Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
The 15 Pro Max is the most comfortable and premium phone I’ve had, and I had the 11 Pro -> 13 Pro -> 15 Pro Max for my last 3. Going from a 15 to 11 Pro Max would be an upgrade for screen size, and one extra camera, albeit with worse image quality on all three lenses. To each their own, but if you’re comfortable with the size of the 11 Pro Max, the 15 Pro Max is negligibly larger, lighter weight, and as comfortable to hold thanks to the newer rounded edges. Not to mention a big upgrade everywhere else. And an upgrade across the board from the 15.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Do you agree with my suggestion
  • Flat side - no home button iPhones with less than 6.0" display
  • Round side - no home button iPhones with equal to or greater than 6.0" display

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I downgraded to iPhone SE 2020, thinking that it was just an iPhone 11 in iPhone 8 "clothes".

Major mistake, low quality, terrible product, don't recommend.

But any of the Pro iPhones of the last 3-5 years should be so over powered that I don't see why it would feel like a big downgrade.

The only big thing to consider is that iPhones 11 will hit the 4 year mark since launch this year. And they also only had 4GBs of RAM whereas iPhones 15 Pro have 8GBs of RAM.

If the materials and design of 15 Pro really irk you that much then just do it.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
I kinda miss the 11 Pro series of iPhones. The curved sides with the matte finish on the back makes it such a premium feeling device. I might downgrade my 15 for a 11 Pro Max but I’m still on the fence about it. When I do the math, I’ll lose some money with this move but whatever, you know?

I’m wondering if anyone has downgraded before or had the feeling to do so?
Miss my 11 Pro Max in Midnight Green tremendously (the best color Apple ever made). It was not true 5G, however, and that’s why I went with the 12 PM. Now with the 15 PM I kind of miss my 14– the steel still seems more premium. To me, this means I’m upgrading too often.

Reactions: Al Rukh

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
My 13 Mini is "fine" I guess

I'd honestly sort of thought by now with iPhones we'd have them thinner, lighter, lasting longer on a charge and just "better" than they are.

I really wish the whole lineup had more diversity of sizes, shapes, functionality, etc

For instance, I'd really like a smaller "iPhone Air" and/or a Watch option that could be truly standalone and require nothing from an iPhone or other device

Last edited:
Reactions: Unami and xpxp2002

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
No desire to downgrade, no. Not a fan of the lower image quality and rounded edges that would mean. But if that makes you happy then go do it.

swiftapplefan

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2023
Love that others feel this too! For a while now I’ve been looking to downgrading my 13 to an 8 from my cousin. I love the smaller form factor, the home button and the design and I feel like this “simpler” (it’s all relative) might help me turn down my Screen Time and free myself from my smartphone obsession. Which is strange considering I’ve always wanted to upgrade to a Pro Max. Might look into a refurbished SE 2 or 3 though, they might have longer software support and value.

Reactions: Al Rukh

sleeptodream

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2022
I’ve had this feeling, and actually got an 11 Pro, but it ended up being unable to be unlocked so now it’s just a pretty paperweight since I don’t have ATT 😅

The 11 and 11 Pro were the most beautiful iPhones ever made in my opinion, so I know exactly how you feel

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
The only reason I'd go back from my 15 Pro is for a smaller phone. I loved my 13 mini, but for everything besides size the 15 Pro is better. Battery life is a huge upgrade, I really like the dynamic island, and having a tele camera is a big plus. If Apple ever made these features available with a smaller screen, it'd be an instant buy, but until then I'll make do with the smallest Pro iPhone I can get.

• Love
Reactions: bevsb2 and xpxp2002

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
Owner of a 14 PM, sometimes still complaining the portability of 12 mini. But battery life and camera of 14 PM are so much useful.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I thought I was upgrading from an iPhone X to a 12 Pro, but quickly realized that the size of the 12 Pro without a case (and even more so with a case) offset any functional or performance improvement for me. I had given my X to my son so I downgraded to a 12 mini to get something I could use with one hand, but was disappointed by the 12 mini battery life — so a few months later I replaced the 12 mini with the 13 mini and I’ve been loving it! The 13 mini is durable and the build quality is excellent with glass back and elegant yet substantial feel even without stainless steel and frosted glass. I love this downgrade and have no desire to upgrade to anything else.

13 mini is peak iPhone. Still super fresh and plenty powerful, yet reminiscent of the olden days when shrinking tech was a marvel.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
I kinda miss the 11 Pro series of iPhones. The curved sides with the matte finish on the back makes it such a premium feeling device. I might downgrade my 15 for a 11 Pro Max but I’m still on the fence about it. When I do the math, I’ll lose some money with this move but whatever, you know?

No at all. I have been very happy with iPhone 15 pro max. It is the best iPhone from previous generations on anything. However, some might have different experience. Do what makes you happy. 😊 Keep calm and be happy what we have 😊 if not, do something about it to be happy. Life is too short to be unhappy on anything😊

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
Why in Tim’s name would you go back to an old phone after you got rid of it in the first place because you didn’t want it anymore?

People are weird😂

I’m very happy with the 15 PM, best phone so far in my experience.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
My Dad has an 11 Pro (in green) and I have to say - each time I hold that phone I'm nostalgic for the old design. It feels thin, light, and the camera bump is almost nothing.

I bought a 14 Pro when it came out after having an 8 and hated it. Too heavy, too big, and the camera bump was way too large. Settled on a 13 Mini and am very happy. I'm considering buying a second 13 mini to use when this one dies.

Still pick up my 8 occasionally and really appreciate its form factor.

Ta_whirimatea

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2023
I'd say just just hold off and save that money for another year or so…
There is only so much where Apple can still "innovate" each year about the hardware design. We had sharp edges and round edges before, now we had sharp edges again for a few years, guess what will come (back) next… ;)

Not saying it will definitely happen in 2024, but at some point it is likely edges will become rounder again.
Yup, I’m on a 13PM & the moment they announce a rounded edge model I’ll be buying the latest square one. Round edge is just too dam slippy (6s & 11+)

RinkDinkus

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2022
Instagram: maxzeuner
Feeling regret over upgrading from a 256GB XS to a base model 14 Plus. This **** is just so unwieldy and I miss having a camera that doesn’t try to autoHDR everything to hell

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States

Having just moved from an iPhone XR to an iPhone 15 Plus, I have zero desire or nostalgia for curved sides.

Reactions: Rychiar

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
Bought XR in 2019. Had 6 before that. FaceID is nice and battery life has been excellent. Other than that I would gladly go back to a smaller thinner iPhone. This XR is uncomfortable to use day-to-day. Too big, too heavy and slippery without a case. Using case makes it even bigger. There was something sleek about iPhones before. Kinda miss that.

Edit: Having said that, I do not like rounded edges. Not on XR not on 6. Before 6 I had iPhone 4s. Still my favorite. Always wanted to have 5/5S/OGSE. I wish they made a model with that body but with full sized screen with notch/pill. That would be so sleek.

Reactions: geta

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
It took me less than 24 hours to get used to the size of the 15 Plus, I won’t ever move back to a smaller iPhone.

I used a 8 Plus (roughly the same size as Pro Max) for two years and never got used to the size. Went for a regular Pro and am much happier.

Reactions: bevsb2

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
Since I'm still rocking my 11 Pro I have to come into all these kinds of threads that feed my bias and say oh yeaaaah best phone ever!

I have devices with more powerful chips as well as 120Hz screens elsewhere so I know how little I'm missing out on. The camera is also still nice enough considering the relatively small bump (back then we thought it was huge!) and I believe it was the first series with the wide angle that is oh so useful sometimes.

It'll be replaced either if i break or lose it, or when Apple sadly cuts iOS support.

Lesimac

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2019
Australia

i feel that would be a bad move on at least 2 points
1 loss on value in current phone, 2 support and operating system ends several years sooner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.