Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lion007s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Australia
I heard it was removed in beta 1 and possibly may have been a bug. Is it back in beta 2?

It's my favourite way on iOS 10 to switch between apps or pull up multitasking view on my 7 Plus. Love just 3D Touching on the left edge of the screen.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
It was terrible UI, and I believe/hope the removal is intentional. I often triggered it by accident playing games that had controls near the left edge of the screen.

Reactions: Vanilla35

robbietop

Suspended
Jun 7, 2017
Good Ol' US of A
They changed the Task Switcher completely. They removed the Home Screen Card and the 3D Touch gesture. Both of which are most likely not coming back, unless they are removed from the Dev Beta/Consumer Alpha for simple bug reasons.

Apple has a habit, however, of removing features to fit a design spec and completely ignoring all criticism.
If this is what the UI designers intend, you won't get it back. At least until next year if it is a popular enough feature.

Lion007s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Australia
I loved the design, it made the home button irrelevant for me apart from going home! Being able to conveniently swipe back to the previous app or opening the switcher was great! I never accidentally pressed it because it does require a bit of force, I won't be surprised if Apple introduces it on their buttonless iPhone 8....

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I loved the design, it made the home button irrelevant for me apart from going home! Being able to conveniently swipe back to the previous app or opening the switcher was great! I never accidentally pressed it because it does require a bit of force, I won't be surprised if Apple introduces it on their buttonless iPhone 8....
I would be surprised if it didn't come back in a later beta in some sort of new implementation. Loved that feature.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
They changed the Task Switcher completely. They removed the Home Screen Card and the 3D Touch gesture. Both of which are most likely not coming back, unless they are removed from the Dev Beta/Consumer Alpha for simple bug reasons.

Apple has a habit, however, of removing features to fit a design spec and completely ignoring all criticism.
If this is what the UI designers intend, you won't get it back. At least until next year if it is a popular enough feature.
Yeah, like Group Notifications. I hope those two features return at some point.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I really want the 3D Touch gesture back...it was my most used, I never once "accidentally" triggered it. Alas, I also wanted group notifications to return...and the Social widget Apple took away with iOS 7

Reactions: redbeard331

Lion007s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Australia
Well, I guess that's the end of that. Engineer confirms that the feature has been intentionally removed :(

https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/30/ios-11-3d-touch-app-switching-gesture-removed/

Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 5.29.13 am.png

Reactions: scapegoat81

xxanderxu

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2015
Last edited:

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I guess it was deemed unworthy of implementation in iOS 11. Sad day. It was one of the cooler 3DTouch features. RIP.
[doublepost=1498851794][/doublepost]
Thanks for the update. Personally not gonna update to iOS11 w/o the feature, it's the only 3D Touch gesture I regularly use. Hope they have a good hardware-related reason for this.
I mean I like the feature but not enough to keep me from upgrading to iOS 11. I’m loving the beta.

LosLoco

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
This is just plain old stupid. Removing the one 3D Touch feature, that many people actually use. And to further that, a 3D Touch Feature that would make so much sense if the rumors of a iPhone 8 without a home button is true.

Reactions: redbeard331

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
No big deal. It was on the wrong side for single hand use anyway, so I only used it when I had a jailbreak enabling it on the right border.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Can't really understand why they'd remove this though I personally always thought it was horrible for this reason

It was on the wrong side for single hand use anyway

and it always felt like my 7+ was about to fly out of my hand when I tried to use it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.