14 Pro Max, I would still get considerable amount from it unlike selling the iPhone 11 Pro Max

Late adopter... Purchased iPhone 14 Pro Max in April 2023... Currently showing 99% battery health on Settings... Have not counter-checked with Coconut Battery on macOS...

I used to purchase old models when new ones get introduced... Purchased iPhone 7 Plus brand new, a 2016 model in November 2020... Prior to that I have purchased multiple pre-owned/second hand units to experience older iOS versions and to experience owning the unit as if I got it on the release period/year...

When I had enough money to purchase a new model outright/full payment and not installment, I was deciding between iPhone 13 Pro Max vs iPhone 14 Pro Max, older model with bigger storage compared to newer model with smaller storage for nearly the same price... I decided to go with the newer model...

Several months later after iPhone 15 series was announced and available for purchase, I keep going back to the iPhone comparison page and for me, the changes introduced in the iPhone 15 Pro Max are not that compelling to me...

USB Type C and USB 3.2 speeds are nice to have but I can get by with AirDrop, although it seems to get more unreliable by the day, enough free space on the receiving device but transfer fails, and other data transfer issues...

5x optical zoom leaves anything between 1x and 5x to be digital zoom/crop which I don't like... Another reason that I went with iPhone 14 Pro Max than iPhone 13 Pro Max, even though both uses 2x digital zoom, because the newer one has 48MP sensor, to me it is still the better choicce... Will Apple go the Samsung way with more cameras? We'll see...

Ability to save directly to an external storage is nice to have but the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro both max out to 4K 30fps ProRes when relying on the internal storage and I don't shoot in ProRes or Cinematic mode...

I have seen videos about Smart HDR 4 and Smart HDR 5 but it seems to me that even if you upgrade iPhone 14 Pro Max to iOS 17.x it would still be using Smart HDR 4 so I kept it at iOS 16.7 since even though iPhone 14 Pro can handle iOS 17.x fine, iOS 16 was designed with iPhone 14 Pro in mind...

iPhone 13 Pro Max has bigger aperture compared to iPhone 14 Pro Max when it comes to the wide and ultra wide cameras but it seems to have been negated or at least as close to due to the 48MP sensor on the iPhone 14 Pro Max...

The notch on the iPhone 13 series is narrower yet taller but seeing a uniform bezel and a punch hole/Dynamic Island made me go with iPhone 14 Pro Max...

I was also debating between the iPhone 13 mini and a bigger newer model to either relive the iPhone 4/4s/5/5c/5s/SE 2016 days or get a bigger longer lasting battery... I may do that since I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max which I purchased pre-owned after getting the iPhone 14 Pro Max although I will lose the ability to shoot ProRAW and HDR video with Dolby Vision and I am not counting the iPhone 12 series since it introduced 5G but with smaller battery compared to the iPhone 11 series...

Reactions: James6s

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
my Tech21 evo crystal case has rounded edges like my old 11 pro. I miss that phone, the green was the best iPhone colour for years.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Uhhhhh…not really sure what to say here.

The 11 Pro Max is currently my primary phone.

As to curved sides, I'm sick of them. I've been with curved sides since September 2015 (6 Plus, 6s Plus, Pixel 3a XL, 11 Pro Max). Although it's smaller, I much prefer the flat sides of my iPhone 5.

Flat sides are, for me, easier to grip because it presents more surface area to hold on to. With curved sides I have to grip harder.

Not exactly sure what the nostalgia is about either. My 11PM is running iOS 17.3.

• Love
Reactions: xpxp2002 and Matcha

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
Uhhhhh…not really sure what to say here.

The 11 Pro Max is currently my primary phone.

As to curved sides, I'm sick of them. I've been with curved sides since September 2015 (6 Plus, 6s Plus, Pixel 3a XL, 11 Pro Max). Although it's smaller, I much prefer the flat sides of my iPhone 5.

Flat sides are, for me, easier to grip because it presents more surface area to hold on to. With curved sides I have to grip harder.

Not exactly sure what the nostalgia is about either. My 11PM is running iOS 17.3.

I just miss having the 11 Pro I guess. I remembered the cameras work well too. The minimal focus distance is very small too.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I just miss having the 11 Pro I guess. I remembered the cameras work well too. The minimal focus distance is very small too.
Alright…well, here's a consolation prize I guess.

2024-01-29 05.50.10.jpg 2024-01-29 05.47.41.jpg

Photos taken with my 6 Plus.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
that makes absolutely no sense at all.

i loved my 12 pro max but i wouldn't go back and that device still has some support in it yet. 11 series will get axed soon.

if you don't like modern iphones then you can find an Android that feels good to hold and look at. If you dislike Android for whatever reason then you just gotta deal with recent iPhones.

honestly you could probably just hold off a while before apple returns to curved phones lol. the glass is meant to be more curved this year. next year they'll probably curve the frame again similar to the 6-11 series phones.

Reactions: Matcha and GuruZac

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
I'd say just just hold off and save that money for another year or so…
There is only so much where Apple can still "innovate" each year about the hardware design. We had sharp edges and round edges before, now we had sharp edges again for a few years, guess what will come (back) next… ;)

Not saying it will definitely happen in 2024, but at some point it is likely edges will become rounder again.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Do whatever makes you happy. I downgraded from a 12 Mini to an OGSE for 8 months then upgraded to a 13.

Reactions: Al Rukh

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
I thought I was upgrading from an iPhone X to a 12 Pro, but quickly realized that the size of the 12 Pro without a case (and even more so with a case) offset any functional or performance improvement for me. I had given my X to my son so I downgraded to a 12 mini to get something I could use with one hand, but was disappointed by the 12 mini battery life — so a few months later I replaced the 12 mini with the 13 mini and I’ve been loving it! The 13 mini is durable and the build quality is excellent with glass back and elegant yet substantial feel even without stainless steel and frosted glass. I love this downgrade and have no desire to upgrade to anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.