Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cedo_

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2020
Yup, I have an 15 PM that I really like. If they announce new colors I will just get a base 15.

PerfectChaos

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
Since I'm still rocking my 11 Pro I have to come into all these kinds of threads that feed my bias and say oh yeaaaah best phone ever!

I have devices with more powerful chips as well as 120Hz screens elsewhere so I know how little I'm missing out on. The camera is also still nice enough considering the relatively small bump (back then we thought it was huge!) and I believe it was the first series with the wide angle that is oh so useful sometimes.

It'll be replaced either if i break or lose it, or when Apple sadly cuts iOS support.
I'm with you. I never upgraded from 11 Pro. Every year I ask myself if there's anything worth upgrading to and so far there hasn't been enough to tempt me. The design and size alone are perfect for me.

Reactions: Sorinut

Tevosn

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2020
I don’t want to downgrade, but I would love if the next phone went back to iPhone 11 Pro design.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Can't say I've ever wanted an old phone back, but I also prefer the squared off 12/13/14/15 design over the rounded one that came before.

Reactions: xpxp2002

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
I kinda miss the 11 Pro series of iPhones. The curved sides with the matte finish on the back makes it such a premium feeling device. I might downgrade my 15 for a 11 Pro Max but I’m still on the fence about it. When I do the math, I’ll lose some money with this move but whatever, you know?

I’m wondering if anyone has downgraded before or had the feeling to do so?
Wait a few years, industrial design is cyclical more often than not. I loved my 11PM but my 15+ is a really nice phone to hold, nicer than I thought it would be.

Zaydax333

macrumors member
May 25, 2021
I have a blue iPhone 15 Pro.
No way do I wanna go backwards. This thing is great.

The slightly curved edges on the 15 series is a good enough compromise for me.

I also really enjoy having Dynamic Island and the action button and USB C. The brighter display is really useful outdoors, and that voice isolation mode for all mic using apps works wonders. Also WiFi 6E with my router and Google fiber 1Gb plan is just stupid fast.

• Love
Reactions: bevsb2

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
Regularly. But currently my 13 mini is a good halfway house between the halcyon days of OGSE and today’s heavy slabs with distended blisters on the back and giant slots cut into the screen 👍
I just ordered a 13 mini, but I already know that I'll miss the round edges of my SE2020.

I played around with the 13pro of my GF and tried to convince myself, that I need one as well, but it's just too big and heavy, sticks out of jeans pockets and the camera quality really isn't that much better than my SE 2020 - still a tiny phone camera with a tiny chip - so why bother? I'd like to have Lidar, but there are not many use cases for it and the dynamic refresh rates are a nice battery-saver but if I don't have it, I don't miss it.

I hope when that 13 Mini is done in 3-4 years, there'll be another smaller iPhone I can buy.

Last edited:

alexfoxy

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2019
Love that others feel this too! For a while now I’ve been looking to downgrading my 13 to an 8 from my cousin. I love the smaller form factor, the home button and the design and I feel like this “simpler” (it’s all relative) might help me turn down my Screen Time and free myself from my smartphone obsession. Which is strange considering I’ve always wanted to upgrade to a Pro Max. Might look into a refurbished SE 2 or 3 though, they might have longer software support and value.
Try making the phone screen black and white in accessibility settings. It makes it much less fun!

aespana

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2020
I have an OG SE that I would really love to use but sadly it hace only 16GB that is like 10GB free after system files an just like 5GB after apps.. just impossible to use.

I really liked. The design and all

Reactions: rocketbuc

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
I have an OG SE that I would really love to use but sadly it hace only 16GB that is like 10GB free after system files an just like 5GB after apps.. just impossible to use.

I really liked. The design and all

I like the form factor as well but it doesn’t support iOS 17 so restoring from backup of my 15 is impossible.

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
I used to love the smaller form factor of iPhones from yesteryear, and honestly think I would have jumped at the chance of owning a Pro mini.

Not sure I would go back, but I don't know when I might upgrade from my 13 Pro. I just don't like the colours or finish of the iPhone 15. I don't need USB-C so might hold out a while and pick up a super discounted 14 Pro at a later date.

Reactions: Al Rukh

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I actually prefer the harder, 90° corners of the current designs.

I found the soap-bar design just too slippy.

But as skirts in fashion go up and down, I suspect we'll be back to slippery smooth pebbles soon enough.

🙂

Reactions: dk001

knirirr

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2016
Oxford
8 Plus -> 2022 SE feels like a downgrade to me. A shame that the 8 Plus has to be discarded - feels like it should have plenty of life left in it.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
8 Plus -> 2022 SE feels like a downgrade to me. A shame that the 8 Plus has to be discarded - feels like it should have plenty of life left in it.
Don’t see any reason why you can't continue use it as long as you don't care about the latest iOS features and it serves your needs.

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I use to have a 13 pro on launch day. Then went to a 14 pro max. Sold the 14 pro max after almost a year. Bought another 13 pro from a member on here. It’s nice to have the smaller phone again. When this one is not supported anymore. I will get another pro size.

Reactions: Sorinut and Al Rukh

Charlesrfinal

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2021
You want to downgrade...

Your life, your choice, your phone. Do it. But if the downgrade is for nostalgic reasons, maybe go back in time a bit more and get a blueberry.

Personally, my 15PM is awesome. Perfect quality, great battery life, awesome camera system. I'd never downgrade.

Reactions: Al Rukh

knirirr

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2016
Oxford
Don’t see any reason why you can't continue use it as long as you don't care about the latest iOS features and it serves your needs.

I'd agree, assuming that Apple does continue patch all security holes in iOS 16 (this is unclear). The anti-theft feature has been the only new one of interest.
But, all Apple watches now on sale will come with WatchOS 10, and cannot be paired with an iPhone running iOS 16, which makes older iPhones a poor choice for anyone wanting to use an Apple watch.

Reactions: Euroamerican

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Last year when I had the 14PM - 100%. That thing was an absolute brick (Physically.) I still have my 11 Pro and it is by far the best iPhone design ever, IMO. The increase in size and flat edges of the 12 were a downgrade in terms of usability (Though they do look nice.)

But…then I got the 15PM - the weight drop and the subtle rounding of the edges make it feel so much nicer than the 14PM.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I've been thinking about it for quite some time now...

I'm thinking of switching from iPhone 11 Pro Max to iPhone 11 Pro and from iPhone 14 Pro Max to iPhone 13 Pro... For some cash...

Or even getting the iPhone 13 mini... However, non-Pro model iPhones cannot shoot ProRAW, I guess it's already in the name...

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Bought XR in 2019. Had 6 before that. FaceID is nice and battery life has been excellent. Other than that I would gladly go back to a smaller thinner iPhone. This XR is uncomfortable to use day-to-day. Too big, too heavy and slippery without a case. Using case makes it even bigger. There was something sleek about iPhones before. Kinda miss that.

Edit: Having said that, I do not like rounded edges. Not on XR not on 6. Before 6 I had iPhone 4s. Still my favorite. Always wanted to have 5/5S/OGSE. I wish they made a model with that body but with full sized screen with notch/pill. That would be so sleek.
Did you just describe a 13 mini?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.