Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LionTeeth

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2022
You’re not crazy, OP. Since 2019 I’ve sorta wanted to downgrade back to my jet black iPhone 7.

Easily held, grippy, unique finish, solid state button, 128gb which was huge back then. The battery is roasted and the earpiece speaker is broken. It would cost me $350 to fix it, and then use a phone that’s approaching a decade old so I went for the future and got the 15 pro

But I still have it, still pick it up wistfully sometimes, and still wonder if I should’ve.

Reactions: Al Rukh

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
Well, the device I use to access my work BYOD program, I went from an 11 Pro to a 2nd gen SE. Same A13 chip, but 25% less ram, smaller battery, smaller screen, super retina to regular retina, OLED to LCD, back to touch ID, 512GB -> 128GB.

It's adequate, and for the security profile restrictions they place on enrolled BYOD devices (it's their program, so their rules, and joining is voluntary), I want to keep it separate from my main phone (14 pro max). Since the main functions are checking work email, and using it to attend Webex/Teams meetings, etc, a 2nd gen SE is more than adequate for that task.

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
Since the main functions are checking work email, and using it to attend Webex/Teams meetings, etc, a 2nd gen SE is more than adequate for that task.
Same situation for me.

I’ve got an SE3 as a work provided phone (though it currently doesn’t have any MTM software installed…hopefully it stays that way!), and it works great for what I need: phone calls, emails, conference calls etc etc. It’s small size is a bonus!

The only downside for me is carrying 2 phones...but I do prefer keeping my "work" and "personal" items separate...

Reactions: Al Rukh and dk001

Appledict

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2012
I actually did that. I have an iPhone 14 Pro Max but Gold Xs Max is my all time favorite design and I downgraded a couple of weeks ago. 14 PM is resting on it's box and I am rocking with oldie but goldie xs max. So far so good.

For me, (from time to time) design comes before performance and features.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I constantly transfer my eSIM from my 15 PM to 13 Mini. It’s always a joy to hold the mini but then I see the battery drain and immediately regret it haha

Lol, one of the pitfalls of smaller phones.

I pretty much had a power bank permanently attached to my SE3 while the family was on vacation. One of the few times I envied my brother's 15PM.

Regular daily use though, SE3 is often just sitting on a wireless charging dock at the office.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I constantly transfer my eSIM from my 15 PM to 13 Mini. It’s always a joy to hold the mini but then I see the battery drain and immediately regret it haha
Yeah, same feeling. Love the compactness of the mini, but prefer the battery life of the pro max even more.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I kinda miss the 11 Pro series of iPhones. The curved sides with the matte finish on the back makes it such a premium feeling device. I might downgrade my 15 for a 11 Pro Max but I’m still on the fence about it. When I do the math, I’ll lose some money with this move but whatever, you know?

I’m wondering if anyone has downgraded before or had the feeling to do so?
Yep - I went from a standard iPhone 11 to a standard iPhone 13 several months ago and it felt like a downgrade. Smaller screen (albeit higher res) and the glass back made it feel more fragile (and considering I use a case the back is a pointless fragile cosmetic "feature").

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
I very much regretted going from an X to a 11 Pro. The 11 Pro is just too big.

The current phone - a 13 Mini isnt going anywhere.

I see, but aren’t the X and 11 Pro similar in size? The only difference is the 11 Pro might be a little thicker than the X?

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
The only downgrade I’d really consider would be the 14 Pro or 15 Pro (I have the 15 Pro Max). I do miss medium sized phones a bit but I value the always on display, promotion, and Dynamic Island too much to go lower tbh.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I kinda miss the 11 Pro series of iPhones. The curved sides with the matte finish on the back makes it such a premium feeling device. I might downgrade my 15 for a 11 Pro Max but I’m still on the fence about it. When I do the math, I’ll lose some money with this move but whatever, you know?

I’m wondering if anyone has downgraded before or had the feeling to do so?
I've decided I'm not going to buy an iPhone again with lightning. Migrating to USB-C for more compatibility. So I resisted the urge to buy an SE last Black friday for under $100 as a backup phone.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
When I see the SE I daydream about downgrading to it just for the rounded sides.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Well I went for. 13 mini to 14 pro for a year. When they release the 15 line I went and brought a 512gb 13 mini the ultimate mini.

Reactions: geta

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
There’s something to be said for the really refined versions of the iPhone, like the 4s, 5s, 11 Pro, 13 Pro. The 5s and 11 Pro are my two all time favorite iPhones. The screen size on the 11 Pro was perfect and as the last of the iPhones with no 5G modem, the battery life felt endless. I truly regret “upgrading” to the 12 Pro Max because it was less comfortable in the hand and that first gen 5G modem was a total battery hog. If I were smart I would have kept the 11 Pro until the 13 or maybe even up to the 15 series.

As it stands now I have a 15 Pro Max and I do like it, I’m hoping to get to at least the iPhone 18 before upgrading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.